closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dog walking torch - any recommendations for rechargeable & wall mounted?

Craftsman

Dog walking torch - any recommendations for rechargeable & wall mounted?

There are loads of quiet lanes and woods around our new place and its great for walking the dogs but there is no lighting so with the nights starting to come in I am starting to look for a wall mounted, rechargeable torch. Needs to have a general wide spread of light and then ideally some distance ability. The plan is for it to live on the wall next to the dog leads etc so it will always be charged and I can just grab it on the way out. Budget say up to £100.

I don't want one of the massive floodlight, zillion candle power type torches or one that could knock out a burglar, just one that will easily go in my pocket (say up to about 8" long) that's not too heavy and will do a great job

Anyone got something similar? Any recommendations?

This:

http://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/p...lenser-m7r.htm

... and a great site for kitchen knives too.

You're looking for old technology.

Have a look at some of the offerings from Fenix, LED Lenser or Surefire.

For what you want it for I would buy a reasonable head torch so that you can always see where you're walking and an LED torch for looking further afield. Forget rechargeable as the batteries in modern LED torches last an age on anything other than lighthouse power settings. I bought one of THESE (Fenix PD35) and have not been disappointed; it's phenomenal for the size.
    Last edited by Skier; 23rd August 2014 at 13:21.

This is what I bought a while back from Flashaholics:

i4-Nitecore i4 Intellicharger £21.95
    AW123-Pair of AW 3.7 Volt RCR123A Batteries £11.95
    PD35-Fenix PD35 £59.95

Couldn't be happier with it tbh. I use it for dog walking, hill walking and camping and it lives in the car.

I would question the need for a torch at all - after a few minutes your eyes will adjust and you'll have reasonable night vision; if a car comes along you just need to close one eye and your vision come back almost immediately. If you still need a torch from time to time then I'd keep a modern LED one in your pocket; as others have said, no need for a rechargeable.

We went for an evening walk on a deserted beach on the Baltic Coast over the New Year break and the only thing that came near to spoiling it was the number of idiots with torches doing their very best to blind everybody else around them; enjoy the moonlight and the stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    For what you want it for I would buy a reasonable head torch so that you can always see where you're walking and an LED torch for looking further afield. Forget rechargeable as the batteries in modern LED torches last an age on anything other than lighthouse power settings. I bought one of THESE (Fenix PD35) and have not been disappointed; it's phenomenal for the size.
    that is way over priced, you can get the same thing from ebay for a tenner http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Cree-Q5...item4ad8703e86 you even get a rear bike light thrown in and it also takes normal AAA batteries or if you want even more light, stick a 18650 in, but then you get into battery chargers for the 18650.

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    that is way over priced, you can get the same thing from ebay for a tenner http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Cree-Q5...item4ad8703e86 you even get a rear bike light thrown in and it also takes normal AAA batteries or if you want even more light, stick a 18650 in, but then you get into battery chargers for the 18650.
    Hardly the same thing and what's overpriced to you, isn't to me. I've previously bought a cheap LED torch (and have something similar to your link for one of my bikes); there's no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Hardly the same thing and what's overpriced to you, isn't to me. I've previously bought a cheap LED torch (and have something similar to your link for one of my bikes); there's no comparison.
    what's different about the one you linked to the one I linked for £8.50?

I was just pointing out the same thing is £50 cheaper, sorry but don't shoot the messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    what's different about the one you linked to the one I linked for £8.50?

I was just pointing out the same thing is £50 cheaper, sorry but don't shoot the messenger.
    The spec? One is "output 400ml [sic] max" and the other "Maximum output of 960 lumens".

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    The spec? One is "output 400ml [sic] max" and the other "Maximum output of 960 lumens".

Put a 18650 in the one I linked and you have the same torch, I could have linked a 1000 lumen torch for even less then £8.50 but I chose one that could be used with household batteries, not to mention the OP said they didn't want loads of lumens.

So yes different specs but essentially the same torch.

Master
    I bought an LED Lenser P7 a few years back which is used most nights when walking the dogs, not least because I walk them at stupid o'clock at night!

Anyway,i digress, I decided it was time for an upgrade so got another LED Lenser -

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/profess...320-lumen.html

Absolutely stonking torch and the service from torch direct was fantastic!

The torch is plenty powerful enough, small enough that it fits in a fleece / jacket pocket, is very well built, water resistant..... Trust me, it is a great torch.

Paul
    Last edited by gingerboy; 24th August 2014 at 01:05.

Craftsman
    Have a look at the Superfire (clones of Surefire) torches on ebay.

I've got a couple and they're pretty good quality and compatible with Surefire accessories. I use mine with an upgraded bulb (to allow for higher output batteries) and 4 x rechargeables that last for ages.

Master
    For evening/night winter dog walking I also use headtorches too. (Also use for running).

I've a fenix one I forget which model - and a mammut x-shot I think.

Both very good.