closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I was nearly scammed today, beware Chrono24 seller Philip Hawkins.

Master

I was nearly scammed today, beware Chrono24 seller Philip Hawkins.

In my quest for a Planet Ocean, I found myself trawling the pages of Chrono24 last night. I stumbled across a very reasonably priced 8500 model and asked the vendor for a pic of the watch back showing the serial number and red dot. To cut a long story short, he sent me the picture I wanted but I noticed that the end links weren't stamped as I thought they should be. Having a little time on my hands, I started looking at listings on eBay at the newer models for watches without the stamped end links. I found a couple with similar end links, but what was more more sinister was that I found the exact same watch listed on eBay by a seller/trader at the other end of England! When questioned, the Chrono24 vendor (Philip Hawkins) was very convincing saying that somebody had stolen his pictures and were using them. However, I had dealt with the Ebayer previously, so I contacted him, had a lengthy chat with him, and established that the guy on Chrono24 was in fact the original owner of the watch, had already sold it, and was now trying to sell it again!!!

I have had a lucky escape. The Chrono24 listing has now been removed but just keep an eye out for this seller in future.

Have a good weekend.

Steve.

Thanks for the warning. I don't use Chrono24, do they have a reporting function?

Craftsman
    Scary,but unfortunately i have herd this before,is the idea to send the watch and then when the buyer says its not there the seller just disappears?.

tony

Craftsman
    thanks for the heads up. Even though no one may be currently using him/her, always acts as a good reference for potential future buyers doing searches :)

Edit: well done on your due diligence. Saved you a lot of money and hassle. Good save.

Banned

this guy?

You mean this guy? Google Play given em 100% massive feedback. If not, prob best to clarify.

http://www.chrono24.com/?SETLANG=en_GB&SETCURR=GBP

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...4.mobile&hl=en

Not bloke, but very reputable and respected company so just wanted to clarify if different.

Master
    Bongodave, I can't quite see who you are referring to, but I was referring to a private seller on Chrono24.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Bongoguy, I can't quite see who you are referring to, but I was referring to a private seller on Chrono24.
    I've given two, clear links of Chrono 24 who would be most upset if this is not who you are referring to.

Just check the links and be careful as companies with the size and reputation of the links shown will eat you for breakfast slander-wise.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bongodave View Post
    I've given two, clear links of Chrono 24 who would be most upset if this is not who you are referriing to. Please do not call me BongoGuy by the way. I do not know you and do not appreciate it.

Just check the links and be careful as companies with the size and reputation of the links shown will eat you for breakfast slander-wise.
    The OP is very clear in his post, so I'd say you can wind your neck in.

Master
    Chrono24 is a market place, like ebay. There are numerous sellers on it so it goes without saying some are legit, some not. Just so happens by the sounds of it the guy the OP mentioned isn't.

Sorry if I didn't understand your comment and you actually know this guy.

Also thanks OP for heads up

You mean this guy? Google Play given em 100% massive feedback. If not, prob best to clarify.

http://www.chrono24.com/?SETLANG=en_GB&SETCURR=GBP

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...4.mobile&hl=en

Not bloke, but very reputable and respected company so just wanted to clarify if different.
    Last edited by Rodder; 22nd August 2014 at 20:10. Reason: Thanks for heads up

Please do not call me BongoGuy by the way. I do not know you and do not appreciate it.
    He didn't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    He didn't.
    I edited asap. Apologies.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Chrono24 is a market place, like ebay. There are numerous sellers on it so it goes without saying some are legit, some not. Just so happens by the sounds of it the guy the OP mentioned isn't.

Sorry if I didn't understand your comment and you actually know this guy.

Also thanks OP for heads up
    I don't know them. Merely pointing out it would be wise to point out the seller, rather than the company as they sound very legit and respected. Big enough to sue for libel too!

I don't know them. Merely pointing out it would be wise to point out the seller, rather than the company as they sound very legit and respected. Big enough to sue for libel too!
    He named the seller... I wasn't confused.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    The OP is very clear in his post, so I'd say you can wind your neck in.
    Sorry, are you actually telling me to wind my neck in for pointing out, in a friendly manner, that he is laying himself open to litigation by a huge and well-respected company?

Maybe you can tell the judge to wind his neck in with libel laws.

Unbelievable. Listen to your own advice perhaps.

Banned
    Sorry, are you actually telling me to wind my neck in for pointing out, in a friendly manner, that he is laying himself open to litigation by a huge and well-respected company?

Maybe you can tell the judge to wind his neck in with libel laws.

Unbelievable. Listen to your own advice perhaps.
    It wasn't friendly (IMHO) and he wasn't 'laying himself open to litigation'.

The post was clearly not referring to those types who 'eat people for breakfast', but some scamming scumbag.

Take your time perhaps and whilst you're finding your way around, try not to sue everyone

Master
    He does: 'the Chrono24 vendor (Philip Hawkins)'. Even Chrono24 acknowledge they have some sellers better than other, hence trusted seller status (I know, I know).

Let me add welcome to the site, I'm reasonably new here as well, from what I've seen you'll find it a great source of information.

Just a suggestion, take it or leave it. A good way to start the site is with an introduction of yourself, maybe a bit about your current watches why you like watches etc.

Alternatively you might have some watch related questions you need help with.

You've chosen to start by critiquing a fellow members post, which is fine, not the way I would have started. But, I would suggest if you choose that route at least read it carefully.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    It wasn't friendly (IMHO) and he wasn't 'laying himself open to litigation'.

The post was clearly not referring to those types who 'eat people for breakfast', but some scamming scumbag.

Take your time perhaps and whilst you're finding your way around, try not to sue everyone
    Hilarious. Been here under 24hrs and already sussed from a virtually ignored post and comments on here that this group is not about discussing watches, but botching about people and keeping info to self, along with frankly rude, very unfriendly comments.

Out of here. Enjoy your knitting circle ladies.

Master
    Your a charming fella!!!

Hilarious. Been here under 24hrs and already sussed from a virtually ignored post and comments on here that this group is not about discussing watches, but botching about people and keeping info to self, along with frankly rude, very unfriendly comments.

Last edited by Rodder; 22nd August 2014 at 23:35. Reason: little, stand corrected

It would be impolite for me to say what I have "sussed" about you from your initial posts...

Craftsman

something tells me you wont be missed.

Master
    Bongodave, I think you need to read my original post. I am highlighting a potential fraudster using Chrono24. Chrono24 won't be suing me for libel, I haven't said they are trying to defraud me but one of their customers are. You haven't been on here long, and probably won't be given much respect if you continue to post trigger-happy, car-crash replies to threads you clearly haven't understood in the first place.

Now, back to my knitting.

Does anybody have the pattern for an Omega Planet Ocean?

I dropped a stitch reading this, darn it.

Craftsman
    No, but my neighbour could probably knit a decent impersonation of a NATO for one

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Your a charming little fella!!!
    Actually 6ft 4 and that's 'you're'

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    It would be impolite for me to say what I have "sussed" about you from your initial posts...

Errrr, what was that you just posted. I have sussed the way folk seem to operate here. Seems bitching is shared more than watch info. Typical keyboard warriors missing spine.

Banned
    Bongodave, I think you need to read my original post. I am highlighting a potential fraudster using Chrono24. Chrono24 won't be suing me for libel, I haven't said they are trying to defraud me but one of their customers are. You haven't been on here long, and probably won't be given much respect if you continue to post trigger-happy, car-crash replies to threads you clearly haven't understood in the first place.

Now, back to my knitting.

I think you need to clearly name a seller and not the company they use! Read up on libel laws and come back to me.....in between your knitting, naturally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    I dropped a stitch reading this, darn it.

Actually funny.

Master
    Please read the title .

Banned
    That's it now. As said, joined for info, not tripe attempts to bully and belittle. Bit sad as any new collector visiting threads like this will take up stamp collecting instead. Can't lick that.

Very revealing when folk decide to judge a member by their first couple of posts. You could well argue I have judged you guys, but with comments such as the ones made (humorous ones aside that were actually funny) it's not too difficult to do.

Prob best to go with instinct and avoid conflict with plastic keyboard gangsters. I haven't the time for em and every second is too precious to lose with wasters with mental age of kindergarten bullies in special needs dept.

Seeya. Like to say it was fun, but will focus on an interesting hobby and not the people within it.

Bongo X

- - - Updated - - -

Please read the title .
    Please read.

God point OP, could never be to certain.
    I always do google pics on sellers picture, often they are stolen.

To Bongo, are you for real?

Banned
    Out of here.
    Always good to see someone standing by what they say

Actually 6ft 4 and that's 'you're'
    Errrr, what was that you just posted. I have sussed the way folk seem to operate here. Seems bitching is shared more than watch info. Typical keyboard warriors missing spine.
    I think you need to clearly name a seller and not the company they use! Read up on libel laws and come back to me.....in between your knitting, naturally.
    Actually funny.

Master
    Bongodave, step back and take a different approach. This IS a good forum with plenty of members who are willing to help others.
    The fact is you jumped in a little too quickly with your accusation of the OP claiming that Chrono 24 were trying to scam him. He never said that, he states in the title of the thread the name of the person who tried it on.

Regards,

Ivor.

Craftsman
    I was nearly scammed today, beware Chrono24, seller Philip Hawkins.

Master
    But you're still on-line reading this post.

That's it now. As said, joined for info, not tripe attempts to bully and belittle. Bit sad as any new collector visiting threads like this will take up stamp collecting instead. Can't lick that.

Very revealing when folk decide to judge a member by their first couple of posts. You could well argue I have judged you guys, but with comments such as the ones made (humorous ones aside that were actually funny) it's not too difficult to do.

Prob best to go with instinct and avoid conflict with plastic keyboard gangsters. I haven't the time for em and every second is too precious to lose with wasters with mental age of kindergarten bullies in special needs dept.

Seeya. Like to say it was fun, but will focus on an interesting hobby and not the people within it.

Bongo X

- - - Updated - - -

Please read.

Master
    I read this thread twice assuming I had missed something, and try to figure out if some posts had been edited or deleted

I don't think the OP could have been much clearer in naming an individual

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Bongodave, step back and take a different approach. This IS a good forum with plenty of members who are willing to help others.
    The fact is you jumped in a little too quickly with your accusation of the OP claiming that Chrono 24 were trying to scam him. He never said that, he states in the title of the thread the name of the person who tried it on.

Regards,

Ivor.

I need to take a different approach? Hhhmmm..... like maybe a non libelous one? Is there anyone here who can teach me this? Anyone? Maybe the prosecuting libel judge could give a few pointers.

Just wondering. After all, I got Chrono 24 from post firstly as it was mentioned first. Think find this is blatant libel which was initially politely pointed out with a retort of snort.

Righty oh. Lovely.

I need to take a different approach? Hhhmmm..... like maybe a non libelous one? Is there anyone here who can teach me this? Anyone? Maybe the prosecuting libel judge could give a few pointers.

Just wondering. After all, I got Chrono 24 from post firstly as it was mentioned first. Think find this is blatant libel which was initially politely pointed out with a retort of snort.

Righty oh. Lovely.
    Your knowledge of defamation law is on a par with your English comprehension skills I see.

Righty oh. Lovely.

Do you even know what chrono24 is?
    Have you read the OP?

Ppl are just trying to tell you all is good.
    Nobody are doing what you saying they are.

Take a chill pill

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
    I was nearly scammed today, beware Chrono24, seller Philip Hawkins.

Not after this. Phone will stop buzzing notifications you guys are still bearing teeth with your pearly-knitwear balaklavas in a fetching floral pattern. Once the account has been disconnected there will be peace and a bright future for my hobby, along with a sweet continuation of my relationship with uncle google who informs, not berates.

Ta da.

Master
    It's like naming a bad seller on ebay, you are shaming the seller, not ebay.

Same if you name a dodgy seller at a market or shopping centre, they are all mark places for people to sell goods.

Righty oh. Lovely.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwind View Post
    Do you even know what chrono24 is?
    Have you read the OP?

Ppl are just trying to tell you all is good.
    Nobody are doing what you saying they are.

Take a chill pill

Tell it to the judge and look up libel by association along with paramount naming. Interesting read.

Interesting technique too. Member makes polite, friendly referal to a post requesting clarification for op's sake. Member gets barage on false, old-men's teeth gnashing at heels. Person gets told to take a chill pill. Irony is hilarious!
    Last edited by bongodave; 22nd August 2014 at 21:51.

Righty oh. Lovely.

Give it a rest and show us your watch collection.

Not after this. Phone will stop buzzing notifications you guys are still bearing teeth with your pearly-knitwear balaklavas in a fetching floral pattern. Once the account has been disconnected there will be peace and a bright future for my hobby, along with a sweet continuation of my relationship with uncle google who informs, not berates.

Ta da.
    Hopefully that's the last we see of him / her. To the OP, many people use Chrono24 here so your assistance and community spirit is much appreciated by all (well, almost all), many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Hopefully that's the last we see of him / her. To the OP, many people use Chrono24 here so your assistance and community spirit is much appreciated by all (well, almost all), many thanks.
    He's still here... "modifying post" in this thread apparently :)

Tell it to the judge and look up libel by association along with paramount naming. Interesting read.

Interesting technique too. Member makes polite, friendly referal to a post requesting clarification for op's sake. Member gets barage on false, old-men's teeth gnashing at heels. Person gets told to take a chill pill. Irony is hilarious!
    You are boring.

OP, thanks for the heads-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    He's still here... "modifying post" in this thread apparently :)

He should modify his username and start all over

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Present law[edit]
    English law allows actions for libel to be brought in the High Court for any published statements which are alleged to defame a named or identifiable individual (or individuals; under English law companies are legal persons, and allowed to bring suit for defamation)[1] [2][3][4] in a manner which causes them loss in their trade or profession, or causes a reasonable person to think worse of him, her or them.

“ A is liable for saying anything to C about B which would be apt to make the average citizen think worse of the latter. ”
    A statement can include an implication; for instance, a photograph of a particular politician accompanying a headline reading "Corrupt Politicians" could be held as an allegation that that politician was personally corrupt. Once it is shown that a statement was published, and that it has a defamatory meaning, that statement is presumed to be false unless the defendant is able to raise a defence to his defamatory act.

Under English law, because companies are legal persons they can sue on the basis of libel the same as natural persons. Cases supporting this principle go as far back as the 19th century, such as South Hetton Coal Co. Ltd. v. North Eastern News Ass'n Ltd. [1894], and extend to more recent cases such as Bognor Regis U.D.C. v. Campion [1972][1] and the McLibel case, when McDonald's sued several protesters.

The 2006 case of Keith-Smith v Williams confirmed that discussions on the Internet were public enough for libel to take place.[8]

NOBODY HAS ACCUSED CHRONO24, IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD.

Read the thread from start

Master
    That being the case then eBay could take half the world to court (where is the rolls eyes smilie)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwind View Post
    NOBODY HAS ACCUSED CHRONO24, IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD.

Read the thread from start
    Read the law and the good natured, friendly way it was pointed out for benefit. Then read the countless posts where false teeth gnash at my heels! Take em out and put them back in the glass please.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    That being the case then eBay could take half the world to court (where is the rolls eyes smilie)
    Many are. As are they many times. Do some research and get back to me. And if you are rolling eyes, be careful not to knock over your false teeth glass!

Present law[edit]
    English law allows actions for libel to be brought in the High Court for any published statements which are alleged to defame a named or identifiable individual (or individuals; under English law companies are legal persons, and allowed to bring suit for defamation)[1] [2][3][4] in a manner which causes them loss in their trade or profession, or causes a reasonable person to think worse of him, her or them.

“A is liable for saying anything to C about B which would be apt to make the average citizen think worse of the latter.”
    A statement can include an implication; for instance, a photograph of a particular politician accompanying a headline reading "Corrupt Politicians" could be held as an allegation that that politician was personally corrupt. Once it is shown that a statement was published, and that it has a defamatory meaning, that statement is presumed to be false unless the defendant is able to raise a defence to his defamatory act.

Under English law, because companies are legal persons they can sue on the basis of libel the same as natural persons. Cases supporting this principle go as far back as the 19th century, such as South Hetton Coal Co. Ltd. v. North Eastern News Ass'n Ltd. [1894], and extend to more recent cases such as Bognor Regis U.D.C. v. Campion [1972][1] and the McLibel case, when McDonald's sued several protesters.

The 2006 case of Keith-Smith v Williams confirmed that discussions on the Internet were public enough for libel to take place.[8]
    And I was sure he was German American?
    Anyway, welcome to the forum BongoMag.