closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko GMT Diver info?

Master

Seiko GMT Diver info?

I've just moved on my Seiko Prospex GMT. It's just too large for my wrist and as much as I didn't want to admit that, it looked a bit, well, like a wall clock on me. Great watch though!

That watch was hopefully to be my perfectly holiday watch. A true/proper GMT function with Independant hour hand, water resistant, timing bezel, good quality but most of all, a Seiko. It's probably not the case but I feel it's less likely to cause me any trouble in a dodgy area abroad, compared to say a Rolex or Omega etc.

The only other model I can find in the seiko range to fit into all this is the MM600. I've just never tried one to know its size etc. Does anyone know how it compares?

Also, what's Seiko like for servicing down the road? A 50 year old omega can still be serviced by them and although I'm unlikely to keep any watch for that long, it's still nice to know it won't be obsolete in a few years if it develops an issue.

Pics and opinions would be great :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I've just moved on my Seiko Prospex GMT. It's just too large for my wrist and as much as I didn't want to admit that, it looked a bit, well, like a wall clock on me. Great watch though!

That watch was hopefully to be my perfectly holiday watch. A true/proper GMT function with Independant hour hand, water resistant, timing bezel, good quality but most of all, a Seiko. It's probably not the case but I feel it's less likely to cause me any trouble in a dodgy area abroad, compared to say a Rolex or Omega etc.

The only other model I can find in the seiko range to fit into all this is the MM600. I've just never tried one to know its size etc. Does anyone know how it compares?

Also, what's Seiko like for servicing down the road? A 50 year old omega can still be serviced by them and although I'm unlikely to keep any watch for that long, it's still nice to know it won't be obsolete in a few years if it develops an issue.

Pics and opinions would be great :-)
    I recently spoke to the service manager for Scandinavia and he says that Seiko guarantees spare parts for ordinary Seiko models for 20 years after the model has been discontinued - but all European service centers cooperate in order to improve spare parts availability from their own warehouses for a much longer period.

When it comes to GS, spares will always be available as Gisle put it.

The MM600 is a large watch and quite high on the wrist. Still very comfortable. Note that there is no quick-set date...

Cheers!
    Last edited by klockodile; 20th August 2014 at 18:02.

Hmm, if the prospex was too big im not sure you will get much more mileage out of the 600 im afraid. it is tall at 16.5mm but it wears real nice for me on my 192mm wrist. the lack of quick set is not such an issue as the hour hand is independently setting for a "true" gmt function. it is a light watch for its size being all Ti, the ratchet clasp is great in the summer or if you actually use it in the water. 72hrs reserve, mine is running at +1 sec per month at the moment, servicing and spare parts are not a worry as far as im concerned as I don't think they wil be dropping the spring drive movement any time soon but this is Seiko we are talking about kings of the discontinued.

if the >45mm is an issue and you don't mind auto's you may want to look at the Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT or the good old Omega great white and the Sinn U2 is a pretty understated watch and around the 44mm mark

I also spend a fair but of time in "Dodgy" places, west Africa, middle east and Islamabad next month and I can say categorically that its not the watch that gets noticed its you! if you look like a victim you will be a victim. the 600 is every bit as shiny as the SD and bad men don't generally give a rats arse what it is they just want it along with your wallet, shoes, jewels, jacket and phone. if you're not being paid to be there don't be there is my advice.
    Last edited by deerworrier; 20th August 2014 at 19:06.

The latest Prospex offerings (which I agree are too large) follow on from a range of now obsolete (and mostly JDM only) AGS and then Kinetic GMT movements, all with the same true GMT hacking feature.

Some of them were truly dive rated (e.g Scubamaster model SBCW003), others (e.g. Flightmaster SBCW005) were only 100m.

There are now Sportura Kinetic GMTs, like the SUN015P1 also available now, but these are also 100m and lack any movable bezel, as far as I can tell.

Some of the Landmasters also used the same movement, but personally, there is little I hate more than a pointless compass bezel. They revolt me.

I always wanted to try out the flightmaster, I like the look of the dual texture bezel. I believe there are a couple available for sale now.

In general (and I have looked hard at these, I too thought it would be a perfect holiday watch), the whole range is beset with lack of bezel, silly bezel, can't change the strap, too large, too ugly and all sorts of problems. The Flightmaster seemed the best of the lot, though the Scubamaster also looked good. SCWF has a Scubamaster for sale now, and I just joined to ask about it, but I need to wait before I can PM, so if you're a member, why not try him.

Dave

Craftsman

Holiday Watch

If you really want a holiday/reliable beater you can't go wrong with a BFK,solid and inexpensive,does what it says on the tin.

Craftsman
    I have a GS SBGF017 HAQ on it's way from Japan right now. I'm visiting Chile and Argentina in November and like you, I'm hoping a Seiko won't attract too much attention. It's 38mm which is a perfect size for me and very low profile. It also has an independently adjustable hour hand so a great travel watch, though no GMT function.

A nice review and photos of the SBGF017 -

http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japan...on-review.html
    Last edited by andymac66; 20th August 2014 at 20:38.

Master
    Thanks for all the recommendations, but especially this one...

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The latest Prospex offerings (which I agree are too large) follow on from a range of now obsolete (and mostly JDM only) AGS and then Kinetic GMT movements, all with the same true GMT hacking feature.

Some of them were truly dive rated (e.g Scubamaster model SBCW003), others (e.g. Flightmaster SBCW005) were only 100m.

There are now Sportura Kinetic GMTs, like the SUN015P1 also available now, but these are also 100m and lack any movable bezel, as far as I can tell.

Some of the Landmasters also used the same movement, but personally, there is little I hate more than a pointless compass bezel. They revolt me.

I always wanted to try out the flightmaster, I like the look of the dual texture bezel. I believe there are a couple available for sale now.

In general (and I have looked hard at these, I too thought it would be a perfect holiday watch), the whole range is beset with lack of bezel, silly bezel, can't change the strap, too large, too ugly and all sorts of problems. The Flightmaster seemed the best of the lot, though the Scubamaster also looked good. SCWF has a Scubamaster for sale now, and I just joined to ask about it, but I need to wait before I can PM, so if you're a member, why not try him.

Dave
    The scuba master looks fantastic! The one you've linked to looks a bit of a hotch potch but what sort of value would you expect it to be worth?

The landmaster/scubamaster are all great choices. The latter tends to go > 1k usd.

Here is the scubamaster on my 6.75" wrist:

Keep in mind that it will probably need a new capacitor from Seiko - an easy and cheap upgrade.

If you don't want to spend too much, keep in mind that just about any seiko/citizen quartz gmt will function the same way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andymac66 View Post
    A nice review and photos of the SBGF017 -

http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japan...on-review.html
    He's a member of here too, and WUS.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Thanks for all the recommendations, but especially this one...

The scuba master looks fantastic! The one you've linked to looks a bit of a hotch potch but what sort of value would you expect it to be worth?
    One for sale on WUS: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...3-1073903.html

I don't know the watch so I don't know if this is a bargain or a rip-off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    One for sale on WUS: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...3-1073903.html

I don't know the watch so I don't know if this is a bargain or a rip-off.
    Here's on here too.