closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hamilton on gumtree

Hamilton on gumtree

Looks like a nice watch to me. Anyone bought watches from gumtree before?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/ha...#photo-content

Master
    Blog Entries
    If they ask for payment using Western Union you've got your answer. I am pretty sure one of those was on SC recently, and they apcan be had for about £400 new...
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ght=Team+earth

interesting how if you google for "dodgy on line payment" the first result is an ad for paypal...

I've been tempted to in the past when it's been my only option (I think I was looking for an Omega Dynamic '90s at the time). In the end, the guy just wanted too much for a relatively knocked about watch without box or papers.

I kind of figured lots of the genuine sellers had overly high opinions of what their inherited/gifted watches were worth.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I kind of figured lots of the genuine sellers had overly high opinions of what their inherited/gifted stolen watches were worth.
    Fixed that up a bit ;)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Cant comment on the watch in question OP but bought a Tag Heuer that originated from Guntree at it was a fake, I very often look at Gumtree as its full of fakes .

Master
    Not a watch as such but bought some winter wheels and tyres off Gumtree a year or so ago-was for slightly more than the figures above. Were quite a bit cheaper than on Ebay and had no problems with the seller at all but did have a lot of communication pre purchase.

Have had a look at watches/accessories there a few times but as mentioned above, most look a bit dodgy and no real comeback if not real/as described

Grand Master
    I'd only buy off there if they were local and I could see and hold it.

Otherwise NEVER.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVlak View Post
    Looks like a nice watch to me ...
    Sadly, no. It's a 'Hamilton' that never saw the Hamilton factory, which closed decades ago. Most of it, if not all of it, was made in the Far East ... and, sadly again, that doesn't mean Japan.

You'd be well advised to save your money, save some more and then buy a better watch.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Sadly, no. It's a 'Hamilton' that never saw the Hamilton factory, which closed decades ago. Most of it, if not all of it, was made in the Far East ... and, sadly again, that doesn't mean Japan.

You'd be well advised to save your money, save some more and then buy a better watch.
    so are you suggesting this is a fake?

or are you just slating the 'Hamilton' brand, which of course is a re-launch of the famous Hamilton brand from previous years, not that any other person/company has done that before,

Officine Panerai as an example, also I am interested as to what part of the Swiss movement is made in the far east?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    Insofar as, to the less knowledgeable than you, it pretends to be something it is not, yes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    Insofar as, to the less knowledgeable than you, it pretends to be something it is not, yes.
    The photographs are quite small but they appear to be shots of a genuine Swiss made Hamilton watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    ... a genuine Swiss made Hamilton watch.
    Your ingenuousness does you credit, sir.

Craftsman
    Never looked on gumtree for watches before - this made me chuckle:

"Breitling bentley watch in very good condition unwanted gift from my father in law has stamps all over it and theres 1s on ebay not nearly as nice as this watch with no papers for £2000+ but im open to offers as i have no papers with it but i have done the tests on the net to spot a fake and mine seems genuine"

Asking £100

Master

Grand Master
    So are you saying it's a fake, not made by Hamilton (a brand of the Swatch company)? Or that it is perfectly legit, but you're just trying to make some all-knowing, WISsy yet actually very unhelpful comment?
    Last edited by andrew; 21st August 2014 at 15:59.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman
    Watch looks legit to me. Yes, hard to tell from photos, but overall it looks good. Only thing wrong is he bought it at Ernest and Young? Going to guess he has mixed Ernest Jones who sell watches with Ernst and Young business/investor/etc people.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The photographs are quite small but they appear to be shots of a genuine Swiss made Hamilton watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    So are you saying it's a fake, not made by Hamilton (a brand of the Swatch company)? Or that it is perfectly legit, but you're just trying to make some all-knowing, WISsy yet actually very unhelpful comment?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaCat View Post
    Watch looks legit to me. Yes, hard to tell from photos, but overall it looks good. Only thing wrong is he bought it at Ernest and Young? Going to guess he has mixed Ernest Jones who sell watches with Ernst and Young business/investor/etc people.
    I didn't reply to tinker for the reason that I thought he was being pedantic at best, to come up with this line of reply in a thread to discuss the authenticity of a modern watch that using a brand name from the past was stupid,

yes its a brand from the past, and the modern equivalents are not from the same stable, but to suggest in his WIS intellectual tone that they are fake and made in China is pure nonsense, the modern day Hamilton brand produces, in my opinion some of the best bang for buck watches out there, using ETA movements with a superior build quality to more expensive brands.

I haven't came across tinkers collection of watches, but I would assume by his tone that he is a Seiko fan, probably with a GS who likes to slate Rolex etc etc, sadly I feel his watch knowledge is limited, bit like my 14 year old daughter discussing Scottish independence, lol.