closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Omega Seamaster 300 (re-edition)

New Omega Seamaster 300 (re-edition)

I did do a search, but didn't find anything on this.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introdu...master-coaxial

I think it looks great, but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking Omega are hitting their back catalogue pretty hard of late in terms of design ideas.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it looks great, I was hoping to see the show sames that go round the boutiques but no joy. I did ask about prices; SS is £4170, blue titanium about £5.5, TT versions were about £3k extra.

It looks terrific but doesn't spark any passion for me - maybe in the hand it's appeal will grow
    Gray

Grand Master
    Andy, Classics are always classics as you well know, look at car design and bikes! I think it is a great looking watch, slightly heavy on price but non the less a superb looker, simple, historic, and with good pedigree for the money. Worth a punt any day of the week
    RIAC

Banned
    Very nice, due in store later this month.

Master
    Blog Entries
    According to the Omega Boutique in Bluewater they won't be available until February or March 2015.

I wish they hadn't done the fake vintage lume thing to be honest. Can sometimes look naff, and it does here in my opinion.

Banned
    Love the design and that's from a non-fan of the hand style, but...

Hate aged lume.

Not for me.

Is it just me that thinks the polished centre links totally ruin any credibility it might have had? Not in keeping with the vintage vibe at all IMO

Master
    Blog Entries

Master

Yes

[QUOTE=jounetsu;3236733]Is it just me that thinks the polished centre links totally ruin any credibility it might have had? Not in keeping with the vintage vibe at all

I agree about the polished sections on the bracelet, it just doesnt sit right with the vintage look!! You have to wonder what this aged lume is going to look like when this watch is a actually vintage??

Will reserve judgement until see one in the flesh but agree with other comments about the bracelet.
    Seems to look better in pictures where the bracelet isn't so prominent.

The faux aged lume kills it for me. The polished links don't help matters.

Shame.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Looks very p o ,2254 hybridish to me and i don't really know about the broad arrow hands , am i alone in thinking it also looks very breitling heritagey, do i like it...... i think i'll reserve judgement till i see one in flesh .

Aged lume really spoils it!

Grand Master
    [QUOTE=subchris;3236742]
    Quote Originally Posted by jounetsu View Post
    Is it just me that thinks the polished centre links totally ruin any credibility it might have had? Not in keeping with the vintage vibe at all
    The original was available with a part-polished bracelet - which is just as 1957 as it is 1987, or 2014. Agree that the bake-it-to-fake-it lume is a bit naff, and doesn't suit the vibe of the watch.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Aged lume is not good on a MY2015 watch. And those shiny centrelinks are crying out for a whole world of micro scratched pain.

Id like to see it in person before deciding on the aged lume but not keen on the PCLs at all.

Omega do like to produce lots of options, so maybe they'll do one without the fake aged lume at some point.

Well, I'm going to step out of line here, I actually like the lume and PCL's!

What I'm not so keen on (apart from the price) is the size and the display back, 40mm dia. and a solid caseback would have made the watch just about bang on for me.

I think the bracelet looks great, I'm just not a fan of that lume.

Blog Entries
    I think it looks rather tasty.

Love the fact it has no date as well.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Bit pricey in my view, but then again it'll no doubt be available at a discount so could be closer to £3200 from some sources. And at that price I'm interested. For me though, it'll go on a strap so the bracelet would sit in the box. I think a nato or vintage tropic/leather strap would suit it well. Not sure about the aged lume, but will have to see it in natural light to make my mind up. I really liked the JLC Tribute to Deep Sea Memovox on a strap, but that didn't seem to sell too well - was it the price or the aged lume I wonder?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

Ant

Craftsman
    i saw it in the flesh a couple of months ago and to be honest it was a huge disapointment! (and thats coming from a real omega fan)

it just felt cheap somehow? i think it was the bezel, due to its simplicity it felt a bit poorly executed, something about the case i wasnt too sure on either.... all in all a disapointment.

On the other hand i saw the new tresor , now that is a superb piece! absolutely fantastic for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I think it looks rather tasty.

Love the fact it has no date as well.

Daddel.
    I agree, no date really keeps the dial clean...

Craftsman
    I love the design and am really looking forward to seeing one in the flesh. The polished links and aged lume did confuse me slightly at first though.

Banned
    I am with those who think the faux aged lume looks naff. No thanks.

Strange that loads of people don't like the aged lume, yet when Tudor released the red BlackBay and even "forgot" to age the bezel pip it was still hailed as the must have watch by a lot on here (myself included).

I personally think this Omega looks fantastic although I would miss the date function, so its not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

Hate aged lume.

Not for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderJameson View Post
    The faux aged lume kills it for me. The polished links don't help matters.

Shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    Aged lume really spoils it!
    I agree with these gents. Aged lume sucks.

Can't go wrong on the design, as the original(s) were brilliant. I just don't like this heritage/tribute-thing.

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    Strange that loads of people don't like the aged lume, yet when Tudor released the red BlackBay and even "forgot" to age the bezel pip it was still hailed as the must have watch by a lot on here (myself included)...
    I don't like the (red) Black Bay either, and I also don't like the JLC Tribute to Polaris and so on and so on... The blue Black Bay suits me much better.

Love the classic seamaster design on that 300. I usually prefer the normal line.

I see what you guys mean with the aged lume. Not a massive fan either but I see it going well with the classic design.
    I suppose a tribute/heritage watch is not for everyone.

The aged lime doesn't worry me one bit. I've seen other photos where it looks more cream than brown. Either way it doesn't upset me.

Polished centre links would be better brushed. But again a minor point and easily fixed.

I think it's a stunner and one of the best offerings from omega for a while.

Lovely - apart from the lume (there seems to be theme emerging!).

Tries a little bit too hard to be vintage possibly. To be honest if they just put those hands on a modern Seamaster 300m diver I'd be over the moon. Really don't like the current "Bond" skeleton hands much.

All in all a very good looking watch and a good move from Omega.

Would certainly like to see what this looks like off the bracelet.

Grand Master
    Strange that loads of people don't like the aged lume, yet when Tudor released the red BlackBay and even "forgot" to age the bezel pip it was still hailed as the must have watch by a lot on here (myself included).
    It's a matter of degrees - the Omega's lume just looks like coffee got spilled on the dial, whereas the Tudor's, although a little bit darker than (say) Oris or even Tudor's own Pegalos, is much more subtle:

I do see what you mean about the pip mismatch though. The pip looks almost blue by comparison.

Craftsman
    Looking forward to seeing one in the metal to see how everything sits together. Don't think the lume bothers me as much as the polished centre links.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

Hate aged lume.

Not for me.
    Steve's right on this one, re the lume. They're trying too hard for my liking with the aged loom look, it's 'fake vintage' and it doesn`t work for me.

In the hand I`m guessing it'll be like a vintage model on steroids and I won`t like it.

I had a quick glance at the Speedmaster Mk 11 reissue at the weekend and the finish on the case surprised me. Rather than the bold heavy-grained starburst I expected it was almost satin-finished instead but with a hint of a heavier grain too, which I couldn`t work out. An attempt to replicate an original that's worn, maybe?

With the 'reissued' models I`d prefer to see something that's almost an exact copy of the original............but they'll never do that, will they?

Paul

Master
    I'm going against the grain here, I think it looks great with the aged lume, and no date :)
    One of the better looking Omegas Imo.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    It's a matter of degrees - the Omega's lume just looks like coffee got spilled on the dial, whereas the Tudor's, although a little bit darker than (say) Oris or even Tudor's own Pegalos, is much more subtle:

I do see what you mean about the pip mismatch though. The pip looks almost blue by comparison.
    The red bezel plays it's part in dulling the lume colour as well. I'm sure with a black bezel it would be a completely different watch and the lume would stand out more. Plus it's lit differently. That picture gives me hope for the Omega.

Based on that picture, neither the PCLs or the lume bother me... And may even be something I like!

I bought an original Silverstone instead of the re-edition, sometimes it's a better bet to buy the new watch for useability though not always. Hard to know in this case...

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    ...(there seems to be theme emerging!)...
    Let's hope them designers will read it.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    With the 'reissued' models I`d prefer to see something that's almost an exact copy of the original............but they'll never do that, will they?
    To most people who aren't obsessive about detail, some of these reissues are almost exact copies - and why make something that is a complete facsimile of an original? I suppose they could put the Lemania movement in the Speedmaster Mk II case, fit a cheap mineral crystal instead of the double-AR sapphire etc, a simple folded-link bracelet, but the market for that watch will be zero since collectors and vintage fans will just buy an original anyway. Both the diver and the recent Speedmaster Mk II are only a mm each larger than the watches they're based on, which is probably unnecessary but shows considerable restraint given the size of all their other new product.

I think if you want a facsimile of an original watch, why not a regular Speedmaster? The only thing that's changed significantly is the machines they make them on!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    (...)

I think if you want a facsimile of an original watch, why not a regular Speedmaster? The only thing that's changed significantly is the machines they make them on!
    Agree. Or a Submariner, whose design has changed over the years but that has always (more or less) stayed true to the original idea.

IMO the best way a brand can pay tribute to a certain watch is by not discontinuing it.
    Last edited by Eddy C.; 19th August 2014 at 13:05.

Craftsman
    I like it!!

Master
    I like the hands and bezel insert.

To me though, the bracelet looks almost too modern against a vintage head. On a decent leather strap though, it could look superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    I like the hands and bezel insert.

To me though, the bracelet looks almost too modern against a vintage head. On a decent leather strap though, it could look superb.
    I'd like to see it on a mesh

It's already been said, but the aged lume on the black bay is much more subtly executed.

However, even on that watch, where it works comparatively well, I'd prefer it without, hence I'd always go for the new blue version given the choice.

In general, I think aged lume is a bad idea. I want a re-edition, or homage, or just a retro styled watch to look like the watch (even if imaginary) would have looked new.

At it's worst, it looks overdone, and contrived and tacky, and there's a bit of that here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    I wish they hadn't done the fake vintage lume thing to be honest. Can sometimes look naff, and it does here in my opinion.
    I agree. It's vintage inspired, not a recreation.

Master

no!

I personally think this Omega looks fantastic although I would miss the date function, so its not for me.
    I genuinly hadn't really noticed the bezel pip difference on the Black Bay and I would have had one but I think you may have just ruined that for me😄 going to have to go for the Blue!!

Chris