closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gym watch advice.

Craftsman

Gym watch advice.

Sorry if this topics been done before, but does anyone wear nice divers to the gym? I'm thinking submariners, seamasters or PO's. marine masters. I'm asking because I've recently acquired a marine master and want to use it as a real everyday watch. Surely these types of watches are robust enough for this sort of use.
    Does anyone know if the movements can handle it and has anyone had any problems using Thiers for actual gym and sports activities.
    ( I'm not planning on smashing the watch with a weight plate or expecting high impacts)
    Any advice experience will be appreciated before I wreck my new watch.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It'll be fine but just don't take it on a bumpy bus ride...

Submariner

I've seen a guy in the gym who always wears his bi-metal submariner to lift weights so I doubt it is an issue. I've worn my Breitling as well when I forgot my locker key and never had an issue with that.

Sometimes wear my 8500 PO

I go to the gym every day and don't wear a watch. There's always clocks and timers in the gyms I've been in so I've never felt the need.

Also I'm a big girl with my watches and wouldn't want them dinged or scratched at all, which will happen. Which I suppose brings me back to your question - the MM will be fine to wear, but expect it to get knocked and buffeted about a bit. If it doesn't then you're not training hard enough! If that doesn't bother you then go for it.

To be honest most of the chaps I see in the gym displaying their expensive watch are normally the ones more interested in looking at their hair in the mirror or bicep curling 10kg in the squat rack (generalisation I know!). Just leave the watch at home and concentrate on your 10k pb!

Just buy a gshock

I'm sure it'll be fine although bear in mind that the MM300 wears tall so likely to be a knock-magnet.

I'd wear my G-Shock regardless of what other watches I owned because they're built to be knocked about and I wouldn't have to worry or be gutted when I marked a steel watch.

Why would anyone in their right mind wear a watch, ring or any other type of jewellery when on the weights???

You seriously want a watch slipping about or digging into your wrists when at the gym?

Master
    I've cycled with my autos including my Seamaster with no issues. If it can handle the vibrations from the road I'm sure they'll be fine in the gym. Only problem I see is a comfort one, they do get in the way sometimes, especially if you wear them on the loose side.
    I've had a few autos, and never really baby them, none have been damaged yet through wear. I think the wrist joint takes alot of the vibration out of any jolts. Your nerves will give way before the watch.

Have been wearing my submariner at the gym for he last 20 years, no issues...

Craftsman
    You pays your money and you takes your chances. I used to wear my Breitling until I saw someone bash their nice watch against a stack of weights - it needed a new piece of very expensive glass (at the very least).

I don't think you'll have a problem with the exercises per se, but in a gym environment where you have a lot of steel out in the open around do you really want to take the chance that you'll bump into something?

Now I'm content to wear my Polar heart rate monitor; it doesn't look very good but it does the job and I won't shed any tears if something happens to it...

Master
    I've worn my Seadweller most days for the last 12 years or so for everything yes its got marks and scratches etc on it but I purchased it to wear not sit in a safe.
    I've only recently bought a garmin fenix 2 for gym use as a heartrate monitor etc and gps on runs and cycling before that it was my Seadweller.

It all depends on you and your attitude towards the watch, personally i didn't spend a large amount of money on a watch to only use it occasionally I bought it to wear everyday (well often being a member here I obviously own more than one lol ) I have watches that are specifically for going out etc.

If you're worried about marking it etc don't use it

Buy a Speedmaster. if it can cope with a ride on a Saturn V it'll probably be ok on a rowing machine. Do gyms have rowing machines? My only knowledge of gym equipment is from 1980s Argos catalogues when I was a child. Talking of which, some kind of Casio might be the ticket. And to be fair to the OP, I wondered how to clean my watches, all water resistant to at least 100m, as I feared for their safety when dunking them in clean water...We ask because we care. Aaahhh.

It'll be fine, but I'd wear it on a rubber strap to the gym, or you're likely to scrape the bracelet when working with dumbbells. Otherwise, wear the MM with pride and enjoy putting it through hell.

I like to wear a watch to time the rest period between sets, but I just wouldn't bother wearing a nice watch. I stick to a £10 Timex digital.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the imput everyone. Mixed responses. I have a few tool watches ( or so they claim)a seawolf panerai and a bell and Ross and I basically baby all of them. I'd never wear them in the gym. I got the marine master because I wanted a tough as nails watch which I would actually uses for everything. And develop a history with the watch. Bootneck the fact that you wear a seadweller for everything puts my mind at ease a little.
    Time will tell if I have the stones to wear it regularly for gym and and other hazardous activities or if I bottle it and wrap it up in my clothes when I get to the gym.
    Thanks again.

The clock on the wall for me. Seriously hazardous environment for proper watches, and I rarely wear HRM at the gym.

Banned

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by matt74 View Post
    Buy a Speedmaster...Do gyms have rowing machines? .
    if you wear a posh watch your gym will have an erg.

if you wear a casio it might have a rowing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I've worn my Seadweller most days for the last 12 years or so for everything yes its got marks and scratches etc on it but I purchased it to wear not sit in a safe.
    I've only recently bought a garmin fenix 2 for gym use as a heartrate monitor etc and gps on runs and cycling before that it was my Seadweller.

It all depends on you and your attitude towards the watch, personally i didn't spend a large amount of money on a watch to only use it occasionally I bought it to wear everyday (well often being a member here I obviously own more than one lol ) I have watches that are specifically for going out etc.

If you're worried about marking it etc don't use it
    Couldn't agree more, I believe utility watches should be worn not moddycoddled. By utility I mean divers etc, or pretty much anything apart from dress watches!

As it happens it was my first ever day at the gym this morning and I wore my submariner... No issues whatsoever, but I think a nice rubber strap model might be better tbh.

Get some parabolan, dianabol, Testoviron depot and anavar. Oh, and clenbuterol for good measure. Then you'll be fine bro.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Get some parabolan, dianabol, Testoviron depot and anavar. Oh, and clenbuterol for good measure. Then you'll be fine bro.
    Spot the guy who hasn't seen the inside of a gym since the 90s ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Spot the guy who hasn't seen the inside of a gym since the 90s ;)
    You got a lot of balls calling me out on this forum. Bigger than mine after taking all that gear.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    You got a lot of balls calling me out on this forum. Bigger than mine after taking all that gear.
    Heh! Very good!

The boys are still juicing and that's not a bad shopping list although it is a little dated.

FAOD, I have no interest in taking any of that stuff (and never have done) but I have trained with some serious types. I don't get much fancier than whey protein these days and maybe some creatine if I want to get really whizzy!

Craftsman
    Seiko Shogun (sbdc007)
    Made from scratch proof Titanium

I used to be a big gym fan and always wore a g shock - no worrying about whacking it against weights, I used to take it off and just drop it next to the machine I was using, take it into the sauna and plunge pool, never worried about it. And never even think about putting it in a locker because even expensive gyms seem to be a magnet for thieves

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I used to be a big gym fan and always wore a g shock - no worrying about whacking it against weights, I used to take it off and just drop it next to the machine I was using, take it into the sauna and plunge pool, never worried about it. And never even think about putting it in a locker because even expensive gyms seem to be a magnet for thieves
    Probably 'especially' as poor people have less worth nicking!

I usually wear an old Seiko Quartz Chrono to the gym, but sometimes I just wear the watch I had on, because I forgot to change it.

I'll admit, I've never done a session in my '67 Breitling Cosmonaute, but modern divers are certainly up to the job (I had my Dreadnought Voyager on the last time I went), although I'm not one of those iron pumping, weight lifting, admiring themselves in the mirror types .

M.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    You seriously want a watch slipping about or digging into your wrists when at the gym?
    This - even the wedding ring comes off! Just something to distract although I do wear my Aerospace when doing cardio as I don't notice it (Ti) but the timers are useful.

Gshock and use it for timing rests and making sure I'm not late to work in the morning. It spends most of the time off the wrist as a watch is distracting and constricting when doing the Olympic lifts.

Wedding ring definitely comes off as it would be chewed up by the barbell.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post

Wedding ring definitely comes off as it gets in the way of chatting up the ladies.
    fixed that for you ;)

fixed that for you ;)
    Ha. It's not really that kind of gym, especially not first thing I'm the morning...

Blog Entries
    Out of all my watches I wear my g shock gulfman

Banned
    Ha. It's not really that kind of gym, especially not first thing I'm the morning...
    You need to change gyms.

Quote Originally Posted by matt74 View Post
    And to be fair to the OP, I wondered how to clean my watches, all water resistant to at least 100m, as I feared for their safety when dunking them in clean water...We ask because we care. Aaahhh.
    If a watch has a metal or plastic strap, and it says at least 100M on the dial, it goes in the shower with me.

Can't stand mucky watches!

You need to change gyms.
    Sure, if you can find me a gym with Olympic weightlifting platforms and bumper plates, ten minutes from my house, with parking and for £200 a year - I reckon I can forego the flirting!

Banned
    Sure, if you can find me a gym with Olympic weightlifting platforms and bumper plates, ten minutes from my house, with parking and for £200 a year - I reckon I can forego the flirting!
    I note you are also in London - maybe I should be changing gyms! where do you go?

I note you are also in London - maybe I should be changing gyms! where do you go?
    I'll send you a PM

Banned
    I'll send you a PM
    Got it thanks - your inbox is full so couldn't send my reply though (not being rude). I know that one as I used to live a very short walk away but having moved out further now it wouldn't work with my schedule. Ah well, back to Gymbox and the beautiful people I guess!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Just buy a gshock
    This would have been my advice. It's the sort of thing they are built for, they have loads of features as well (although you might not need tidal patterns at the gym!!).

Got it thanks - your inbox is full so couldn't send my reply though (not being rude). I know that one as I used to live a very short walk away but having moved out further now it wouldn't work with my schedule. Ah well, back to Gymbox and the beautiful people I guess!
    Freed up the inbox now.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeb1 View Post
    ( I'm not planning on smashing the watch with a weight plate or expecting high impacts)
    No-one ever does........but scrapes and impacts do happen. Provided there are no security issues I`d leave it in your locker; I have a watch case that fits in the side pocket of my gym bag for this very purpose so it wouldn`t be easy to find for the opportunist thief. Ring and watch go in this every time, I never wear a watch in the gym and it's something I`d advise against.

Best activities watch (if you need to wear one) is the cheap black plastic Casio for around £10

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    I'm currently looking for a new gym. Is this one in West London?
    North London. But check out the training house in West London, it's cheap and pretty good.

I train most mornings and just wear a G-Shock, wearing a nicer watch in the gym wouldn't bother me but the sauna afterwards is supposed to damage the seals, so a G-Shock it is. As has been mentioned timing rest periods between sets is the only reason I wear one and keeping on eye on the time for work at 9am.

I used to wear my Daytona to the gym, watches are for wearing. No one will thank you for leaving behind a pristine watch when you are dead.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mj234 View Post
    I've seen a guy in the gym who always wears his bi-metal submariner to lift weights so I doubt it is an issue. I've worn my Breitling as well when I forgot my locker key and never had an issue with that.
    Only ever an issue if you drop something heavy or bang something hard against your watch,If just on yer wrist and never coming into contact with anything then it ain't gonna get damaged ........is it!.

Just wear your favourite watch most suitable watch. I wear my ball diver. Its my best watch, but I wont enjoy it in my drawer. Sure, you could damage it in the gym. But you could damage it anywhere else.

Master
    I've worn my Seamaster in the gym, playing squash, tennis, football, golf, fixing cars, gardening, DIY, swimming, in Saunas etc. etc. over a number of years, the only noticeable ding it's got on it I did on a door handle at work the day after I bought it!

I've even worn it in the shower!

Craftsman
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    I wore it to the gym today. Unfortunately I found myself very conscious of it and eventually put it in my pocket. I'm going to give it another go tomorrow. Hopefully its something I will get used to . I really don't want this one to become another babied tool watch.

Master
    You don't need a watch in a gym.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by uwtc View Post
    You don't need a watch in a gym.
    you might not. I use my watch every time I go to the gym. But thanks for speaking for the rest of us anyhow.

always wear my watch