closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko movement loose in case.

Seiko movement loose in case.

Hi folks, I recently received a Seiko 6309-7040 in a trade and upon setting the time noticed that the movement/dial shift slightly in the case when the crown is pushed in or pulled out. When the crown is screwed on there is no movement at all. Anyone got any ideas on what could be causing it to shift around?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

It's probably caused by a broken or missing casing spring. The first picture is the movement casing ring and spring, the second is how the spring fits onto the ring.

The caseback screws down onto the spring and prevents any movement. If it's broken or missing there will be little support and will allow the movement to move slightly when the crown is unscrewed. When the crown is screwed in, the spring on the split stem pushes the movement and ring against the opposite side of the case and prevents any further movement.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Looks like I could try and tackle this myself rather than send it away. Now to track down a case spring I guess.

Remanufactured ones are available on ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-Dive...item233db0bbb7

Blimey, this place is great! Thanks again, spring on order!

I had a 6309 once that rattled a bit... after a lot of googling I realised that ring - to left in the above picture - was in upside down. I think the movement and dial had been assembled with it between them - at least I think I had to take the dial off to seperate them.

Hmm. Got the spring today, fitted it in but although it's a bit better, there's still movement when the crown is out. It's definitely in the right way round :)

Any clue as to what else I can try?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Hmm. Got the spring today, fitted it in but although it's a bit better, there's still movement when the crown is out. It's definitely in the right way round :)

Any clue as to what else I can try?
    Normally the spring should "tighten" the dial stuck between the case edge beneath the crystal and the caseback.
    If it still moves, it means it isn't tight enough (not enough pressure), so you could bend the spring a bit to increase the pressure.

Edit: check the dial spacer as wel (the white ring which keeps the dail from getting stuck between movement and dial)

If it's broken (or the wrong one), this might be the problem as well. Also means that too much pressure (by bending the spring as described above) may cause the date wheel to get stuck.
    Last edited by Marco-T; 18th August 2014 at 19:34.

Cheers for taking the time out to respond. I think it's getting a bit out of my comfort zone as I don't really have the tools or skills to start dismantling the movement! I have some photos so hopefully if something obvious is missing you could possibly tell?

Cheers
    Chris
    Last edited by Grandiloquence; 18th August 2014 at 20:37.

Alle seems to be in place and ok.

Does the caseback say 6309-7040 or 6309-7049?

Reason I'm asking, you can (for example) switch a SKX caseback with a Seiko 5 caseback (some do in order to have a seethrough back on the diver), however the Seiko 5 caseback has shorter thread, hence doesn't "push" the movement in please.

If it does have these numbers.... I'd say take the pliers out and bend the spring a bit so it sits a bit higher / closer to the case
    Last edited by Marco-T; 18th August 2014 at 20:52.

Hi Marko, yeah, 6309-7040 on caseback. When you say bend the spring, do you mean to put some kinks in it rather than it being more or less flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Hi Marko, yeah, 6309-7040 on caseback. When you say bend the spring, do you mean to put some kinks in it rather than it being more or less flat?
    Yep, just bend the existing kinks just a bit more.

Same like a bezel spring, when the curve the kinks just a bit more the bezel turns more thight. This works the same way, only the kinks are in a different direction. So looking from the side, the spring is about 1 mm high.... by bending it, it would become 2-3 mm high.

I've had a few like this where bending the spring still doesn't completely stop all the movement. What I do in these cases is with a pair of scissors make a tiny spacer from a piece of thin plastic/celluliod (an old dial protector is what I use) and slide it between the case ring and the case, opposite the crown.

I think I'll have to do that as bending the spring didn't work.

Grand Master
    I have the same issue,but until I get the time to sort it then crown screwed in and no movement it will have to be.
    The guy I bought the watch off sent me a new case ring but it seems this may not in fact be the fix after reading your issues.
    Mine is a great 6309 with plenty nice patina to show its years ;-).

The case back O ring looks quite thick to me. Is it old and hard? If so remove and see if this improves the loose feel then buy a replacement.

Otherwise if I'm not mistaken there were a few movement holding rings made for Seiko's and you might have an older dress watch ring from a 6119 which maybe thinner.

Thanks for the additional replies. The o-ring is ok - not dried up or anything. Tried it without and same result. I think I would need another case spring as I only realised that the one I purchased was not the right model!

This is an all to common issue with some 6309's. Missing springs and/or missing movement ring. I've collected and worked on my own 6309's for years and cannop has summed it up nicely.

Once you get the right spring seated on the movement ring then it should be fine.

The spring is your best bet. There is one quick fix and that is a trimmed rubber gasket instead of the spring, but that has to be the correct thickness to allow the inner rim on the case back to compresses the movement ring. If the fitted gasket is too thick, it will not allow the case back to fit snug on the actual case back gasket. Too thin a gasket results in the same issue you have at present.