closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is it with knives?

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    I thought that was Don Covay.
    Don Covay was heavily influenced by Northern Philosophers particularly the Sages of West Yorkshire. 😉

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee View Post
    Don Covay was heavily influenced by Northern Philosophers particularly the Sages of West Yorkshire. 
    I thought it was a bit profound for seventies funk✌️

Just in case the OP (or anyone else for that matter) is still wondering what it is with knives, I can highly recommend the delightful videos that Stefan Schmalhaus posts to his YouTube channel. Here's one:

Edit Warning - prepare to be persuaded to part with large amounts of money...

Last edited by Cornholio; 8th September 2017 at 08:53. Reason: Additional comments detracting from main reason for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post

And here is a quick snap of my Laguiole enjoying an outing to the cricket earlier today:

Just when I'd started to think I'd tempered my desire for a Laguiole you went and did this to me!

Edit. You've made me want a pie as well . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Just when I'd started to think I'd tempered my desire for a Laguiole you went and did this to me!
    Sorry about that. I'm sure that Actiforge will be back from their vacances now if you want to put your order in. Oh, and thank you again for the recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    any more pictures of that knife? :) I'm always one the lookout for new (to me) uk legal knives.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    any more pictures of that knife? :) I'm always one the lookout for new (to me) uk legal knives.
    https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/...n-l0207bul.htm

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The length of the blade would disqualify it from what you call a 'UK Legal' knife. But it's a lovely thing.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The length of the blade would disqualify it from what you call a 'UK Legal' knife. But it's a lovely thing.

The Laguiole en Aubrac mini pocket knife linked to above happily has a 'UK legal' 5cm blade :)

My apologies. The blade looks longer, and all the Laguioles I've had exceeded the 3".

Ah, yes, they must be very small tomatoes and pie

I carry a spyderco uk penknife every day, everywhere - doesn't look to threatening, well made, etc. and non-locking/sub 3" so no plod issues (so long as I'm not shanking people with it) and a benchmade griptillian if i am in and out of the woods/allotment whatever. (This locks, so have to have good reason for it).
    Have not been without a pocket knife since I was a kid, and use them daily I reckon. Always pick one up cheap when travelling then bin it at the airport.
    If ever I forget one, 100% guaranteed I will need it that day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also have a lovely Le Thiers juniper-handled folder, proper gentleman-like. For peeling posh apples at a picnic and stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheap locker, 3.5 inch blade.

Last edited by bobbee; 31st May 2019 at 14:15.

Apologies for coming late to this thread.

I have more knives than I have watches....and I have a lot of watches!

Unless I am flying somewhere I rarely travel without a knife, mostly a SAK Executive or an Alox Classic. As others have said, it is surprising just how many times each day a small pocket knife comes in useful.

My knives are primarily working tools, so I tend to favour ones like the Frosts Mora, which are cheap, cheerful and (being flouro orange) unlikely to get lost in the undergrowth or the river.

However I have a number of more special items, made by craftsmen like Stuart Mitchell, Alan Wood, James Sponaugle and - my favourite of all - Joonas Kallioniemi:

There is something very tactile and satisfying about fine knives, so not that different from watches really.

I always liked a good blade
    I think knife making is an art and i fully appreciate it
    You always NEED another blade as you NEED another watch :)
    For everyday carry a spyderco is a must

Joonas' work is outstanding.

Just in case we get a ban next year here are a couple of links, watch the video.........................................

http://www.knifedrop.co.uk/buyers-end-users.html

http://www.knifedrop.co.uk/

Craftsman
    I have a couple of Gerber knives, which I have found to be really good quality. Obviously not as fancy as some shown here.
    I have one with a hook on the end that I keep in my jetski, just in case a rope gets sucked up and the one below I take out on dog walks. My kids often use it to whittle sticks.

Both are locking as I personally feel they are safer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    I have a couple of Gerber knives, which I have found to be really good quality. Obviously not as fancy as some shown here.
    I have one with a hook on the end that I keep in my jetski, just in case a rope gets sucked up and the one below I take out on dog walks. My kids often use it to whittle sticks.

Both are locking as I personally feel they are safer.

I hope you're not taking your dog for a walk in public :/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I hope you're not taking your dog for a walk in public :/
    No of course not.

Gransfors Bruk

I always wanted one so here is my first. I got lots of axes but this is classy but expensive. Blacksmiths initials on the cheek. 20 year warranty and the axe book is a good read. Mine is from Greenwood direct, recommended.

Excellent piece of kit. Small Forest Axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Excellent piece of kit. Small Forest Axe?
    That's the one.

A real pleasure to use. I am not that clever with my hands but using a great tool for a job is strangely enthralling.

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    That's the one.
    Looking at Greenwood Direct, I was interested to see the range of axe types, and wondered why you might choose the Forest axe over a Splitting axe etc. Happily Gränsfors Bruks have put The Axe Book up on their website (link) and it's also available as a pdf. As you say it is a good, informative read.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Looking at Greenwood Direct, I was interested to see the range of axe types, and wondered why you might choose the Forest axe over a Splitting axe etc. Happily Gränsfors Bruks have put The Axe Book up on their website (link) and it's also available as a pdf. As you say it is a good, informative read.
    Its nice to have the book, not a virtual copy. The warranty card asks you to work with the axe before you fill it in and make comment. Its a nice touch, you actually have to post it back to Sweden.
    I already got the heavy stuff. I like the bush-craft stuff and Tomahawks. The closest I own to this, at this level, is the Robin Wood but I need to use them back to back to make a fair comparison.

Master
    Blog Entries
    More into the practical side of carrying a knife myself and recently renewed the pocket knife I've had since a teen:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/entry.php?356...-Enzo-PK70-G10

Wouldn't be without one now, though in this country you have to take care if going to pubs/bars - usually best to leave it at home

Victorinox Explorer Army Knife

Nice deal if you like them, only £22.00 on Amazon. Thats about a third off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...&condition=new

Just tried the oldoak website and it's not working?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Just tried the oldoak website and it's not working?
    Ooops thanks for noticing that! Apparently my domain verification is out of date as someone (guess who)forgot to update their email address!!

Craftsman
    New companion for my toolwatch;

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I can understand the attractiveness of knives as collectibles, similar to watches and torches, but what is it with EDC? A Leatherman I can understand, or a Swiss Army knife with screwdrivers and scissors, but I struggle to think of a common every day task where a pocket knife is the best tool. If it's something you do at work, then can't you keep the appropriate tool(s) at work?

Is TZ-UK secretly populated with backwoodsmen?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I can understand the attractiveness of knives as collectibles, similar to watches and torches, but what is it with EDC? A Leatherman I can understand, or a Swiss Army knife with screwdrivers and scissors, but I struggle to think of a common every day task where a pocket knife is the best tool. If it's something you do at work, then can't you keep the appropriate tool(s) at work?

Is TZ-UK secretly populated with backwoodsmen?
    Think of a digital multi function watch, and then think of a three hander automatic. There you have the SAK vs. dedicated knife summed-up for us WIS.

I had to have a Hultafors so I went for this trekking axe from the Agdor range. Comes with a small suede edge cover. I would call it more of a work tool. You do not get that polished shaving sharp edge but I put it to work on some well seasoned Oak and it splits with ease. Lovely finish to the handle, just as good as the Gransfors. I was suprised but I really like this axe. Its big for trekking but it is one serious peace of kit. It was a present but they come in at about £35.00.

Note that Gransfors have done away with the metal wedges on some of its new stuff. Robin Wood in the middle with the Hultafors on the right.
    After that I decided to have an axe party, as you do......................................

What is it with knives?

I had to have a Hultafors so I went for this trekking axe from the Agdor range. Comes with a small suede edge cover. I would call it more of a work tool. You do not get that polished shaving sharp edge but I put it to work on some well seasoned Oak and it splits with ease. Lovely finish to the handle, just as good as the Gransfors. I was suprised but I really like this axe. Its big for trekking but it is one serious peace of kit. It was a present but they come in at about £35.00.

Note that Gransfors have done away with the metal wedges on some of its new stuff. Robin Wood in the middle with the Hultafors on the right.
    After that I decided to have an axe party, as you do......................................

Cool
    Like it and your collection
    Which of the Gransfors do you recommend for backpacking carving kindling?
    Last edited by raptor; 27th January 2018 at 16:34.

Do Victorinox pocket "knives" count? I've managed to amass about 5-6, as I find it really useful, 1 at work, one in the car, 1 in the kitchen, 1 in the study, that kind of thing! Plus I use these for most things, even screwing/unscrewing stuff since its so convenient just to reach for one. Oh, and the main reason I opened this morning, just this morning I managed to put a rather huge cash in my thumb, typing slowly as we speak since my right-hand thumb is double-bandaged as it was bleeding quite a bit. Tried using the main blade from one of the bigger ones I have for a job where probably a sharp thin screwdriver would have been more suitable (and safe!), bloody things are very sharp! So I guess I should definitely stay away from knives, I was really tempted about some small knives I've seen posted on SC, thankfully most can't be posted abroad even if I wanted to buy one

My latest toy. The Cold Steel Gladius. I thought it would not be the real thing but it is. Unbreakable handle. 19'' full tang blade. I put the cord on it. Sharp as sharp can be..............................

Be sure to check it doesn't freeze itself into it's scabbard.

Here’s some of the knives I’ve owned.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Cool
    The Gränsfors Small Forest Axe is one of the best if you can live with the price.
    The Fiskars X7 is an easy carry and one I would be happy to take trekking. Its got a quick release belt clip and is a joy to work with.
    Two very different tools.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Cool
    For that use the best GB axe is the wildlife.
    I personally carry the small hatchet (#410) and a Bahco Laplander saw, I find it does everything for the smallest weight.

The Gränsfors Small Forest Axe is one of the best if you can live with the price.
    The Fiskars X7 is an easy carry and one I would be happy to take trekking. Its got a quick release belt clip and is a joy to work with.
    Two very different tools.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Be sure to check it doesn't freeze itself into it's scabbard.

https://youtu.be/NkVwMAinC6M

ALL PRICES SLASHED BY 16% at Cold Steel and free delivery on all orders over £20.00. The Norse Hawk is lovely and throws well.

http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/

ALL PRICES SLASHED BY 16% at Cold Steel and free delivery on all orders over £20.00. The Norse Hawk is lovely and throws well.

http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/
    Smaller selection and currently not shipping until after Feb, but this company are often cheaper than buying from Cold Steel's UK site, and are a very reputable bunch: https://www.bladesandbows.co.uk/cold-steel-154-c.asp

Craftsman
    About time they slashed their prices, almost always available cheaper elsewhere. I have a number of cold steel knifes and they're great though.

Knives in general are something you really miss when you are used to carrying one. A PITS MK3 has been my EDC for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    About time they slashed their prices, almost always available cheaper elsewhere. I have a number of cold steel knifes and they're great though.

Knives in general are something you really miss when you are used to carrying one. A PITS MK3 has been my EDC for a while now.
    Nice choice. On the list for the incoming Mk 4?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Nice choice. On the list for the incoming Mk 4?
    Nah, fell out of the loop when BB went down if I'm honest.

I usually carry a pocket knife (usually a Laguiole or a plain Opinel #6) unless I go to an area where a knife could mean trouble; e.g. the airport or Amsterdam city centre.

What I use it for? Many things. From cutting apples to opening boxes, and everything inbetween. Whenever I leave the house, I always check whether I have my fountain pen, my watch, my pocket knife, and my mobile phone ... all essential tools ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    Nah, fell out of the loop when BB went down if I'm honest.
    If you wish to get back in the loop I can recommend edgematters.uk