closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another spurious brand partnership

I can think of better things to spend £40K on! Not for me. The brand leaves me cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    Not for me. The brand leaves me cold.
    +1 yep me too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    I was one of Bremont's well-wishers (although none of their watches really grabbed me) until they were economical with the veracity of their 'in house' marketing claims. Now, I'm indifferent and I won't buy any of their watches. This latest marketing lark is neither here nor there for me - they're all at it. I'd probably be doing the same as a watch manufacturer.
    Me too, and I was interested in their output right up until the point where the limited editions started coming thick and fast. That turns me off.

I can just about see some point in watch companies sponsoring cultural events like arts festivals or music awards. Just about. My specific objection relates to a watch company making and selling a product that features, or is associated with, the brand of another manufacturing or consumer goods company. Mostly because in 99% of these cases it's an artificially created partnership that lacks substance, integrity or a genuine story.

There are plenty of brands out there successfully marketing their wares without feeling the need to do this - can't recall Nomos, GO, Breguet, Vacheron or Lange & Sohne (for example) trying to tie up with other brands.

SGR

It might be interesting to see a tie up between Bremont and Damasko!

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    It might be interesting to see a tie up between Bremont and Damasko!
    For 40k you could probably buy over half the Damasko line.

Bremont and Berghaus? ...and get comprehensively fleeced.

Blog Entries
    Car connection or no car connection, but what the fçuck was this designer thinking when creating this???
    Or did he smoke something Dutch before putting pen to paper?

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Car connection or no car connection, but what the fçuck was this designer thinking when creating this???
    Or did he smoke something Dutch before putting pen to paper?

Daddel.
    you sure its not you on the wacky baccy? the lightweight E type is a pretty well executed piece of design, if a little predictable. there are many far worse things out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquavit View Post
    A couple of guys with a lifelong interest in all things mechanical including, (dare we say it) watches, decide to start their own watch company at a level somewhat above the normal cottage industry level, deemed appropriate by the WIS cogniscenti, for young upstarts.

Lo and behold, thanks to some innovative marketing and designs that are, shock horror, appealing to the watch buying public they make a success of it. On the back of this success they make money and employ people, having got where they are by using "associations", "tie ins", "partnerships" etc. that are tried and tested methods within their chosen industry of selling something that nobody really needs.

Really, what's the difference to associating with some boring golfer that I've never heard of, a squeaky clean tennis player or a swimmer, sponsoring F1 or some horsey event, anybody would think Bremont were the only company doing this kind of stuff - at least their's are usually engineering related which does have a relevance to their product. Hell, I even heard of one company who's CEO let the cat out of the bag regarding the emperors clothes, calling one of their watches a Spitfire - is there a connection with a certain Swiss watch company and a WW2 British fighter? Yes, it's marketing guff and basically, they're pretty much all at it, even those with a longer history than the English brothers.

In any other country their achievement would be lauded, for taking on the Swiss, for trying to do as much as possible withinn their own workshop and, not least, for making money and creating jobs. Only in good old Britain do we pan success, twas ever so.

Incidentally, Bremont do have a history of working with Jaguar, I believe they built the clock for a concept car a while back so I guess both companies are happy to continue that association themed around engineering excellence and heritage.
    ^^^ that just about covers it I think. Still won't stop the Bremont bashers...yes we get it, you don't like Bremont!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    you sure its not you on the wacky baccy? the lightweight E type is a pretty well executed piece of design, if a little predictable. there are many far worse things out there.
    I actually like the new Jaguar designs, quite refreshing next to the common BMW or Merc choice.

But this watch is so overdone, really tacky, they just tried to hard to make the connection, not something I expect from a serious watchmaker.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I wouldn't use the word "spurious". It's a long-term relationship - you may not remember, but Bremont's designs were actually used in the digital display of the C-X75, and elsewhere in the concept: there were even MB-styled "pull" handles on the seats. Actually, that digital dash was pretty cool. Once it settled down and came out of Race / Le Mans Mode, it had a massively retro-Smiths-inspired "analogue" display, also nicked from the E-Type...

It's interesting to see how many Smiths MA / Smiths Instruments-inspired dials there are now. The EP120 used the Time of Trip cockpit clock layout, there's this one, the Chr Ward takes three instruments from a D-Type (apparently), Timefactors' Speedometer watch uses the Chronometric, etc., etc.

Well, Breitling do Bentley watches, Ball & Co do BMW, there's a Graham Mercedes watch, so they're not the first and won't be the last. The Graham Mercedes GP strap is made to look like tyre treads, which looks far, far worse than that on the Bremont crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    Well, Breitling do Bentley watches, Ball & Co do BMW, there's a Graham Mercedes watch, so they're not the first and won't be the last. The Graham Mercedes GP strap is made to look like tyre treads, which looks far, far worse than that on the Bremont crown.
    Yeah but they're not Bremont!

Blog Entries
    For the life of me I cannot see the problem here? bottom line if you like the watch or whatever buy it if not just move on! There will always be brand tie ups some good some downright bad and most of no consequence whatsoever.

Now where did I leave my Comex?

I don't recall Comex branded divers being available to Jo Pubic

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Nor having infantile gimmicks such as little snorkel for a seconds hand and a crown in the shape of a diving helmet.

Nor is this though - 6 watches, six cars; safe to assume only available to the new owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Exactly. The partnership has Rolex having logos on the clocks at the tennis court. If Rolex handled the partnership Bremont style, they'd be asking us to part with a few grand for this:

Now had the hour hand been a Pimm's bottle I might have been tempted

Pimm's o'clock old boy?

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Nor is this though - 6 watches, six cars; safe to assume only available to the new owners.
    That's not analogous

I hate the gimmicky nature of their special editions. But this the first Bremont that I quite like.

If it came without the red line and the jaguar logo, and was around 39mm, I'd like it even more.

That's not analogous
    I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    The dial's a bit too gimmicky for my taste - it's a watch designed for telling the time is it not?
    This
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    Me too, and I was interested in their output right up until the point where the limited editions started coming thick and fast. That turns me off.

I can just about see some point in watch companies sponsoring cultural events like arts festivals or music awards. Just about. My specific objection relates to a watch company making and selling a product that features, or is associated with, the brand of another manufacturing or consumer goods company. Mostly because in 99% of these cases it's an artificially created partnership that lacks substance, integrity or a genuine story.

There are plenty of brands out there successfully marketing their wares without feeling the need to do this - can't recall Nomos, GO, Breguet, Vacheron or Lange & Sohne (for example) trying to tie up with other brands.

SGR
    Haha. Google Breguet et al sponsorship and see what you come up with. Most watch brands have some sort of tie up with non watch related fields eg arts, ballet, orchestras. At least you could argue that watches and planes and cars have some sort of connection. What the f##k has ballet got to do with a watch ?

Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    Or the Chopard Mille Miglia watches with their tyre tread straps and 'full gauge' power reserve meters.

Bremont aren't the first and they won't be the last. I personally love this LE tie-in. I'm not a big fan of Jags but I would love one of these - both the car and the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post

The dial's a bit too gimmicky for my taste - it's a watch designed for telling the time is it not? That's taking the dashboard instrument visual analogy too far. And that huge crown with tyre tread(?) is pure Franklin Mint.
    I agree. Trying too hard... and the red line is ridiculous, especially as the numbers do not equate to red line revs!

It just does not work for me.

I can imagine someone having the initial idea, but if this is all you can come up with after working it through then it just belongs on the bin.

Quote Originally Posted by earlsy View Post
    if this is all you can come up with after working it through then it just belongs on the bin.
    Harsh but true!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I see Jaguar made record profits this year. It's a shame they couldn't do it under British ownersahip, there must be a message somewhere.
    It does seem indicative of something, doesn't it, but what? I'd love to see a thorough analysis of what has change between then and now to allow this change.

A willingness to invest and dismissal of outmoded practices, perhaps? Just guessing.

Good idea for a partnership. Nice watch.

Sorry, not my taste.

At this price, I would know lots of watches I would prefer to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by earlsy View Post
    ... and the red line is ridiculous, especially as the numbers do not equate to red line revs!
    I'm not a designer. I'm not a watchmaker. But taking inspiration from an item (in my opinion) needn't mean copying.

There are a number of tachy / speedo-inspired dials floating around at the moment, everything from Guiliano Mazzuoli to Autodromo, Timefactors to Chr Ward London, Bremont to Porsche to JlC. Even Rolex has got into instrument design. They also tend to be split into three "kinds" of watch - inspiration (CWL, TF, GM, Autodromo), historical ties (JLC / Porsche), brand tie-ups (Bremont).

I must admit that I struggle to determine whether "RPM" or "MPH" on a dial is better or worse than a misplaced red line, but what I do know is that most watch dials appear to mirror the visual/stylistic cues of the instruments, rather than trying to replicate their functions. For what ever reason (ease of reading, perhaps, or maybe it's just gravity), analogue bike and car instruments tend to be at rest with a needle that is either on the horizon or below it. Watches don't. And when they do, they can be hard to read, especially when hours or minutes are taken out of context and spooged into another format (decimal time, for example, is a difficult concept for many). It's this line between copying the source material and the useability of the final watch that brands need to navigate. Some work, some don't. But they *all* struggle with it. Hence the red line is mapped visually on most watches, rather than literally.

Slightly off topic, but I note that JlC was suggested as an example of how to do it - historical link and a dial that "works". Does anyone recall whether, for example, the LM or the DBR1 had Jaeger instruments - and if they did, were they from Le Sentier, or London?

One of the most bizzare tie in dials is the Graham Chronofighter IOM TT watch, which our local IOM AD has been struggling to sell for ages. It's got a 30mph speed limit sign on it, which considering the bikes do 200mph and everybody on the IOM hates speed limits, struck me as a bit of a strange design choice.

Craftsman
    I must say that all the armchair quarterbacking in this thread has given me quite a chuckle.

Haters gonna hate.

Regards,
    Adam