closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone6

Master

iPhone6

OK, i'll be "the one" to start this thread, and hope I dont out myself as too much of an Apple fan!

Is anyone else looking forwards to this?

I have been following the rumours carefully for months now, and am quite set on buying the 4.7" version as soon as I can.

I currently have the 5 (not the 5s/c).

Master
    I use my phone A LOT for work etc so have got past the "geek" point and now see it as a tool. Therefore, I'd love a larger screen and better battery life. Anything else will probably end up a gimmick or useless which I always find to be the case with Samsungs etc... you know, where the screen goes off because you aren't looking at it etc.

Banned
    Im still on a 4s having been insufficiently impressed to bother changing for a 5 or 5s. Would be nice if Apple did something interesting again. Its been a while.

Even though I should know better, I've ended up upgrading pretty much every time an iPhone comes out. They generally improve just enough for me to "need" the new features.

I think a 4.7 inch screen is a genuinely useful improvement though, given I spend quite a bit of time viewing internet pages on mine. The extra screen space will be nice.

It will also be handy if the screen is sapphire glass as it will negate the need for the tradition frustration of trying to get a screen protector on without any bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Im still on a 4s having been insufficiently impressed to bother changing for a 5 or 5s. Would be nice if Apple did something interesting again. Its been a while.
    This for me too. Battery life, decent camera and smallish form factor are the key points for me - I'm not interested if it sprouts a 12 inch screen so you look like you're holding an ipad to your ear. Some of the new phones are ridiculous. Would have to be good to get me to ditch the 4S - the peak for me of their iPhone range.

Currently on a 5s and moved up from a 3gs and to be honest it was no great leap which says more about the ability of the 3gs than the inability of the 5.

I like others see them as a tool and couldn't consider another phone as for me they 'work' i appreciate it as the technology is amazing but i am not passionate about phones like watches for example.

I will upgrade to the latest once i need to but i will not do anything before i have to (as the 5s will be fine for a long time yet) and this is a good enough reason for me to stick with apple

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    This for me too. Battery life, decent camera and smallish form factor are the key points for me - I'm not interested if it sprouts a 12 inch screen so you look like you're holding an ipad to your ear. Some of the new phones are ridiculous. Would have to be good to get me to ditch the 4S - the peak for me of their iPhone range.
    The 3GS was better - lovely tactile thing to hold and just fitted the hand perfectly.

I could certainly go for better battery life, and a bigger screen although not after a phablet either. Better build quality would be good too - mine's been switched out under warranty (and after too) a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    The 3GS was better - lovely tactile thing to hold and just fitted the hand perfectly.

I could certainly go for better battery life, and a bigger screen although not after a phablet either. Better build quality would be good too - mine's been switched out under warranty (and after too) a few times.
    The main difference (for me) between the 3gs and 5s was the battery performance, it has the better screen, processor, fingerprint stuff and after ten minutes its all irrelevant lol

Still cant fault it though

Master
    I have a 5 and didn't see any point upgrading to the 5s.
    I may get a 6 depending on what new features it has.
    I was desperate for a larger screen, but have recently got glasses so my 5 looks massive now I don't have to hold it at arms length.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    It will also be handy if the screen is sapphire glass as it will negate the need for the tradition frustration of trying to get a screen protector on without any bubbles.
    Try one of the new tempered glass ones. Miles better than the plastic ones and no bubbles.
    Last edited by Cynar; 12th August 2014 at 12:14.

Banned
    Cars, watches, phones. Everything is regularly updated thsese days, so if you are in the market for a car, watch, phone, fill your boots.

Often, the differences are minor, but sometimes important to some. If the latter is the case, the seller has done his job.

I have a 5s, but only as it was the current model at change. I’m quite happy to hang onto it for a little while, but I know there will be an improved model when I’m ready.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

Is anyone else looking forwards to this?
    Not really.

I'm due an upgrade at the end of the year and would be keen to stay with iPhone. The current size suits me fine, I don't want a bigger phone.

Master
    It is doubtful that the new iphone will have significantly longer battery life than the 5, according to reports. Whilst it will have a better battery, the bigger screen etc will eat up more power

I have an iPhone 4 at the moment - much better than the 3GS which i hated 'rolling' on the desk. Didn't see the point of upgrading to a 5 - I will wait for all you instant upgraders and buy a secondhand 5 off SC!

My work phone is an iphone 5s 16gb and its well made and does what its meant to do, my personal phone,, well I just bought an Xperia Z1 compact,, and IMHO its way way beyond Apples current offering
    Last edited by number2; 12th August 2014 at 13:13.

I'm in the same position as you.

I have a 5 and didn't feel the 5s or 5c were good enough to justify a change, but the 6 will be the one that makes me change I think. 4.7" most likely.

My contract runs out on the 5th of September. The new iPhone event happens on the 9th. Perfect timing for me to get an iPhone 6 :)

Think I'll go for the bigger one, as long as it doesn't seem too big.

My days of chasing iPhones are ... I'm glad to say ... behind me. Nothing wrong with my £10 a month 4 :)

Master
    I'm changing back the day it's launched,will be in the queue the week before,after having 3 iPhones I made the mistake of moving to a HTC M8 and just can't get on with it apart from the size which is much better.

Just recently gone up from 4s to 5s simply for the 4G speed, ( and it was cheaper deal) I do use it for tethering a lot so any speed increase is a bonus for me, Must say page loading Etc all seem faster, But other than that not much difference, Camera is stunning but that could be me trying to justify upgrade, Cost me less than old phone so not bothered really.

I do accept that there is a little bit of plateauing with phones. Screen resolutions are at the limit of what the eye can see - going larger is the only way to display more info. If you don't play games, then processing power is currently adequate for most things.

OS's are getting very similar as well. I remember when the original iPhone came out - overnight, everything else looked clunky and counterintuitive. Apple maintained a lead for a few generations, as the rest caught up, but I think things have turned around now, and you could even say Apple is borrowing off other OS's.

In fairness, the 5/5s have a usefully larger screen than the 4s, and the fingerprint sensor of the 5s is a nice security feature.

As with most tech, if you upgrade every other, or every third generation, you're more likely to see a noticeable difference.

I think rather than the phone itself I am interested to see what they do with smart devices - and I dont just mean an iWatch that shows you have e-mails, texts etc. I am thinking of health care. An add-on that can monitor key health statistics and feed them to your phone would be very interesting. In fact I can see in the US it would be a big deal if the phone can send your info to the doctor which in turn may reduce your health insurance.

I think the 3Gs was by for the most tactile phone I've had. I kept it until it died and then moved to the 4 which I still have. I am due an upgrade and I am thinking of moving away from Apple - the problem is when I look at different phones I keep thinking of that VW Gold advert were they kept saying 'its a bit like a golf'

A lot of apple releases remind me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOgZwk9rN8

I'm torn between Apple and and Android, as usual. I like the seamless movement of data and music between my Apple gear but the user options and ability to customise the phone offered by Android is also tempting.

I have a 5C, picked up cheap otherwise would have kept my 4S, but don't think Apple has made a great leap since going from the 3 to the 4.

Not sure that a bigger screen is a deal breaker, I had a Samsung S3 that was a superb phone but just a bit big to operate one handed.

Will be interesting to see the final product.

Journeyman
    I'm going to wait to see what the finished product is like before making any decisions. Don't really see the need for a bigger phone, though. If I wanted a bigger phone, I'd have switched to Android already...

I jumped on board with the 3GS and upgraded every year, to the 4, 4S, 5 & 5S

Apple, like Intel, seem to have a "tick-tock" product release cycle, where they release a new concept one year, and then release a fully-resolved version of it the following year.

I'm quite happy with the 5S, so I might just wait until the 6S in 2015...

Banned
    Not interested in the slightest by this. I took the 5c as a work phone 3 months ago, it was my first and last Apple phone and can't wait to change it, complete junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Not interested in the slightest by this. I took the 5c as a work phone 3 months ago, it was my first and last Apple phone and can't wait to change it, complete junk.
    In fairness that was a pointless model anyway IMO. Supposed to be a budget phone - at that price?!
    I have the 5s and love the size. Anything bigger is just straying into phablet territory I reckon...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradt Pitt View Post
    I have the 5s and love the size. Anything bigger is just straying into phablet territory I reckon...
    Yeah, I use my phone to do phone stuff. I want to be able to take it out of my pocket and use it with one hand. If I feel like watching a film or playing a game, well that's what my tablet is for...

Buying the latest phone is such a mugs game imo. I wait for a new one to be introduced and then buy last year's model saving twenty five to fifty precent as I do so.

Master
    Come on, perhaps it's not for you (or you're not for it) but you can hardly call it junk! At least explain what it is that you don't like about it - most of the time it's "user error" - the things you think it doesn't do, it probably does and you just don't realise / know how.

Unless it comes in fluorescent pink I'm not interested

I'm still using a 4S and quite frankly the 5 and 5S did nothing for me and a bigger screened 6 won't either. Until Apple revolutionise IOS, I think I will either stick or go over to Android. The iphone is now officially boring.

I dumped the iPhone for android after the second iteration.
    This will be the one that brings me back to apple.
    That and it is free through work and I can't get reimbursed for my monthly service anymore. Lol.
    That's $2700 every 2 years. A couple rounds of phones and we're into nice watch territory.
    Cheers!

Master
    I went from an iPhone 4 to a 5s. Happy with it for now.

Not sure I want anything larger in my pocket (ooer). /shrug

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Come on, perhaps it's not for you (or you're not for it) but you can hardly call it junk! At least explain what it is that you don't like about it - most of the time it's "user error" - the things you think it doesn't do, it probably does and you just don't realise / know how.
    The screen is not the best, hanging up on someone can cause it to randomly call someone else, I do not have or want iTunes so there are no apps, none of my windows based pcs can access any of the photos I've taken with, I could go on but at the end of the day it's a poor product that's not for me.

Comparing my iphone 5s (work phone) and my new Xperia Compact (personal phone) the iphone is really very dated with a dull, but easy UI, I can only put down its popularity to Apple marketing as its really so dated and the apps are so costly, I understand that android for some of those used to Apple may look daunting, but heck with android, in my experience anyway personalising MY phone is so straight forward.

Before I jumped the Corporate ship my work phone was just some cheap "dumb phone", and having my exit strategy in mind I bought an iPhone 4 from SC and a SIM from Orange for personal use.

I have a Macbook, iPad and Apple Time Machine,so I'm kind of committed. But guess what? It all works together! Apps installed on my phone appear on my iPad, and my Macbook backs up automatically to my Time Machine. I can respond to texts on my Macbook.

A few months ago I took the plunge and upgraded to an iPhone 5s, which is a big improvement over the 4, in terms of internet speed and usability. The camera is a big improvement as well.

I'm not bothered about the 6 having a bigger screen, because I don't need it, and I doubt that any other improvement will be enough to prompt me to ditch the 5s. I watched a recent BBC programme, The Men Who Made Us Spend, in which the phenomenon of Apple upgrades was featured. The interviewer asked several people who had camped outside an Apple store for several nights prior to the release of the iPhone 5s why they were prepared to do so. One chap answered "because it comes in gold". Seriously.

While I like the seamless integration that my Apple kit offers, it does appear that there's more than a degree of cynicism behind their policy of regularly offering minor improvements and promoting them as significant upgrades.

^^^agree.

I'm still on the iphone 4, so about 3 or 4 models behind but I feel I'm not missing out on anything.

I'll wait and see what the 6 has to offer but have a feeling it'll probably be the iphone 7 before they offer me something worth upgrading for.

I had an iPhone 4 for over 3 years then ios6 came out and allows it down dreadfully. All the newer versions seemed to similar so I've moved to android with an HTC one m8 and its brilliant to be honest. Little things like the SD card slot make a big difference and the handset has the same quality feel as an iPhone together with the larger screen you need if you use your phone more for browsing the web etc. Still curious to see the new iPhone but can't imagine moving back since trying the HTC.

I ran a 3Gs then a 4s for around four years and whilst I enjoyed them overall two things eventually annoyed me.
    Poor battery life and the small screen size.
    I wanted a bigger screen than the 5/5s came with so in September last year abandoned ship and went for a Sony Xperia Z1.
    5" screen and a 3000mAh battery which easily lasts a day and a half, more if you're a light user.
    Plus it's got a great still and video camera, waterproof to some extent and the ability to use an SD card is great as I have loads of music on there for my train commute. Android has been OK for me and it's running 4.4.4 KitKat absolutely fine.
    However, I'm finding it a bit 'too' big, plus all my other 'stuff' is Apple, so a 4.7" iPhone might tempt me back IF the battery is a good size.
    All my friends (and my daughter who runs a 5) seem to do is moan about battery life on their iPhones...

By the way, case maker Spigen have already started advertising cases and seem to give a good idea what the 6 will look like (maybe!)...

http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/iphone/iphone-6.html

Last edited by westy; 14th August 2014 at 10:14. Reason: Spelling, as usual... :-/

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Cars, watches, phones. Everything is regularly updated thsese days, so if you are in the market for a car, watch, phone, fill your boots.

Often, the differences are minor, but sometimes important to some. If the latter is the case, the seller has done his job.

I have a 5s, but only as it was the current model at change. I’m quite happy to hang onto it for a little while, but I know there will be an improved model when I’m ready.
    Me to i have iphone 5 , i'm waiting for the iphone 27 s .

The screen is not the best, hanging up on someone can cause it to randomly call someone else, I do not have or want iTunes so there are no apps, none of my windows based pcs can access any of the photos I've taken with, I could go on but at the end of the day it's a poor product that's not for me.
    You do not need iTunes to get apps. Just open the App Store on the phone and install them. There are several apps that let you sync photos to PC. You can install Apple's own iCloud Control Panel on your PC to sync your photostream. Alternatively you can install Microsoft's OneDrive app on the iPhone and get that to automatically backup your camera roll to OneDrive. You can then automatically sync this to OneDrive on your PC. It works perfectly for me. You can do the same with the Dropbox app too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    You do not need iTunes to get apps. Just open the App Store on the phone and install them. There are several apps that let you sync photos to PC. You can install Apple's own iCloud Control Panel on your PC to sync your photostream. Alternatively you can install Microsoft's OneDrive app on the iPhone and get that to automatically backup your camera roll to OneDrive. You can then automatically sync this to OneDrive on your PC. It works perfectly for me. You can do the same with the Dropbox app too.
    Well that's great... But with most Droids you can just hook it up to your PC by cable and the SD card in it will then just be recognized as a standard storage device by Windows, so you can transfer files as with any drive or USB stick, to where you want it to go. No need for fancy apps or workarounds through the cloud (which only works if you have a fast 3G/4G connection or wifi, and even 2G GSM hardly works here). I like my files to stay with me, physically, and on my own physical drives. Call me oldfashioned. Totally standard file transfer and compatibility is a make-or-break item for me and one of the reasons why I never went the Apple way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fschwep View Post
    Well that's great... But with most Droids you can just hook it up to your PC by cable and the SD card in it will then just be recognized as a standard storage device by Windows, so you can transfer files as with any drive or USB stick, to where you want it to go. No need for fancy apps or workarounds through the cloud (which only works if you have a fast 3G/4G connection or wifi, and even 2G GSM hardly works here). I like my files to stay with me, physically, and on my own physical drives. Call me oldfashioned. Totally standard file transfer and compatibility is a make-or-break item for me and one of the reasons why I never went the Apple way.
    You can also do that with an iPhone on a Windows PC. It is recognised as a portable device which you can browse to the DCIM folder and copy photos from.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post

Try one of the new tempered glass ones. Miles better than the plastic ones and no bubbles.
    Just got one of these - much, much better. The clarity and "feel" is a massive improvement on the older style ones, and it almost falls into place. (Just went for a £3 eBay job).

Ta for the info.

Master
    The latest "leaked" photos look good - it essentially looks just like the 5 but thinner with more curvy edges (which, to me, makes it look more dated... I like the angular champhered edges of the 5 / 5S).

Doesnt look like it will be "edge to edge" display either.

I think if you have a 4S or lower, it will be a very worthwhile upgrade, but if you have a 5S much less so. I have the 5, and so am stranded somewhere in between...

I think the larger screen is a draw, as is the fingerprint sensor, but what I really want is 128 GB memory.

Who know if any of these are real, but I reckon these are pretty much spot on either way (the camera lens cover which seems to stand proud looks crap - I hope that's not how it will be);

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    haha d'oh, well I do think that's pretty much just what it will look like, unless Apple have done the impossible and kept the real design completely secret!

I bet it turns out to be just like that supposed clone.

I've always had an iPhone but changed to android when the iPhone 5 came out, now I can't wait to get back to an iPhone.

Reasons are the build quality and how the apps seem to be better configured on an iPhone than on an android device.

I think Apple are very good at getting you hooked into their ecosystem - I've got my music and TV managed by iTunes, streaming through AppleTV when needed, we have an iPad and iPad mini, as well as numerous apps that we would end up having to repurchase for e.g. Android. The truth is, unless a competitor really came up with something really special, we'll take the path of least resistance and stick with Apple.

Personally, I'm waiting to see what the incept date for the Nexus 6 is.