closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: English Premier League Season 2014/15

English Premier League Season 2014/15

They say this every year but with some interesting managerial changes (Tottenham, Manchester United), some solid additions (Chelsea, Arsenal) and good young talent coming through - Jordan Ibe at Liverpool linking up with new boy Markovic is something that I'm looking forward to personally - it's going to be a really interesting season. Even tougher to predict than last season - but let's have your thoughts.

Kick-off is this Saturday
    Last edited by scarto; 11th August 2014 at 23:42. Reason: Hyphen

Another year of shite for my team, Aston Villa, beckons.

Obviously, this is going to be the season that I see The Mighty Spurs win the title. You lot will all be fighting for first loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    We'll be fine. As long as you like 25% average possession (including at home) and fighting it out for 15th. Still, there's a 5% chance we'll get a new owner happy to invest in players.

Another Villa fan here. I'm hoping that by the end of the season there will 3 teams below us.

Craftsman
    Chelsea/City fighting out for the title,Arsenal taking 3rd,Pool or Utd taking 4th.

I still expect a few players to come in for most of those teams before the window shuts and depending who goes where I may rejig the top 5's finishing spots.

Also ignoring all the pre season results against b teams.

Master
    City to lift the Prem trophy, Arsenal a close second and I reckon Spurs in third.

I can see Tottenham doing what Liverpool did last season and proving a real threat up at the top - especially with MUFC having another new gaffer and Liverpool losing Suarez.

Master
    Follow the money unfortunately. I fear it will be another title bought.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pluseditor View Post
    Follow the money unfortunately. I fear it will be another title bought.

Like the last 25?

No-one seems to like other teams than Man United chucking money around...

Despite the form last season, I'm going to go out on a limb and say, come the end of the 2014-15 season, Man Utd will be crowned Premier League champions.

Here's my rationale:

1). One of the best man-managers and astute tacticians in world football (Van Gaal)

2). Some strong additions to the squad (e.g. Herera), possibly with more to come

3). A highly successful pre-season which has not only shown the new players to have settled in well and a squad very comfortable playing Van Gaal's preferred 3-5-2 formation, but a team with a renewed spirit

4). No European football to distract from the Premier League campaign

That said, I'm still uncertain about Man Utd's defence.

If Evans, Jones and co. don't step-up to the mark now that Vidic, Evra and Ferdinand have left (or if Van Gaal doesn't buy one or two proven central defenders before the transfer window closes), we may end-up losing out on the title due to silly defensive mistakes.

Nevertheless, I'll guess at the final table reading like this:

1). Man Utd
    2). Arsenal (if they can keep key players fit)
    3). Man City
    4). Chelsea
    5). Spurs
    6). Liverpool

Journeyman
    I'm so excited for the season to begin, I can barely contain myself. However, living in Southern California, I am also resigned to enjoying football by myself in my living room. Hopefully my baby girl will grow up to root for the Reds as well.

Cool

I too am very excited. Great having football back :)

The final league table IMHO:
    1. Chelsea
    2. Manchester City
    3. Manchester United
    4. Arsenal
    5. Everton
    6. Tottenham
    7. Liverpool
    8. Newcastle United
    9. Stoke City
    10. Sunderland

I'm slightly biased but I think we will have it won by April;)
    Mangalas confirmation this afternoon looks like the final piece in City's line up. The centre back pairing with Kompany has as much potential as any worldwide and should make the defence even more watertight. We now have two very very good players for each position so we will be fighting for each and every trophy this season. If Isco comes on loan with a view to a permanent deal , I think I will very likely wet my pants.

Our rivals.
    Chelsea. Brilliant manager but I just get the feeling they are buying players because they can. There just doesn't seem to be a plan.
    Liverpool. Like the Spurs selling of Bale, with Suarez going it seems like they've sold an iPhone 5 and bought a camera, an iPod, a phone , etc. etc. I don't go with the Champs a League/Premiership fatigue thing but I do think that maintaining last seasons impetus will be difficult. Plus , a few more teams may well have a better game plan than last season.
    Arsenal. I like the Gooners, always have. They may have one of the best new players in the Prem next year with Sanchez and he will win them many points ala Suarez. Still not convinced with their longevity and the defence but I expect them to be there or thereabouts.
    Spurs and Everton will always throw a spanner in the works for any of those top three on their day and both are great entertainment to watch. Lukaku is a beast but Everton should've bought him last year and saved themselves 10 million quid.
    Nited? Meh. The media love in is full throttle at the minute. Every new signing is a world beater, the new manager is proven everywhere, a great man manager , hard nosed ,the American tour win was the first trophy in a new saga etc.etc.etc. . Not convinced!

Just looking forward to another great season of football where every team on its day can beat the opposition.

So basically most replies to this thread conclude that the team they support will win.

I see a couple are very optimistic about the new manager turning things around at Man Utd pretty quickly! Well, let's see. I can't see them finishing in the top four although no doubt there will be a big improvement over last season.

I think Chelsea, much as it pains me, will be galvanised by having signed a couple of decent players and having the will of Mourinho to turn around what was a total failure for him last time.

Liverpool will perform well enough but I think they will miss the presence of Suarez whilst they re-build with more youth:, added Champions' League demands and a team that will need to gel with so many new players will take some time.

Manchester City will not quite hit the heights of last time - I think they've been light on transfers. Would have expected a couple more big signings - whether thats to do with FFP, I don't know.

Arsenal have the best chance of challenging City and Chelsea from the rest of the competitive clubs (although I still put Liverpool 3rd ;-)) - new players in the right positions will keep them strong to the end and prevent the dip they've had in the later months of recent challenges.

My top 10 predictions:

Chelsea
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Tottenham
    Everton
    Newcastle
    Stoke
    Hull

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    So basically most replies to this thread conclude that the team they support will win.
    Except mine - mine was completely impartial.

Blog Entries
    As a CFC supporter I of course would want us to win the EPL but

City and forget yesterday will be as strong as ever
    Liverpool ? I feel they will either be great or do a Spurs
    Spurs ?Sorry Tony but I think not
    Man U ? again new manager no CL I think they will be top four
    Arsenal? There or thereabouts

So in truth? no bloody idea but looking forward to the highs,lows , frustrations, mood swings, the screaming and shouting just like I have done for over the last 50 years, let the games commence

I'll have you know I support Aston Villa and at best we'll be winning relegation to the Championship!

Master
    Ah,you don't know many QPR fans, do you?

I still think we'll be in the running for second, mind...

I can't even get interested until West Ham get rid of Allardyce.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Like the last 25?

No-one seems to like other teams than Man United chucking money around...
    Last edited by pluseditor; 11th August 2014 at 19:50.

Craftsman
    Its going to be a great season.
    We(chelsea) have strengthened in the right places but if costa gets suspended or injured we are in trouble.

Man city have stayed pretty much the same except adding a good defender.

Liverpool are in real trouble if sturridge gets injured, they really need another striker. You cant let a 30 goal a season striker go and replace him with lambert.

Arsenal are an outside bet for the title IF all of their players stay fit. With the ox and walcott back along with sanchez they look very good going forward. Central defence is still a bit shakey though.

Man utd will do better than last year but are seriously lacking defenders and a creative midfielder. You can't take out vidic and ferdinand and not replace them.

Tottenham do not have any real quality(sorry spurs fans) and with a new manager in i see them struggling tis season. They have strikers who cant score and look terrified against the top teams.

Everton have added some real quality again. Lukaku and barry are good deals and with some other good signing in i think they may sneak 4th.

Top 4 predictions

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Liverpool
    4. Man City

I think City will struggle - the whole Yaya Toure birthday cake nonsense was the sign that all is not well within the club and I think they will lack the team dynamic and tactical nous to challenge now that the other teams have got stronger and yet City have just bought new players that aren't better than what they already have.

Chelsea have the best manager there is - Mourinho will lead them to walk the title now that they have strengthened in key areas. I see Arsenal taking 2nd but they will provide the sternest test - just lacking a b*stard in midfield to give necessary bite .

Master
    Teams like mine (Hull City) ruffling some top 4 feathers and finishing outside the bottom 3.

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    I see a couple are very optimistic about the new manager turning things around at Man Utd pretty quickly! Well, let's see. I can't see them finishing in the top four although no doubt there will be a big improvement over last season.

I think Chelsea, much as it pains me, will be galvanised by having signed a couple of decent players and having the will of Mourinho to turn around what was a total failure for him last time.

Liverpool will perform well enough but I think they will miss the presence of Suarez whilst they re-build with more youth:, added Champions' League demands and a team that will need to gel with so many new players will take some time.

Manchester City will not quite hit the heights of last time - I think they've been light on transfers. Would have expected a couple more big signings - whether thats to do with FFP, I don't know.

Arsenal have the best chance of challenging City and Chelsea from the rest of the competitive clubs (although I still put Liverpool 3rd ;-)) - new players in the right positions will keep them strong to the end and prevent the dip they've had in the later months of recent challenges.

My top 10 predictions:

Chelsea
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Tottenham
    Everton
    Newcastle
    Stoke
    Hull

I think the top four are correct and in that order. Its going to be an interesting season.

Master
    Looks like it could be another very interesting season...

Man City - bolstered defence but question marks over fitness of strikers and squad harmony (Yaya Toure!)
    Chelsea - strengthened up front - probably (Costa wasn't great at the world cup) and squad looks generally strong
    Arsenal - bought yet another (very talented) attacking midfielder but still question marks about squad depth in other positions
    Liverpool - sold their best player but strengthened main weakness from last season and are full of talented youngsters
    Man Utd - distinct manager upgrade but probably been a little quiet in the transfer market (though Herrera looks like a good buy)
    Everton - great work in the transfer market given their resources
    Spurs - maybe they'll all bed in properly this season?

Very difficult to call and I'm hoping this season is as entertaining as the previous one.
    (That's not my predicted order by the way. I have no idea at this stage who will come out on top).

Mourinho mind games/bullying have backfired on him in the last few seasons with Real Madrid and Chelsea isolating key players which has cost him titles and I think he has a lot to prove. The squad seems a bit unbalanced and I think Lampard will be missed. Good to see Fabregas back in the premiership albeit with the wrong club. He will be great at the start of the season and I hope he lasts the pace.
    Man City seem a collection of parts rather than a team and I have doubts about the manager getting the best out of them.
    Arsenal if Ramsey stays fit will be contenders and I'm really excited about Sanchez. Missing a centre forward and a dedicated holding midfielder to replace Arteta. They need also need more power in the midfield and should they get Khedira or Reus they will be contenders. Big season for Wilshere a make or break time for his career.
    Man Utd will fight it out with Tottenham and Everton who could be surprise contenders for fourth place. I think Martinez is a great manager.
    Liverpool have assembled a very strong squad and I like Lovren at the back which I think will give them more stability, it will be interesting to see how they cope with the challenge of the league and champions league. Great chance again.
    Last edited by Martin123; 11th August 2014 at 22:46.

Craftsman
    Man City
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Man Utd
    Everton
    Tottingham
    The Toon

Hull, West Brom and Swansea to be relegated

I`m hoping Pelligrini is right when he claims that City won`t be ready for the big kick off although I fear the Toon (with Tiote and De Jong likely to be missing) will need that and a big slice of luck to get off to anything other than a losing start

My top 10 predictions:

Chelsea
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Tottenham
    Everton
    Newcastle
    Stoke
    Hull

To be relegated:

Burnley
    WBA
    Leicester City

After seeing Arsenal thrash Citeh at the weekend I think they have the best chance in ages of winning it although there is some very tough opposition.

My team West Ham will be lucky to get mid table if I'm honest although we have got a couple of exciting new signings in Valencia and Kouyate.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Another Villa fan here looking forward to another relegation battle, i fear this will be our turn :(

At least tickets are easy to get hold of (and cheap)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mungosdad View Post
    Another Villa fan here. I'm hoping that by the end of the season there will 3 teams below us.

Likewise, and I will consider that a result for this season!

Villa scrabbling amongst the scrabblers, (As they have done since the blessed Martin left) who would have thought it?

Mirthing fodder for the blue shower in the other place, how depressing!

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post

Villa scrabbling amongst the scrabblers, (As they have done since the blessed Martin left)
    No coincidence IMO

Master
    Liverpool's season could be off to a bad start...

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/12/rihann...tball-4829395/

Blog Entries
    Mmmhhh....

Man City run close by Arsenal for me
    Liverpool are difficult to judge when you have so many incomings and so many goals taken out of the team
    Man Utd and Chelsea to to fight it out with Liverpool for places 3 and 4

As for my team the mighty Leicester City... I don't think top ten is daft... Only scoff if you actually sore us play last season... We may upset a couple of teams?!! Cambiosso is a possible signing for us too

I think Southampoton and Burnley for the drop

Master
    Blog Entries
    Van G master tactician as demonstrated with the dour 0-0s in the WC......

United won't finish top 4 unless they buy at least one centre back. I pray they win their first 3 games and the window closes.... Will lol hard.

Chelsea will I think win it. Hazard will step up a lot this season.

Man city 2nd but will be close for title.

Liverpool 3rd with sterling and coutinho really stepping up.

Arse 4th but will push for third.

Spurs, united, Everton

No way united will finish 3rd or higher with out a couple of defenders. Jones, Evans and smalling. Think about. They are old enough to have already "stood up". Reality is they are not good enough and without vidic or ferd to carry them....

Quote Originally Posted by CamCG View Post
    Despite the form last season, I'm going to go out on a limb and say, come the end of the 2014-15 season, Man Utd will be crowned Premier League champions.

Here's my rationale:

1). One of the best man-managers and astute tacticians in world football (Van Gaal)

2). Some strong additions to the squad (e.g. Herera), possibly with more to come

3). A highly successful pre-season which has not only shown the new players to have settled in well and a squad very comfortable playing Van Gaal's preferred 3-5-2 formation, but a team with a renewed spirit

4). No European football to distract from the Premier League campaign

That said, I'm still uncertain about Man Utd's defence.

If Evans, Jones and co. don't step-up to the mark now that Vidic, Evra and Ferdinand have left (or if Van Gaal doesn't buy one or two proven central defenders before the transfer window closes), we may end-up losing out on the title due to silly defensive mistakes.

Nevertheless, I'll guess at the final table reading like this:

1). Man Utd
    2). Arsenal (if they can keep key players fit)
    3). Man City
    4). Chelsea
    5). Spurs
    6). Liverpool

Master
    I can see Hull doing better then most people think this season. Maybe top 12. I'd be happy with anything 17th and above though!

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Van G master tactician as demonstrated with the dour 0-0s in the WC......

United won't finish top 4 unless they buy at least one centre back. I pray they win their first 3 games and the window closes.... Will lol hard.

Chelsea will I think win it. Hazard will step up a lot this season.

Man city 2nd but will be close for title.

Liverpool 3rd with sterling and coutinho really stepping up.

Arse 4th but will push for third.

Spurs, united, Everton

No way united will finish 3rd or higher with out a couple of defenders. Jones, Evans and smalling. Think about. They are old enough to have already "stood up". Reality is they are not good enough and without vidic or ferd to carry them....
    I'm really surprised United haven't signed at least three defenders. I guess there is still time to do transfers but with Ferdinand, Evra and Vidic moving on and only the likes of Evans left they need to bring in at least one more centre half, probably two. They are still two or three top quality signings off challenging for the title, first season with a new manager notwithstanding. I think they will be lucky to finish in the top four.

I predict Sunderland will struggle again. End of last season was achieved with momentum that has now gone along with some of their best players.

Quote Originally Posted by teadazed View Post
    Liverpool's season could be off to a bad start...

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/12/rihann...tball-4829395/
    WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    After seeing Arsenal thrash Citeh at the weekend
    Brilliant! Made my day this quote.
    Do you work for the Daily Mail?

Fabregas to Chelsea is going to come back to haunt us between then and Citeh for 1st/2nd we only played a weak Citeh*
    3rd/4th/5th between Man Utd, Liverpool and us with pushes from Everton and Spurs.

Hull will be fine and just ran out of steam against us in the FA Cup final (managed to enjoy it in the end)

Quote Originally Posted by stolen from Goonersweb
    http://www.transferleague.co.uk/prem...transfers.html
    The Citeh reserves that let Arsenal win at Wembley.

Willy Caballero - £6,000,000
    Gael Clichy - £7,000,000
    Dedryck Boyata - None
    Matija Nastasic - £12,000,000
    Aleksandar Kolarov - £17,000,000
    Fernando - £12,000,000
    Yaya Toure - £24,000,000
    Jesus Navas - £22,900,000
    Stevan Jovetic - £25,800,000
    Samir Nasri - £22,000,000
    Edin Dzeko - £27,000,000

TOTAL - £175, 700,000

Bench

Joe Hart - £1,500,000
    Micah Richards - None
    Karim Rekik - £400,000
    James Milner - £26,000,000
    Scott Sinclair - £8,000,000
    David Silva - £25,000,000
    Bruno Zuculini - £1,500,000

TOTAL - £62,400,000

SQUAD TOTAL: £238,100,000 (a paltry quarter of a BILLION quid)

So you can see why they lost. They had no playa.

Wojciech Szczesny - £50,000
    Mathieu Debuchy - £12,000,000
    Laurent Koscielny - £10,000,000
    Calum Chambers - £16,000,000
    Kieran Gibbs - None
    Mikel Arteta - £10,000,000
    Alexis Sanchez - £35,000,000
    Aaron Ramsey - £5,000,000
    Jack Wilshere - None
    Santi Cazorla - £20,000,000
    Yaya Sanogo - None

TOTAL - £108,050,000

Bench

Damian Martinez - None
    Nacho Monreal - £8,300,000
    Tomas Rosicky - £6,800,000
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - £12,000,000
    Mathieu Flamini - None
    Olivier Giroud - £13,000,000
    Joel Campbell - £700,000

TOTAL - £40,800,000

SQUAD TOTAL - £148,850,000 (or around 60% of the Citeh squad cost)

I think Man United too

After seeing Arsenal thrash Citeh at the weekend I think they have the best chance in ages of winning it although there is some very tough opposition.

My team West Ham will be lucky to get mid table if I'm honest although we have got a couple of exciting new signings in Valencia and Kouyate.
    Agree mid table at best tbh, another season of hoof it probably with the hope that BS will close the door behind him before too long. Staying up will do me ( again )
    Kouyate looks good, I'll be interested to see how Valencia settles in while Carroll warms the treatment table for another 6 mths!

Citeh or Chelski for the title I reckon, Arse and Man U to make up the CL spots. Bottom 3, I reckon the three that came up tbh.

Journeyman
    City were bad against Arsenal, didn't look like they wanted it.

Im sure they will improve and be up there come the end of the season. If Ramsey stays fit and Giroud keeps scoring Arsenal could finish higher than the 3rd/4th they normally do. Think Utd will get top 4 this season without European football to contend with and of course Chelsea fighting for the title now they have a striker who can score!

Relegated: Burnley, QPR, Villa

Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    We will be crap but not as crap as last year!Keep the Faith.SOTC.

Blog Entries
    WTF.
    It's such a reasoned, articulate and well written article from a very well respected journalistic institute - it must be true.

Oh hang on, I've just read the Daily Star didn't want to run this story as it was a bit far fetched!

Quote Originally Posted by lacroix4 View Post
    SOTC
    Whenever I see that on Villa forums I read it as State Of The Collection. I think I come on here too much.

Craftsman
    I'm really surprised United haven't signed at least three defenders. I guess there is still time to do transfers but with Ferdinand, Evra and Vidic moving on and only the likes of Evans left they need to bring in at least one more centre half, probably two. They are still two or three top quality signings off challenging for the title, first season with a new manager notwithstanding. I think they will be lucky to finish in the top four.
    Agree.

BUT if they do manage to bring in a few players at the back of proven quality 4th should be attainable.Cannot see them challenging with the present squad,but expect a big improvement in results.

Not sure if any of Liverpool's signings have actually improved the starting eleven,and think they still need a proven striker to back up Sturridge.Any team bringing in a raft of new players should expect at least a couple to flop,tho they could have a couple of gems signed.Coutinho and Sterling will need to step up for any change of silverware I feel.

After seeing Arsenal thrash Citeh at the weekend
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Brilliant! Made my day this quote.
    Do you work for the Daily Mail?
    No, just watched the match.

3-0 is never a lucky result IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.