closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sinn U1 revelation

Sinn U1 revelation

Well, having got tired of my LV sub and all the 'is that real you must be loaded ' bs I sold it and have bought a U1 as my fault wearer. And after nearly a week of ownership I'm stunned how good it is. I went for the full teg version on leather as I find bracelets uncomfortable but timekeeping is within cosc, the bezel lines up perfectly and every part just oozes quality. I got fed up after Rolex took 3 attempts before finally sorting a crown problem - all very boring but switched me from fan boy to ambivalence and I now realize there is life beyond the fancy crown logo. Currently the sellita movement is functioning just as well as the 3135 and I've got very drunk in the west end with no fear of a mugging!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Well, having got tired of my LV sub and all the 'is that real you must be loaded ' bs I sold it and have bought a U1 as my fault wearer. And after nearly a week of ownership I'm stunned how good it is. I went for the full teg version on leather as I find bracelets uncomfortable but timekeeping is within cosc, the bezel lines up perfectly and every part just oozes quality. I got fed up after Rolex took 3 attempts before finally sorting a crown problem - all very boring but switched me from fan boy to ambivalence and I now realize there is life beyond the fancy crown logo. Currently the sellita movement is functioning just as well as the 3135 and I've got very drunk in the west end with no fear of a mugging!!
    Was looking for the "like" button until I realised this ain't Facebook !!!!!! Godamn Stella !!!

I've had one for a couple of years and it's joined 2 others on my 'I will never sell' list. It's my go to
    watch to cover any kind of situation and love that most people have no idea what it is.
    Tend to wear mine on the rubber strap, what colour leather strap do you have it on?

The Sinn is indeed a very nice watch.

But this:
    I now realize there is life beyond the fancy crown logo.
    is evidence that
    a) you got one for the wrong reason
    b) you have not got over the fact that your present watch, no matter how good value for money, doesn't bear the 'fancy crown'

Incidentally, you're hanging out with the wrong crowd. I bought my first Rolex in 1981 with my first decent paychecks, just before leaving for military service. I sold it 7 years later to help fund my wedding, and bought one back a few years ago (same year). Whether at Uni, in the Army, in my professional life before the wedding and in recent years I never had a comment about being loaded.

That could be because I never told anyone how much they cost.

No need to bash your old brand to enjoy the new. Congratulations on coming to your senses ;-)
    Gray

A tegimented Sinn really appeals to me; I'd probably go for the 5000m quartz though just to have something different in the watch box.

Pics on the leather..?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The Sinn is indeed a very nice watch.

But this:

is evidence that
    a) you got one for the wrong reason
    b) you have not got over the fact that your present watch, no matter how good value for money, doesn't bear the 'fancy crown'

Incidentally, you're hanging out with the wrong crowd. I bought my first Rolex in 1981 with my first decent paychecks, just before leaving for military service. I sold it 7 years later to help fund my wedding, and bought one back a few years ago (same year). Whether at Uni, in the Army, in my professional life before the wedding and in recent years I never had a comment about being loaded.

That could be because I never told anyone how much they cost.
    I'm afraid your response comes across as rather rude and opinionated, which is what tends to happen when someone on this forum dares to even vaguely mention Rolex without fawning all over them. I have had quality issues with various Rolex I've owned sine buying my first in 1987, and have had my watch 'spotted' by clients/friends/dodgy people in pubs over the years and I assure you I wasn't waving my arms about going 'look at my expensive timepiece'. Well done for mixing with the 'right crowd' and for making daft assumptions based on a tiny post in a watch forum ;-)

You could exchange Rolex and Sinn in your post and my comment would be the same (bar the dates of ownership, and the reason for selling): that a new watch floats your boat is kind of a given, but to feel the need to justify getting rid of your old one, especially trying to justify going for something cheaper when there is no justification needed shows a chip on your shoulder. Sorry for spotting it.

Hahaha! There is no chip, my comments were genuine - snobbery raises its ugly head again, grow up!

Master
    Hahaha! There is no chip, my comments were genuine - snobbery raises its ugly head again, grow up!
    Come, come chaps. Let's keep it civil.

I can certainly see the appeal of Sinn and agree with the comment about it having a distinct 'under the radar' cool. That said, I can also completely understand people wanting to try the Rolex experience given the ubiquity of the brand and the heritage therein. As I've said before, it feels like a horological rite of passage to me and I hope to be able to scratch that itch myself with a DJ fairly soon. I can understand the OPs frustration if he has experienced quality issues and I'm sure I would be similarly narked in such a situation. That sort of thing tarnishes a brand and is most regrettable. In terms of comments about the cost of watches or any implied conclusions as to my salary/lifestyle/disposable income, everyone who knows me well knows this is my passion so nobody will be remotely surprised when I turn up at the pub wearing a Rolex. The opinions of people I don't know are only of passing interest and I'm not going to worry about them. Live and let live, after all.

SGR

I do like the sinn u1 but flipped each I've owned within a few weeks of purchase so won't be getting another.
    Bezel alignment on each was crap.

Master
    I've heard more issues with Sinn servicing than I have Rolex, and given their relative production numbers that's saying something. One of my friends sent his watch to Germany three times for the same problem. Sinn couldn't fix it and ended up swapping the movement. My point isn't that Sinn sucks, I have one and like it - it's that these things happen with all brands.

Enjoy your new watch.

Congratulations on your new purchase, I do like Sinn and fancy one of the oil filled ones, don't know why.

Enjoy your watch!

Congrats on the U1 - a great watch.

all the 'is that real you must be loaded ' bs
    Never had this though ^^
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I have to agree with yeah but then again I'm a bit of a Sinn nutter I've even done the factory
    Tour a few years back which is well worth going on if you can they do it once a month
    Here are my Sinn's I have now

Some of the factory

Master
    I have a Sinn (857) arriving his week (hopefully), and can't wait

I'm not selling a Rolex to make way for it, I just like the look of them and want to try one. If it hits the mark, I might upgrade to a diapal, tegimented bracelet model. I'll use it as my daily wearer for a while, but I think my Rolex will be better for the smarter occasion.

Steve.

I've got to say that I can never really relate to posts that convey this type of sentiment. In the ten or so years I've owned Rolex watches, I've never had anyone comment, especially not the "is that real" or "you must be loaded".

I posted yesterday during a lads night out, and during a lull and following a watch discussion with my mates (1panerai 3 subs) I realised we were near St James which I know well having taken my Sub back there recently, twice in quick succession following a service with crown and movement issues - and to be honest I just got fed up with it and decided it had to go. I've had a Rolex on my wrist for the last 25 years and over time just got bored with it I guess, and I see them everywhere so decided to make a change. I suppose a lot of the 'loaded' comments originated when I was very young to be wearing one - and I work in a business which brings me into contact with people in financial difficulties and waving a Rolex in their face just felt like bad manners. I also have an autistic son who can be quite 'physical' and cleaning jam etc from the bracelet links can get tiresome! So, after a couple of years off wearing it sparingly, and not missing it when it was away getting fixed I decided to sell. I'm simply surprised how good the Sinn feels, which I'd why I posted. Waking this morning with a hangover I noticed the classic 'ooh he's dared to say Rolex aren't fantastic he must be too poor to really appreciate them' which frankly I thought was very juvenile and encapsulates the daft snobbery around some brands. I'm not saying Rolex are rubbish but personal experience of over a dozen has led me to realise they aren't sprinkled with fairy dust, so trying something different. I remember when this forum was all Sinn, Seiko and micro brands with a smattering of Rolex and omega etc, now you post quite innocently and someone's waving a finger at your social status and psychological state all based on a wristwatch choice which frankly made me laugh out loud when I read it!!

Fair enough...I definitely wasn't having a dig, just saying I hadn't had the same experiences.

Back to the topic in hand...I've never owned a Sinn, but have always had one on my want list, particular the aviation inspired models. I've also always liked the unique look of the U1.

Congrats, on your Sinn, the U1 is one tank of a watch. Mine says 'Hi' !

Banned
    You wanna be even more surprised try something like Eddie's prs 82 - stunning vfm! The thing feels like there should be a zero added to the price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    You wanna be even more surprised try something like Eddie's prs 82 - stunning vfm! The thing feels like there should be a zero added to the price tag.
    Actually that's the next on my list!!

Sinn are amazing value for money - if their marketing spend was zillions then some bigger brands would really be quite threatened - regimented cases and straps feel really lovely - bit like a titanium texture. They have a real "can do" feel and are so easy to wear. I always liked the u1 and hope it gives you many years ' of enjoyment. I just sold my sub16610 after I realised I had not wore it on nearly a year as I always felt too small. Now for some real controversy - I am taking delivery of a graham chronofighter lol !

Sinn are my fav tool-watch, congrats on a though piece.

Brilliant watches, the U1's. I found that the 44mm case was just a little too large for my wrist and therefore tended to grab my 5513 (and latterly CWC); had it been a little smaller it would have been my perfect weekend/every day watch.

OP, I think you misinterpreted the initial reactions to your comments, FWIW. In any event, it doesn't matter - decision made, side-swipes unnecessary.

Master
    Damn you!!!

Just done a Buy Now on a Sinn U1.... and I was doing so well this month as well.... 12 days in and no watch purchased; it couldn't last.....

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Brilliant watches, the U1's. I found that the 44mm case was just a little too large for my wrist and therefore tended to grab my 5513 (and latterly CWC); had it been a little smaller it would have been my perfect weekend/every day watch.

OP, I think you misinterpreted the initial reactions to your comments, FWIW. In any event, it doesn't matter - decision made, side-swipes unnecessary.
    I think you might be right about misinterpretation - or at least a sense of humour failure on my part! - never post on a forum with a hangover after a stag do! - I agree with you on wrist size, it can make a huge difference - I usually find I need all the links on a bracelet, my arms don't seem to taper to my wrists as much as most people so a 5513 or CWC are just a little small where the U1 is a better fit for me. I like the dull Gray steel too. It hasn't been of my wrist for a week now so all still good!!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    Sinn are amazing value for money - if their marketing spend was zillions then some bigger brands would really be quite threatened
    Aye, but then they'd get dumped on by The Internet ;). Also they'd need both global distribution and global servicing networks; what they have now isn't much above "cottage industry", decent though the watches are (if not nearly the value they used to be)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Are the prices on the rise for 2nd hand? I've build the perfect collection in my mind (haven't we all?) and the next step to getting there is the everyday tool watch. I'd settled on a U1/UX, whichever came up first in a decenet deal and was looking to buy before the end of the year.

When I settled on this plan though, some searching through SC had me thinking that £700-800 was about the typical range and that I may be able to get one slightly cheaper if I wasn't bothered about condition/b&P/staps, maybe a little more for a fully tegimented. But the last couple I've seen have been up for well over a grand with comments that a tegimented one would be a couple of hundred more. But Page and Cooper have new ones for £1000 on leather and £1200 for fully teg.

Is it just a case of 2nd hand watches holding their prices very well? I know the straps add a bit to rrp, but most of the ones for sale seem to have an option of straps.

At £1000 they're getting to the point that I'd be worrying about knocking/scratching the thing which would defeat the purpose entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    But Page and Cooper have new ones for £1000 on leather and £1200 for fully teg.
    The prices at Page & Cooper are excluding vat, so you need to add that on to them.

I bought a U1 from SC last month, my 4th I think & have noticed s/h prices creeping up but no more than other brands are doing.

Dan

No VAT? That'd explain it...Balls.

Master
    Just ordered from P&C... They were about the best price (not that there's a lot to choose between the various sellers). 2-3 week delivery - I guess they don't hold stock.

Last week Chronomaster had them in stock, might be worth giving them a ring.

Master
    Apparently it's cause I've gone for a slightly less common version; black bezel and leather strap.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Apparently it's cause I've gone for a slightly less common version; black bezel and leather strap.

Ahh got ya, fantastic watch the U1

Just ordered from P&C... They were about the best price (not that there's a lot to choose between the various sellers). 2-3 week delivery - I guess they don't hold stock.
    When I ordered mine they only had one in stock I think which was the fully tegimented on leather - exactly what I wanted! - the wait is worth it you won't be disappointed imho!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    I have to agree with yeah but then again I'm a bit of a Sinn nutter I've even done the factory
    Tour a few years back which is well worth going on if you can they do it once a month

Looking at those images from the factory it looks like the U1 is available with different coloured faces. Is that right?

The U1 is on my to do list I'm very impressed with its look so congrats on your purchase wear it well, i have the PRS82 it is a truly fine timepiece but is vying for wrist time with a Dagaz Cav1 i acquired the other month on SC at the moment.

Bought mine from Classic Watches in Germany www.uhrenfreund.com, on bracelet plus rubber strap, 2 years ago for Euros1540 including delivery,
    excellent service.

Looks like their current price is E 1505 excluding dely and the rubber strap

A lovely watch. I must say I prefer mine on a bracelet on account of the weight being better distributed than on the NATO Id been keeping it on.

The thing that gets the most comments? : The Lego hands. I think they look great - very clear and simple, although I know some folk just don't like them.

Master
    Looking at those images from the factory it looks like the U1 is available with different coloured faces. Is that right?
    They have released a number of different LE versions, of varying levels of ugliness.

Normally Sinn's are the same price in euro's as what they are in GBPs over here in Germany

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    Normally Sinn's are the same price in euro's as what they are in GBPs over here in Germany
    Unlike Nomos then who are about £300 cheaper for a Zurich if you live in mainland Europe.

I'm having a similar experience with my Damasko DC66. Similar Germanic over-engineering, awesome material technology (think their cases are similarly durable if not more so) and just great to wear. Not only is my 5513 bombed out, owing to the indestructable factor, my Gs have also taken a back seat. Love it...

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Unlike Nomos then who are about £300 cheaper for a Zurich if you live in mainland Europe.
    Think he means its the same amount in Euros as it is in pounds which means it is cheaper, see my post below equivalent at current exchange rate about £1200 pounds
    on Bracelet

Over here a new U1 and a bracelet works out at around £1200

Sinn German price's at the min

Price including leather strap 1350.00 €

Price including silicone strap 1505.00 €

Price including solid bracelet 1505.00 €

Surcharge case made with TEGIMENT 200.00 €

Journeyman
    I really like the U1 but I really prefer watches not to be larger than 42mm. The newer Sinn diver with the cushion case doesn't quite do it for me.

To be honest it doesn't wear large as the lugs are so short - in fact it wears more like a Seiko monster than a 44mm Panerai for example.

I want to wear my U1 on an isofrane from time to time but wanted some shoulderless springbars as I'm a bit worried about the strap gripping the normal bars and popping them out under strain. Apparently the Sinn bars are titanium so I emailed customer service - I've just received an email from Sinn saying they are sending me some bars free from Germany - pretty good customer service I think!