closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fibre in display back

Fibre in display back

I recently bought a second hand 'Skyfall' Aqua Terra which is now a keeper! It's a great watch. However, I noticed a small 'fibre' under the display back and when I looked at it under a loupe it appeared to be a little piece of metal. Although it is probably just a fibre as I can't see how it would be a metal filing.

I wasn't too concerned as I thought I would just get it removed at a boutique next time I'm in London (the watch still has 2.5 years of warranty and the red dot is still intact). However I looked tonight and the little scamp has left the underside of the crystal and obviously gone into the movement.

Timekeeping hasn't been affect (yet) but I guess the worst case is that timing goes off and if it is a piece of metal a few worn parts that a service would fix?

I'm now planning just to leave it and if it misbehaves send it back under warranty. Does that sound like the right thing to do?
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 7th August 2014 at 06:30.

That's the trouble with display backs! - actually that doesn't sound right to me at all, I had a Panerai with large piece of fluff visible through the display back, unbelievable on a brand new watch imho! - I think I'd get it liked at under the warranty as there's a chance it might just stop dead. Very annoying I should imagine, good luck getting it sorted.

Master
    If you thought it looked metallic, I wouldn't chance it – get it sorted now, as it'll always be in the back of your mind.

Blog Entries
    Fibre? in movement
    When I saw this title I was thinking of an entirely different sort of movement...

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    If you thought it looked metallic, I wouldn't chance it – get it sorted now, as it'll always be in the back of your mind.
    And surprisingly enough this advice applies equally well to the sort of movement I was thinking of.

Red face

Me too!! :) Thought it was misposted in 'Watch talk'.

[QUOTE=markrlondon;3223250]When I saw this title I was thinking of an entirely different sort of movement.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I think I'd get it liked at under the warranty as there's a chance it might just stop dead. Very annoying I should imagine, good luck getting it sorted.
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Think I'll take this advice. Thanks. Although if it can't been seen now, what are the chances of Swatch actually taking the movement apart to find it?

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    When I saw this title I was thinking of an entirely different sort of movement...

And surprisingly enough this advice applies equally well to the sort of movement I was thinking of.
    Haha. Title edited.
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 7th August 2014 at 06:38.

Grand Master
    That's strange! It's likely to be a tiny fibre from clothing, the buggers get everywhere no matter how careful you are. It's very unlikely to be a piece of metal unless it's a fragment from a screwhead, and that really shouldn`t be present on something like this!

Here's my advice: I think the watch should be opened up by a repairer in a clean workshop, and inspected very carefully using a strong loupe. It's surprising how tiny bits of debris can be spotted by doing this, I inspect watches this way after I`ve built them up. Hopefully this will allow the foreign body to be spotted and removed, or at least show (by it's absemce) that it's not in a place where it'll cause problems. There's a likelihood that it's found a new home in the movement and it'll never cause a problem. If it doesn`t cause problems within a few weeks my guess is that it'll be OK. Worst case would be if it got into the escapement, but that would probably show up on a sophisticated timing machine if the trace was studied carefully.

I think you'll struggle to persuade Omega to completely strip the movement and rebuild it. Getting them to give it a clean bill of health is probably the best you'll get. Considering the warranty lasts for 4 years I think I`d be happy at that; if it hasn`t caused a problem in 4 years it won`t cause one at all IMO.

Always knew glass backs were a bad idea, another of Omega's gimmicks IMO but I guess some folks like 'em.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I've dropped them an email so will see what they say. I was happy enough to leave it as there's plenty of warranty remaining.

I gather that when it next gets serviced the movement will be completely stripped and each part cleaned?

The fibre was actually sitting on the glass above the balance wheel, so probably the worst place it may have fallen into!

Oh well, I'll see what they say. Certainly won't be loosing any sleep over it :-).

Swatch asked me to send the watch to Southhampton. They received it yesterday and going by the online progress check, they are going to do a partial service. Anyone know what a partial service is?

I have to say, I'm very impressed so far with the communication and how quickly they have dealt with this.

It's probably s special edition.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    It's probably s special edition.

Eddie
    A fibre from Daniel Craigs suit perhaps? :-)

Mr T, It may sound rather silly of me saying this but are Swatch aware that there is a bit of junk floating about? It would be a shame if they just did a service and failed to remove the foreign object.

Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    Mr T, It may sound rather silly of me saying this but are Swatch aware that there is a bit of junk floating about? It would be a shame if they just did a service and failed to remove the foreign object.
    Yeah they are indeed. That's the reason I sent it and included a covering letter detailing that.

It's only 2 years old so not actually due a service. They are doing a partial service to remove the debris.

Since it's under warranty, i would return it to the service centre for them to correct this issue by removing the piece of fibre before it damages the movement?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    If the watch gets a full service any pieces of debris will vanish......but there's a slim chance that new ones will take their place.

A full service means stripping the movement completely......it's nothing like servicing cars and that's why it's costly thesedays.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If the watch gets a full service any pieces of debris will vanish......but there's a slim chance that new ones will take their place.

A full service means stripping the movement completely......it's nothing like servicing cars and that's why it's costly thesedays.

Paul
    Hi Paul,

It's getting a 'partial' service at the minute, so I suspect they will just open the watch up and have a good look for the offending piece. I have been very impressed with the service so far. Let's hope I will be saying the same upon its return!

Journeyman
    I'm not sure Omega will open the watch if the fibre cannot be seen and the watch is keeping accurate time.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I'm not sure Omega will open the watch if the fibre cannot be seen and the watch is keeping accurate time.
    I think a 'partial service' will include the caseback being opened. They have recorded on the CIS that there is a fibre/metallic fragment in the movement, so I think they will at least have a look for it :-).

Master
    I hate to be negative, but how would anyone know if they did anything, beyond them removing the red dot? You'd only know it was removed if you never saw it again, but that might happen anyway.

Sorry, I'm just a bit of a grump with Omega servicing! It's a problem I need to see someone about :)

Master
    Partial service... Case back off and dyson used for said fibre?

Master
    I've noticed a couple of 'bits' in the back of both my POC 9300s over time and they've all moved after a little while. My assumption is that they're bits of wear from the mechanical parts and perfectly normal. If the watches had a solid caseback you'd never see them and the watch would be cleaned up at service.

I think Swatch are being good looking into your issue, but I don't expect them to do much to the watch other than hoover it out a bit...

Grand Master
    You shouldn`t see anything inside the movement! It isn`t like old car engines which have to run in.

Even in a clean environment it requires care and rigour to avoid tiny dust particles or fibres getting into a movement. A strong loupe and a piece of Rodico come in useful for final checking.

If the watch comes back OK (I`m sure it will) I wouldn`t worry about it, and I certainly wouldn`t spend time inspecting the movement through the glass back. I`m not a fan of glass backs, yet another marketing gimmick IMO.

Paul

Thanks for all the replies. I wish I had thought of the Dyson idea before I sent the watch away :-).

I've no reason to doubt they will have a look for it but there are still a couple of years warranty left, so if it plays up at a later date then I guess they can have another go!

At least I'll get an Omega service case out of it. :-)

'First world problems' springs to mind.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    At least I'll get an Omega service case out of it.
    I never get chance to acquire one of these......I'll have it if you don`t want it

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I never get chance to acquire one of these......I'll have it if you don`t want it
    PM me your address Paul. I have a spare one I'll send you. You've always been very helpful with your advice!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    PM me your address Paul. I have a spare one I'll send you. You've always been very helpful with your advice!
    Thanks! PM on it's way.

A true Yorky never looks a gift-horse in the mouth or turns a freebie down.

Paul

Banned
    Blog Entries
    remove display back, remove fibre/metal, replace display back.