closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Netflix and Apple TV

Netflix and Apple TV

I've finally given in and got Netflix. I know £6.99 a month is hardly a fortune, but I've been slightly aggrieved to take on another streaming/pay-TV subscription on top of Sky and Lovefilm/Amazon, partly as I seem to end up duplicating much of content. Unfortunately, and obviously by design, there is enough exclusive content on each provider to make them all attractive. (Arguably Amazon has the least desirable exclusives, but I like to watch Blu-Ray's from Lovefilm, so I'm going to keep that on).

Also slightly annoyingly, my Smart TV isn't as smart as I thought, and it doesn't run the Netflix App, so I picked up an AppleTV unit.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the AppleTV - it's typical Apple, in that it "just works". I'm sure there are competitors that are cheaper (and offer a wider range of apps), but it's a great way to view Netflix, as well as being able to stream all your iTunes library to the TV set. It also lets you stream content from an iPad or iPhone back to the TV connected to the AppleTV. Great bit of kit IMO!

There's actually some pretty good stuff on Netflix. We've got through Orange is the New Black, I'm watching House of Card and Arrested Development, but I've finally got to see It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - I've caught the odd episode of this in the past, but AFAIK it's not been taken up over here. I highly recommend this as an antidote to the slight cheesiness of even the best US comedies - great characters, who are almost unforgivably self-serving. It's a little bit like The Office US or Parks & Receration, but more brutal.

Also watching Hemlock Grove - a bit derivative, but enjoyable hokum.

Short Poppies is pretty good - the brilliant Rhys Darby from Flight of the Concords.

Just wondering if there are any other hidden gems on Netflix?

Banned
    I switched to Netflix 2 months ago looks good value but then I am at home all day, I have it on TiVo my Smart TV and on the lads Xbox, ATM we are in Southern France tried it on the lads Xbox but unfortunately Netflix is not available here????? I was looking forward to a few films but alas it was not meant to be.

Come on NetFlix.
    Last edited by Fords; 6th August 2014 at 07:25.

Master
    Hidden gem on Netflix is the Good Wife it is superb brilliantly acted and a really classy drama, watch one and you will be hooked.

Don't know if you've seen Breaking Bad but if not I highly recommend it.

If you look for unblockus or hola, you'll also be able to view the American Netflix and more content.
    I'm using the free version of hola at the moment and so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    Don't know if you've seen Breaking Bad but if not I highly recommend it.
    Yes, BB is brilliant.

nice to have it available to watch again though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by seewhatyouthink View Post
    If you look for unblockus or hola, you'll also be able to view the American Netflix and more content.
    I'm using the free version of hola at the moment and so far so good.
    I'm tempted to try this, as it makes the selection more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    I switched to Netflix 2 months ago looks good value but then I am at home all day, I have it on TiVo my Smart TV and on the lads Xbox, ATM we are in Southern France tried it on the lads Xbox but unfortunately Netflix is not available here????? I was looking forward to a few films but alas it was not meant to be.

Come on NetFlix.
    you just need to use a VPN to trick Netflix into thinking you're in the UK.
    Many companies offer this, many guarantee results.
    Last edited by robcuk; 8th August 2014 at 15:14.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    you out need to use a VPN to trick Netflix into thinking you're in the UK.
    Many companies offer this, many guarantee results.
    Thanks I will look into this for later on in the year, I have resisted putting a smart TV in here, the place is rented out now till Nov.

Just had a look, all i need is a lead from the laptop to the TV to hidemybutt.

Last edited by Fords; 6th August 2014 at 20:53.

Craftsman
    Hi Robcat

Just found 'It's always sunny in philadelphia' myself! Loving it!

Anyway I subscribe to netflex, and I also subscribe to http://www.unblock-us.com/ . It costs $4.99 canadian dollers a month (about £2.70) and gives us access to all the netflicks geographies. It's a doddle to use and I thoroughly recommend it, you wouldn't believe the difference in content between some of the countries! I am sure it is possible to spoof or proxy or vpn your way in to different geographies if you have the know how, but the time and hassle to me are not worth it when i can use their service, at that price.

If I'm looking for something specific i'll use http://www.moreflicks.com/ to find out if it is available on netflicks, and if so in which territories. If it is i'll then go to unblock us, use the drop down to select my country, and off i go.

I think I'm going to end up trying the VPN option at some point. Doing a bit of reading around, the film selection seems much better on the US Netflix.

Basically the film selection is always the best wherever they are currently trying to expand to - Norway and Sweden have good selections at the moment for example - if you have an android phone, 'Nu for Netflix' is handy to see what is hot in which region.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Just wondering if there are any other hidden gems on Netflix?
    Orange is the new black << dooh your watching it.
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 8th August 2014 at 12:35. Reason: I'm a numpty

Journeyman
    You can just change the DNS in the Apple TV settings to fool Netflix into showing the US version, very easy to do without having a VPN service.

Much better choice of stuff. Some great documentaries too.

Quote Originally Posted by mailforkev View Post
    You can just change the DNS in the Apple TV settings to fool Netflix into showing the US version, very easy to do without having a VPN service.

Much better choice of stuff. Some great documentaries too.
    Any chance of a link to a guide on how to do that?

Craftsman
    I set up a US itunes account which may do the same as above, maybe, hopefully

Craftsman
    I VPN into Netflix through my ATV using Blockless which I find very good.

So far watched the complete Breaking Bad (very, very good) and also the complete 7 series of The Shield (also good).

Now watching random films until another series takes my fancy.