closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Holiday watch ideas

Holiday watch ideas

Off on holiday to the Lake District at the end of the week. Planning a bit of mountain biking and walking, possibly a bit of kayaking. I'm thinking of picking up a watch for c. £100 for the holiday perhaps with a splash of colour. Any suggestions for something decent.

Alternatively are their any of you out there that wear more expensive watches for your more adventurous times, and if so what's your favourite?

Quote Originally Posted by mattjg01 View Post
    Alternatively are their any of you out there that wear more expensive watches for your more adventurous times, and if so what's your favourite?
    Breitling Aerospace, always :)

100 quid, is that what a Monster costs?

Master
    Seiko 009 on a blue and red NATO has been my holiday watch for the last couple of years. Can't fault it.

Craftsman
    Off on holiday to the Lake District at the end of the week. Planning a bit of mountain biking and walking, possibly a bit of kayaking. I'm thinking of picking up a watch for c. £100 for the holiday perhaps with a splash of colour. Any suggestions for something decent.

In the lakes (Ambleside) right now and wearing a prs-22.

Vostok Amphibia. Comes in any colour you like. Cheap so you won't worry if you bash it. It works brilliantly with a NATO, which you can cheaply change if you want a different look. A major plus is it fits under a long sleeve top without snagging, something a Seiko diver didn't.

I've worn mine swimming/rafting and it was fine. It got bashed and I didn't care.

I've regulated my example and it's +7 sec / 24 hrs.

G shock would have sprung to mind about 6 months ago but would go for a Seiko now. Bit of colour required ?

Just over a £100 should get you this.

Had forgotten about monsters!!

A few good thoughts here. Any more ideas?

DB9 do you feel that the aerospace will take plenty of knocks without looking a mess?

Master
    It will be my trusty Skx007

Master
    Any nice bright or white g-shock for me - always feel like its holiday when I put one of those on.
    Also most of Eddies will take a beating and keepmon going.

Second hand casio quartz dive watch off eBay. £30 should get you one

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    Vostok Amphibia. Comes in any colour you like. Cheap so you won't worry if you bash it. It works brilliantly with a NATO, which you can cheaply change if you want a different look. A major plus is it fits under a long sleeve top without snagging, something a Seiko diver didn't.

I've worn mine swimming/rafting and it was fine. It got bashed and I didn't care.

Which case type number is yours? Just wondering because I know that some wouldn't fit under a long sleeve very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Vost View Post
    Which case type number is yours? Just wondering because I know that some wouldn't fit under a long sleeve very easily.
    420 case.

It's 13mm thick but don't let that put you off. It's only that thick at the top of the domed crystal; the bezel doesn't protrude past the edge of the case, the bezel itself is thin, 2mm lower than the top of the crystal and doesn't have sharp teeth, so doesn't catch on sleeves. It wears small on the wrist.
    Last edited by oldandgrumpy; 4th August 2014 at 23:26.

Journeyman
    I have the 420 myself but haven't worn it with long sleeves yet. I just wondered because I've seen pictures of one or two styles that look really large and awkwardly shaped. I found out they are the 110 and 710, the 110 looks worse though. I agree with what you said about it wearing fairly small and some of the height coming from the crystal, I'm pretty sure it's more than 13mm to the top of the crystal though.

Anyway I can attest that an Amphibia is a good suggestion. It's not a watch you'd need to worry about as it's tough enough to look after itself and wouldn't cost a lot to replace. You'd probably have to find a UK seller to have it by the end of the week though.
    Last edited by Vost; 4th August 2014 at 23:45.

How about the Orient Ray? I just got one of these in blue last week as my new holiday beater. Looks fantastic, waterproof, and only £115 from Amazon. NATO strap just arrived for it today so looking forward to trying it on the watch this evening.

This

just ordered one of these for the exact same reasons your wanting one,creation watches £105

Lots of good ideas, thanks. I'm running out of time now so going to have to do a quick search round sellers to see what I can get in time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post

Is there a UK seller for Vostok or should I look on the bay ? I'd like to get a Team Zissou type for my son

cheers
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by cricketer View Post
    Is there a UK seller for Vostok or should I look on the bay ? I'd like to get a Team Zissou type for my son

cheers
    Alan
    I've used an eBay seller named "Zenitar" for a Vostok handset I had shipped to the UK, I get emails from them now and they seem to have a dazzling array of all things Vostok.
    Johnny.

Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cricketer View Post

cheers
    Alan
    I have also used Zenitar, Boris or Camo city and Meranom all sell on ebay.
    There's lots of styles to choose from, have a look on Meranom's site as they show all models with dimensions, they also have some very nice SE models.

Quote Originally Posted by lex524 View Post
    I like that and the price

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by lex524 View Post
    Argos might be the answer, some relatively cheap and cheerful stock there.

Journeyman
    I saw both of these in my local Argos.... Wasn't even looking for watches but I like the eco drives and great for this money.... Someone posted the Seiko BFK Pepsi as an option... I'd really like that but it's almost too nice for a holiday watch! (Plus quite heavy/big for the beach!)

Master
    I bought this on holiday in France. It SCREAMS 'Holiday', to me at least!

Another vote for the Seiko Pepsi dial from me.

Also loving the Vostoks too though.

How about the SNK809K2?
    Only £46 at Creation....

(I know this is too late for your holiday)

Last edited by Marky; 14th August 2014 at 12:12.

Opps. ignore my suggestion above; I've replied to the wrong holiday watch thread, sorry...

Master
    On holiday at the moment with this that I bought for £92 from creation. Wasn't sure at first but really like it can not fault it for them money and certainly adds a splash of colour.