closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Aerosol deodorant causes instant headache - just me?

Master

Aerosol deodorant causes instant headache - just me?

Now this is a very off topic question but I was hoping for a little info into this somewhat unusual problem.

For years I've had to avoid aerosol deodorant/antiperspirant as I found that it would give me a headache within 5 seconds of spraying it. My sensitivity to this so acute that I can be downstairs in my house when one of my teenage kids sprays the stuff upstairs in their bedroom and it still gets me.

There is obviously a chemical used in the production process which disagrees with me and I can (most of the time) avoid exposure but I was wondering if anyone else gets the same reaction, or perhaps we have a resident chemist who can explain which chemical is to blame.

Doesnt give me a headache, but makes it close to impossible for me to breathe in a room where its been sprayed. So when my wife uses it (usually in the bathroom), i turn the ventilator on and it quickly sucks it out of the room...

The propellant used, butane, can cause headaches - it's the chemical used in lighter gas.

Most aerosols use this nowadays since the previously used CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons) have been largely outlawed due to affect on ozone layer.

Master
    We've noticed that Sure deodorant has changed, maybe last year. We both (wife & me) start chocking after spraying it in our bathroom, it's really strong and gets right in your throat, they've definitely changed the ingredients and this is all flavours. We've used Sure for years but can't anymore and now reverted to Right Guard which is much better.

I'm a chartered chemist and used to work manufacturing aerosol deodorants many years ago. Active ingredient is aluminium chlorohydrate which prevents sweating, and gives you a slight dry sensation in your nose and mouth if your unlucky enough to inhale in a confined space. This is only present in antiperspirant products, not body sprays, which are just fragrance, alcohol and some moisturising ingredients. If you have issues with both types of product it could be the propellant gas (butane) or possibly the alcohol - denatured ethanol (or DEB) is most commonly used. If it's only antiperspirants, then it could be aluminium chlorohydrate. Sensitisation to particular chemicals is fairly common, no known cure apart from avoiding them unfortunately.

Master
    If it's the propellant, read the ingredients and look for one without butane. Other propellants like DME, CO2 and even compressed air can be used for aerosols. I haven't looked at deodorants but, given the fact that it seems possible these days to get virtually anything, I guess you can find them with alternative propellant.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, gives me a headache as does spray room fresheners.

Try a roll-on.

:)

Master
    Thanks for the replies and a particular thanks to our resident chartered chemist - what a great place this is!

I've used a roll-on for more than 20 years because of this problem and I've even managed to convert SWMBO. Things get a little more difficult now there are 2 teenagers in the house as they seem intent on drenching themselves aerosol based products. Lynx is particularly bad and whatever my daughter is now using.

I don't have a particular problem with exposure to other aerosols such as furniture polish or the numerous products I use in my garage so I'm less inclined to think it is the propellant (fly spray has a bad effect on me). Based on Matt's comments I'm wondering if it's aluminium chlorohydrate in aerosol form which is finding its way into my system via a short cut (nose / lungs). I'm sure that the method of exposure to an irritant (ingestion, inhalation, injection, etc) makes a big difference to the way the body reacts and this now makes me wonder how these products are tested and what other side effects may go unseen by manufacturers and regulators.

Interesting stuff, for me at least ;)

Craftsman
    I avoid using them by having a good stand up wash at the sink every morning. I believe they call it a French shower.

Blog Entries
    You should avoid all aerosol deodorants and change to a roll on I use Sanex which does not leave marks and is not sticky. As to using Lynx do not believe the adverts

I like the manly smell of carbolic. Lifebuoy for me although the proper stuff has been banned by the EU. Wash my clothes in Sunlight cos that's manly too.

None of these fancy-Dan fragrances here. I want to smell like a bloke.

Have you tried one of those crystal deodorants? It's like a stick of opaque rock, made of ammonium alum and you moisten it with water and put it on your armpits.

No nasty metal chemicals and as it's natural, it's hypoallergenic. More expensive but lasts ages.

I agree with Mart on the whole "Lynx effect". Overrated ;-) Though in seriousness, inhaling aluminium anything or absorbing into skin close to lymph nodes can't be healthy :-(
    Last edited by messym; 3rd August 2014 at 14:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Zissou1981 View Post
    I avoid using them by having a good stand up wash at the sink every morning. I believe they call it a French shower.
    No a French shower is when instead of washing you just spray yourself with deodorant.

Yep awful stuff, I have to stick my head out a window until it clears!
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post
    Have you tried one of those crystal deodorants? It's like a stick of opaque rock, made of ammonium alum and you moisten it with water and put it on your armpits.

No nasty metal chemicals and as it's natural, it's hypoallergenic. More expensive but lasts ages.

I agree with Mart on the whole "Lynx effect". Overrated ;-) Though in seriousness, inhaling aluminium anything or absorbing into skin close to lymph nodes can't be healthy :-(
    It does contain aluminium, which is probably why it works.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ammonium-Alu.../dp/B007RE9S0U

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunce View Post
    I like the manly smell of carbolic. Lifebuoy for me although the proper stuff has been banned by the EU. Wash my clothes in Sunlight cos that's manly too.

None of these fancy-Dan fragrances here. I want to smell like a bloke.
    Had the misfortune years ago to travel on the tube with guys and girls like you tended to put me of my "Mens Health" magazine and my Fish supper

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It does contain aluminium, which is probably why it works.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ammonium-Alu.../dp/B007RE9S0U
    Ah, well that explains why I didn't do well in science at school :-/

Craftsman
    A real man should smell like an old Land rover full of wet Labradors with an overnote of gun oil or Castrol R.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CLOCKMAN View Post
    A real man should smell like an old Land rover full of wet Labradors with an overnote of gun oil or Castrol R.
    That made me smile but also made me feel a little transparent. I own a 50 year old Landrover, have a black Labrador and a reasonable airgun collection. I often joke with SWMBO about my ideal aftershave being Eau de EP90!!

I can't use anti-perspirant as it makes me itch like crazy.
    Deodorant is fine, so I'd assumed there was "something" in it that doesn't agree with me, assuming (thanks to MattMM's post) that it's the Aluminium chlorohydrate.
    Luckily, there's loads of simple deodorant body sprays with no anti-perspirant properties so if that turns out to be the OP's trigger it's simple enough to avoid.
    Johnny.