closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Early transitional Heuer Autavia beater

Early transitional Heuer Autavia beater

I've just received my Heuer Autavia 2446 back from a nice spa treatment. It was the first Heuer I bought back in 2008 or so, cost me about £700 or so from an eBay seller in Argentina. It went straight off for a service but then I started looking at pictures on Onthedash and realised my watch didn't exactly match any of the manual wind Autavias shown there. It has a lot of character though and I've always resisted selling it, I even considered breaking it for parts as I thought it was made up from what was left in someone's spares drawer but kept hold of it. The main chrono and two of the three sub dial hands were incorrect, the bezel and dial a bit worn out but the Val72 movement ticked away very happily and loudly until the mainspring stopped working at the end of last year. Off to see Rich Askham it went and then it transpired on Onthedash a few other people had the same configuration and it was actually an early transitional Autavia. I (eventually) found a set of matching sub dial hands that are correct for the Val72 but a tad thicker than correct Autavia ones, and Rich fitted them along with a better matching main chrono hand. In the meantime I'd commissioned Giuliano - a strap maker who puts together very nice Corfam replica straps over on Onthedash - to make me a 19mm strap and that arrived in no time from Italy. Giuliano even sent me photos as he was making the strap. The watch arrived back from Rich this morning, ticking loudly again, and looks superb on its new strap. Sure, the watch is an old dog with four out of six hands incorrect but I love it and it's not going anywhere. Rich and Giuliano are both craftsmen of the highest order, thanks chaps!

Master

I like old dogs!!😄

Now that has a lot of charactor to me and finding out its not a miss match of old parts just makes it all the better(and more valued?)
    You are a lucky man, bought with your heart and landed on your feet!!
    Enjoy and if you ever do consider doing the unthinkable then can I be in that queue please!!😊

Chris

That is a gorgeous looking watch! congrats.
    Hope the healey is running well.
    Best
    Will

'tis a lovely watch with a great deal of character Simon

Definitely on my wish list.

Blog Entries
    Super cool that... I'm a sucker for all things vintage and chrono!

Is that a Shirley bassey album?

What an appealing gem you have there Simon.

This ticks soooo many boxes in my heart. I could easily look at this watch every day and smile.
    Credit to both you & Rich for selecting very sympathetic hands to make up the numbers.
    And never loose hope - i lived with an incorrect handset on my large register 1st execution 2446 for about 5 years whilst i searched out the ellusive Dauphine hands - never once did i consider throwing in the towl as the watch was a thing of beauty in its own right , much as your lovely example pictured above.

Wear it and smile mate !!
    Oh, & finally - a nice touch getting the corfam look-a-like made up in 19mm width , a nice detail !!!!!
    Last edited by Darren Cal.11/12; 2nd August 2014 at 14:03.

Thanks chaps, it's a lovely watch. My perfectly restored 2446c spends most of its time in the safe, this one is going to get out a lot more. To answer some questions:

That is in fact a Shirley Bassie album and I'm proud of it. Although I have to say it's one I inherited. Honest.

The watch isn't for sale at all, ever. Sorry.

The Healey is running great bar a few bits failing where replacement parts have been inferior. It needs a good service and some clutch work (I'm glad someone thought I'd want to save £20 by buying a cheap thrust release bearing).

Thanks Darren. You must have been overjoyed finding some Dauphine hands for your Autavia, they must be bloody rare. My 2446 looks good enough, I'll try to find some hands but if it doesn't work out I won't worry too much.

It has the look and the care of a treasured thing. Cracker
    Gray

Master
    That's absolutely beautiful - great write-up too!