closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Rolex with 'Tropical' dials - I'm sorry...

Red face Vintage Rolex with 'Tropical' dials - I'm sorry...

...but 90% of these are just peeling, flaking, discoloured, disintegrating pieces of cr@p that are only fit for scrap. Very few are the even, rich dark chocolate colour that a tropical dial is supposed to be. What a joke!

People who actually pay a premium for these watches with buggered dials need their heads examined!!

Rant over! :)

I agree entirely M

I agree in many ways, in that there's a difference between a dial that's turned a lovely chocolate colour and one that's simply fracked. I've seen some dials listed on the VRF that are nothing more than a joke.

I love vintage watches but cannot abide builders tea patina flaking or not.

Craftsman
    The word patina is often used in some controversial ways! A gentle discoloration is lovely but some watches just look battered.

Craftsman
    I like vintage watches, but I don't like the 'patina' on 'em, I sure love a NOS Pepsi mat dial on oyster though... Nice crisp white indexes, no rust on the hands, minty case...

Master
    I just don't get the whole patina thing!
    Fare enough, when the watch has aged beautifully.But to have a watch that's banged and scraped, to me that's just abused.
    I'm referring to any brand, each to their own i suppose.

Red face I think 'Patina' on a dial looks lovely. as long as it's...

...creamy. even dial plots/bezel pip, matching aged lume on hands and faded bezel. :)

John, that's beautiful!!

...Now, THAT'S what I call Tropical. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    I agree entirely M

Craftsman
    Some might call this 'aged beautifully', seen it happen on eBay on some pieces, I call that 'beat the shit out of it':

(BTW, watch is just an example, this specific piece never was for sale as far as I know).

Craftsman
    That looks awful. Please tell me folks don't consider paying a permium for it?

Grand Master
    There is an acceptable degree of patina that does enhance certain old watches, but in many cases patina is a euphemism for severely aged (aka knackered).

I prefer genuine old stuff that still looks virtually as sharp as it did when new, and that's not easy to find.

As for the tropical dial thing on old Rolexes, it's just another aspect of the vintage Rolex thing that doesn`t make sense.

It's their interest and their money.........the vintage Rolex aficionados think the rest of us are crazy philistines because we don`t get it.

Paul

Apprentice
    I like some versions of so-called "tropical" dials, and not others. This one, which happens to also be my favorite vintage dive watch model, I like:

The James Dowling article for QP on patina is worth a read: http://www.qpmagazine.com/issues/65/...or-collectors/

That atricle from James Dowling is a great read, thanks for sharing!

I have to admit I am one who (on vintage watches) likes a certain amount of patina, I am especially a sucker for creamy dial indices and hands.

Wouldn't mind a certain degree of 'tropic' discolouration but not to the extent where it is flaking

On a side note, would there not be an issue where the bits that are flaking off can get into the movement and cause no end of problems ?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I prefer genuine old stuff that still looks virtually as sharp as it did when new, and that's not easy to find.
    I with you there - original dial on my 1665 and the maxi markers are >just< beginning to go off-white to cream. Crystal, hands, bezel and pip are NOS and the watch has been pressure tested. It's as good and as useable as it was 40 years ago :)

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Hoving View Post
    Some might call this 'aged beautifully', seen it happen on eBay on some pieces, I call that 'beat the shit out of it':

(BTW, watch is just an example, this specific piece never was for sale as far as I know).

That looks like it's been chucked out of a moving car!

Master
    Love the smashed up sub (though unlikely to attempt to recreate it with my 1680...).

I also prefer creamy plots/hands, rather than yellowy 'tropical'.

Whilst the chocolatey tropical dials don't do anything for me, I at least get it.
    Flaking dials and spiderwebbing on the other hand... I think you'd have to be mad to pay a premium for something that is essentially in poor condition.

Dark patina, wearing age with pride...does it for me. Here's a few from the dark side of my collection...

It's gonna cost you bit to get those cleaned up at service ;-)
    Gray

Love that dark cream lume.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Dark patina, wearing age with pride...does it for me. Here's a few from the dark side of my collection...

Seadweller stands out for me amongst those.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt1974 View Post
    Seadweller stands out for me amongst those.
    +1

I do not like flaky dials, but I do not like rusty hands either. To me a vintage watch has to be functional. I can live with no lume as it implies patinated indexes, but if it's supposed to be water resistant I expect it to be as well.

The spiderweb dial craze leaves me speechless. And I completely accept I may be a philistine.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    +1 I do not like flaky dials, but I do not like rusty hands either. To me a vintage watch has to be functional. I can live with no lume as it implies patinated indexes, but if it's supposed to be water resistant I expect it to be as well. The spiderweb dial craze leaves me speechless. And I completely accept I may be a philistine.
    Age is one thing but rust is a no no for me too. Anything that indicates the insides have been damp, damaged and that bits might flake off puts me off.
    Gray

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    The word patina is often used in some controversial ways! A gentle discoloration is lovely but some watches just look battered.
    Very true!!

Craftsman
    I've often wondered why in the classic car world renovating to as new is desirable and adds value, while in the watch world any renovation of a classic watch is frowned apon and knocks £'s off its value.

Can't see anytime soon an ad for a DB5 which is 3 times more expensive because it's original paintwork has faded and started to flake off.

Neil

Have to agree with the OP. I find any vintage watch that's old and battered or shows obvious defects off putting. I can withstand a bit od discoloured lume on an otherwise well looked after watch but that's about my personal limit.

Master
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that so why not if it tickles your fancy.