closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hamilton Geneve G10 6bb 1974 and CWC W10 1976 - inherited watches

Hamilton Geneve G10 6bb 1974 and CWC W10 1976 - inherited watches

Hi all,

This is my first post to the site, although I've lurked here for a bit.

I recently inherited these two watches following a house clearance of an elderly relative. I don't know much about them, but from what I have found online (mostly here), they were both RAF servicemen watches, produced in relatively small batches, and some of the last mechanical watches produced for the military. I think the CWC is likely to have a 17 jewel ETA movement inside and the Hamilton to have a 17 jewel in-house movement.

I'm interested to know if the leather straps are original or whether they would have been on nylon straps.

The elderly relative wasn't an RAF serviceman and so must have collected them over the years (as I understand it the collection was originally much larger but these were the last two found).

If anybody can shed more light on these watches and their history I would really appreciate it.

I'm also looking to get them both serviced at Ryte Time - have people had positive experiences with them? Both watches run and keep reasonable time but I reckon they could do with a clean, new crystals, and probably new straps.

In terms of preserving the authenticity, should I consider a re-lume, or should I leave the ageing lume in place?

I'm guessing the watches aren't particularly valuable, but I'd be interested to get a rough idea of the value (once serviced and cleaned up). In any event I intend to add them to my regularly worn rotation.

There are strap marks on the back of the 1976 CWC from nylon NATO type strap (the leather is none original).
    Timefactors natos are the softest and most comfortable if you need a replacement.
    http://www.timefactors.com/natostraps.htm

The Hamilton doesn't have wear marks, so it would be a shame to scuff it up now.
    A new leather strap on the Hamilton would give you two very different looks for each watch when you wear them in rotation.
    You are going to need an open ended Bund, or Aviator strap around 18-19mm wide.
    http://www.timefactors.com/tfstraps.htm

PS - leave the lume alone.
    Once it's gone it's gone forever, and the watch is none original.
    If you need lume, by a new one.
    Same with the acrylic glass. The scratches might polish out, allowing you to keep it 100% original.

They both look good just as they are.
    Last edited by Reeny; 31st July 2014 at 12:09. Reason: Lume

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    There are strap marks on the back of the 1976 CWC from nylon NATO type strap (the leather is none original).
    Timefactors natos are the softest and most comfortable if you need a replacement.
    http://www.timefactors.com/natostraps.htm

The Hamilton doesn't have wear marks, so it would be a shame to scuff it up now.
    A new leather strap on the Hamilton would give you two very different looks for each watch when you wear them in rotation.
    You are going to need an open ended Bund, or Aviator strap around 18-19mm wide.
    http://www.timefactors.com/tfstraps.htm

PS - leave the lume alone.
    Once it's gone it's gone forever, and the watch is none original.
    If you need lume, by a new one.
    Same with the acrylic glass. The scratches might polish out, allowing you to keep it 100% original.

They both look good just as they are.
    Thanks for the feedback.

I've spoken to another family member who is interested in one of the watches and I would feel bad keeping two very similar (visually) pieces. With this in mind, which would be the most sensible "keeper"? Both seem to have a relatively rich history/heritage...

agree, i wouldn't get them relumed or even have the crystal replaced. keep whichever you prefer - i would go for the hamilton myself. thanks for posting.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

As has been said, do the minimum. A service, clean and crystal polish only. The CWC is an army watch whereas the Hamilton is RAF - don't know whether that helps you to choose which to keep. In spite of this I'd have the Hamilton though I'm not sure why, given that it's ex-Crab Air.

Edit: You'll be fine with Steve Burrage at Rytetime.

Craftsman
    The Hamilton Geneve should have a Hamilton 649 17J movement which is basically the same movement as the ETA 2750 except for
    the signature on the bridge.

CWC's are more common, around 23,000 were issued between 1976 and 1980, most of them W10's for the Army. The Hamilton Geneve
    was issued in 1974 and 1975 to the RAF and in a smaller batch to the RN, in all about 4,000 Hamilton Geneve's were issued.

As previous posters have advised go for a service and minimum restoration. The case should not be buffed or polished otherwise the mat/brushed
    finish will be lost. The crystal will come up with a polish, try brasso or polywatch yourself. If you replace the crystal you will lose the mat finished
    reflector ring and end up with a shiny reflector ring which detracts from the original specification.

I'd go for the Hamilton Geneve given a choice.

Terry

Thanks for the information and advice.

Anybody know what the original strap on the Hamilton would have looked like? In order to keep the look as original as possible I'd like to try and match the aesthetics. As mentioned earlier in the thread it doesn't look like it was put on a NATO?

Nice watches!