closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Acceptable starting offer to a dealer (non watch)

Acceptable starting offer to a dealer (non watch)

I've seen a BMW F650 I'd like to buy and the price is £2875.
    Is £2500 an acceptable offer to make (with a view to paying £2600 cash). 10% off would be £2587. It's a while since I've bought a vehicle and not traded in.

I know it depends how much they have in the bike. He told me it was a trade in against a new bike so I'd guess they gave less than £2000 for it.

Master
    In the current market you could start at £2000! Cash buyers are hard to find.

Banned
    There's a lot of F650's about between £2k and £3k, which they'll know.

Don't be shy and let them know you'll walk away.

Oh and watch out for ex-plod bikes. Irrespective of being well looked after, they're hammered.

There's this one close by and a private seller close by too. I've been to see both and prefer the dealer bike but it is more expensive. The private seller has his on EBay and there are 3 bids but I'm the only person to look at it. He's away at the weekend and the auction finishes on Sunday!
    He's after £2500 I can't imagine anyone daft enough to bid near that without seeing it. I'd say closer to £2300.
    If the dealer plays silly buggers I'm going after the private seller bike.

Craftsman
    When dealing with dealers play them at their own game. They don't get embarrassed by offering low balls for trade ins. I work by the rule with buying cars, houses, bikes etc " if your first offer does not embarrass you, you have not bid low enough "
    It honestly works a lot of the time. If you go too high you can't back down but you can always up the offer. The shout for £2000 is a good one and look to pay £2,250/2,300. Also I imagine unless it is something special he needs you more than you need him.
    The worst that can happen is they say no.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

Paddy.
    Last edited by PADDYS; 31st July 2014 at 19:38.

You can't negotiate downwards. So start low and see where you end up!

Craftsman
    They have to sell you don't have to buy. Go in low you can't afford to be soft with these people.

Master
    Go in low and go in hard. As others have said, the dealer won't be offended... IMHO bike delaers have skin as thick as a Rhino and as others have said you can always negotiate upwards from your offer, but not downwards. Also he will almost certainly not have given more than £1800 in trade so even if you pay £2300 for the bike he's still made a decent profit. If you let him beat you up to £2200 to £2300 from £2K make sure you get a new MOT and a bloody good warranty out of it.

Rob

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Barryboy;3215581]Go in low and go in hard. As others have said, the dealer won't be offended... IMHO bike delaers have skin as thick as a Rhino and as others have said you can always negotiate upwards from your offer, but not downwards. Also he will almost certainly not have given more than £1800 in trade so even if you pay £2300 for the bike he's still made a decent profit. If you let him beat you up to £2200 to £2300 from £2K make sure you get a new MOT and a bloody good warranty out of it.

Rob[/QUOTE

What he said!

Craftsman
    For an F650 I'd start at 2k. Make them aware you're a. A cash buyer and b. Got another bike as a fall back.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    For an F650 I'd start at 2k. Make them aware you're a. A cash buyer and b. Got another bike as a fall back.
    All good advice.

Have a top price you are prepared to pay and don't move on it.

Offer significantly less in the first instance and see how far the salesman is prepared to go.

There will always be another one for sale.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by PADDYS View Post
    When dealing with dealers play them at their own game. They don't get embarrassed by offering low balls for trade ins. I work by the rule with buying cars, houses, bikes etc " if your first offer does not embarrass you, you have not bid low enough "

Paddy.
    Ive not thought of it that way before, good advice. Im going to use it in my forthcoming boat pursuit.

steve

Well thanks for all the advice. I'm now the proud owner of a BMW F650GS (or I will be tomorrow when I've payed for it).

You have got to give us a clue as to the saving achieved !

Master
    I should have added that at the end of the month (particularly the last day) all salesmen are usually desperate to meet their monthly quota or target and that's when the best deals are done..

Up for £2850, I offered £2000 and we settled below £2500

Journeyman
    I'd recommend that you do exactly what he would do to you; take the piss.
    Start at £1900.

Now with money you saved go out and buy a Scott oiler, it'll save you a fortune in new chains.