closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets talk about / see your boats

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hellominky View Post
    Just spoke to really nice boat surveyor who lives nearby. Only 210 quid for peace of mind. Good advice, thanks.
    Great plan & could save you a fortune.

Might still be worth having the engine checked separately by a marine engineer as most surveys I've had done didn't really go into much detail on the engine side, more of a description & its seems alright but can't say much more without a sea trial etc, etc. Just my past experiences though...

If by chance your local surveyors initials are A.S then you won't go far wrong.

Good luck.

Master
    This is my Dad's old boat:

She's a 26' Westerly and has recently been upgraded to one of these:

A 30' Seadog ketch.

As eveyone had pointed out it's not a 'cheap' hobby but I think the time element is almost important. Luckily Dad is very handy in terms of being able to maintain them himself. He's also retired and so has plenty of time to do so. Even so I'd think he's get as much sailing in as he'd like. Mainly due to bad weather :-(

I should also point out that a day out sailing/fishing on a bright sunny day is very special so if you have the time then go for it!

Just got off the phone to a chap about a boat.

This one here

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...024851&alt=web

The listing has ended and the guy needs to sell so happy days. Looks like it needs some work but nothing too dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by GRK View Post
    Up here in Scotland the west coast is an amazing place to go sailing...
    Can't disagree with that, well I could as I have a pathological fear of the water, but my Brother and a good mate have boats and I've started going out with them occasionally on Loch Sween. This is my Brother's, can't for the life of me remember what kind it is, but it has a 70hp Yamaha two stroke and can do 30-35 knots; great fun as it's very light and agile, but not quite up to a trip through the Corryvrecken on a slightly windy day! He's very recently rebuilt the engine after it spun the centre crank bearing; despite doing most of the work himself, it was over a grand.

Just got off the phone to a chap about a boat.

This one here

The listing has ended and the guy needs to sell so happy days. Looks like it needs some work but nothing too dramatic.

Now I likes that a lot, Looks VERY tidy, I suppose you have heard of Osmosis ??? Just thought I would ask as some people think Fibre glass is faultless.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman307 View Post
    Now I likes that a lot, Looks VERY tidy, I suppose you have heard of Osmosis ??? Just thought I would ask as some people think Fibre glass is faultless.
    Yeah I asked and he said it was fine. I'll have a good look and get the surveyor round as well. Thanks for thinking of it though.

Steve

No prob, It looks super tidy, Ford cross flow engine I would say so no real probs there.

Right a bit of an update. Went to see this last night

Really in 2 minds. Its a 24' boat built mid 80s, with a 90hp engine. In its day looks like it would have been top spec. Its on blocks and hasn't been used for about 3 years. Its big. And it's musty and on land. And those are my concerns. My wife surprisingly is really up for it as she can see the potential. I'm worried that its too big for me. I'm sure we will grow into it and it will have incredible potential but I'm looking to cut my teeth in the harbour, not the deep sea yet. It needs tidying up, a service and replacement gas and water pipes etc for my peace of mind and a damn good clean. I think I could have it out the water over the winter and as it is such a bargain I would have the funds to make it really nice. But its on blocks and although my spider sense tells me there will be no problems with it that unsettles me. The seller has just agreed a sale on his house, I checked the price and it was 5 million quid, so I'm happy he's not cut corners. I'm just not sure at the moment.

I'm going to see this on Saturday
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parkstone-...-/331286173179

Really nice old boy, regularly serviced and comes in the water. Its double the price however and is smaller.

Decisions, decisions.

Steve

Right a bit of an update. Went to see this last night

Really in 2 minds. Its a 24' boat built mid 80s, with a 90hp engine. In its day looks like it would have been top spec. Its on blocks and hasn't been used for about 3 years. Its big. And it's musty and on land. And those are my concerns. My wife surprisingly is really up for it as she can see the potential. I'm worried that its too big for me. I'm sure we will grow into it and it will have incredible potential but I'm looking to cut my teeth in the harbour, not the deep sea yet. It needs tidying up, a service and replacement gas and water pipes etc for my peace of mind and a damn good clean. I think I could have it out the water over the winter and as it is such a bargain I would have the funds to make it really nice. But its on blocks and although my spider sense tells me there will be no problems with it that unsettles me. The seller has just agreed a sale on his house, I checked the price and it was 5 million quid, so I'm happy he's not cut corners. I'm just not sure at the moment.

I'm going to see this on Saturday
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parkstone-...-/331286173179

Really nice old boy, regularly serviced and comes in the water. Its double the price however and is smaller.

Decisions, decisions.

Steve
    First one seems to have gone. The second comes with a walk on pontoon mooring until March 2015. That's worth a few bob if it's in Poole.

Changing the subject, here's a photo of mine, sold a few years back to finance something the wife thought she needed. I do miss her.

The only time to boat, Norfolk Broads winter fishing in my old Dell Quay Dory biggest expense a new 20hp Honda only other thing required is a good working knowledge of fibreglass.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    First one seems to have gone. The second comes with a walk on pontoon mooring until March 2015. That's worth a few bob if it's in Poole.
    The first one is still available, its just that the listing ended, hence there is room for movement on the price.

Very nice boat you had. Impressive.

Steve

Depending on how long you intend to stay on board I thought the first was a cracker, Just that bit more room, And a real good starter in my opinion, I wouldn't think the fact that it has been out of water for a while will have done any harm, Surely a survey or some professional advise would not be too expensive, The second boat is tidy but seems very dated and always will be, The first has nice modern lines, and it seems a superb price really,
    Just having a good look at posting for first boat, The first picture of the full boat looking from the front is the white painted marker line round the hull pressed in a little where the front N/S prop supports the hull,???? It just looks as though the support is pressing the hull in a little But it's a small photo and maybe just me, Worth looking though, Have you no one who has a bit of experience to look and advise anything for you ?? But at 3.5 G it is not the end of the world, I do like the boat.
    Last edited by fishman307; 15th August 2014 at 14:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    Changing the subject, here's a photo of mine, sold a few years back to finance something the wife thought she needed. I do miss her.
    Is that the boat or the wife you're missing?

Quote Originally Posted by paul.in.kendal View Post
    Must be the wife because you would never sell a boat as nice as that to fund a woman's whim?

Depending on how long you intend to stay on board I thought the first was a cracker, Just that bit more room, And a real good starter in my opinion, I wouldn't think the fact that it has been out of water for a while will have done any harm, Surely a survey or some professional advise would not be too expensive, The second boat is tidy but seems very dated and always will be, The first has nice modern lines, and it seems a superb price really,
    Just having a good look at posting for first boat, The first picture of the full boat looking from the front is the white painted marker line round the hull pressed in a little where the front N/S prop supports the hull,???? It just looks as though the support is pressing the hull in a little But it's a small photo and maybe just me, Worth looking though, Have you no one who has a bit of experience to look and advise anything for you ?? But at 3.5 G it is not the end of the world, I do like the boat.
    Thanks that's good advice. I have a boat surveyor on standby and the more I reflect the more I agree that the first just has a lot more potential and the space would be invaluable. Faint heart never won and all that! I noticed the hull depression last night and made a note to tell the surveyor to check it over.

Cool, just organised the boat surveyor. 240 all in, which seems good.

I think the boat is a cracker, BUT my decision to buy would have a lot to do with total price, I think it is amazing value and rather than suggest anything wrong with it I think you have just found a good bargain, However my only reservation would be the PRICE of a survey, This could poss ??? Push the total price into an area of a lot more choice of other boats (though fees would have to add to those) If survey is mates rates! Or not too prohibitive go for it mate, I think you have chosen well but the figures must add up, Hence me saying a mates advice Or poss someone from your intended berth ?? Yard ?? Maybe not in writing but just an experienced opinion would keep its price a great bargain. Is there any paperwork giving name of repairers Etc you could maybe ring and chat to.?

Another one I drive for work - Queen of the Lake, at Wray Castle boathouse. Both Queen and Sunflower are on the National Historic Ships register.
    Is Bob still floating around in his steam launches..? I was a student at Wray Castle once - I understand they do radio licensing now, but from an office in "town"?

I think the boat is a cracker, BUT my decision to buy would have a lot to do with total price, I think it is amazing value and rather than suggest anything wrong with it I think you have just found a good bargain, However my only reservation would be the PRICE of a survey, This could poss ??? Push the total price into an area of a lot more choice of other boats (though fees would have to add to those) If survey is mates rates! Or not too prohibitive go for it mate, I think you have chosen well but the figures must add up, Hence me saying a mates advice Or poss someone from your intended berth ?? Yard ?? Maybe not in writing but just an experienced opinion would keep its price a great bargain. Is there any paperwork giving name of repairers Etc you could maybe ring and chat to.?
    The survey is 240 and I'm happy with that as the guy seems very switched on. I think I can get the boat for around 3k as the seller is waiting to move house and needs it gone so I should get the money for the survey back in a roundabout way. Thanks for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Is Bob still floating around in his steam launches..? I was a student at Wray Castle once - I understand they do radio licensing now, but from an office in "town"?
    Ah, I tend to know the boats by name, rather than the owners! The only steam launch owner I do know by name is Roger Mallinson, on Shamrock. As for radio licensing, I dunno. I took my VHF course with a Lake Warden. Wray is now run by the National Trust as a visitor attraction. Still got got remnants of its time as a college, though.

There was a steam regatta on the lake yesterday. No pictures of that, but here are some from last year:

Ah, Roger - that was his name! He had two boats when I knew him... one in the castle boathouse and one in another just a little further down.

I remember the Shamrock - and its mental steam kettle especially!

He struck me as pretty old 30 years ago... he must be ancient by now! He was always an odd bird, but fun with it :)

Steam kettle still going strong!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackwibble View Post
    Must be the wife because you would never sell a boat as nice as that to fund a woman's whim?
    You wouldn't miss a missus too much with a boat as nice as that!

I live on the IOM, so am in the market for a little day-fisher/something to mess about with in the bay on the 1.2 days a year when it isn't blowing a force 8. Thinking of getting a warrior or similar.

Master
    Anyone else a little disappointed with this thread?

I was hoping to see a few "super yachts"!