closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Daytona

Vintage Daytona

Got interested in these after watching one of the Hoodinkee videos. This looks lovely...

http://www.watchclub.com/w7114/rolex...age-black-dial

but I wouldn't have the confidence to spend this sort of money on a vintage watch without some advice. Where would you go for guidance with something like this?

Master
    Try VRF the vintage rolex forum, could be a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Got interested in these after watching one of the Hoodinkee videos. This looks lovely...

http://www.watchclub.com/w7114/rolex...age-black-dial

but I wouldn't have the confidence to spend this sort of money on a vintage watch without some advice. Where would you go for guidance with something like this?
    Mike Wood is your man.

The guys on the VRF would be my bet, and they certainly don't hold back when asked for an opinion :)

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The guys on the VRF would be my bet, and they certainly don't hold back when asked for an opinion :)
    +1 - personally I prefer the black sub dials - also slightly less costly though obviously not as rare. It's a big lump o'wedge, I am sure the VRF
    guys will give the advertised watch a good "frisking". Not my watch below by the way, lifted from an ad from 2013 €23800 - rare enough!

They're always too expensive of course, and I suspect that would be the main conclusion at the vintage Rolex forum. I've never met anyone who knew what they were talking about who didn't think dealer prices are too expensive! The proble is finfing an alternative. Black face is my preference, but purely a matter of personal taste.

Just to say that ad was on VRM in 2013.....not so far away from the watchclub price which
    surprised me. You could try a WTB on VRM and see what comes out of the woodwork!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakadu View Post
    +1 - personally I prefer the black sub dials - also slightly less costly though obviously not as rare. It's a big lump o'wedge, I am sure the VRF
    guys will give the advertised watch a good "frisking". Not my watch below by the way, lifted from an ad from 2013 €23800 - rare enough!

Saw this in the flesh when I met up with one of our forum guys and I must say that it's a lot nicer in real life.

I don't know enough about vintage to justify spending money on it but it definitely is a grail.

Love it!

Alas, I believe the both watches (the one on the link and the one depicted above) have service replacement dials. The one on The Watch Club was for sale at over £25k...which is daylight robbery for a service replacement dial.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Alas, I believe the both watches (the one on the link and the one depicted above) have service replacement dials. The one on The Watch Club was for sale at over £25k...which is daylight robbery for a service replacement dial.
    I'll say - few watches have intrinsic value (finishing, movement, function, capability, design...) more at odds with the stupid pricing they command. Valjoux 72 movement, outsourced and found in everything from Heuers to Abercrombie & Fitch private-label watches of the 1960s. I mean, lovely, classically good-looking design, but £20,000?+ And people think Bremont is overpriced!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I'll say - few watches have intrinsic value (finishing, movement, function, capability, design...) more at odds with the stupid pricing they command. Valjoux 72 movement, outsourced and found in everything from Heuers to Abercrombie & Fitch private-label watches of the 1960s. I mean, lovely, classically good-looking design, but £20,000?+ And people think Bremont is overpriced!
    An all original 6263 is worth every penny of the £20k+ price tag, in my opinion.

Oh well, it's sold...and not to me!

How can you tell it was a replacement dial?

Sorry about that OP! A better one might appear.
    Yes - be interesting to know reasons why a service dial....on both watches.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    An all original 6263 is worth every penny of the £20k+ price tag, in my opinion.
    Fair enough, but that's the thing about opinions; and some are more acceptable on tz-uk than others ;).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post

How can you tell it was a replacement dial?
    The font of the 'Daytona' inscription. Service dials have small red Daytona. Compare the ones above with the 'Big Red' original dials below.

I can see that. Wouldn't have had a clue. Wonder why they don't just make it the same size? Can't be hard, surely.

thanks for that and the pics, I agree the watchclub offering appears to not have the "big red" font,...however the one I lifted from a VRM
    advert from 2013 did not mention a re-dial and wasn't picked up by the mods or the members...who
    usually are forthright about pointing these things out. Maybe I was putting too much emphasis on the flat top "A" - Oh well.
    Just for info here's doublered's spin on it.
    http://www.doubleredseadweller.com/w...replaceme.html

Heads up OP - Just saw this on VRM......looks interesting...no real comments there except one about the screw
    to the left of the movement as you look at it near the case......ends in an hour or so...a gold one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331266897572

Quote Originally Posted by Kakadu View Post
    thanks for that and the pics, I agree the watchclub offering appears to not have the "big red" font,...however the one I lifted from a VRM
    advert from 2013 did not mention a re-dial and wasn't picked up by the mods or the members...who
    usually are forthright about pointing these things out. Maybe I was putting too much emphasis on the flat top "A" - Oh well.
    Just for info here's doublered's spin on it.
    http://www.doubleredseadweller.com/w...replaceme.html

I'm a bit confused by that. Is he saying all of those are original? the bottom one looks to be smaller font.

Yes - I thought that as well....the white dial in the doublered article does seem to be different than the black - vintage world is confusing sometimes.