closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Old Watch Shop (Mike Wood)

Master

The Old Watch Shop (Mike Wood)

I don't start many new posts, but felt moved to do so after dropping in The Old Watch Shop in Southport on Saturday. I'd met Mike at a few GTGs in the past, but I knew he wouldn't remember and I didn't namedrop or anything to get special attention. Though later in the afternoon it was apparent we'd met quite a few of the same folk in watch-world!

I'd seen a 1969 Speedy in the window and dropped in to have a closer look. Before I knew it we were talking Subs and SDs, something I know a bit more about, and he whipped out an impressive collection of Tudor Subs to have a look at. Other customers came and went, the phone kept ringing, Mike was carrying out a valuation on a watch, fitting a lipstick red leather one to another and yet still I was made to feel completely at ease in the shop. No pressure to buy, though some of the watches keep calling back to me, but when the shop had a few more people in who were more likely to spend money that day I made my excuses and left.

I know Mike has a great reputation, but like Neil at Chronomaster he's an enthusiast as happy to share his knowledge and stories of watches and collecting as he is to sell a watch. People with passion about their product sell stuff. (That almost reads like I nicked that phrase but it poured onto the keyboard unprompted).

Oh, and the new blue Black Bays look mighty impressive - Mike has two in the window! He said they're priced at what they're likely to retail at come September, but he suggested that the eventual retail price might be somewhat higher before long. Rumours of a Tudor price rise amidst the Rolex speculation? Whatever next...

Ant

Grand Master
    How much was the 69 SPeedy as its not listed a price on his site?
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    How much was the 69 SPeedy as its not listed a price on his site?
    £4200. A stunning watch, but more than I'd personally pay for a Speedy. No particular reason why, but my more regular/modern versions have been less than half this. Though I would like to try a more classic stepped dial someday...

Ant

Master
    I went to the Cheshire classic car show last Sunday... And whilst admiring a lovely Jag Mk11, I noticed the owner had a very nice IWC big pilot on his wrist.....
    Talk turned to watches, and it turned out this chap had quite a collection..... The old watch shop came into the discussion, in a very positive way.....:-) definitely one of the good guys.

I bought my Sub from Mike a few years ago. Didn't meet him in person as it was all conducted over the phone but a good guy!

Think he's on this forum.

Mr W is a true gent and passionate collector / seller.

Craftsman

Great guy! I spent an afternoon in the shop getting a guided tour through some of his collection. I came out astonished after seeing Rolex and Patek watches I thought I'd never see in real life. Amazing and a real pleasure to listen to Mike's stories about where he'd picked some of these great watches up. I left with my first vintage model, my 5513 which I love and had a great afternoon of watch chat.

Grand Master
    I bought an 18ct pie-pan Constellation from Mike a few years ago, an excellent example for a fair price. My initial offer on the watch was refused, but it's the most polite refusal I`ve ever experienced!

A true gent, one of the good guys,

Paul