closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Swatch/ Omega UK: an eye opening visit to their service centre

Master

Swatch/ Omega UK: an eye opening visit to their service centre

Evening all

As some people will remember a few months ago I ‘blew my stack’ about the swatch groups decision to change the way their Service Centre’s worked in the UK and as a result this lead to me being unable to use STS to service my Megaquartz and early quartz Omegas, which ultimately left me with no option as Omega and even Bienne no longer cater for these.

After post after post someone recommended I contact swatch UK’s Head of Customer Service; James Avery. I was somewhat skeptical about this as my only experiences of Swatch group over the years have been very poor, including a bad experience the one and only time I had used Bienne, which saw my big blue going back twice and taking six months to get right. Non-the less I contacted James (I must admit not expecting a great deal) but to my pleasant surprise James responded assuring me he would handle the matter personally and do his upmost to support me and other collectors who had been put out by the groups decision.

After a few weeks I got a response from James which was not only supportive but resolved my issues completely in that Swatch would allow the continuation of the servicing of these ‘category 4’ watches and specifically my Megaquartz Marine Chronometers and calibre 1510 Stardusts through STS’s sister company Swiss Tec. At the same time James invited me to Swatch UK service centre in Southampton for a guided tour of their facilities and on behalf of the collectors community talk me through the logics of some of Swatch’s recent decisions around their service network and supply of spare parts.

I broke up from work for a few weeks last Friday so the first thing I did was take them up on the opportunity.

After 3 ½ hours on the M25 and an enjoyable 15 mile traffic jam (a journey that should have taken 2 all in) I arrived at their very unassuming and understated head quarters on the outskirts of Southampton, James had warned me in advance that they were in the midst of spending a not inconsiderable hundreds of thousands refurbishing but I was amazed at the level of detail work and quality of the building works underway. I was greeted by a reception area, which resembled an Omega boutique and personally greeted by James service centre manager who took me up to James office.

James and I had a very honest conversation about some of the swatch groups logic, James was really open about the challenges some of these decisions had presented in terms of the collectors community who favored owning old and obsolete Omegas but counteracted this by explaining that their plan was to expand the UK service network but only supply parts to those establishments which met the same stringent standards that swatch group does, I do understand this logic from a corporate point of view to enable them to maintain standards.

James also wanted to assure me that times had changed in terms of their service of the vintage cals they still catered for at Bienne so I agreed to try this out with one of my 321 Speedies and send one to Bienne, but more about this later.

I guess time will tell dependent on how the main swatch group chose to price their spares over the next few years, which could ultimately see service prices rocket if spares prices continue to increase at the rate they have (example being a bracelet interlink that was £1.50 two years ago is now £9.90). All of this aside James was really open about the groups thinking and assured me that in no way did they want to alienate the collectors community or owners of vintage watches through this decision, that said he made no bones that it had caused huge ructions with non accredited centres and I guess the cost of becoming an accredited centre in terms of tooling and equipment could be huge???

For me their compromise in terms of my megaquartz and Swisstec is proof of them putting their money where their mouth is. I was really honest with James about my and other collectors dissatisfaction with some of the decision making and their strategies, including the boutiques and my dissatisfaction with the level of service from boutiques, again he said he would feed this back and take it to the next UK board meeting.

Anyway, after a long chat I was afforded a tour of their workshops (which I don’t believe many people ever have been) what I saw was very impressive, although they only cater for modern pieces (and relatively modern) their set up was very impressive, state of the art machinery and equipment mixed with an almost boutique feel and air of cleanliness and professionalism. Unfortunately I couldn’t take pics because the work was only half complete but I am planning on going back in the autumn and getting some snaps to share with the community. Finally before I left I saw their ‘elite department’ where they cater for Blancpain and Breguet etc, not only did I get to handle a couple of watches which retail the same price as a good family home but also enjoy seeing one disassembled and examine a flying tourbillion through their electronic microscopes.

All in it was a eye opener, it also allowed me to understand more about their thinking in terms of service centre network as well as seeing their new facilities. I don't completely agree with some of the decision making at Swatch and Omega at the moment but it was refreshing for me that their Head of UK customer service took the time to meet me in person and talk to me about my issues and gave me so much of his day to hear my issues and show me their customer services and after sales support, he allowed me to air my opinions and also gave me the opinions of Swatch worldwide as well as Swatch UK, which gave a much clearer context as to what they are striving to achieve.

I have long accepted the servicing costs at Omega, I choose to use Omega and Omega accredited for a lot of my work (with the exception of some of my F300 and non 2.4 MQ series, for which I use fellow forum members).

My 105003-65 is now in their service network winging its way to Bienne, I’ve asked for it to look factory fresh but retain the original dial, hands, bezel and bracelet (even the N6 ends) case, case back etc etc (so not too demanding) so watch this space for a pictorial update. Aparrently they now update you at every stage of the repair, I thought this was too good to be true but got home tonight to an email from them with the logging instructions, job number and telling me the watch was being process for dispatch! Impressive.

Sorry there aren’t any pics but hopefully they will follow next time I go, although my worries are not allayed in terms of the future of servicing vintage Omegas which fall outside of Cat 4, nor the cost and supply of spares, it was refreshing that I had the opportunity to air these concerns with someone in a position to make a difference and that they were prepared to give one private customer and collector so much of their time.

Cheers Tom
    Last edited by dickstar1977; 30th July 2014 at 09:22.

Sorry, but they don't want to alienate the collectors?

If I send a very simple Megaquartz 1310 to swatch, they'll charge me 1000 € plus parts.
    That's no reasonable price, it is being ripped of. The price is purely based on the fact the watches are Veblen goods and Omega is trying to pump up their price level and become the next Rolex.

Further, they are killing off the regular watchmakers, who have studied but aren't big enough to be able to follow swatch doctrine in every form and hence won't get parts.

Frankly, I am disgusted by them.

Master
    Hi Bernard

I completely agree in terms of costs of some Omega services being prohibitive, I personally don't use Omega to service my 1310 or F300 range as their servicing prices are often far higher than the value of the watch, for pieces like this I use good independent. For watches like my MQ2.4Mhz I accept the price is the price and £750+ is not unusual, for my Speedmasters I use only Omega and again accept that a £400+ bill is likely.

I was the first to jump in and say I wasn't happy with their direction of travel with things like boutiques and their spares pricing and I told James that very honestly yesterday, ultimately instead of moaning on the forums (like moaning about a meal after you have left the restaurant) I had it out honestly and openly with the right person, their Head of UK customer service. Their movement regarding servicing the pieces that fall beyond cat 4 and Omega no longer touch was a move in the right direction for me.

I don't think anyone is in doubt they are chasing Rolex's tail, I am in two minds regarding their spares, the prices have inflated excessively over the last two years, I can't say I am happy they will no longer supply people like Cousins and allow them to sell them on but I also get their logic and although it causes issues for small independents who work on Omegas at least this way they will have a lot better control of the quality of the work being done on their products.
    Last edited by dickstar1977; 30th July 2014 at 09:24.

Quote Originally Posted by dickstar1977 View Post
    Hi Bernard

I completely agree in terms of costs, I personally don't use Omega to service my 1310 or F300 range as their servicing prices are often far higher than the value of the watch, for pieces like this I use good independent. For watches like my MQ2.4Mhz I accept the price is the price and £750+ is not unusual, for my Speedmasters I use only Omega and again accept that a £400+ bill is likely.

I was the first to jump in and say I wasn't happy with their direction of travel with things like boutiques and their spares pricing and I told James that very honestly yesterday, ultimately instead of moaning on the forums (like moaning about a meal after you have left the restaurant) I had it out honestly and openly with the right person, their Head of UK customer service. Their movement regarding servicing the pieces that fall beyond cat 4 and Omega no longer touch was a move in the right direction for me.

I don't think anyone is in doubt they are chasing Rolex's tail, I am in two minds regarding their spares, the prices have inflated excessively over the last two years, I can't say I am happy they will no longer supply people like Cousins and allow them to sell them on but I also get their logic, although it isn't consumer focused.
    They are Swiss, so they get away with their monopolization of watchmaking - for now!

The thing that really makes me smile is realising the big hit companies like Swatch are going to take when 3d printing advances further. Cheap as chips parts. They have it coming.
    Only problem: will there still be watchmakers at that time?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    They are Swiss, so they get away with their monopolization of watchmaking - for now!

The thing that really makes me smile is realising the big hit companies like Swatch are going to take when 3d printing advances further. Cheap as chips parts. They have it coming.
    Only problem: will there still be watchmakers at that time?
    Absolutely and I think that there will still be watch makers about but I think that a great many watches (sadly) will be lost in the meantime to sacrifice their movements for spares, we all know how many really nice Omega Constellations, De-villes and Geneves have been murdered to either be used for spares of cased up as SM300's!

thanks for that write up, will check back for the pics.

Thanks for the work you have put in on this as the Stardust is on my list of watches to buy.

Interesting and useful report thank you. My own experience of using Omega service for vintage was not good. I sent an old DeVille for maintenance, to Bienne via a Tokyo Omega boutique. The watch was returned with a non-correct ( but Omega, obviously ) crown and the previously beautiful dial was scratched. This simple service cost me $650 and ruined a watch I had owned for decades. That was the end of my Omega interest.

Master
    Thanks chaps

I have owned quite a few vintages speedies over the years, the watch I've sent is a completley original and I believe never restored 105003-65, it's had a hard life but retains all the original parts, I've asked them to factory refinish the watch but retain the dial, hands, bezel (unless they have a NOS dot above 90 knocking around!!) so will wait and see what the end result is

It's nice that they now employ the tracking system so I can check progress and I'm looking forward to seeing the results the factory can achieve

Cheers Tom
    Last edited by dickstar1977; 29th July 2014 at 23:58.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for this very interesting write up.

Banned
    Sounds like an interesting trip, I'd really like to visit the Breitling refinishing dept.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Omega is trying to pump up their price level and become the next Rolex.
    They have a long way to go to match Rolex on service.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post

Yes....
    I have had a NEW Omega quartz, an ultrathin. Bought from the dealer, who gave me a very good price. Dead on arrival.
    Took Omega 4 or 5 go's before I had it back running...
    The dealer has truly been harassing Omega about it and tried to speed things up. However, it took 6 weeks at least per try...

Am I the only one who thinks it's pretty amazing for a head manager at Swatch to offer their time up and extend a tour to a concerned collector, and by extension the collecting community?

Nobody seems have commented as much thus far anyway!

Whatever some may think of Swatch's corporate decisions, it's seems they can never do any right. I know I'll likely get lambasted as a Swatch defender but perpetual moaning about these issues is a bit draining when their current strategy has been made.

I wouldn't have thought this would so quickly turn into a downer of a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks it's pretty amazing for a head manager at Swatch to offer their time up and extend a tour to a concerned collector, and by extension the collecting community?

Whatever some may think of Swatch's corporate decisions, it's seems they can never do any right. I know I'll likely get lambasted as a Swatch defender but perpetual moaning about these issues is a bit draining when their current strategy has been made.

It is good communication and a way to try and connect to the community.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post

Which was kind of my original point, I was a real sceptic about swatch's support of my issues after some previous bad experiences (especially before 2011), I had a bad experience with Bienne which was compounded by terrible communication from both Switzerland and the local customer service. I must admit since James has picked this up for me he has kept his word, not only did he help find a solution to my problem with the watches that fall outside of cat 4 but he gave up virtually an entire day to see me, he talked me through their strategies and their aspirations and then I got what can only be described as a VIP tour of their facilities. I've got an open invite to go back when the work is complete, which I will take them up on and I genuinely feel that there is someone in a senior position at Swatch UK who is doing their best to support collectors.

I would still love for there to be the Omega endorsed vintage option in the UK without some of my rarer pieces having to go to Bienne, however I may well be a convert when the Speedy returns from it's Swiss spa vacation, at the moment I have options, which is the important thing and I was filled with a lot more confidence about their customer service and after sales care after the trip to Southampton and since James contact me.
    Last edited by dickstar1977; 30th July 2014 at 09:29.

Master
    I dunno there have been a few complaints recently - RobDad's 3 trips for the crown issue on his Sub as an example...

Master
    Ive always accepted that everyone from the small independant to the largest and most prestious servicd centres make mistakes, its the human element! For me its not about making the mistake its the speed and efficency of the correction and the communication that makes all the difference!

- - - Updated - - -

Ive always accepted that everyone from the small independant to the largest and most prestious servicd centres make mistakes, its the human element! For me its not about making the mistake its the speed and efficency of the correction and the communication that makes all the difference!

Grand Master
    Mistakes arise when people are either rushing or poorly motivated (ie don`t give a shit whether it's right or wrong). The devil's in the detail with watch work and they can be unforgiving beasts.

I strongly prefer one man to do the whole job (case, movement, refinish etc). and for that reason I`d always favour an independent.

Paul

Master
    ^^^^This^^^^
    One chance, and one chance only!

Master
    Not convinced on that. Having had both My Rolex and my Omega serviced within the last 12 months I think that they are on a par with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Mistakes arise when people are either rushing or poorly motivated (ie don`t give a shit whether it's right or wrong). The devil's in the detail with watch work and they can be unforgiving beasts. I strongly prefer one man to do the whole job (case, movement, refinish etc). and for that reason I`d always favour an independent. Paul
    Hi Paul,

Not sure I entirely agree... Shock horror :-) I think somebody who does something specific over a period of time and is able to gain experience becomes very good at a particular task. I think it is the same for watchmakers and polishers. I know some exceptional watchmakers who do not refinish a case as well as they service a movement and of course vice versa. I personally think you lose something, these big watch houses employ professional polishers and train them to do this specific task. I guess it's like a car, the mechanic is not necessarily the person who does the body work and re spray. I am sure they can of course, but the finish of a professional takes some time to master. For me I don't want someone who is mediocre at these things, I want professionals who are exceptional at what they do and a finish to boot... No pun intended I do agree though, the devil is indeed in the detail and watches can be unforgiving.

Master
    I think that it boils down to preference but IMHO I have used STS and Swisstec predominantly to service my watches, whilst I accept that it isn't one single watch maker who does everything I also know it is one single watch maker who oversee's my repair, yes a specialist manages the case restoration etc but surely thats not a bad thing? From what I saw at Swatch UK it seems to be the same set up and I know Bienne employ the same process. Your watch is in the hands (for the most part) of one person but others (particularly cases) do specialist work

Great write-up of an interesting experience. These sort of insider insights are always informative, whether you agree with the sentiments or not.

Thanks for the write-up Tom, sounds like you had a very interesting day.

Encouraging that they're prepared to acknowledge - and perhaps even listen - to the collector community at least.

It still makes my blood boil.
    They say they will only want people of a similar high standard to have a parts account...
    This is rubbish.

Swatch group are dumbing down watchmakers and repairers and the trade at large. They do this by not fault finding and just replacing parts until they solve the issue.
    Every time they do this to a watch they get further away from watchmaking and just on to swap it till it works.

We just took on a new watchmaker from swatchgroup and it has taken us a few months to get him out of the bad habits and back to proper watchmaking.
    This is not a time or cost saving technique for swatchgroup as it will often take longer than working out the true issue quickly. Therefore they only do it due to lack of skill, training and ease. You don't have to think to keep swapping things out.

To get a swatch parts account they care far more about the tools you have and even if you have an equivalent you still have to buy their tool. Actual watchmaking skill is not really tested or taken in to account.

I want to be part of an industry that gives parts based on the quality of work not how expensive the workshop is or how much you are willing to invest in a large parts collection.

Parts for ETA will never be hard to find, but it annoys me that it is so hard to get something simple like a dial or case part, especially when people like cousins run out.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceslug View Post
    Thanks for the write-up Tom, sounds like you had a very interesting day.

Encouraging that they're prepared to acknowledge - and perhaps even listen - to the collector community at least.
    That's positive, now somewhat more realistic pricing given the worth of some vintage pieces....

1 grand for servicing a 1310... eyewatering.

Apprentice
    Hello,

I've just come in on this because I came to the forum to look for recommendations for a good, independent, watchmaker who is sympathetic to modest 1970s Omegas.

I guess, from what I've read here that I won't be going at an AD or a boutique!

Any suggestions for independents? Starting with service of an f300 and a pre-bond SM 200 automatic?

Richard