closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watchfinder - A Rant

I don't think the amount offered is the issue here, all businesses will buy low and sell high. They need to make a profit after all!

It's the unnecessary rudeness if the staff which is potentially damaging to the business.

Banned
    It sounds like their modus operandi is to offer a good price sight unseen to make sure you turn up with the watch for inspection. Then when you turn up the watch is found to be sadly deficient, in need of a service, etc. and they throw you a low ball offer, take it or leave it. I suppose enough people take it to keep their business blooming, they seem to have a ton of staff including a gaggle of watch polishers, etc...

On the surface this seems like a legit way to do business, as long as they are honest about the watches needing service. However, saying that a watch needs a service when in fact it does not seems to amount to fraud, it is at the very least very dishonest. I would get a second opinion.
    Last edited by GrandS; 30th July 2014 at 10:14.

OP, have you written to the Directors to complain? Don't let it slide. :)

Journeyman
    I was tempted to buy off them but this thread has put me right off!

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Is Simon a member here?
    I have no idea. I know he has seen threads on here before but I assumed a link was sent to him.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I shouldn't have read this while drinking coffee - I laughed so much I spat it all over my keyboard.

There is no excuse for poor manners, and if he has such poor interpersonal skills then he should not be customer-facing (irresepective of whether he's buying or selling). I've spent 17 years training people in professional business skills, and frankly Gomers' evaluation seems spot-on.

Simon
    Apologies Simon, send me the bill for a new keyboard by all means.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Literally a couple of hours ago, I was considering taking a watch there for a quote. This story has put me right off.

I have bought from them once and had conversations about sourcing pieces a couple of times - even went to their opening event at Royal Exchange that a few other TZers were at. I recognise this Oliver person from that night.

Hearing stuff like this definitely makes a difference to me though.
    As others have said deal only with Michael, a very nice guy, had a five minute chat over my watch, he agreed to the high end of their watch offer, and another ten over Winston Churchill and his role in WW1 as the topic came up.
    Last edited by aksing; 31st July 2014 at 01:18.

Someone needs to take in a freshly serviced watch to see what's said about the timekeeping...

Banned
    Why did you not challenge him on his abruptness and obvious buying tactiques, they have the buying belief that beggars can't be choosers, trying to corner a customer with draconian simpleton buying tactics.

Next time you go in and get a shite offer, just call him a robbing bastard and accuse him of trying to take the piss, ask him what training he's had on valuing a watch, and don't pull the timekeeping needs a service crock of shite ploy.

If I lived closer I would go in myself and have a pop just for a laugh.

Mind you last time I was in the smoke I walked past it twice without going in I guessed it would be full of chancers.

Watchfinder - A Rant

From my dealings with them, they believe that all mechanical watches are supposed to run within COSC specs whether they are a chronometer or not. In fact the people I dealt with didn't seem to understand what a chronometer was.

It therefore makes sense that they believe most watches need a service.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 31st July 2014 at 06:56. Reason: add

I am on their mailing list but have just unsubscribed as a result of reading this thread and others. I noticed that when unsubscribing, their website has a 'Leave A Message' function so you can go there and tell them exactly what you think of them while you're at it...

Master
    This is a shame as I have only had good experiences with them. I bought a Pelagos from them over the phone with Kieran who I couldn't fault and have been in the store a couple of times. Both times I chatted with Michael who was very friendly and clearly very Knowledgeable and happy to talk to me even though it was fairly obvious I wasn't looking to buy on those occasions.

"Trust Pilot" scores them 9.7/10 with over 2,500 reviews... http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/info/Customer-Care

Hmmn...

Given the experiences of many of this thread (and others) I wonder if the unhappy customers are simple not aware of Trust Pilot?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    "Trust Pilot" scores them 9.7/10 with over 2,500 reviews... http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/info/Customer-Care

Hmmn...

Given the experiences of many of this thread (and others) I wonder if the unhappy customers are simple not aware of Trust Pilot?
    As far as I’m aware, only ‘proven customers’ can write a review. Meaning you have to buy/sell. It’s the ones that don’t would make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    As far as I’m aware, only ‘proven customers’ can write a review. Meaning you have to buy/sell. It’s the ones that don’t would make the difference.
    Sir, are you saying that the results of a web 2.0 survey are possibly skewed?

Last edited by AM94; 31st July 2014 at 10:24.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

Also, DO NOT blithely trust Trust Pilot reviews at all.
    I wrote a stinker about Nigel O'Hara and they had it pulled 'pending proof of purchase'.
    I supplied this the same day but it took three weeks and quite a few emails to have it reinstated.
    By this time, of course, my review was several pages back and you can see the same tactic all over that place.
    I suggest some people just give up and the review remains pulled, thus skewing the ratings.
    I also then wrote a suitably poor review of Trust Pilot themselves... :)

Journeyman
    I bought two watches from them last year and both went back within the week.

1) Omega PO chrono - kept stopping randomly despite being fully wound and worn - further investigation flagged it up as a known issue with the movement.

2) Rolex GMT coke with Jubilee - not sized as requested (minor) but undisclosed damage to the watch in a number of places.

I had to chase them for the return postage as they were both faulty.

Not impressed and I will not use them in the future as a result.

The return process was excellent though and the staff I dealt with in that area were extremely good - shame I had to have a bad experience to experience the best thing about their company imo.

Blog Entries
    Never had any dealings with them and after reading this thread, I certainly never will. This Oliver character wants firing!

Sorry you had such a shitty experience Danstone and I suspect you will never give them another opportunity to be so damned ignorant!
    Last edited by KavKav; 5th August 2014 at 17:50.

When trying to low ball you with an offer based on lack of timekeeping the least i'd expect, before accepting the offer, would be to be shown proof of the test results.

It would appear that Oliver realised quite quickly that you were not his target prey (you were far too knowledgeable and confident about the service history of your watches) and in the interest of expediency he ended proceedings rather abruptly and rudely.

Distressing though it can be, I would usually try to take the view that a difficult encounter was maybe a one off and perhaps give them another try again later.

Or you could have a little fun with the situation. Perhaps spend a good deal of time contemplating one of their more expensive pieces, making sure to ask Oliver lots of questions about credit card payments etc. Ensure that he clearly understands that you have utterly fallen for the piece. When you feel you have reached the trigger moment, gently place the watch on the counter, slide it towards him and without uttering a word, casually walk out. Or perhaps this is a little childish?