closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko SBGV011 and 9F82 vs 9F62

Grand Seiko SBGV011 and 9F82 vs 9F62

I know there are some knowledgeable quartzies on the forum. What's the difference between the two Grand Seiko quartz movements with date, 9F62 and 9F82 ? I tried googling but it's the usual circular references of people quoting others ( often mistakenly - I see that "vacuum sealed movement" and "50 year service interval" have yet to die ) but little actual credible info. Does anyone know ?

Paul
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 29th July 2014 at 23:56. Reason: Foolishly mentioned the model I was interested in :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The best I could come up with is that it is the date only version of the day/date 9F83.
    In effect a 9F62 with adifferent stem setting position.

Master
    http://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Seiko_9F
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/seik...ces-50584.html

The best information suggests the 9F82 is an updated version of 62 – no change in features, both having a date wheel only.

Paul, presumably you can read Japanese – is there anything here which gives a clue?
    http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/resourc...anual/J-9F.PDF

The Japanese PDF sheds no light unfortunately, and the other links ( thanks, btw ) don't add much :

9F62 - Date
    9F82 - Date (updated)

I have an interest in a 9F82-powered watch and I'm just curious. I do have a Seiko "Mastershop" nearby so I'll try asking there this week if I get time. Thought there'd be some info available somewhere, but I realise it's a bit sparse.

Paul

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    The Japanese PDF sheds no light unfortunately, and the other links ( thanks, btw ) don't add much :

9F62 - Date
    9F82 - Date (updated)
    Check the 9F83 too.
    The 9F83 is just a day/date 9F, no update. All four of these calibers have been mentioned in the user manual since ´forever´.

You can also email Seiya-san.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 28th July 2014 at 16:59.

Possibly off at a slight tangent, but having chased round a similar circle in the past I came to the (unverified) conclusion that the 9F83 had a quickset day/date, however it wasn't possible to set the day on the 9F62 independently of the time.

Is anyone able to confirm this and if so what is the position with regards to the 9F82?

According to the manual posted above, both date models are quick-set, via crown position 1 as usual. Position 2 sets the time and hacks the seconds.

Edit : and looking at the day/dates, the day is set at the same position as the date, just rotate in a different direction.

Paul
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 28th July 2014 at 17:19.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Seiya has the 9F82 in stock. Just mail him.

Its 1am :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So he will reply tomorrow, or is it a life/death issue???

I can wait 'til the sun comes up and ask one of the many local GS sellers, but I was hopeful that someone here may already know. No biggie, as they say.

Paul

- - - Updated - - -

You got me

I know there are some knowledgeable quartzies on the forum. What's the difference between the two Grand Seiko quartz movements with date, 9F62 and 9F82 ? I tried googling but it's the usual circular references of people quoting others ( often mistakenly - I see that "vacuum sealed movement" and "50 year service interval" have yet to die ) but little actual credible info. Does anyone know ?

Paul
    Another contender is the instantaneous date change - whilst it sure is fast, it doesn't happen dead on midnight as was expected. In my experience it occurs some minutes later, which isn't quite the same thing. It's relatively unimportant though, so I never saw fit to mention it before.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 28th July 2014 at 21:46.

From a Japanese forum ( and like much information, unreferenced against any Seiko data ) I found the following:

- 9F83 ( day date ) was released in 1993, 9F82 ( date ) in 1996.
    - 9F61 & 9F62 were released in 1997. They appear to be cut-down cost-reduced versions of the 9F82 caliber
    - The basic structure is the same across all versions. The lack of changes highlights the initial design perfection

If the 9F61/62 are cost-reduced versions it's not surprising there is a lack of Seiko ( and thus, offical dealer ) information. But there is no source for this claim so it's another bit of internet lore unless I can find anything more definitive.

Anyone with both calibres want to take them apart

Paul

Banned
    From a Japanese forum ( and like much information, unreferenced against any Seiko data ) I found the following:

- 9F83 ( day date ) was released in 1993, 9F82 ( date ) in 1996.
    - 9F61 & 9F62 were released in 1997. They appear to be cut-down cost-reduced versions of the 9F82 caliber
    - The basic structure is the same across all versions. The lack of changes highlights the initial design perfection

If the 9F61/62 are cost-reduced versions it's not surprising there is a lack of Seiko ( and thus, offical dealer ) information. But there is no source for this claim so it's another bit of internet lore unless I can find anything more definitive.

Anyone with both calibres want to take them apart

Paul
    And breach the 50 year sealed cabin? Never!!! The 9F movements are wonderful. If I could change anything I would make it possible to click the hour hand back and forth while the watch is still running. Then again, that might make the movement more complicated, less reliable and more expensive, so never mind.

The non-perpetual date and non-quickset hour hand are indeed a bit of a let down. The Citizen A660 and later versions are more functional. But I tried an A660 piece last week and I wasn't impressed, or more accurately, not impressed "enough". The GS models were simply better finished - inside, outside, dial and hands - in my opinion.

Still trying to find out the difference between the earlier and later quartz GS movements. Both seem to be still in production and fitted to recent models. I have sent a query to a Seiko mastershop on the subject and may pop by and ask in person later this week. I suspect only Seiko engineers know and it's some trivial parts swap for manufacturing reasons that makes absolutely no difference, but I'm still interested !

Paul

Banned
    The non-perpetual date and non-quickset hour hand are indeed a bit of a let down. The Citizen A660 and later versions are more functional. But I tried an A660 piece last week and I wasn't impressed, or more accurately, not impressed "enough". The GS models were simply better finished - inside, outside, dial and hands - in my opinion.

Still trying to find out the difference between the earlier and later quartz GS movements. Both seem to be still in production and fitted to recent models. I have sent a query to a Seiko mastershop on the subject and may pop by and ask in person later this week. I suspect only Seiko engineers know and it's some trivial parts swap for manufacturing reasons that makes absolutely no difference, but I'm still interested !

Paul
    Many thanks for your intrepid research on our behalf, arigatou gozaimashita! I look forward to any information you manage to dig out.

I was a bit torn between the Citizen Chronomaster and Grand Seiko Quartz myself. I agree with you, in the flesh the difference is quite clear. The Citizen looks a bit ordinary next to the GS.

Well I somehow found reason to be in Ginza this afternoon, which meant I had the opportunity to pop in to this place ...

Wako - Hattori ( Seiko ) Clock Tower by amokaya

Kintarō Hattori's store and needless to say, a Seiko Mastershop of impeccable provenance.

I asked about the difference between the two movements, 9F82 and 9F62. The assistant beetled off to ask the technicians who consulted some literature. In the meantime, my own GS was given a delicate clean by a gloved assistant as I perused the GS on display. I tried the SBGV011, another enticingly-named model, and the current object of my desire :

It has the 9F82 movement. It comes with both a vintage-style Seiko croc strap and vintage-style metal bracelet. Both a bit thinner than the ones on the more modern GS models. The case too was noticeably svelte. The caseback, crown and buckle were all vintage style too. I liked it a lot ... still pondering on it.

While I pondered, the answer returned. It was that while the two movements are functionally identical ( they share the same manual, as linked above ) the 9F82 is ... thinner.

Result !

Therefore it simply tends to be fitted to the thinner-cased watches, and this is why both remain in production. Whether this means the thicker 9F62 may accurately be described as "cost reduced" is not clear. I suspect it costs less to produce a thicker movement but I can't believe it's significant for a quartz. Even if it is, a thicker movement may be more robust and so it might be a better engineering solution, for case sizes in which it fits, rather than being a cost decision.

Anyway, that appears to be the answer. For verification purposes, I tried another GS shop in the area, and the seemingly-knowledgeable assistant answered my question unhesitatingly - with exactly the same answer.

So there you are, I may now rest easy.

Paul

Master
    I tried the SBGV011, another enticingly-named model, and the current object of my desire :

Excellent, you can answer my question then! Just how shiny is this watch? It's very hard to tell from pictures, where it appears almost matte. But this is often how mirror polished surfaces appear in Seiko publicity, as they are basically impossible to photograph. Is that watch highly polished on top of the lugs etc.? From the photos it could either be one block of solid mirror, or something much more restrained, I'd be interested to know, thanks in advance...

It's all zaratsu polished and thus reflects everything. A right pain to photograph.

Better pic maybe :

I think the original piece this one is modelled after was the first Seiko with this finish.

Paul

I really like that. Does it come in other dial colours? Is the W on the crown because it is a Wako limited edition?

There is a silver dial, more in keeping with the original :

It's a limited edition ( Silver : 1200 pieces, Black : 900 pieces ) but not exclusive to Wako

Paul

It's all zaratsu polished and thus reflects everything. A right pain to photograph.

Better pic maybe :

I think the original piece this one is modelled after was the first Seiko with this finish.

Paul
    GREAT pic.

Craftsman
    The SBGV011 is currently very high on my want list. I am very very tempted to get one.

Paul, is it available in Japan already or was it just a display model?

Whilst I never need to know the date around midnight, as I am either in bed or out enjoying myself, I am surprised that the date doesn't change at midnight. It seems strange to have it change instantly but not at midnight as how do you know if it has changed or not if looking at a minute or so past. A change that actually takes longer at least alerts me to the fact it is mid-change.

I assume they don't change at exactly the same time each night either, else as a top of the line watch I would expect them to be able to tweak it so it was spot on.

It's not something that would stop me buying one, but I do find it a bit odd.

Absolutely beautiful. I think the black face just edges ahead of the silver but they are both fabulous looking watches. Case size of 37.2mm is a big thumbs up to!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingdave View Post
    The SBGV011 is currently very high on my want list. I am very very tempted to get one.

Paul, is it available in Japan already or was it just a display model?
    Very much available – landed, you'd could have one for £2200-2300

Seems the thread has become a discourse on this new model, rather than my groundbreaking and original research into the important differences between GS quartz movements...

Anyway, it has been available since June in Japan. I tried it on and was offered a choice of serial numbers ( within reason - the shop had 10 of the black ones in stock ). It is one of the more expensive quartz models, so I doubt it will sell out fast. I would not buy one blind though. It is thinner than the usual 9F Grand Seikos. The bracelet and leather strap ( it comes with both ) are both thinner too. So it actually feels "vintage". They made watches with less bulk back then. If you have or have had a vintage Seiko you'll know what I mean instantly. If not, you may find this model feels slightly ... insubstantial. The thin strap, for example, can not feel as "rich" as the thickly padded ones commonly found on high end watches. The bracelet is made the same way as the bracelet on my own GS, but ... thinner. So it's a little rattly compared to the chunky modern ones.

I like all this, but it's a big leap to make if you import one and then find it's not for you.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Result !

Therefore it simply tends to be fitted to the thinner-cased watches, and this is why both remain in production. Whether this means the thicker 9F62 may accurately be described as "cost reduced" is not clear. I suspect it costs less to produce a thicker movement but I can't believe it's significant for a quartz. Even if it is, a thicker movement may be more robust and so it might be a better engineering solution, for case sizes in which it fits, rather than being a cost decision.

Anyway, that appears to be the answer. For verification purposes, I tried another GS shop in the area, and the seemingly-knowledgeable assistant answered my question unhesitatingly - with exactly the same answer.

So there you are, I may now rest easy.

Paul
    Thank you! This is useful information. :-)

Mon
    Seems the thread has become a discourse on this new model, rather than my groundbreaking and original research into the important differences between GS quartz movements...

Anyway, it has been available since June in Japan. I tried it on and was offered a choice of serial numbers ( within reason - the shop had 10 of the black ones in stock ). It is one of the more expensive quartz models, so I doubt it will sell out fast. I would not buy one blind though. It is thinner than the usual 9F Grand Seikos. The bracelet and leather strap ( it comes with both ) are both thinner too. So it actually feels "vintage". They made watches with less bulk back then. If you have or have had a vintage Seiko you'll know what I mean instantly. If not, you may find this model feels slightly ... insubstantial. The thin strap, for example, can not feel as "rich" as the thickly padded ones commonly found on high end watches. The bracelet is made the same way as the bracelet on my own GS, but ... thinner. So it's a little rattly compared to the chunky modern ones.

I like all this, but it's a big leap to make if you import one and then find it's not for you.

Paul
    Strangely enough earlier today I saw one of these myself at the Seiko Centre in Amsterdam. My first impression was that lugs appeared wider than I had expected, lending the watch an almost squat appearance. It is also highly polished. I agree that it is best seen before buying.
    Incidentally the blue dialled GS looked beguiling.

Master
    Thanks for the info! I'm curious to see this one though it sounds like good advice not to take a gamble. I suspect this model has caused a spike in the prices of the original, I'm sure it used to be possible to pick one up for less than what I'm currently seeing.

I changed the thread title to reflect the interest in this particular model.

For those wanting more pictures and details, there is an excellent thread elsewhere that is worth a look.

Now that I've unravelled the mystery of the 9F82, I think I'll be buying the black one.

Paul

Banned
    I changed the thread title to reflect the interest in this particular model.

For those wanting more pictures and details, there is an excellent thread elsewhere that is worth a look.

Now that I've unravelled the mystery of the 9F82, I think I'll be buying the black one.

Paul
    Excellent choice, Sir.

Master
    Nice pics of the 009 here showing the polished state of the case just perfectly.

and when you head to the link above go to post no.170 this guy likes his GS. very nice collection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    A little more expensive here - http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collect...bgv011-gsk-035

Is it still possible to buy from Seiya or Higuchi?

cheers

Alan

Banned
    Blog Entries
    While I pondered, the answer returned. It was that while the two movements are functionally identical ( they share the same manual, as linked above ) the 9F82 is ... thinner.

Result !

Thanks for sharing this wis-dom.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    btw. battery replacement in the 9F is a doddle. I have two that both go in power save mode around the same time and I needed to replace them. We were going down to the village to have a drink at a terrace and I asked if I could get the car. In five minutes was the answer. So I replaced both batteries and got the car up in five minutes and indeed she was ready.

I am very, véry pleased with my three SBGX 9F61 watches and would happily swap my vintage mechanical 5 Hz GS Special for a 9F82 engined SBGV.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Mon

Strangely enough earlier today I saw one of these myself at the Seiko Centre in Amsterdam. .......I agree that it is best seen before buying. .
    But of course we know that this isn't always possible - nearly all mine were bought blind - so I would rather qualify that line.
    I merely viewed this briefly through a glass cabinet, but it had more presence than I was expecting, that's all. I know it's strange how rarity (ie. Limited Edition) can distort perspective, but given that its purchase wasn't a viable proposition for me yesterday, I was content to walk away without regret. Given different circumstances however and considering that it is uniquely distinctive, I suspect I would more likely regret not seizing the opportunity to acquire one than doing so.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    btw. battery replacement in the 9F is a doddle. I have two that both go in power save mode around the same time and I needed to replace them. We were going down to the village to have a drink at a terrace and I asked if I could get the car. In five minutes was the answer. So I replaced both batteries and got the car up in five minutes and indeed she was ready.

I am very, véry pleased with my three SBGX 9F61 watches and would happily swap my vintage mechanical 5 Hz GS Special for a 9F82 engined SBGV.
    May I ask what method you use to open the cases and how you ensure that the gaskets are seated properly when you close them again? For my purposes the GS quartz is close to being the perfect watch.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    May I ask what method you use to open the cases and how you ensure that the gaskets are seated properly when you close them again? For my purposes the GS quartz is close to being the perfect watch.
    To open the universal three, exchangeable, ´legged´ wrench.

The gasket is held seated by the case back itself.
    To seal simply a light smear with silicon grease and not too tight screwing closed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    To open the universal three, exchangeable, ´legged´ wrench.

The gasket is held seated by the case back itself.
    To seal simply a light smear with silicon grease and not too tight screwing closed.
    Many thanks, Sir. That kind of wrench is high on my wish list. Good advice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Is that landed in the UK with import duty paid on top? If so whats the best route?

I was questioning the availability based on the Jura timing. I'm in London next week so will check out Seiko in Selfridges and see if I can get some info from them.

.... I would not buy one blind though. It is thinner than the usual 9F Grand Seikos. The bracelet and leather strap ( it comes with both ) are both thinner too. So it actually feels "vintage". They made watches with less bulk back then. If you have or have had a vintage Seiko you'll know what I mean instantly. If not, you may find this model feels slightly ... insubstantial. The thin strap, for example, can not feel as "rich" as the thickly padded ones commonly found on high end watches. The bracelet is made the same way as the bracelet on my own GS, but ... thinner. So it's a little rattly compared to the chunky modern ones....
    Thanks Paul, all very helpful. I think it will be perfect for me. I have smaller than average wrists, 6.25-6.5 depending on the weather, and find smaller watches suit me better. I can get away with a vintage Speedmaster, though my MKII is on the verge of being too big. My Snowflake is spot on for a sports watch and dress wise I have a late 50s Constellation which sits perfectly.

Thread revive as I picked up a 9F82-powered Seiko today, but not the SBGV011:

This one is the SBGV001. A slim 9mm case and lightweight silky bracelet make it very comfortable. Released in 1995, this is not doing too badly for its 20+ years.

Paul

Banned
    Spectacular, beautiful bracelet, congratulations.

Looks in super nick! You do get some cracking examples of watches in Japan.

Master
    The annoying thing is that the quartz models...of which I have two....offer less variety and style than the more expensive ranges. For instance, the spring-drive 109 limited edition has a complexity of dial unavailable in the quartz range, which is surprisingly limited and 'samey'. No chronos or GMTs. Some people like that, I would prefer more variety and flair.
    My favourite is the SBGX117 quartz diver, which isn't even officially available in Europe. The sbgx 115 is the white faced version. I got mine from Higuchi for a good price, considering they are the most expensive GS quartz models

A little more imagination from Grand Seiko would do no harm. Mind you, the new ceramic spring-drive sports watches (46.5mm) might be a bit too imaginative. I especially like the spring-drive range. Mine is accurate to about 2 seconds a month, which is amazing for a watch still full of mechanical parts, even with the quartz regulator. Mind you, they also cost twic as much as the quartz.....