closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Because its Superior......................

Because its Superior......................

Much is known of the virtues of the Omega Megaquartz 1510, as well as the Iconic Marine Chronometer...which was the worlds most accurate ( non TC ) quartz wristwatch and even after 40yrs still is an amazingly accurate wristwatch. But not so much the HAQ models that Seiko produced in the 70s

Of course Seiko kicked off the quartz explosion with the flawed Astron, and followed it with a bewildering multitude of calibres from both the Suwa and Daini factorys.
    Hidden amongst these, the Cal 4883 from the Suwa factory, one of the most accurate vintage quartz calibres ever produced by Seiko.

Introduced in 1975, smack bang in the glory days of quartz calibres when Seiko were striving for perfection and following on from the V.F.A range.
    Seiko renamed these top models Superior, ....why?......well, because they were.
    It was the top of the range SS model, costing around 180,000 to 200,000 yen and its reputed that the movements were all built and tweaked by hand to acheive an accuracy of 1 spm....challenging the mighty MC for top honours.

This one dates from 1976 and is the 4883-8000 model, on what I believe is its original bracelet...a nice solid link design which is very comfortable. ( Will include a picture of it attached once I have finished assembling the watch )

Originally coming above the Grand Quartz, these were pinnicle of quartz design and accuracy of the era, though it would appear the name was dropped after just a few years and the range became the Grand Quartz.
    This one is in fair condition for its age, the case is a little polished and has a deep stratch above the crown.
    I am tempted to get it restored due to its rarity and importance.
    The all important movement is pretty clean and is currently running perfectly against my RC Casio.
    I think the dial is amazing, being dominated by those striking markers.

This case design/style was obviously a favorite for Seiko, and used by both earlier and later models, the one shown is a relatively rare 2002 cal 3803 model from 73

These early Seiko quartz can still be picked up cheaply, and not all the high end movements were in the Grand Quartz models.
    If you look hard enough some of these gems turn up now and again, just goes to show that accuracy and quality that can still be had for a few pounds.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the great write-up Keith.

I've been looking long and hard for one of these, and nearly bought one, only to end up with the mechanical SUS GMT 4s12...............
    But they are great watches for little money, and a great alternative to the far more expensive OQ.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Would you believe I paid less than £80 for this scarce peice!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    Wow!

As I'm not a DIY guy I was searching for one in very good condition, but you end up paying a lot more than 80,- GBP.
    Still, great vfm I guess.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    Good score!

It's gorgeous - be interested to see the result if you decide to restore. As you say, the dial is wonderful.

Great write-up, and what a bargain!

Interesting, I didn't know Seiko had produced watches with such high accuracy ratings until the Twin Quartz in the late 70s. Any idea how they were achieving 1spm on this one? Doesn't seem to be high-frequency? What is it clocking in at on the Deltatest?