closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice buying a Seamaster 300m

Apprentice

Advice buying a Seamaster 300m

Hi all,

I was 100% convinced by the omega speedmaster pro to celebrate the start of a new project until I saw it, it just looked too breakable - something confirmed by various people since. I'm extremely active (and clumsy) and this watch is to be a daily so I think really a Seamaster 300 would be far more suited although I was initially put off by the 007 franchise factor. The watch feels and wears fantastic however although I'd be really interested if anyone has had any negative experiences with it.

As my first higher end watch I'm looking to buy from an authorised dealer and really want some advice on what an acceptable discount would be. I've been quoted 6% and 8% discount in store on a price of £2770 although seen the figure of 20% mentioned - is this feasible? Iconic watches seem to be the best for price although it's been suggested that as they are not an authorised dealer, the warranty is not full manufacturers from them. If someone has any places that they would really recommend (or not) in the south east I would really appreciate it (feel free to pm me).

This has been discussed before but I'd be interested to know how things are at time of writing.

Many thanks

Master
    Speedmaster... breakable? Well it's no G-Shock but there's people still wearing the ones they bought in the sixties, so they seem to hold up very well. Their design has never changed much, but the special editions are sometimes a little unnecessary. They are genuinely used in Space environments and they can take a beating.

The seamaster 300M you're referring to will be the ceramic bezel type? Ceramic can crack but it's rare this happens. If it did though, you're looking at several hundred pounds for bezel insert replacement. The Seamaster is a wonderful watch but some people dislike the skeleton hands, others love them.

They're both icons in their own right and both very good for everyday wear, but there are better choices if what you need is absolute rough and tumble ability. Perhaps a Sinn?

Another Omega to consider would be a sword hand Seamaster such as a 2254 or 2264. You won't find one new most likely but they're an incredible used buy.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Speedmaster... breakable? Well it's no G-Shock but there's people still wearing the ones they bought in the sixties, so they seem to hold up very well. Their design has never changed much, but the special editions are sometimes a little unnecessary. They are genuinely used in Space environments and they can take a beating.
    Good in space, but perhaps not the bath. For a lot of owners, lovingly polishing it every day with white goop to make it shiny after scuffing its crystal daily is a little strange. A Seamaster is going to be tougher on Earth, and is lower-profile than the Speedmaster, so perhaps less likely to get chunks taken out of it.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Good in space, but perhaps not the bath. For a lot of owners, lovingly polishing it every day with white goop to make it shiny after scuffing its crystal daily is a little strange. A Seamaster is going to be tougher on Earth, and is lower-profile than the Speedmaster, so perhaps less likely to get chunks taken out of it.
    Rubbish. He's looking at a new watch... therefore it'll have a Sapphire crystal. I own a hesalite version which looks as pristine now as the day I got it. Plus I've never had an issue swimming with previous Speedmasters either.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Fully agree, the Speedmaster is one of my favorite watches, but it is as dust and waterproof as a basket.

For everyday wear I'd recommend a Seamaster, ideally I'd opt for a 2531.80 if I were you, just better quality/price ratio, and I love the matt blue wavy dial, but long gone out of production so finding a mint one can be a challenge. The new model get's my vote though, good luck with it!

Craftsman
    Rubbish. He's looking at a new watch... therefore it'll have a Sapphire crystal. I own a hesalite version which looks as pristine now as the day I got it. Plus I've never had an issue swimming with previous Speedmasters either.
    A Speedy Pro still comes with hesalite if I'm correct. Sure, you can 'upgrade' to sapphire front an back, but in my opinion that is not THE Professional. And, regarding swimming with a Speedy Pro, you were lucky, they really have poor waterresistance, even the booklet that you get with the Speedy says not to get it wet. Weakest spot is the crown, the seals wear very quick due to the handwinding, but the crystal is also a known point. No wonder, the Speedy never was designed to be waterresistant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk Hoving View Post
    A Speedy Pro still comes with hesalite if I'm correct. Sure, you can 'upgrade' to sapphire front an back, but in my opinion that is not THE Professional. And, regarding swimming with a Speedy Pro, you were lucky, they really have poor waterresistance, even the booklet that you get with the Speedy says not to get it wet. Weakest spot is the crown, the seals wear very quick due to the handwinding, but the crystal is also a known point. No wonder, the Speedy never was designed to be waterresistant.
    The proof of water resistance is in the pudding. I've swam many times with one of my old ones. It was a few years old as well, but a Sapphire model. There was an Omega information card floating around (no punt intended) that suggested Omegas with 30M WR were fine for swimming.

If you're such an expert then fine :-) However I have never had an issue as I say. They're a tough watch. They last years and years and make a lot of sense as a daily wearer.

This one has a higher WR rating if the OP can stretch too: http://www.omegawatches.com/collecti...31130445001002

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CVSI View Post
    As my first higher end watch I'm looking to buy from an authorised dealer and really want some advice on what an acceptable discount would be. I've been quoted 6% and 8% discount in store on a price of £2770 although seen the figure of 20% mentioned - is this feasible? Iconic watches seem to be the best for price although it's been suggested that as they are not an authorised dealer, the warranty is not full manufacturers from them.
    I got around 16% off my SMP a few years ago in a high street jeweller. Iconic Watches WILL have the full Omega warranty if the cards with the watch are stamped by the original supplying dealer (probably from somewhere in the EU). Check with them first that's the case, and Iconic are probably one of the cheapest places in the UK to source an Omega.

The seamaster 300M you're referring to will be the ceramic bezel type? Ceramic can crack but it's rare this happens. If it did though, you're looking at several hundred pounds for bezel insert replacement.
    I've never heard of anything ceramic from Omega cracking or breaking - other brands yes, but not Omega. I wouldn't worry about it happening to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    I've never heard of anything ceramic from Omega cracking or breaking - other brands yes, but not Omega. I wouldn't worry about it happening to be honest.
    Now you have.....

To the OP, are you are aware that the Speedmaster is a manual wind watch as opposed to automatic?

If it were me...and it was a few years ago, I would and did buy a seamaster 300 as my 1st decent watch. Won't go wrong with that at all and if you don't like the Bond tie in go for the black dial over the blue. Saying that, Bond is all about Planet Oceans and Aqua Terra's now so I wouldn't worry.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    Now you have.....

Your PloProf doesn't have a ceramic bezel. From Omega's website:

"The black bi-directional rotating bezel, with its numerals and diving scale painted with white Super-Luminova inside the sapphire bezel ring..."

Apprentice
    Thanks everyone for replying.

The hesalite (which is still used of the base model) seems to be extremely susceptible to scratching and the opinion of nearly everyone I have spoken to has been that despite crazy people instagramming photos to the contrary, the speedy should not be worn anywhere near the bathroom let alone the sea or pool.

Really it just comes down to final negotiation now, the idea of buying through a dealer who has himself purchased the watch through a non uk dealer doesn't sound ideal and I could imagine potential issues should the watch ever have an issue. So, if I walk into an authorised dealer with card in hand and ask to purchase a seamaster diver, what should I go in with for a discount for a quick and easy sale? 10%? 16% Any recommendations of where to go? Please send a PM as I'm sure various dealers watch these forums...

Appreciate any input.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Your PloProf doesn't have a ceramic bezel. From Omega's website:

"The black bi-directional rotating bezel, with its numerals and diving scale painted with white Super-Luminova inside the sapphire bezel ring..."
    Good find. Omega themselves mentioned "Ceramic" when I spoke to them about it

Master
    Thanks everyone for replying.

The hesalite (which is still used of the base model) seems to be extremely susceptible to scratching and the opinion of nearly everyone I have spoken to has been that despite crazy people instagramming photos to the contrary, the speedy should not be worn anywhere near the bathroom let alone the sea or pool.

Really it just comes down to final negotiation now, the idea of buying through a dealer who has himself purchased the watch through a non uk dealer doesn't sound ideal and I could imagine potential issues should the watch ever have an issue. So, if I walk into an authorised dealer with card in hand and ask to purchase a seamaster diver, what should I go in with for a discount for a quick and easy sale? 10%? 16% Any recommendations of where to go? Please send a PM as I'm sure various dealers watch these forums...

Appreciate any input.

Cheers.
    I've PM'd you with a good AD for Omega not far from you :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    Good find. Omega themselves mentioned "Ceramic" when I spoke to them about it
    No problem, and I'm not surprised. Not everyone is a geeky as a WIS when it comes to details...

Grand Master
    The Speedmaster has a 50m rating - I would no sooner take to the pool with that than the average Speedy Pro owner would take to space. You must have a special Hesalite fitted to yours, as watches I've had with the same material look scruffy in short order (may not apply if you baby it). No screw-down crown, nothing preventing the pushers being pressed underwater by mistake. Ceramic bezel concerns aside, the Seamaster is tougher for practical purposes, that's blindingly obvious.

Oh, I've swum with a 30m watch a long time ago and it was fine. I've also swum with a 50m watch that was slightly more expensive than the 30m watch and from a slightly more WISable brand, and it fogged. So will I take the chance with a new three grand watch? No chance!

Grand Master
    Omega is pushing into the "boutique" model a la Rolex, Hublot, etc. where discounts are zero in the store. However, a lot of watches get sold to the grey market and buying from a reputable grey-market dealer is not significantly riskier, provided if it comes with the manufacturer's warranty. If it goes for warranty work, for example, the service centre shouldn't ask for proof of purchase, only the stamped warranty card. They won't care how the watch ended up in your possession, just that it's got a legit warranty.

Having said that, try for one of the remaining non-boutique Omega sellers outside of London and if you've got cash in hand, offer £2,200 (just over 20% off) and see how you get on ;).