closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fancy something a little different than a Porsche for a midlife crisis?

Fancy something a little different than a Porsche for a midlife crisis?

Could I interest Sir in a 1976 Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR3 jump-jet with a full service history? Maybe a 1988 Panavia Tornado F3 ?

Two ex-RAF jets put up for auction in Northamptonshire with no reserve price have gone to private buyers.

A 1976 Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR3 jump-jet has been bought by a man from Essex for £105,800.

A woman pilot who flew this type of aircraft bought the 1988 Panavia Tornado F3 for £36,800.

Silverstone Auctions, which sold the aircraft, did not name the buyers but described the sale as a "unique opportunity" to acquire "RAF history".

Nick Whale. the managing director of Silverstone Auctions, said: "We're very pleased that we've been able to secure such good prices for these historic fighter planes.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-28509563

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Could I interest Sir in a 1976 Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR3 jump-jet with a full service history? Maybe a 1988 Panavia Tornado F3 ?
    That is all surrogate.

Another significant other will give you way more of a challenge, thrills and satisfaction than ánything else

Craftsman
    Hmm nice garden ornaments there.

Master
    No thanks, I'm saving my pennies for this instead - http://www.platinumfighters.com/#!sp.../masterpage_29

One of these for me please. Spitfires are so yesterday http://www.platinumfighters.com/#!fo...w-190d-9/c129j

No thanks, picking up the 993 on Friday.

...and it's not a mid-life crisis!

Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post

Probably.
    The delusion is strong in this one. If you are between 35 and 55 and do not already have a Porsche Collection then it all part of the Mid Life. I got my 964 at 41 and got the AMG Merc at 54 - Still cheaper than a mistress though. Next stop for you will be Design911 to order your strut brace - best mod for a 993.

Banned
    Blog Entries

That is just a subjective perception depending on the point of view.

Those having fun, breaking out, enjoying life while they can or whatever, will not perceive is as a crisis.

Those preferring the boat to quitely chug along over calm waters till death do us part may.

It is one of the contradictory wonders of our present western society:
    We are told that behaving neatly within the boundaries of monogamy forever is the highest good while at the same time feeding the frustration of that, seducing us with sex to buy luxury stuff or be extravagantly adventurous and when we do call it a crisis and make us feel guilty about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    The delusion is strong in this one. If you are between 35 and 55 and do not already have a Porsche Collection then it all part of the Mid Life.

My secretary says I deserve it. Oh, wait a minute...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Still cheaper than a mistress though.
    Just don the model.
    I mean the sócial model.
    The mistress is well within the consumption trap.
    Forget mariage thing; the exclusivity illusion, forget the mistress/trophy girls and go out with emancipated women of independant means.
    As a bonus it does not involve risc behavior and does not harm ányones perception of environment in any way.
    The only prerequisite is being upfront about it.
    Sadly our social programming brain washes us with the model and we are in general ensnared till the kids can fly out, or till something pops earlier with réal personal crisis (plural) as the most common result.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My secretary says I deserve it. Oh, wait a minute...
    You are familiar with the decennia old l´Oreal slogan?´

Exáctly the same phenomema; marketing hooking up on the inherent frustration of the social model.

£36k for a Tornado?

That seems unbelievably cheap unless it's just the airframe.

Mind you, there's not a lot you can do with it I suppose.

Unless it's airworthy and you're keen on strafing the neighbours.

**thinks**

hang on...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not thinking it through enough leads to dealing with the consequences of things which séémed a good idea at the time.

Whereas ´missing the boat´ is seen as a bad thing, it can very well be a good thing when it is bound to sink, as are many marriages per example, in which case one can end up paying for a cow while that is milked elsewhere...

As with unique deals on ebay, life offers mány once in a life time chances.

Craftsman
    I was in that position some time ago.

Chose noble M400 over 993. The same 993 six years later had doubled in value (but hadn't been driven). Noble is now worth 60% of purchase price after 9 years. Driven over 52k miles , a lot on track.

Buy your car and drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Just don the model.
    I mean the sócial model.
    The mistress is well within the consumption trap.
    Forget mariage thing; the exclusivity illusion, forget the mistress/trophy girls and go out with emancipated women of independant means.
    As a bonus it does not involve risc behavior and does not harm ányones perception of environment in any way.
    The only prerequisite is being upfront about it.
    Sadly our social programming brain washes us with the model and we are in general ensnared till the kids can fly out, or till something pops earlier with réal personal crisis (plural) as the most common result.
    Why so arrogant to assume you know everyone's reason for choosing a wife/mistress/car and that their choice of wife or mistress isn't an emancipated woman of independent means?

Banned
    As I have been caught up with the TDF both in the UK and France I am edging toward a cycle

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    £36k for a Tornado?

That seems unbelievably cheap unless it's just the airframe.

Mind you, there's not a lot you can do with it I suppose.

Unless it's airworthy and you're keen on strafing the neighbours.

**thinks**

hang on...

**Considers starting thread titled "People who need a good strafing"**

Craftsman
    No thanks to the Harrier or Tornado, think just how much hassle there is for the vast majority of us to get rated on one of those.

Now, for me, strap on the speakers and crank up the Wagner:

http://www.raptoraviation.com/aircra...ey%20UH1H.html

Quote Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
    No thanks to the Harrier or Tornado, think just how much hassle there is for the vast majority of us to get rated on one of those.

Now, for me, strap on the speakers and crank up the Wagner:

http://www.raptoraviation.com/aircra...ey%20UH1H.html
    Surely just a jet rating, the harrier is single engined after all, 45 hours on 152, what 15 hours to convert to the jet, a few more for type and you're good to go?! :o) obviously the Certificate of Airworthiness might be more difficult to obtain :o) Would be great fun to tick it over in the back garden though!

Always remember a Harrier appearing behind me seemingly from nowhere at a British Grand Prix about 12 or so years ago. The sound is hugely directional but as soon as it arrives it is like the god of Thunder and all of his mistresses screaming at you.

Aviation seems to be a great inventor of amazing machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    **Considers starting thread titled "People who need a good strafing"**
    That would be fun.

A more extreme version of the slap thread.

For those times when the obliteration of garden gnomes or the stopping of someone playing Burt Bacharach in the middle of the night absolutely requires a Mauser cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    Always remember a Harrier appearing behind me seemingly from nowhere at a British Grand Prix about 12 or so years ago. The sound is hugely directional but as soon as it arrives it is like the god of Thunder and all of his mistresses screaming at you.

Aviation seems to be a great inventor of amazing machinery.
    Speaking of harriers http://youtu.be/IGD8jLtb2nM

Love the whine of the RR Pegasus when the power comes off after vertical landing!

Journeyman
    I'm surprised the Supermarine Spitfires are cheaper than the P38 and the Meschersmitts!?

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Surely just a jet rating, the harrier is single engined after all, 45 hours on 152, what 15 hours to convert to the jet, a few more for type and you're good to go?! :o) obviously the Certificate of Airworthiness might be more difficult to obtain :o) Would be great fun to tick it over in the back garden though!
    It would be bloody brilliant as a leaf blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Siac View Post
    I'm surprised the Supermarine Spitfires are cheaper than the P38 and the Meschersmitts!?
    I think there are companies who will build a brand new spitfire for you. German Me109's are super rare, but there were quite a few Spanish versions knocking about - some were still in service in the early 60's. In fact I think the majority of the planes used to file "the Battle of Britain" were in fact Spanish aircraft.

Craftsman
    Fantastic opportunity. Would love to see something like this in someone's front garden!!!