closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helson Shark Diver 45mm (Brass) 399dollars!

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    In your opinion which is better made or are they about the same, as I prefer the Helson name but like the off centre crown on the Armida.
    Thanks.

Build quality is excellent on both especially at the price, like I said the Helson feels the much bigger watch between the two & that's probably because of the Helsons lugs which the Armida doesn't have.

If you prefer steel rather than brass the Armida 42mm steel is due to be released within the next few weeks.
    Last edited by Gobo; 21st April 2015 at 20:10.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the reminder...ordered the Black one no date a minute ago.

Master
    Gobo cheers ;)

If they had an orange dial then I would have one to go with my 45mm Brasso -which is still the best value watch I have ever bought-,
    shame the £ has gone a bit soft against the $ but even so imho at this price these watches are an absolute bargain.
    Cheers
    Joe

Really struggling to chose between the blue Helson...

...and the brown Armida

I prefer the look of the Helson, but I suspect it will wear too large on me. I also have to consider how they will look when the patina has developed, and I think the brown may suit the aged look better.

Master
    I'm in the same boat both are nice watches and both have good points, but I agree the brown dial will look superb when the watch has aged.
    The hardest part for me was choosing the colour black, blue or green and now brown!

Craftsman
    Helson arrived today, very nice indeed and a good sized watch. Well pleased with it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrover View Post
    Helson arrived today, very nice indeed and a good sized watch. Well pleased with it.
    Any shots of the beauty ;)

Craftsman
    @barryw: My pleasure :-)

as previously mentioned, thanks to this thread, I ordered mine Tuesday night, it was shipped Wednesday morning and it arrived Friday afternoon. FEDEX collected the customs fee (85 Euro) and the Helson Shark Diver went on my wrist.

While my Precista PRS30 aged naturally and in patience, I saved my second Saturday breakfast egg and the Shark Diver spend 1/2 day in a Tupperware box with the peeled egg.

Its the black faced dial and I like it a lot as it has more of a moleskin black color that really goes well with the aged brass. But have a look for yourself:

Last edited by bmwrover; 27th April 2015 at 12:30.

Master
    ^^^Looking great^^^
    Cheers.

Craftsman
    +1 looks really good. Design wise better than Armida which is build in much more common style. Which size it is?

Craftsman
    It is the 42 mm version and I do have a decent sized wrist. I certainly wouldnt want the 45mm version.

Journeyman

I've made stainless parts for my bike, and yes, they have light rust after a winter

Quote Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
    It's only a gut feeling, but I've seen plenty of brass bells brought up from old wrecks that have survived years underwater with very little corrosion. My steel Apeks is a great dive watch (1000m with helium valve and a Seiko movement for roughly a ton), but every so often I need to clear small bits of rust from around the bezel.

Also, plated brass fittings are used in bathrooms as they last longer than steel ones in a humid environment.

I might be wrong, but that's the logic I'm using - if nothing else, it's a good excuse to suggest one to SWMBO

Edit: Just seen your edit - that may well be the case?
    I happened upon some 630 bronze I could make around 15 watches out of. I've read that bronze predated stainless in maritime uses, so it has a solid history of corrosion resistance. I may make some watches, since some of my experience cutting titanium may help me with this alloy. I don't get the brass watch as finished product, it appears pedestrian. It isn't the bronze material worth, the patina is more palatable to me. It's much harder, I just have to get over the weight.

The 42mm appeals to me as i had the 45mm in brass and it was a great watch although really big and heavy

I did hear that owners of the original limited run of brass sharkdivers were able to retire from the huge profits they made on resale, i guess their value took a hit when the 42 came out?

My only concern about buying another is the QC as my dial was ever so slightly out of line inside the case although if i did have any issues at least it could be replaced under warranty rather than a refund (that didn't cover import costs)

I do like the dials on the 42's

Just got this today, and i'm very pleased, just love it!

Price 399 dollars - 10%

Journeyman
    That's got to be worth £240 of anyones money. So tempted but I'm Saving for a Sub and a Speedy
    Last edited by sco77w; 5th December 2015 at 14:53.