closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helson Shark Diver 45mm (Brass) 399dollars!

Helson Shark Diver 45mm (Brass) 399dollars!

New Helson Shark Diver in Brass, what do you think about that?

Link: http://www.helsonwatch.com/shark-diver-45.php

Data
    Case: brushed brass - Ø 45 mm - height 18 mm - lug distance 24 mm, lug to lug 54mm.
    Screwed bronze crown w. side protection
    Case back: Titanium
    Bezel: Brass
    Automatic helium escape valve
    Sapphire crystal: 4 mm thick - inside AR coated.
    Water resistance: 1000m/3.300 ft
    Dial, hands and bezel coated with swiss SuperLuminova
    Strap: Comfortable 24 mm natural rubberstrap a 22mm brass buckle and a 24mm leather strap with 24mm brass buckle
    Movement: 24 Jewel NH 35 automatic

Master
    Don't like the size (40mm would have been better) and bezelpip seems to be a bit to much on the right side for my taste while the 30 lines up. Might just be the picture offcourse. Nice otherwise offcourse and helson make good watches that's something i can assure :-)

If it would have been 40mm maybe I jumper on it...

Craftsman
    Very nice. As a diver I like the idea of brass rather than steel for those times when a quick rinse off between dives isn't an option.

I think I've found something to go on the anniversary pressie list

Blog Entries
    Quite nice.

What amuses me a little is the way that, after the bronze vs. brass debacle of a year or two, companies are now selling brass watches as brass! Why bother with bronze when people are happy with brass. :-)

What price are the ones with the dial straight ?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
    Very nice. As a diver I like the idea of brass rather than steel for those times when a quick rinse off between dives isn't an option.

Can you explain why?

I'm genuinely ignorant about the corrosion resistance of various alloys, but I would have thought stainless steel would do better than brass.

Edit: unless by brass you mean marine grade bronze, which is different.
    Last edited by seikokiller; 27th July 2014 at 14:14.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    Can you explain why?

I'm genuinely ignorant about the corrosion resistance of various alloys, but I would have thought stainless steel would do better than brass or bronze in the long run?
    It's only a gut feeling, but I've seen plenty of brass bells brought up from old wrecks that have survived years underwater with very little corrosion. My steel Apeks is a great dive watch (1000m with helium valve and a Seiko movement for roughly a ton), but every so often I need to clear small bits of rust from around the bezel.

Also, plated brass fittings are used in bathrooms as they last longer than steel ones in a humid environment.

I might be wrong, but that's the logic I'm using - if nothing else, it's a good excuse to suggest one to SWMBO

Edit: Just seen your edit - that may well be the case?

Did some googling and found this:

http://www.proboat.com/beware-the-brass.html

So is this made from brass (predominantly nickel alloy with poor corrosion resistance) or bronze (aluminium or silicon alloy with good corrosion resistance)?

Surely all boats have a dunk tank nowadays?

Craftsman
    Did some googling and found this:

http://www.proboat.com/beware-the-brass.html

So is this made from brass (predominantly nickel alloy with poor corrosion resistance) or bronze (aluminium or silicon alloy with good corrosion resistance)?
    Really interesting and food for thought. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Surely all boats have a dunk tank nowadays?
    I've never been on a hard-boat dive that doesn't have at least a fresh water dunk tank and most also have a limited supply via a hose or tap too.

But, I've been on a few multi-dive day trips by RIB where there hasn't been any fresh water that you didn't take with you for drinking. Not a big issue when it's not that hot, but on mid-summer dives in the Caribbean or Portuguese islands, you have to prioritise and in that situation I'd rather rinse my life support gear (regs etc) and drink the rest. Obviously this isn't as much of an issue to the native Portuguese divers as they very often sink a few beers between dives instead!

Blog Entries
    Considering the problems that various watch makers had of getting real bronze from certain Chinese suppliers (they said they were supplying bronze but really supplied brass or something very similar to brass instead), I reckon that if this is described as "brass" then that is exactly what it is.

In fact wasn't Helson one of the companies involved in the oh-my-god-we've-been-supplied-with-brass-and-not-bronze debacle?

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Considering the problems that various watch makers had of getting real bronze from certain Chinese suppliers (they said they were supplying bronze but really supplied brass or something very similar to brass instead), I reckon that if this is described as "brass" then that is exactly what it is.

In fact wasn't Helson one of the companies involved in the oh-my-god-we've-been-supplied-with-brass-and-not-bronze debacle?
    It's a shame if that's the case, because doesn't that mean they're producing dive watches which would be pretty useless if put to their intended purpose?

I've never been on a hard-boat dive that doesn't have at least a fresh water dunk tank and most also have a limited supply via a hose or tap too.

But, I've been on a few multi-dive day trips by RIB where there hasn't been any fresh water that you didn't take with you for drinking. Not a big issue when it's not that hot, but on mid-summer dives in the Caribbean or Portuguese islands, you have to prioritise and in that situation I'd rather rinse my life support gear (regs etc) and drink the rest. Obviously this isn't as much of an issue to the native Portuguese divers as they very often sink a few beers between dives instead!
    Sorry; you're absolutely right. You've just triggered a few memories. Remember similar situations in Pemba and Barbados. I must be getting too used to luxury diving on liveaboards! To be honest, I don't recall my watch being my first priority on these trips either!

Blog Entries
    It's a shame if that's the case, because doesn't that mean they're producing dive watches which would be pretty useless if put to their intended purpose?
    <shrug> How many of these watches go in the water? :-)

Helson do (or did) have genuine bronze watches for sale too. (Really genuine I mean, after the fake bronze issue was sorted out).

**edit **

I just looked at www.helsonwatch.com and they still do have plenty of genuinely bronze watches for sale. So I guess you can choose cheaper and have brass or more expensive and have bronze. (And after the great bronze debacle I think you can be reasonably sure it really is bronze if they say so).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 27th July 2014 at 17:57.

Cool

Isnt 399$ the regular price for these models?

BTW, the bezel IS moved one notched , hence the misalignment, guess the photographer didnt suffer from OCD as most of us do
    Last edited by Dan83bz; 27th July 2014 at 19:01.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    it would seem the bezel is indeed one click to the right, odd for a stock picture, maybe it was to demonstrate the bezel moves,

Master
    I've bought one of these... am I going to regret it?!

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I've bought one of these... am I going to regret it?!
    From the US ? Well, the taxman is going to make the bargain not so much of a bargain but still...

Please DO post photos of it when it arrives!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    From the US ? Well, the taxman is going to make the bargain not so much of a bargain but still...

Please DO post photos of it when it arrives!
    Don't they come from Hong Kong? (Dunno, never ordered one but I thought they were HK based).

Craftsman
    Don't they come from Hong Kong? (Dunno, never ordered one but I thought they were HK based).
    Definitely from HK:
    Usually the watches will be shipped with FedEx from Hong Kong.

I really like the look of this and I'll be very interested in hearing what you think of it, W44NE. I like this size of watch and think it will be great.

As for brass watches generally, I have to admit to a bias as I am the proud owner of a brass Maranez Layan, which I love. I freely admit I'm not a diver and the watch has never been wet (because it's on a hand-made Jabba Phantom leather strap which wouldn't like the water too much!) and so I can't comment on the corrosion resistance. What I do know is that I've had it about a year and it is patinating but very slowly - much more slowly than some of the bronze watches I've seen on the forum. Is patination the same as corrosion? I'm really not sure...

I think it's good that Helson are now offering a brass watch as well as bronze ones - and the price difference is huge! If you're not going to dive in it then why would you need bronze rather than brass?

By the way, if I remember correctly the watch company which was most badly burned by the suppliers' misrepresentation of bronze as brass was Regattare with their Magrette. I thought that the way they engaged with their customers so frankly and openly was a masterclass in good PR, and did them much credit. If you want to see how they handled it you can read about it here

http://www.magrette.com/the-timepiec...tare-brass.php.

Very classy...

Simon

Master
    Corrosion resistance aside, I personally prefer the colour of brass to bronze, both in its clean form and its patina'd colouring. Bronze takes on a more reddish, russet colour, whereas brass has a more woody brown to it.

Personal preference of course, but given the unlikelihood of corrosion being an actual issue, I'd go for brass any day. It's a convenient side benefit that it's seen as lower in value and hence commands a much lower premium...

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Corrosion resistance aside, I personally prefer the colour of brass to bronze, both in its clean form and its patina'd colouring. Bronze takes on a more reddish, russet colour, whereas brass has a more woody brown to it.

Personal preference of course, but given the unlikelihood of corrosion being an actual issue, I'd go for brass any day. It's a convenient side benefit that it's seen as lower in value and hence commands a much lower premium...
    I second this. Mine's gone a lovely colour...

Simon

Great price for a great watch. I had one of the first batches of "Bronze" Sharkdivers, which in real was actually Brass. I did pay a lot more then the 400USD. Peter was takeing them in return for a real bronze watch without any troubles. I liked the quality and heft of this Watch. I really like the fact of the Non-Date Dial which always looked kind of just cutted out on the Sharkdivers. I think it's a great watch for this price, strap fun included as the 24mm gives you lot of nice options and the Sharkdiver is a real strap queen. The only thing you should be aware of is that brass is not getting such a nice patina as bronze and the color is a little different as others mentioned here before.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    What price are the ones with the dial straight ?

Paul
    Brilliant…..LOL

Anyone who has purchased from Helson - have you been hit with a customs fee?

Quote Originally Posted by Unlight View Post

I've bought loads of watches from Helson and on each one the customs fee's have been around 16 quid.

I'd like to add that these are a total bargain at the price & will certainly be sold out sooner rather than later.

Looking at this watch is it supplied on a strap? The only reason i ask is the other watches specify it next to the price? I may have to get one as i have become obsessed with divers lately and i have to have one

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Looking at this watch is it supplied on a strap? The only reason i ask is the other watches specify it next to the price? I may have to get one as i have become obsessed with divers lately and i have to have one

You get no strap or caseback or crystal & no postage as a Chinese guy kicks the watch from china so it lands on your doorstep.

Or you could go back to the Helson website & look properly , it took me about 1 second to see exactly what you get with the watch.

If you struggle to find the massive BUY NOW link on the site let me know so I can send round my two year old son to help you.

Thankyou for your help 'Gobo' (very apt)

I realise it was a very stupid question but id rather make sure before purchase as

1) id look just as stupid asking on here where my strap was after purchase when i had no idea this was pretty normal practice for some watch makers
    2) my plums were cut off by my other half for being so stupid

I had no worry asking such a question as i know on here i wouldn't get abused for it :)

Like i said every other watch on the page specifies bracelet/strap details next to the price apart from this one which is why i wanted to double check on this friendly forum, i did see the item specifics including the strap details but i have learnt to take these things with a pinch of salt and seek clarification from people ITK

Being naive And as i have no experience dealing with this manufacturer (or any manufacturer being so new to this) i thought id triple check everything before spending my limited funds

Btw i had no problem finding the 'buy it now' button and it is on its way :)

Luckily i am a good sport but i do wonder you speak to people that way away from the safety of your keyboard

Regards

Any updates on the customs fees? Anyone who has ordered get a bill yet?

Quite nice.
    What amuses me a little is the way that, after the bronze vs. brass debacle of a year or two, companies are now selling brass watches as brass! Why bother with bronze when people are happy with brass. :-)
    I like bronze , not sure about brass....although, suspecting people are actually happy with the significant lower pricing on the brass models vs the bronze ones
    This particular Helson is a pretty good looking watch IMO, perfect size for a tool diver too.
    Last edited by eddiea1; 8th August 2014 at 12:33.

Thankyou for your help 'Gobo' (very apt)

I realise it was a very stupid question but id rather make sure before purchase as

1) id look just as stupid asking on here where my strap was after purchase when i had no idea this was pretty normal practice for some watch makers
    2) my plums were cut off by my other half for being so stupid

I had no worry asking such a question as i know on here i wouldn't get abused for it :)

Like i said every other watch on the page specifies bracelet/strap details next to the price apart from this one which is why i wanted to double check on this friendly forum, i did see the item specifics including the strap details but i have learnt to take these things with a pinch of salt and seek clarification from people ITK

Being naive And as i have no experience dealing with this manufacturer (or any manufacturer being so new to this) i thought id triple check everything before spending my limited funds

Btw i had no problem finding the 'buy it now' button and it is on its way :)

Luckily i am a good sport but i do wonder you speak to people that way away from the safety of your keyboard

Regards

I was more taking the pi$$ rather than being nasty & no I don't need the safety of my keyboard to speak as I wish as I'm exactly the same in person.
    You've made a great purchase as I love my helson brass , total bargain at the price as you'll agree when yours arrives.
    Looks like you bought your's just in time as the website states there's now just seven left.

Any updates on the customs fees? Anyone who has ordered get a bill yet?

£16.00

Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    I was more taking the pi$$ rather than being nasty & no I don't need the safety of my keyboard to speak as I wish as I'm exactly the same in person.
    You've made a great purchase as I love my helson brass , total bargain at the price as you'll agree when yours arrives.
    Looks like you bought your's just in time as the website states there's now just seven left.
    I may have bitten a bit hard so please accept my apologies (bad morning!)

Im looking forward to getting my hands on it now and checking it out, was looking for an interesting diver and i think it fits the bill, my collection is growing slowly although theres always room for more (dont tell the missus)

On that point how do you all justify the purchases to the boss? I am using the 'i really needed a solid built watch i can wear up cranes and in all weathers' approach (not that i will obviously!) so i don't ruin my Oris with its fragile DLC coating lol but cant see how i can justify the next one?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiea1 View Post
    although, suspecting people are actually happy with the significant lower pricing on the brass models vs the bronze ones
    Yup, I think so.

Also, most people will have a perfectly fine experience with owning brass watches so will not miss bronze in any way. I do wonder how brass watches would react to frequent sea water use, though.

£16.00
    I hope this is right as i had worked on around £50

I hope this is right as i had worked on around £50

Helson are a bit naughty and mark the package at a lower price.

I bought a helson gauge a few weeks ago which was more expensive than the brass SD and still got away with £16.00 customs fee.
    Last edited by Gobo; 9th August 2014 at 09:28.

Helson are a bit naughty and mark the package at a lower price.

I bought a helson gauge a few weeks ago which was more expensive than the brass SD and still got away with £16.00 customs fee.
    Ah i see cheers, still a bargain whatever the costs come in at

If anyone doesn't get on with theirs, can they let me know and I'll take it? I managed to miss out by dithering :(

I was when I bought by sharkdiver a couple of years ago. I enjoyed the watch but it didn't have lasting value for me and I sold it on.

On that point how do you all justify the purchases to the boss? I am using the 'i really needed a solid built watch i can wear up cranes and in all weathers' approach (not that i will obviously!) so i don't ruin my Oris with its fragile DLC coating lol but cant see how i can justify the next one?
    I explain that watches are like shoes. You need lots of different ones for different occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I explain that watches are like shoes. You need lots of different ones for different occasions.
    My birthday is coming up so theres a justification for one more, perhaps a birth-year? I always hoped when i got the birth-year watch it would be a serious investment lol.

I suppose theres always justication if you want it, i think she knows at 3 watches its becoming a collection so will be expecting it :)

Quick heads up that the 42mm brass Shark Diver is now available at $349 which seems like a lot of watch for the money! Anyone ordered?

Shark diver brass 42mm black dial no date arrived this morning , bargain watch for the price & think I'm gonna pick up a blue dial as well.

Looks great! Any leather straps planned for it?

Looks great! Any leather straps planned for it?

Will probably put it on leather eventually but only when I can be arsed to make one.

Master
    Shark diver brass 42mm black dial no date arrived this morning , bargain watch for the price & think I'm gonna pick up a blue dial as well.

Superb looking watch just can't decide between this and the Armida, think the Helson wins just need to decide on dial colour.
    Going to look great when it's aged a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Superb looking watch just can't decide between this and the Armida, think the Helson wins just need to decide on dial colour.
    Going to look great when it's aged a bit.

I also have a 42mm Armida & the Helson wears much bigger if that's any help.

Master
    I also have a 42mm Armida & the Helson wears much bigger if that's any help.
    In your opinion which is better made or are they about the same, as I prefer the Helson name but like the off centre crown on the Armida.
    Thanks.