closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electroplating machine in the house :-)

Electroplating machine in the house :-)

I wanted to offer a plating service for my buckles and stuff so decided to splash out on an electroplating machine. I've had a few test runs and so far I'm pretty pleased with the results !

Its like wizardry !

In the pic there is one of my buckles, the old Oris (that was originally chrome) and a penny in 24k gold and in copper the watch case and thumbnail.
    Ive got chems to do all sorts of different metals so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in
    I will probably pimp up some movements in rose gold etc, that should be fun.

Carl

This sounds great fun. This is the kind of thing I would love to get into - can I ask how much is a machine, and where do you get the chemicals? Oh, and how long does it take to plate stuff?

More pics please Carl! Before and afters would be superb.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Looks good... what are you using for source metal - scrap?

Can you determine or calculate the finished thickness?

24k plated fat boy CWC

Oh the humanity.

Good man. Can I have your address? I have a set of bumpers from a Riley Roadster needs doing.

I got the kit from these guys
    http://www.gold-plating-kits.co.uk/i...l#.U9FQdYiCOSM

There are others about at cheaper cost but with less chemicals etc. This kit seemed to be the best deal overall for me so I splurged out on it.
    As for thickness, I have no idea ! I think a lot of it is down to experience and getting used to the machine.
    When I did the penny's the first time I put it on too thin as when I polished it up the edges came back through copper. Its simply a matter of dipping it back in the tank and getting more layers on and polishing again till it the base metal doesn't show.

With this machine You can either tank plate, meaning submerging the item in the chemicals or use a pen for brush painting. Basically the 'pen' is attached to the power and a nib of felt is attached to that. That would be used for more intricate work or work you can't get in a tank like maybe a car badge.

Cleanliness and preparation is key to getting a good finish. If you look at the CWC you see its quite dull. The plating will take the shape of whatever is under it so as a CWC is rough, so is the plating. I like that on the CWC though, much more military :-) haha

The chemicals are pretty nasty stuff and basic safety precautions like gloves, goggs and good ventilation are a must.

I think I'm going to quite enjoy this :-)

On the subject of the base material condition, a friend of mine reloads his own ammunition and uses a tumbling machine - near identical to a gem polisher as far as I can tell - to polish the brass. He uses very fine sand as the polishing material that does a very good job of it without removing any measurable material.

On really badly discolored or scratched brass he uses walnut shells - also works a treat!

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Good man. Can I have your address? I have a set of bumpers from a Riley Roadster needs doing.
    Certainly, do you want those in 18k, 24k or Rose gold, white gold, Silver, Platinum, copper, bronze, zink or chrome plated

Nice one. Good luck with this. When I visit the chrome plater's with my car bits it's like visiting the hobs of hell.

Quote Originally Posted by gasgasbones View Post
    Certainly, do you want those in 18k, 24k or Rose gold, white gold, Silver, Platinum, copper, bronze, zink or chrome plated
    Rhodium..? That looks cool :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Rhodium..? That looks cool :)
    Rhodium is the stuff they plate white gold with nowadays, looks super shiny :-)

Master
    As you rightly point out, some of those chemicals can be quite nasty so be careful. Some pleasing results and I'm sure very rewarding. I could imagine it being an absorbing hobby all on its own

Journeyman
    Looks great up there, I'm intrigued, Don't know if £500 splurge is worth seeing if I would enjoy doing it or not though!

Master
    I guess the potential is there to turn it into a nice little side-line.

Journeyman
    Would bronze plating age like a solid bronze case, or would you just end up seeing the steel through the plating after a bit of wear?