closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Wright Flyer video... a more neutral view... No, scrub that!!

Master

The Wright Flyer video... a more neutral view... No, scrub that!!

So with the other negative thread, I thought it would be good to start a more neutral thread regarding this watch. I like Bremont personally. There's aspects of the brand that certainly aim themselves towards the USA etc but taking away all this, their watches are well made and their designs are generally appealing.

The design of the Wright Flyer appeals to me aesthetically. However I think I would have preferred for it to be just a new addition to their regular ranges. According to the video, the cloth encased within the rotor is not actually from the original flight, but cut from the cloth they used to re-cover the plane in. Still special but not original. This adds to my thoughts on why they should have just made this a standard model in their lineup, without the Wright Brothers link.

You just know that walking in to a regular AD, they'll tell you it was from the original flight and that will be incorrect.

Taking the watch as a watch, I think the design is very classy. I don't know the price but I'm guessing it won't be cheap.

The video is located here: http://www.bremont.com/wright-flyer

Actually, forget that. It's apparently £17k in steel. £17,000. £10.000 + £7000 = Wright Flyer

This completely changes my opinion. A lot of APs are less than this, plus Pateks, High end Rolex etc. Am I missing the point?!
    Last edited by W44NNE; 24th July 2014 at 17:54.

I don't think the watch looks all that special. Sure the design is nice, but it doesn't stand out which I would expect at £17k for the SS version.

Master
    their british link is wasted on the british who must surely notice the fact that their name is french, their special editions are often of american design and their price tag is a number plucked from the air.

thing is though, the whole affair works well for them and they are becoming popular enough to peddle 18 grand steel watches. if they havent written a book on maarketing in the modern world, they certainly should!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I don't think the watch looks all that special. Sure the design is nice, but it doesn't stand out which I would expect at £17k for the SS version.
    Woah, hang on... £17k?!?!?!?!??!???)!,);;!'cbbcbn?!??!?

That price is flabbergastingly ridiculous. Bremont really are the Emporer's new clothes personified.

(Sorry Wayne, I know you wanted a more positive thread!)

I don't dislike Bremont (I own an early LE) but am certainly not a huge fan of their recent (Victory onward) limited pieces. In my opinion they are detracting from the solid line of non-LE watches they sell and making the entire brand feel akin to Franklin Mint. Rather than being a halo, the silly tie-ins detract from some well made, quality pieces.

As for the Wright Flyer - the styling is dull and the SS price is ludicrous imho.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    That price is flabbergastingly ridiculous. Bremont really are the Emporer's new clothes personified.

(Sorry Wayne, I know you wanted a more positive thread!)
    Thread now changed after this revelation Greg. That's just crazy IMO.