Master
    Blog Entries

Should I sell up my collection and buy one watch

I have built up a collection of watches:

Rolex 14060
    Explorer 16570 white
    Rolex DJ White 1601
    Rolex 16600

I am thinking of selling them all and buying one. Maybe AP Royal Oak or something like that. I always wanted a little collection but I find myself only wearing the sub these days and think that with insurance costs and costs of servicing multiple watches. I maybe better just having one watch.

What are peoples thoughts on this. Im sure lots of people have done this in the past.

Master
    That's what I did in 2006 for this PP, kept it for 5 years and then sold that.

IMG_0095-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I have built up a collection of watches:

Rolex 14060
    Explorer 16570 white
    Rolex DJ White 1601
    Rolex 16600

I am thinking of selling them all and buying one. Maybe AP Royal Oak or something like that. I always wanted a little collection but I find myself only wearing the sub these days and think that with insurance costs and costs of servicing multiple watches. I maybe better just having one watch.

What are peoples thoughts on this. Im sure lots of people have done this in the past.
    How about keeping the sub and putting the rest of the funds towards a more unusual or dressy piece?

I've thought about it many times but in my view there is not "one" watch which is great in all situations, work, play, posh function etc. I think I could go to 2, with something dressier and casual. The two that would fit the bill for me would be an F P Journe Octa Lune (for work and smarter requirements) and a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms for casual, weekend, sports type activity.

Master
    Yep, agreed. Sell the the lot (except the Sub) and have a nice holiday! See if anything else takes your fancy afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    How about keeping the sub and putting the rest of the funds towards a more unusual or dressy piece?
    This ^^

Keep the Sub and it looks like you've got about 10k to play with. If staying sporty, that would buy you a lovely Royal Oak, Aquanaut, VC Overseas or some amazing pieces from JLC.

The 'all-Rolex' thing might be whats stopping the others getting worn, perhaps just not enough variety in there.

Craftsman
    if you always reach for the Sub, having many watches is a bit pointless unless you like looking at them...

i'd say cash is king...
    Last edited by puffy; 23rd July 2014 at 11:49.

Craftsman
    If the Sub is your 'go to' watch then I'd consider selling the rest to fund a Royal Oak.
    The balance of having a classic diver, and a dressier watch, will cover every occasion.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Without a major epiphany of some kind people will generally repeat their behavior at some point. If you sell all of your watches and keep one, chances are very high that at some point you will buy more.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think I do need some variety other than rolex. I was thinking about a gold watch with the sub but this might be just because ive never owned a gold watch before.

Keep the Sub. Dump the rest. Get a Moser.

If you want to, do it. If not, don't. However, you will need something to wear when the AP, or whatever, is off for service and even just for a change when you need a break from the same old watch day in day out
    Gray

Craftsman
    Whatever you do, make sure you keep the Sub. Sell off all others, and keep the cash for a while, wear the Sub, at some point you know what to get (or not!).

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Hoving View Post
    Whatever you do, make sure you keep the Sub.

Sell off all others, and keep the cash for a while, wear the Sub, at some point you know what to get (or not!).

Sound advice!

Journeyman
    Whatever you do, make sure you keep the Sub. Sell off all others, and keep the cash for a while, wear the Sub, at some point you know what to get (or not!).
    Similar to what I did. whittle it down to one, sit tight for a bit and see what appeals.

I ended up going for a brand that I had shunned for years previously!

Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    Another +1 from me for this idea.

A good question and one I have been pondering myself... I have three similar but all different watches , seadweller , 16610 LV and a Deepsea.

Th original seadweller was my first Rolex , way back in 2002- having been through some scrapes together it has a lot of memories for me so would struggle to sell. The most logical sale would be my 2003 16610 LV having never really worn it it still has all the protective seals on. Because its not always easy to co-ordinate with the green it never really gets a look in but I do like the watch and know that i would regret selling it

the DSSD would I guess be the easiest to sell from an emotional standpoint as its the newest and still current

The challenge is twofold:

what would I replace them with? I would like a Royal Oak and an Aquanaut but do I want one enough to sell the others- not really as I know I would miss them
    also, once I started to look at spending over 10k on a watch I would automatically think about what else i could do with the money ( towards a new car, home improvements etc)

Ultimately, I would have said that once you start asking that question yourself about trading in then that would suggest that you were less than happy with your current selection - however this would contradict everything else I've just said!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Without a major epiphany of some kind people will generally repeat their behavior at some point. If you sell all of your watches and keep one, chances are very high that at some point you will buy more.
    An experience I'm very familiar with, but in my experience, the cycle comes with an increase in the magnitude of costs!

The thinking goes "I've got 5-10 watches/guitars/bikes/hi-fi bits/cameras, I should sell the lot and buy one really good watch/guitar/bike/camera". I sell them, buy the super fancy thing and it really is tremendous. So good it in fact that it hightens my appeciation for a fine watch/guitar etc. This then leads me to conclude that I want another collection, just this time consisting only of items of the quality of the new toy.

I've tried this a few times but come to the conclusion there is never just 1 watch.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

One watch?? You must be joking!

Master
    I'd keep the sub and sell the others - either hold on to the cash for now or use it to fund another watch. I've thought about this/attempted it many times but whenever I get down to about 2 watches I just start buying again :)

Craftsman
    All of that would raise funds for a lovely watch...

No. Buy more.

Grand Master
    Lots of folks seem to go through this 'one watch' phase, and most end up regretting it.

Personally, I wouldn`t do it, but I`m a dyed in the wool collector; I acquire watches I like over a long period of time and keep them. That's not to say I don`t sell stuff, but it's a rare event. Not wearing them often isn`t a good enough reason for selling IMO.

I`d think long and hard before parting with the Sub if you wear it regularly.

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    Non of my watches are rare so I could pick up again if regretted. Might be a costly exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    One watch?? You must be joking!
    That ^^

I considered I could conceivably get down to three:

Daily wearer; auto, stainless, date. Patek Nautilus chrono, Rolex SS sports
    Smarter; gold on leather. Patek, Breguet, JLC
    Beater; quartz, multifunctional, tough. Breitling Aerospace

I do hope I never have to though :)
    Last edited by DB9yeti; 23rd July 2014 at 17:18.

Banned
    You will want another as the novelty wears off.

Indeed.

A (black dialed) Sub is one of the most versatile watches out there, you won't be shorting yourself whilst pondering which watch to partner it.

Banned
    Ok, I suggest you keep the watch you like best and sell the others. If servicing costs are an issue for you, then for heavens sake do not buy an AP Royal Oak. Give this issue some careful thought and if you do buy another watch buy something well made and reliable from a manufacturer that offers value for money service (PP for example. You pay, but you get value for your money).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Ok, I suggest you keep the watch you like best and sell the others. If servicing costs are an issue for you, then for heavens sake do not buy an AP Royal Oak. Give this issue some careful thought and if you do buy another watch buy something well made and reliable from a manufacturer that offers value for money service (PP for example. You pay, but you get value for your money).
    Completely correct as to the point on AP servicing costs. Not cheap. At all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    If you buy the AP RO at a 20-30% discount or LNIB then you will take very little hit on resale, like a PP, and as for service AP times are in the weeks while PP are notorious for being months, 8 months just on the basic Aquanaut is not unknown so only buy a PP if you really really want one and ofc you must have another watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    An experience I'm very familiar with, but in my experience, the cycle comes with an increase in the magnitude of costs!

The thinking goes "I've got 5-10 watches/guitars/bikes/hi-fi bits/cameras, I should sell the lot and buy one really good watch/guitar/bike/camera". I sell them, buy the super fancy thing and it really is tremendous. So good it in fact that it hightens my appeciation for a fine watch/guitar etc. This then leads me to conclude that I want another collection, just this time consisting only of items of the quality of the new toy.
    ^^^ This is spot on in my experience!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I've thought about it many times but in my view there is not "one" watch which is great in all situations, work, play, posh function etc. I think I could go to 2, with something dressier and casual. The two that would fit the bill for me would be an F P Journe Octa Lune (for work and smarter requirements) and a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms for casual, weekend, sports type activity.
    This. No watch is versatile enough to fulfill every role. 2 or 3 watches us perfect for a person who likes to wear the same watch everyday. For others who like to change daily then.....

If I sold all of mine and then saved for a couple of months I could buy the holy grail

However I suspect that I would become bored with it as an only watch, sell it and then have to replicate my current (or another) group of watches - ending up right where I began

So I dont think I'll bother

Lazy bugger

Master
    I would hang on to the 14060 and buy another watch with the sale proceeds from the others.

scooter

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post

Oh dear, nail hit firmly on the head there!!! :)