closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Bremont Wright Flyer

Quote Originally Posted by Wright Flyer View Post
    The information came from the Hong Kong. That's all I can say!
    I can not reveal more than that I'm sorry.
    But what I have told you so far has proven to be correct.
    As Mark has said, for you to be taken seriously you are going to have to. You can't go about making claims without supporting them with evidence.

Spoilers?

Would have been nice if you'd at least removed the name from the title...

Hey ho.

Are you going to tell me how GoT ends next?

This is so boring now. As Cartman said "screw you guys, I'm goin' home"

Maybe it is time Eddie closed this thread. I really couldn't care less about the movement, but reprising the Victory, P51, Codebreaker, fragment of history trick with a fragment of the aircraft is just a bit daft.

David

Only just read this...I think we need the enforcer!

Blog Entries
    You talk Jack-Wright.

Have you actually registered just to do this???? Seriously????

Probably a disgruntled former supplier of straps to Bremont or some such.

Clearly only one motive - to create something negative and viral. The internet equivalent of the clap.
    Gray

Hodinkee, presumably working from a press release, class the movement as "Bremont's first in-house" - made from a combination of own and Swiss parts
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Hodinkee, presumably working from a press release, class the movement as "Bremont's first in-house" - made from a combination of own and Swiss parts
    Hmmm I've kept out of this,but I do think that there's a bit of stretching the truth going on from Bremont, 'we' know that having plates engraved with a brand name and even a new hairspring is not really making a movement in house, it would have been better if they had been a bit more transparent and said they start with a base movement and then improve it by X Y Z.....
    It all depends what they have done to think they can make any claims regarding the movement...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Hmmm I've kept out of this,but I do think that there's a bit of stretching the truth going on from Bremont, 'we' know that having plates engraved with a brand name and even a new hairspring is not really making a movement in house, it would have been better if they had been a bit more transparent and said they start with a base movement and then improve it by X Y Z.....
    It all depends what they have done to think they can make any claims regarding the movement...
    Like I said earlier today it's not an in house movement but a Joux-Perret 6901.
    Let's see them change the story over the next few days.

http://www.alt1tude.com/forum/showth...4006#post14006

It is dubbed the BWC/01 Automatic Movement, and features 25 jewels, Glucydur balance, Nivarox CT balance spring and Nivaflex 1 mainspring. It has a 50+ hour power reserve and is beautifully finished with perlage detailing and Bremont branding. Bremont states that many of the parts were crafted in their own workshops at their HQ in Henley-on-Thames. While we don't know exactly which parts Bremont are making at this point, its a valiant move away from the ETA movements used up until this point.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Well it's now on the website and it definitely refers to an in house movement.

http://www.bremont.com/wright-flyer

BREMONT’S NEW MOVEMENT
    Bremont is honoured to announce the unveiling of the Limited Edition Bremont Wright Flyer on the 23rd July 2014 at the Science Museum in London. The new timepiece will feature some of the original fabric used on the 1903 Wright Flyer aircraft. Just as significantly, it showcases Bremont’s first ever in-house movement, the BWC/01, designed and developed in Britain. Many of its constituent parts have also been crafted at the company’s workshops in Henley-on-Thames. The 25 jewel, 33.4mm movement features a large date (not used on The Wright Flyer), 50+ hour power reserve, Glucydur balance and a hairspring adjusted via a micro-metric screw. Utterly reliable and extremely robust, the BWC/01 is elegant and beautifully finished, with a central hour and minute hand and a running second hand at 9 o’clock.

Master
    Irrespective of who, what, where, that is one helluva nice rotor design – no ifs, ands, or buts.

Banned
    I had no idea this was being released (never been a Bremont fan) and i think i shall buy one.

What's the price of it and is it an in house movement or not?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Irrespective of who, what, where, that is one helluva nice rotor design – no ifs, ands, or buts.
    Not usually a fan of Bremont rotor design which I often find cheesy but that is lovely.

Is the fabric that tiny square on the rotor? Very Romain Jerome....

Grand Master
    This troll has slightly piqued my interest - if it's a ninja reverse psych-ops attempt by Bremont to drum up business, it's worked to the extent that they keep the price rises down sufficiently in future years where I may be able to afford one. Which is unlikely. If it was black-ops corporate guerrilla warfare from Chrward, LVMH, Richemont or SwatchCo, it's failed dismally. Either way, the whole point of the thread makes humanity look ju-u-ust that little bit worse than it did before. Your mother must be *very* proud!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Banned
    This might not be much of a scoop, but from what I've seen so far I'd have to say that I find you to be a complete..................

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    I had no idea this was being released (never been a Bremont fan) and i think i shall buy one.
    At £18K for the SS version, will you really?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    What's the price of it and is it an in house movement or not?
    300 SS/black dial pieces at £18K, 100 RG/white dial pieces at £28K and 50 WG/white dial pieces at £30K, as reported in the link ralphy's comment contains.

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    Not usually a fan of Bremont rotor design which I often find cheesy but that is lovely.
    Hard to fault it, even if totally literal, which at these prices it probably needed to be.

http://youtu.be/-IK9tRYAkyQ?t=3m14s – they're very much claiming it to be in-house, and "designed and built in the UK".

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Yep, that's it.
    Last edited by PJ S; 24th July 2014 at 00:53. Reason: prices correction

Hahahahahaha.

ahem.

hahahhahahaha.

wait, I'm done now.

ha.

17 grand in steel? As in 17KGBP? 17 thousand of your Earth pounds?

Sheesh. I would want their actual plane to be included for that much.

Is it just me that finds it a tad... vulgar that they use genuine parts from actual historic artifacts when making these special editions? We've had parts of enigma machines, parts of HMS victory, and now parts of the Wright brothers plane.

I know they are only small elements of these things, and they're not exactly being used for anything anymore, but something just doesn't sit right with me that Bremont do this sort of thing.

It's nice enough, but where did that pricing come from??

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    It's nice enough, but where did that pricing come from??
    It has part of a plane in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Well it's now on the website and it definitely refers to an in house movement.

http://www.bremont.com/wright-flyer

BREMONT’S NEW MOVEMENT
    Bremont is honoured to announce the unveiling of the Limited Edition Bremont Wright Flyer on the 23rd July 2014 at the Science Museum in London. The new timepiece will feature some of the original fabric used on the 1903 Wright Flyer aircraft. Just as significantly, it showcases Bremont’s first ever in-house movement, the BWC/01, designed and developed in Britain. Many of its constituent parts have also been crafted at the company’s workshops in Henley-on-Thames. The 25 jewel, 33.4mm movement features a large date (not used on The Wright Flyer), 50+ hour power reserve, Glucydur balance and a hairspring adjusted via a micro-metric screw. Utterly reliable and extremely robust, the BWC/01 is elegant and beautifully finished, with a central hour and minute hand and a running second hand at 9 o’clock.
    Well the launch is over and it's been stated that it is a British in-house movement.
    I still say it's not. Let hope for £19000 it is though!
    Last edited by Wright Flyer; 24th July 2014 at 00:16.

How is it the likes of Damasko can announce an in house movement and charge 3k, Bremont do it and charge 17k?

I got that, it's the pricing I am fuzzy on :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    At £17K for the SS version, will you really?

Not at 17k for a brand I'm not that interested in, no.

I expect the pricing will, in reality, be similar to RJ stuff new and on the second hand market will be keenly priced.

Somewhere out there is a market for over priced watches with bits of planes, ships and typewriters in them.

Sorry but these prices sound like a wind up.

Craftsman
    Given that they paid an 'undisclosed' amount to the Wright Family Foundation for the fabric, I assume this has an impact on the price.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Given that they paid an 'undisclosed' amount to the Wright Family Foundation for the fabric, I assume this has an impact on the price.
    And that's passed on to the customer?

Craftsman
    And that's passed on to the customer?
    I would assume it's factored into the price.
    Last edited by GlennO; 24th July 2014 at 04:08.

They bought a 90 cm3 piece of cloth, like 9 x 10 cm. About the size of a hand.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Their Instagram goes further:

"This uses their first in-house movement, designed and built completely in the UK!"

Seriously though, Bremont? Silly geese. For that money, I'm sure they could have dropped the stupid historic relic gimmick, charged the same and used the obscene price to fund the manufacture of a real in-house movement.

Also the whole British slant to their marketing and brand seems a little askew with a bit off an American plane.
    Last edited by Uriel; 24th July 2014 at 08:49.

Craftsman
    At least this thread is now concentrating on the watch, rather than the OP...

Ridiculous price, but then clearly not aimed at the likes if me with my meagre budget.

As for it being a gimmick, some people will happily pay £17k so they can bore others at parties with stories of what is built into their watch. Bremont obviously think there is a market for the watch, unless their cost benefit analysis was wildly out.

Personally, I like some of the Bremont range and am ambivalent about the rest. As for the movement, I frankly couldn't be less interested where it was made, as long as it is reliable.

To be fair, it has part of the world’s first aeroplane in it. I don’t expect they will have much trouble selling them all as aeronautical history is quite a market-place.

Official prices and numbers produced:

300 Stainless Steel Black £17,995
    100 Rose Gold White £27,995
    50 White Gold White £29,995

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Most interesting thing for me last night was announcement of second Henley building and 60 more staff over coming year. That's effectively doubled the size of the Henley operation.

Anyone know whether the 6901 has a date?

Building something from various parts, some of which one has made, is not the same as manufacturing every component and also assembling them - ergo built/assembled in Britain.
    It comes down to the definition of "in-house" as generally accepted by the watch industry and particularly buyers, especially the discerning nutters here.
    Many manufacturers do great things with others movements - AP, PP, JLC to name three that also build their own. It gets greyer when you move to the likes of IWC, Panerai, Breitling where they do significant (whatever that is) changes to stock supplied movements and give them there own name.
    Then we end here, with Bremont, where definitions appear clouded and the only real way out is an independent watch makers factual review of the movements components to see how much is "own". However this will still not match any generally accepted or a authoritative view on "in-house".
    Bremont appear to have pitched into the grey to allow their buyers to decide and I suspect for most of their customers the Made in Britain, in-house tag, with its qualification of "some own" components, and even the pricing will all be just fine and exactly what they are looking for.
    Bremont have finally arrived where most sceptics always assumed they were heading.
    Good luck to them, but it's not for me.
    Gray

How is it the likes of Damasko can announce an in house movement and charge 3k, Bremont do it and charge 17k?
    Because they've got a high end Mayfair store to keep open.

Personally I don't give a money's about Bremont. I don't care if they make an in house movement, and I don't care if they don't. And I don't give the slightest fxxx if they claim to have one, but don't.

Plus, I don't care at all for the cheesy, contrived 'propeller' style rotor. As first seen on their Mustang P51 limited edition. Or was it their Spitfire limited edition.

And I reeeeeally don't care for cutting bits off, or taking chunks out of historical artifacts just so give their watches a marketing angle.

What a strange, strange tread.

Craftsman
    A little OT this, so apologies. But here's the thing. I'm not that bothered about having a bit of the Wright Brothers' plane in my watch, let alone paying £17k for it, but are Bremont missing a trick? What if they offered the ability for you to have a scrap of fabric from something that meant something to you personally - the wife's knickers or whatever. What would you have?

17K for a Bremont?! Couldn't care less if the movement was made entirely by hand.

Absolutely ridiculous pricing, I can think of ten different watches I would rather buy than this one. I'll start with a Dornbluth, I find their movement decoration much more tasteful.

Blog Entries
    Different markets I guess.

Worse, IMHO, is the fact that this movement isn't really the technical marvel the Damasko movement is.
    No use of sillicon hairsprings, or beautiful fine regulators, just a micrometer screw, I'd rather have the Rolex or Omega movements, and they can be bought for a fraction.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Nomos, for even less.

Daddel.
    Last edited by Daddelvirks; 24th July 2014 at 08:12.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Banned
    Sorry but these prices sound like a wind up.
    People on here seem to struggle with marketing.

A steak is a bit of cow. If it was reared by a highland virgin, I'm expected to pay more. It's still a bit of cow.

I could be wrong but I don't think they will sell very fast at that price

£17000 just for the SS

I don't even think its anything special looks wise, from the front anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Most interesting thing for me last night was announcement of second Henley building and 60 more staff over coming year. That's effectively doubled the size of the Henley operation.

According to the Bremont website...

The 25 jewel, 33.4mm movement features a large date (not used on The Wright Flyer), 50+ hour power reserve, Glucydur balance and a hairspring adjusted via a micro-metric screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Either that or Franklin Mint; I can't make my mind up.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    According to the Bremont website...
    Yup. I, too, can read the Press Release.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't think they will sell very fast at that price

£17000 just for the SS

I don't even think its anything special looks wise, from the front anyway.
    £17K is that the price!!?? that puts it in contention with PP Nautilus......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    People on here seem to struggle with marketing.

A steak is a bit of cow. If it was reared by a highland virgin, I'm expected to pay more. It's still a bit of cow.
    Especially given the rarity of Highland virgins.

SGR