closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Universal Geneve versus Geneve

Universal Geneve versus Geneve

Did these 2 companies have any relationship to each other or not? I notice once can find quite a few "Universal Geneve" timepieces, on places such as eBay but not so much of the ones branded simply as "Geneve" .

Any info would be highly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    Did these 2 companies have any relationship to each other or not? I notice once can find quite a few "Universal Geneve" timepieces, on places such as eBay but not so much of the ones branded simply as "Geneve" .

Any info would be highly appreciated!
    No.

I have seen some cheap modern quartz models labelled Geneve (if that is what you are referring to) but they have no affiliation to Universal.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

No 😎😃😊😄

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    No.

I have seen some cheap modern quartz models labelled Geneve (if that is what you are referring to) but they have no affiliation to Universal.
    I actually have an automatic Geneve , seems to be 70-80s model, caliber is Durowe "Duromat"7522/3 , if that means anything but could not find any other info on it. Works great though and I was sursprised at its accuracy, got it with a bunch of other vintage pieces.

I actually have an automatic Geneve , seems to be 70-80s model, caliber is Durowe "Duromat"7522/3 , if that means anything but could not find any other info on it. Works great though and I was sursprised at its accuracy, got it with a bunch of other vintage pieces.
    Yeah I think the name Geneve has been used on and off over the years, I've certainly seen older ones as I doubt anyone can own the name of a city.

Durowe is a German movement BTW which you often find in old Laco's.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Durowe is a German movement BTW which you often find in old Laco's.
    Interesting. Could be East-German then?

Can you post pictures, perhaps. I have searches saved for UG on most of the European Ebay sites and I can't say that I've noticed watches with just Geneve popping up - normally you'd expect a few to creep in, no matter how honed you think your search criteria is. Also no mention on the Wiki that I can see - always gets shortened to Universal, if anything, rather Geneve.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Can you post pictures, perhaps. I have searches saved for UG on most of the European Ebay sites and I can't say that I've noticed watches with just Geneve popping up - normally you'd expect a few to creep in, no matter how honed you think your search criteria is. Also no mention on the Wiki that I can see - always gets shortened to Universal, if anything, rather Geneve.

Sure, I actually have it listed on eBay and one fella sent me a question asking whether the watch is Swiss, which I believed it would be or if its German

Don't have a bloody clue myself which is why I was hoping I'd get elucidated by the forum elders

I took some clearer pics of the movement&dial now, here they are

Mikrolisk has 3 references for Duromat and all 3 are registered to Pforzheim in Germany; two of them refer to Lacher & Co. I think that makes it German and I have no idea under what basis that would allow them to put Geneve on the dial. Maybe there's a technicality because they've missed out the accent. I see you've tracked down the movement reference on Ranfft. I know UG have made some horrors in the past but these were mostly during the quartz crisis - I like to think that something from them of that period would have a better-decorated movement.

http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?sit...25#sucheMarker
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Sure, I actually have it listed on eBay and one fella sent me a question asking whether the watch is Swiss, which I believed it would be or if its German

Don't have a bloody clue myself which is why I was hoping I'd get elucidated by the forum elders
    TBH the watch could have come from anywhere although I doubt it would be Swiss.

At that time all sorts of sellers would have generic watches made up with the name of their choice on the dial.

Could be East German as you say although it could equally be Indian or something. Not having any country of origin on the dial leads me away from any of the main watchmaking countries.

I guess no country of origin inside the case back?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

TBH the watch could have come from anywhere although I doubt it would be Swiss.

At that time all sorts of sellers would have generic watches made up with the name of their choice on the dial.

Could be East German as you say although it could equally be Indian or something. Not having any country of origin on the dial leads me away from any of the main watchmaking countries.

I guess no country of origin inside the case back?
    Will take out the loupe and check when I get home :)