closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosquitos in the UK - Do You Get Them?

We get them on Hayling Island on the South coast.
    For some reason not as bad in recent years as they used to be.

NHS: "Climate change 'might bring rise in UK mosquito-borne diseases'" (link).

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Of an evening now that the days are drawing out, we like to shoot the breeze outside for an hour or two, but we've noticed quite a few of the little bast###s hovering around us, has anyone had any success with the electrical killer lamps, or possibly a killer spray that we can blanket the place in?

Napalm.

It's really very effective.

If they're in water butts in the garden, a few drops of oil on top of the water will kill the larvae.

Master
    Our garden, actually the whole street is swarming with mozzies and similar looking flies...the warm spell of weather is to blame. They are bloody everywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Relatively few in Dorset but we do (or did) have the "Blandford Fly".

FWIW Avon's Skin-so-Soft is highly regarded as an insect repellant. You need the normal one which seems to work best.

Also, check what's going on with Deet, it has some very dangerous chemicals in it. Layed me out for 3 days once. I now get dizzy looking at a bottle of it in Boots.
    Also, Deet melts g shocks - in a surprising mosquito/watch forum link!

Master
    There are mosquitoes and there are:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZLnOlaFGac

Mike

So, you would have thought with it being -6 degC only a month ago, mosquitoes would not be much of a problem in mid-April.

But on a unseasonably warm night like tonight, they’re back in force. And massive buggers they are too.

Got loads in the last day or two here in Essex. As you say, big ones!

In North America, mosquitos are prevalent in wetland areas. The further north you go, the larger and more fierce the mosquitos become! When I lived in Minnesota, the mosquito was infamously known as the "State Bird." As a boy in the 1950s, the mid- to late- summer would bring early evening trucks slowly cruising the residential streets spraying DDT fogs behind them to kill the mosquitos. All the neighbor kids would ride our bikes behind the trucks, wallowing in the cancerous DDT fog! Well, at 70 I still don't have cancer...

We live very near to a canal and are plagued with them

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

We have the silent type here with nasty bites
    Hate them to death

Yes we do. We have the river Test running through our village and during a prolonged warm spell get proper full size mozzies similar to those you see on holiday.

Mosquitos in the UK - Do You Get Them?

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Yes we do. We have the river Test running through our village and during a prolonged warm spell get proper full size mozzies similar to those you see on holiday.
    Flowing water isn’t the main culprit, it’s the standing one that’s the issue. In Tahiti you spend your weekend on little islands around the lagoon called ‘motu’. Most of them don’t have running water so you have a little house served with rain collecting tanks for your showers (the drinks and food come on the boat). A glass of diesel poured in the tank means they won’t lay there. You just need to check when you arrive that the water is high enough to a void a very unpleasant shower
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Sitting in the garden on a balmy summers night, and I have slapped 4 of the little buggers who have landed on me for a meal.

I am in the South, but how far north do you get mossies in the UK?

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I am in the South, but how far north do you get mossies in the UK?
    Not sure but at some point the mosquitoes are replaced by midges. https://www.calltoadventure.uk/post/midges-in-scotland

Midgies were a pain as I stood at the bus stop on the rare wind-free days up here. I started drinking a lot of bitter lemon and they would leave me alone as it contains quinine, and move onto the others in the queue. Many people would advise me that It was tonic water that containe quinine and not bitter lemon. As quinine was mentioned on the label of the bitter lemon bottle proving them wrong wasn't a problem.

A few years on I have been told not to drink fizzy drinks, so I either find somewhere that there is the slightest zephyr or slap on some Avon Skin So Soft, which is sworn by in these parts.

^ You were proving them wrong on bitter lemon, but tonic water does also contain quinine.

Might be wise to not consume more than 1 litre a day though.

https://www.scimex.org/newsfeed/a-te...rates-of-death

As to the question, No.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Not sure but at some point the mosquitoes are replaced by midges. https://www.calltoadventure.uk/post/midges-in-scotland
    In County Durham, we're fortunate enough to have both midges and mosquitoes.

Up here in Scotland apparently if there's a breeze of 5mph or more then midges are grounded. Eating garlic apparently repels insects, and many people swear by an Avon moisturiser(?)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkio View Post
    In County Durham, we're fortunate enough to have both midges and mosquitoes.
    Ah, the crossover point. ;-)

Craftsman
    Apparently we have 34 species , only a few bite humans though id assume .

Having lived in Canada for a while they are a totally different story over there , you need mesh on the windows etc, they are savage and the bites are horrific and often get infected. They make a lot of noise when they get into your room at night

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Apparently we have 34 species , only a few bite humans though id assume .

Having lived in Canada for a while they are a totally different story over there , you need mesh on the windows etc, they are savage and the bites are horrific and often get infected. They make a lot of noise when they get into your room at night
    I though they only make a noise when full? Or is that myth?

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    ^ You were proving them wrong on bitter lemon, but tonic water does also contain quinine.

Might be wise to not consume more than 1 litre a day though.

https://www.scimex.org/newsfeed/a-te...rates-of-death

As to the question, No.

TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes, I was aware of quinine in tonic water, and it's dangers from reading about one of the Two Fat Ladies (chefs on TV). Here is some text from Mashed.com

Like her father, Dickson Wright battled alcoholism. Her heavy drinking forced her to abandon her law career and also led her to squander the millions she inherited from her parents. While she eventually sought treatment and remained sober in her later years, the damage caused by her drinking was irreparable. A gin and tonic aficionado, the quinine in the tonic water permanently damaged Dickson Wright's adrenal gland which caused her to struggle with her weight.

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/98366/untold-truth-two-fat-ladies/?utm_campaign=clip

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Midgies were a pain as I stood at the bus stop on the rare wind-free days up here. I started drinking a lot of bitter lemon and they would leave me alone as it contains quinine, and move onto the others in the queue. Many people would advise me that It was tonic water that containe quinine and not bitter lemon. As quinine was mentioned on the label of the bitter lemon bottle proving them wrong wasn't a problem.

A few years on I have been told not to drink fizzy drinks, so I either find somewhere that there is the slightest zephyr or slap on some Avon Skin So Soft, which is sworn by in these parts.
    Use of quinine sounds unlikely - people probably confusing the malaria parasite (which quinine is used against) and the mosquitoes themselves.

Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2 from respiration so agree carbonated drinks likely not a good idea.

Living in Taipei they are 2nd nature, most active around dawn and dusk, if going out around then often I wear socks as they seem to prefer to bite the ankle region. We have mesh on all windows and screen doors, if you go out you prepare everyone and then open the mesh door - all charge out and immediately close the mesh door to hopefully stop any going in. If you are coming home you check around the door first before opening it to try to prevent intruders.

Worst thing of all is one gets in your bedroom at night and does the high pitched buzz in your ear. It is amazing the number of people who get 1-2 hrs sleep a night as a single mozzie can destroy any chances of sleeping until you kill it.

Living in Norfolk I have never seen one let alone been bitten by one, horse flies mind - those are bloody nasty bitey things.
    Last edited by eldrich; 8th July 2022 at 16:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Use of quinine sounds unlikely - people probably confusing the malaria parasite (which quinine is used against) and the mosquitoes themselves.

Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2 from respiration so agree carbonated drinks likely not a good idea.
    Perhaps it was just coincidence, but my colleague, who also queues at the bus stop with me, bemoaned how he was getting bitten whilst I was being left alone. Since I have stopped drinking bitter lemon the midges have now found me again as a likely target.

Agreed that CO2 is the attractant, but the carbonated drinks advice came from the consultant and was due to a stomach disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by eldrich View Post
    Living in Taipei they are 2nd nature, most active around dawn and dusk, if going out around then often I wear socks as they seem to prefer to bite the ankle region. We have mesh on all windows and screen doors, if you go out you prepare everyone and then open the mesh door - all charge out and immediately close the mesh door to hopefully stop any going in. If you are coming home you check around the door first before opening it to try to prevent intruders.

Worst thing of all is one gets in your bedroom at night and does the high pitched buzz in your ear. It is amazing the number of people who get 1-2 hrs sleep a night as a single mozzie can destroy any chances of sleeping until you kill it.

Living in Norfolk I have never seen one let alone been bitten by one, horse flies mind - those are bloody nasty bitey things.
    I remember mozzies at at a hotel in Beccles (backs on the river) doing that buzz, maybe they're scared of Norfolk side?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I get eaten alive in summer (north)

Oh my goodness, I originally contributed to this thread in 2014! I was looking back in the pages to add to my PC build thread.

I recently bought one of these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&psc=
    1 and haven’t been bitten at home since. I live in the Square Mile but still get bitten at least once every two or three days at this time of year.

There has been a lot of collateral damage though. Many Bothans, and other species have died!