closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedy/Broadarrow Project. Just Completed!

Omega Speedy/Broadarrow Project. Just Completed!

Nothing radical about this project (some would even say that the mods were redundant!) but I have always wanted a vintage Omega Speedmaster Broadarrow with a 861 movement.
    I could have gotten the 1957 replica/reissue (3594.50) but it came with imo a less attractive 1861 movement. As for the 861, I wanted the rose gold/brass version which I thought was the prettiest of the lot. Picky picky picky...
    Doing my maths, I therefore got myself a 3590.50 from one of the established Japanese vendors off Ebay (it even came with the original purchase receipt!) and some parts from Ofrei, and off it went to my regular watch technician.
    Here are some pictures of the parts and watch, and the end result (Pics taken with my IPhone 5..yeah, I really need to work on my photography skill!)

Brand new dial from Ofrei.

New broad arrow hands.. again from Ofrei.

The ..*ahem*.. touched up hands and dial

The 861 movement.. what a beauty! It's a real waste to keep it hidden under a solid caseback. Aftermarket caseback from Thomas Preik.

IT'S ALIVE!

Some shots taken under bright natural lights!

Nothing wrong with that.

And it is a shame to hide the beautiful movement, but don't those Preik casebacks make it sit a little high? I can't from the photo's you've taken but they always struck me as a little 'bulky'.

Good job.

Journeyman
    Handsome fellow on that strap too.

Journeyman
    The ..*ahem*.. touched up hands and dial
    I am guessing that you aged the lume on the hands and dial posts - please can you tell me how you did this / what did you use.
    Looks very convincing

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Nothing wrong with that.
    And it is a shame to hide the beautiful movement, but don't those Preik casebacks make it sit a little high? I can't from the photo's you've taken but they always struck me as a little 'bulky'.
    Good job.
    Thanks Jon. Yes, the Preik caseback add a bit of height to the watch. I have had similar comments on it being too 'round' etc.
    I do not know of any alternative see through caseback for the Speedy and it is a well made caseback, so I decided to go for it.

Chye

Quote Originally Posted by thach View Post
    Handsome fellow on that strap too.
    Thanks! The strap's actually a lighter shade, more of a dirty mustard colour.

Chye

Quote Originally Posted by Stuie_UK View Post
    I am guessing that you aged the lume on the hands and dial posts - please can you tell me how you did this / what did you use.
    Looks very convincing
    Thanks!
    The formulae = Black coffee (no milk!) + fine paint brush + 10x loupe + steady hands
    I tried baking it in an oven because some chap on another forum claimed success using that method for another watch (not a Speedy but a still luminova dial). That did not work.
    I also tried asking for professional help to create the faux patina but was advised that the existing green C# Superluminova have a degree of translucency that allows base colors to "bleed" through other topical applications. I therefore decided to try the above formulae and see how it goes; will probably need to reapply it in 1-2 months time.

Chye

Journeyman
    Ah coffee ... interesting.

I read another article of Stewart Morley's 1969 Speedy restoration - He came up with an "ageing" idea after hearing about film set designers ageing a room to give that 1960's era by using ‘nicotine’ wash.

Ironically, the set designer was technically ‘wrong’ (AFAIK), this ‘nicotine’ wash shouldn't be called that – it’s the tar that makes that ‘old faded golden brown’ colour. 
So, I got an old clean margarine tub, (lid still on) cut a hole in the side and slid in a lit cigarette horizontally & let it burn. I did this multiple times. 
This left a tar residue on the inside of the tub. I then let it ‘air’ outside for a week or so.

Then, using a 0000 size sable artists brush, and a touch of water.. I used this residue to do some testing on glossy paper.. and voila.. several layers, allowing to dry between coats, created a really rich golden-brown-mottled-tobacco effect.. After plucking up the courage.. I set to work on the dial. The mottled, aged effect came up wonderfully.
    It's another idea i guess.
    You can see close up shots of how Stewart's turned out. I cannot zoom in close enough to your pictures to compare the results.

http://heuerville.wordpress.com/2013...ro-145-022-69/

Journeyman
    Off topic but as a side note Stewart Morley makes fantastic custom leather straps. Sets off a vintage Speedy very well

I bought this strap for when I finally get access to SC and track down a Speedmaster 321

http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/

Ah coffee ... interesting.

I read another article of Stewart Morley's 1969 Speedy restoration - He came up with an "ageing" idea after hearing about film set designers ageing a room to give that 1960's era by using ‘nicotine’ wash.

It's another idea i guess.
    You can see close up shots of how Stewart's turned out. I cannot zoom in close enough to your pictures to compare the results.

http://heuerville.wordpress.com/2013...ro-145-022-69/
    Hey, that's something new for me!
    May give it a go ....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chye View Post
    Nothing radical about this project (some would even say that the mods were redundant!) but I have always wanted a vintage Omega Speedmaster Broadarrow with a 861 movement.
    I could have gotten the 1957 replica/reissue (3594.50) but it came with imo a less attractive 1861 movement. As for the 861, I wanted the rose gold/brass version which I thought was the prettiest of the lot. Picky picky picky...
    Doing my maths, I therefore got myself a 3590.50 from one of the established Japanese vendors off Ebay (it even came with the original purchase receipt!) and some parts from Ofrei, and off it went to my regular watch technician.
    Here are some pictures of the parts and watch, and the end result (Pics taken with my IPhone 5..yeah, I really need to work on my photography skill!)

Brand new dial from Ofrei.
    Nice job Chye - I suspect this post would have recived more comments in watch talk - it is quite impressive!

Off topic but as a side note Stewart Morley makes fantastic custom leather straps. Sets off a vintage Speedy very well

I bought this strap for when I finally get access to SC and track down a Speedmaster 321

http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
    Not too many 321 Speedies on SC recently Stuie, so you aren't missing much - try a WTB thread I bought mine, (and later sold it!) via a WTB.

Can't go wrong with your proposed combination mate - here is my Ed White on a Heuerville, miss it!

Omega Speedmaster ST 105.003 by Rabc3, on Flickr

ATB,

Rob

Journeyman
    Very nice 105.003 Rob,

I like the way the aged patina on the plots matches the strap

Journeyman
    @ Rob

I assume a WTB is a Want To Buy thread / request.

I cannot see a section for this type of thread so is it best to create a WTB in Watch Talk ? Or is there another area I should post ?

thanks
    Stuart

Blog Entries
    Hi Stuart - there is a Want To Buy section of the forum, it has similar posting/time requirements to SC... WTB posts elsewhere are not allowed under the forum rules. Won't be long till you get there mate.

Rob

Journeyman
    Ah Thanks Rob,

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing any WTB posts.
    Oh well as you say not long now

Journeyman
    @Chye

Well everyday is a school day.

I was browsing through another forum and came across this novel method of how to age Lume on dial and hands.

You have to be verycareful and very brave not to "over cook it" - excuse the pun

http://omegaforums.net/threads/yikes...er-dial.14993/

I have been doing this myself.
    225 in a fan assisted oven for around 15 minutes works a treat.
    I have turned my 105.003 with modern dial into a 2915 lookalike, just waiting for the silver bezel.

Craftsman
    Super smart. I really like that. Well done.

Master
    Lovely project - well done!

@Chye
    Well everyday is a school day.
    I was browsing through another forum and came across this novel method of how to age Lume on dial and hands.
    You have to be verycareful and very brave not to "over cook it" - excuse the pun
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/yikes...er-dial.14993/
    I tried baking it before but it did not work for me.
    Hmmmmm, will have a go at it again.

Chye

Journeyman
    Wow, looks great. Well done.

Well done, clever fellow, I like it.
    C

Hmm do i risk baking the snoopy speedy dial that i am just about to build a franken with.
    Maybe not as it is a new case and new hands.
    Lovely broad arrow , was to be my other option ..

If someone is interested: I do have a spare Speedmaster professional dial I am willing to sell.

Master
    I think it is a brilliant result and looks great.

Thanks for all the positive comments!
    Now onto my next project.....!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeromeo View Post
    Hmm do i risk baking the snoopy speedy dial that i am just about to build a franken with.
    Maybe not as it is a new case and new hands.
    Lovely broad arrow , was to be my other option ..
    Don't bake the Snoopy dial; that would just be plain wrong. If you want to build an 'aged' Speedy I have a new 321 style dial with the 861 type feet (plus the 321 style chrono secs) which would be a better option. I'd swap these for the Snoopy dial if you really want do go down this route.

Craftsman
    Lovely project!!

Craftsman
    Very nicely done!