closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fitting an 8500 Planet Ocean Curved Rubber Strap to your Seamaster Professional 300M

Fitting an 8500 Planet Ocean Curved Rubber Strap to your Seamaster Professional 300M

I haven't got round to doing my usual 'new arrival' thread for my latest Omega Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80 yet (I know, another one ), but thought I'd post this up in the meantime to help out anyone who may fancy fitting one of Omega's modern straps to a Bond or similar cased SMP.

This is the last of the wave dial Bond's fitted to the new 8500 movement Planet Ocean Strap. While this is the 2220, it would be the same fitment for the other Bond's like the 2221, the 2531/2541 and the latest SMPc 212.30.41.20.03.001. This particular strap is the 20mm 98000421 which handily comes in blue, but if you prefer the black version, the 98000364 can also be fitted. This would be ideal for the black Bond, the 2264/2254, the 212.30.41.20.01.003 as well as the many 41mm cased SMP variants with 20mm lugs.

There are other genuine Omega curved straps specifically designed to fit the SMP's, but the Olympic 98000085 only comes in black, and the older ribbed design 97988082 in blue I found to be a bit of a hair puller, not that comfortable and hardens over time. I know many like the muscular look of the modern Planet Ocean Rubber Deployant Straps, but as the lugs are longer on the PO, most will tell you that they simply won't fit an SMP.

Here's what you need to aid fitment. The usual Omega springs bars have a diameter of 1.8mm. To to get this to work, you need 1.5mm diameter spring bars as pictured, with a gentle curve. I have a spring bar curving tool, but gently bending with your thumbs over the edge of a kitchen worktop would achieve the desired effect. Very little bend is required.

With these spring bars, fitment is very easy and they nicely slot in to the shorter lug holes of the SMP.

The straps are quite thick at the lug end, but not too high as to over power the case. It looks nice and flush. The only problem I've encountered is the fact that the bezel no longer turns easily, but as many will know, SMP bezels are rubbish to grip on to, so I rarely use it.

The Deployant Clasp used here is the titanium 94521839, but you could easily use other Omega Deployant's such as the polished 94521813 or the satin 94521833 in its place.

With regards to the strap itself, it's one of the most comfortable and supple rubber deployant straps that I've come across. It doesn't attract dust/lint, it's lightweight, and looks great with the addition of the synthetic stitching. In contrast to previous Ω rubber, the fitment at the lugs means the strap points downwards hugging the wrist more effectively rather than pointing outwards away from the wrist like many of their previous curved designs.

I hope the above info can help anyone out who, like me, was searching for a modern alternative for the SMP and thanks also to tz-uk member 'winster' who gave me the idea after picturing his 2254 on the black variant.

Thank you Ross for sharing.Clear and Concise as usual.

Master
    Have to say.... That does look very nice.. Good to have a few extra options when looking for these expensive omega straps..

Banned
    Looks be a great fit and goes really well with the watch.

Apprentice

Thanks!!

Just what I was looking for to fit a PO 20mm band on my SMP Professional, thanks!!!!!

Curved springbars ordered!

Craftsman
    Thanks for the info, can you also advise on the length of spring bars, please?

Apprentice

Midsize version

Hi Ross, that combo is great. I love the new style straps, especially the way they sit flush with the case of the watch... I was wondering if I could pick your brain? I've just bought a 36mm version of the new style Diver 300m, and really want to put exactly the same style strap on it as you've got there. Would I be able to fit, for example, the strap from the 37mm PO titanium watch with the blue dial (232.92.38.20.03.001) onto my midsize Diver? I asked the chap in the AD I bought it from in London if I would be able to and he said absolutely not... He even rang Omega in front of me and they said no too. But... I saw your post and it ignited a flicker of hope in my heart! Another AD said I can buy the clasp and the strap through them for £170 a piece, which seems about right...
    Anyway, sorry to prod a post you made over two years ago. Yours is the only example I can find of exactly what I want to do!
    Cheers,
    Lewis
    Last edited by Ldrowlands; 1st February 2017 at 23:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldrowlands View Post
    Hi Ross, that combo is great. I love the new style straps, especially the way they sit flush with the case of the watch... I was wondering if I could pick your brain? I've just bought a 36mm version of the new style Diver 300m, and really want to put exactly the same style strap on it as you've got there. Would I be able to fit, for example, the strap from the 37mm PO titanium watch with the blue dial (232.92.38.20.03.001) onto my midsize Diver? I asked the chap in the AD I bought it from in London if I would be able to and he said absolutely not... He even rang Omega in front of me and they said no too. But... I saw your post and it ignited a flicker of hope in my heart! Another AD said I can buy the clasp and the strap through them for £170 a piece, which seems about right...
    Anyway, sorry to prod a post you made over two years ago. Yours is the only example I can find of exactly what I want to do!
    Cheers,
    Lewis
    Hi Lewis,

Sorry for the late reply. I can't tell you what you want to hear with any certainty, after all, the case sizes and lug widths are different from my example.

Based on the assumption that the 36mm SMPc and the 37.5mm PO both have 18mm lugs, then I see no reason why the same as my original post shouldn't apply. Change the spring bars to 18mm, curved 1.5mm diameter ones, and I suspect you'll achieve the same outcome.

It is however, a £340 gamble should they not fit, but I suppose there's a chance of taking them back unused or sell them on elsewhere should it not work out.

If it was me, I'd go for it, but please ensure first that both the mid size SMPc and the 37.5 PO both have 18mm lug widths giving you the best chance of it working out. Being proficient with a strap changing tool is also a must, as a bit of a wrestle may be required.

All the best with it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Ross, that's as concrete as I think it's going to get for me before I take the plunge and find out myself! Really appreaciate you taking the time to help me try and figure it out, thanks very much. I'll report back once I've tried it out. Wish me luck!

Apprentice

Sorted!

Thanks again for your tips Ross. Got my new strap today, and took me, a complete amateur, 10 minutes to fit. Feels and looks great! Bezel is very stiff, but that's ok. Didn't need the curved springs in the end, fits great with the straight ones that came with the metal strap. Not sure how to include photos here, but it's perfect! Thanks again, wouldn't have attempted it had I not found your excellent post.

Excellent Lewis, that's great news, and even better that the mid-size fits without the need for smaller or curved spring bars.

Enjoy buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldrowlands View Post
    Thanks again for your tips Ross. Got my new strap today, and took me, a complete amateur, 10 minutes to fit. Feels and looks great! Bezel is very stiff, but that's ok. Didn't need the curved springs in the end, fits great with the straight ones that came with the metal strap. Not sure how to include photos here, but it's perfect! Thanks again, wouldn't have attempted it had I not found your excellent post.
    There is a sticky on posting pics. Be good to see it.
    It's just a matter of time...