closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Bay Blue

In the summer edition of the French magazine 'Montres' they state the price of the blue Black Bay as € 2530 on a leather strap and € 2780 on a steel bracelet.

The £2,770 Pelagos price was what my local AD quoted 4 or 5 months ago. However he couldn't get me one as Rolex had stopped supplying them to ADs in the build up for the official September launch.

How does the black bay wear in comparison to the likes of a SMP? Is the lug to lug measurement much more?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    How does the black bay wear in comparison to the likes of a SMP? Is the lug to lug measurement much more?
    Never worn an SMP but very comfortable and wears smaller than the PRS-82 I had on when I had the chance to try it. Very comfortable on my 7 1/2" list.
    Last edited by StuS; 24th July 2014 at 21:23.

The Black Bay does seem like a nice sensible size.

These are now 2,300 from iconic with the bracelet. Seems a lot to me given the generic movement, do others think they are really worth the dosh? How does their value compare to equivalent priced watch, an Omega SMP ceramic for example?
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 13th August 2014 at 17:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    These look lovely put how will the ETA parts restriction saga affect Tudor? I assume they will also be unable to acquire parts after 2015.
    An interesting question; has anyone asked Rolex for comment on this? No point investing the best part of £3k in a brand new watch (as opposed to vintage) that no-one can service.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    The Black Bay does seem like a nice sensible size.

These are now 2,300 from iconic with the bracelet. Seems a lot to me given the generic movement, do others think they are really worth the dosh?
    A retro sports watch with an in-house movement is going to cost at least twice that (Omega, Rolex, Zenith) so I don't think that price is out of bounds (to my mind, they are all extremely expensive but I'm not the target market for any of them!). Its movement is decorated and slightly modified, and not "generic", straight from ETA with decoration a la Glycine/VSA. Even IWC's £4,650 Ingenieur has a fairly standard ETA 2892, made to IWC standards by ETA.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    A retro sports watch with an in-house movement is going to cost at least twice that (Omega, Rolex, Zenith) so I don't think that price is out of bounds (to my mind, they are all extremely expensive but I'm not the target market for any of them!). Its movement is decorated and slightly modified, and not "generic", straight from ETA with decoration a la Glycine/VSA. Even IWC's £4,650 Ingenieur has a fairly standard ETA 2892, made to IWC standards by ETA.
    Thanks for explaining this Andrew, that makes the price seem a bit more palatable, but it also makes the Precista PRS-82 seem like a REAL retro-diver bargain.

PRS-82 is nice but Tudor is in different league.
    Whether the price differential is justified or not is a matter of opinion.
    That's why certain micro brands are so good as they offer real quality at affordable prices like a lot of Eddie's offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post

PRS-82 is nice but Tudor is in different league.
    Whether the price differential is justified or not is a matter of opinion.
    That's why certain micro brands are so good as they offer real quality at affordable prices like a lot of Eddie's offerings.
    Just curious because I've never seen a Tudor, what makes the difference - is it the fit and finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Just curious because I've never seen a Tudor, what makes the difference - is it the fit and finish?
    In a word,yes!

I took delivery of this red Tudor Black Bay yesterday. My first dive watch, delighted with it.

I've got to admit, that looks sensational.

You certainly live up to your namesake.

They are nice, shame about that fugly hour hand though...

Blog Entries
    The hour hand characterises Tudor. I think it makes the BB and Pelagos.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Agreed - their defining charateristic, the snowflake hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy Devil View Post
    I took delivery of this red Tudor Black Bay yesterday. My first dive watch, delighted with it.

Stunning. whats the UK rrp of this one?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    They are nice, shame about that fugly hour hand though...
    You really need to look at the history of Tudor watches in that case I see you have Panerai on your signature so its like having a Luminor without that ugly crown guard or a Rad without the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Not a fan of the red BB, but for me the Ice Blue one is a killer. I would have preferred Snowflake indices as well (but hey, that's me). But still, great!

Craftsman
    That look a awesome! I liked the red but that blue bezel looks better id say!
    Looks slightly vintage in a way as the rolexes fade from black to grey/blues so yeah Id say it looks very nice...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, is there a hint of blue when you pull the crown out too?

Master

Smile

Always been a fan of Tudor over Rolex, I love the Pelagos, but the new blue Tudor is something else.
    Great photo.

Master
    The PRS-82 was the first watch to get me really hooked pre launch and I do love it and it gets a lot of wrist time. I suppose that this is a similar style and my mind is now made up after moving a few watches on that this will be my first AD purchase and I am sure will definitely be a keeper.

Only a month to wait!!

Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    The PRS-82 was the first watch to get me really hooked pre launch and I do love it and it gets a lot of wrist time. I suppose that this is a similar style and my mind is now made up after moving a few watches on that this will be my first AD purchase and I am sure will definitely be a keeper.

Only a month to wait!!
    I too have an 82, my favourite watch, I really like this Tudor and would love one for my collection.
    Don't forget to show some pictures :)

If only they had matched the dial to the bezel insert...

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/tudor-he...0b-watch-2014/
    Gray

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    If only they had matched the dial to the bezel insert...

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/tudor-he...0b-watch-2014/
    Great write up and pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post

Only a month to wait!!
    I'll be interested to hear how you think it compares, given that the Tudor is 7x the cost of the Precista!

One thing I like about the '82 is knowing that it was the product of a labour of love to bring about a historical reissue. I like the history of Tudor watches too but (for me) they don't have the same 'indie' quality.

Craftsman
    I had a Red Black Bay earlier this year and loved every minute of owning it , I moved it on to buy a genuine snowflake. I only really liked it on the leather though. I thought that on the bracelet it became another Sub clone. And when I got the Snowflake I put it straight onto a vintage leather Nato.

I think the red with the gold is the killer combo to go for!

The reason I say that, is that this weekend I got to see the Blue Black bay in person for the first time and while it is a great watch, I was a little underwhelmed with the colour. I thought it was quite non-descript and would certainly fly under the radar.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408266518.028538.jpg

Personally, this is a good thing for me, as I was sorely tempted to have twins but I think I prefer the Pelagos

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408266526.798910.jpg

Also observed that the prices have increased quite a bit since the Original Black Bay was launched as the bracelet version is now €2,760 versus €2,150 ish in 2012. I think Rolex will need to be careful as I think Tudor's have been well priced but I think any higher and it will impact on their sales big time.

Journeyman
    I haven't seen any Tudors in person yet, but all the pictures look fantastic. I had my fingers crossed that the new model would be a blue Pelagos.