closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PRS-18Q...thoughts and pics

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Just received mine today on one of Eddies orange Bond NATOs. What an awesome watch. I bought it as a work beater and over the next few months it's likely to take a bit of a battering while I'm away working somewhere hot and sandy.

That looks good with the orange detailing

Craftsman
    Great review!!

Craftsman
    Great review and pics. Sorry if I missed it but are you using a pukka macro lens or.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaunty View Post
    Great review and pics. Sorry if I missed it but are you using a pukka macro lens or.....?
    Cheers mate. I did use a macro lens for some of the shots. This one in fact...

...Canon EF-S 60mm. Had it a few years now and it's proved to be a handy little bit of kit.

Apprentice
    Hello Everybody,
    Here is one new stunning PRS-18Q in France !
    A huge surprise for me to get this one ... I was talking about watches for days n'd my wife finished to offer me this 282/13 yesterday !
    Quite amazing watch, real piece of metal, love it !
    Thanks to Time Factor !
    Regards,
    TaKoS

Journeyman
    Chaps, how does the 18q wear on a 7" wrist? Too small or just right ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigup View Post
    Chaps, how does the 18q wear on a 7" wrist? Too small or just right ?
    Just right! It's an ultra comfortable watch with just the right size. I've been told that a lot of times before I got mine but was still very surprised by the way it wears. I'm going through a quartz phase, or a "can't be bothered to wind and set watches every morning" and the 18q is worn a lot of the days of the week. It's in a rotation with pretty much only two other watches.

So go for it, you'll love! It's even better in the flesh than on the best pictures you see here. IMO, obviously...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutusov View Post
    Just right! It's an ultra comfortable watch with just the right size. I've been told that a lot of times before I got mine but was still very surprised by the way it wears. I'm going through a quartz phase, or a "can't be bothered to wind and set watches every morning" and the 18q is worn a lot of the days of the week. It's in a rotation with pretty much only two other watches.

So go for it, you'll love! It's even better in the flesh than on the best pictures you see here. IMO, obviously...
    Thanks mate. I've never had a nato so unsure what colour to go for. You think black to start with?

I'd like to wear it under a shirt to work too you see

Oh and I tried to buy last night but time factor site said its closed and only open 3 days a week for ordering, guess il have to wait till Tuesday.

Master
    Thanks mate. I've never had a nato so unsure what colour to go for. You think black to start with?

Oh and I tried to buy last night but time factor site said its closed and only open 3 days a week for ordering, guess il have to wait till Tuesday.
    It's quite a compact size lug to lug and looks great in most colour Nato's black,olive,grey and green etc...
    What I would say is if you want to wear it under a shirt cuff, it does sit quite high especially on a Nato.
    Just a thought.

NATO straps will make it sit higher, especially if you wear them like they come. You can cut them RAF style by removing the extra bit that goes under the watch. You'll still have the folding lump on the side of the wrist...

I'm possibly one of the worst guys to ask about NATO straps... I like to see them on pictures and I like the idea of them but I really can't get along wearing them. I also know nothing about dress codes and office-wear but I would go with a dark coloured one. Black is always safe, dark grey (admiralty grey) should look great.

I wear mine on a black 2 piece Hadley Roma Cordura strap that you can see in some picture further back on this thread. I think it looks great, it's very comfortable and well made and adds no bulk to the watch.

That being said, a NATO strap is cheap, so I think you should give it a try and see how you like it. In fact I think it comes included with the watch?

I was wearing mine with the Speedbird NATO yesterday and it looked great (no pic sorry). I think it looked better on something striped and not a block colour.. Def prefer it on the RAF pattern with the extra bit removed.

Saying all that, looks great on Eddie's Navy Blue too….

Not so keen on block grey… but Eddie's new batch would probably look loads better than this.

Master
    ^^^Great photos ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    ^^^Great photos ^^^
    Thanks mate! I must do more of the 18… keep meaning to.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    I think it looked better on something striped
    I agree, the striped straps I've tried all worked well. However, it's such a great looking watch, it can wear almost anything.

Here it is on the TF Coyote Brown:

Journeyman
    Such a cracking looking watch. If the car wasn't in for an MOT and service then this would be the day. Alas, I shall have to wait just a little longer before I get my mitts on one! - Here's hoping the car sails through...

If you want a nylon, military looking strap but can't get used to all the hardware and long tail on a NATO, you can try this US mil-spec type of one pice straps:

These are from the Premium range of Clockwork Synergy and are a little bit thicker than the usual ones which tend to be a bit on thin side (meant for lighter watches, as many military watches nowadays are made of plastic). That long keeper is fixed and you can fold and tuck back all the extra tail in there. Does the same job as a NATO, meaning that if a springbar breaks, the watch will still be held on to your wrist.

There aren't so many colour/patterns options for these sort of straps, though.

Polished strap hardware is infra dig on a watch with a bead blasted finish.

You can take a green pad of Scotchbrite to it, it will look something in between a sandblasted finish and a heavy brushed one. Here's one next to the 18 (sorry for the ultra crappy mobile pic, I don't know if you can tell anything from it):

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutusov View Post
    You can take a green pad of Scotchbrite to it, it will look something in between a sandblasted finish and a heavy brushed one. Here's one next to the 18 (sorry for the ultra crappy mobile pic, I don't know if you can tell anything from it):

That strap on the 18 looks nice, kind of petrol blue.
    Where did you purchase it from please.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    That strap on the 18 looks nice, kind of petrol blue.
    Where did you purchase it from please.
    It's black, it's the camera oversaturating and overexposing the blacks. It's an Hadley Roma Cordura and can be found on ebay. You can get them within the UK from westonwatchstraps. I find it one of the best alternatives to dive watches... as you can probably figure out from this

You can also get them in tan or green. The green is greener than it looks on most seller's pictures, at least from what I've discussed with other members.

Master
    Great group photo, thanks for info on strap.

Craftsman
    I don't know how I missed this post at the time, but that is a great review. Thank you!
    So much so that I will almost certainly get an 18Q.

I also have a Citizen BN0000, but the 18Q will sit well in the collection.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by river27 View Post
    I don't know how I missed this post at the time, but that is a great review. Thank you!
    So much so that I will almost certainly get an 18Q.

I also have a Citizen BN0000, but the 18Q will sit well in the collection.
    Thank you.
    Ah cheers mate, I'm glad the review is still proving useful! Yeah if you find the BN0000 is comfy on you, you should get on great with the 18Q.

Craftsman
    Yes I will get an 18Q very soon.
    Thanks again for your review.

I absolutely love this watch! Congrats and wear it in good health! Great pics, too! Thanks for sharing!

I'm also a big fan of the 18Q, I use it as my mountain biking watch and beater, it's solid, doesn't weigh too much and easily read at a glance. My PRS-82 gets worn as my work watch, goes well with a suit but tough enough for the real world too. Here they are side by side on my 7.25" wrist.
    Steve

Craftsman

Cool

still loving mine currently on a Hirsch Liberty !!

Thought I'd add this here, just because it's my favorite watch story bar none :

PRS18 Q 1000ft crush test

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...t=fishing+boat

Great story and one more real proof about the quality of this watch. Thanks for sharing!