closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031
Results 1,501 to 1,536 of 1536

Thread: TOTALLY RUBBISH films you've watched recently...

In desperation for something new I watched The Grey Man on Netflix. Up there in the top five worst films I've ever seen.
    Paper thin plot is just top cover for endless CGI set pieces, the dialogue appears to have been written by a child and what narrative there actually is is nothing more than a smorgasbord of plot lines from other films and video games, notably the Bourne movies but also a bit of Bond, Hitman and others. Genuinely pants

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    In desperation for something new I watched The Grey Man on Netflix. Up there in the top five worst films I've ever seen.
    Paper thin plot is just top cover for endless CGI set pieces, the dialogue appears to have been written by a child and what narrative there actually is is nothing more than a smorgasbord of plot lines from other films and video games, notably the Bourne movies but also a bit of Bond, Hitman and others. Genuinely pants

I got 15mins into it before we ditched it.

Master
    Hypnotic - avoid at all costs

2023 film with Ben Affleck- imagine a made for TV film where someone told them (them being 1st year film students) the basic principles of Taken and Inception

I watched the whole thing just to see if its really as bad as it was looking......... truly dreadful
    Last edited by westberks; 3rd April 2024 at 08:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I watched Quadrophenia last night as I'd never seen it.

Aside from spotting famous British TV actors, it was dire and I have to say it's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

A horrible vanity exercise for The Who...

M
    if you are of a certain age and background it has a lot of relevance and was of its time.

Watching it 45 years later without that frame of reference probably doesn't do the film justice

Master
    Apocalypse now.
    A really awful film which reached its Nadir with Marlon Bramdo mumbling in the dark

We started watching Ricky Stanicky but turned it off after about 45 minutes, as bad a film as I've seen in a long time.

Didn't realise Jeff Bezos bought MGM as there's been a couple of Amazon/MGM productions lately (the updated Roadhouse being another). Doesn't bode well if this is the quality they are turning out.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    We started watching Ricky Stanicky but turned it off after about 45 minutes, as bad a film as I've seen in a long time.

Didn't realise Jeff Bezos bought MGM as there's been a couple of Amazon/MGM productions lately (the updated Roadhouse being another). Doesn't bode well if this is the quality they are turning out.
    You did well I managed 4.5 minutes truly dreadful

I seem to recall in the good old days they had 'Test Screenings' which would have counted walk out rate at 75% + obviously not anymore

Watched the latest Kong vs Godzilla film last night. It's not going to be winning any Oscars.

Master
    Watched Babylon last night. I am half way thru and its a fairly fun but silly ride with very little plot. I'll carry on and watch it all tonight but think the poor reviews are accurate, Margot at least is good in it.

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Apocalypse now.
    A really awful film which reached its Nadir with Marlon Bramdo mumbling in the dark
    One of the greatest films of all time. The ending was butchered against FFC’ will several times and did make that part challenging but the director’s cut released a few years later made it what it should always have been.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    if you are of a certain age and background it has a lot of relevance and was of its time.

Watching it 45 years later without that frame of reference probably doesn't do the film justice
    Well, I'm certainly of that age (a teenager when it was released) and it was always a film that somehow passed me by, which is why I made a point of watching it.

Having watched it, I can't help thinking that it must be a very niche frame of reference.

The Who were old hat in 1979, I do remember a bit of a Mod revival (The Jam, of course, The Lambrettas, lots kids in Parkas with roundels on the back), but even so, the film is a mess.

The only bit that appeared, very briefly, to hang together, was the trouble in Brighton.

It's probably a film that will have good memories for some, but it's not stood the test of time.

I stick by my comments.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 4th April 2024 at 09:23.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post

It was tacky, but just what we needed as we’re too tired to concentrate on anything decent.

Some good belly laughs especially the air d*cking as have been in presentations where people have done it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U3l_rUpRcqY

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Well, I'm certainly of that age (a teenager when it was released) and it was always a film that somehow passed me by, which is why I made a point of watching it.

Having watched it, I can't help thinking that it must be a very niche frame of reference.

The Who were old hat in 1979, I do remember a bit of a Mod revival (The Jam, of course, The Lambrettas, lots kids in Parkas with roundels on the back), but even so, the film is a mess.

The only bit that appeared, very briefly, to hang together, was the trouble in Brighton.

It's probably a film that will have good memories for some, but it's not stood the test of time.

I stick by my comments.

M
    all fair points; I've not watched it for over 40 years.

Probably felt a lot cooler to a 13 year old in the midst of the mod revival and was more likely the target audience at the time; which was probably more my point but worded badly. I don't think i'd consider re-watching it now though; probably class it in the same category as Grease which was of a similar vintage and equally poor viewing now :)

Master
    Echoing the previous comments about Road House. As Nan would say "what a load of shit" Maybe if they had called it something else like 'Big Trouble in Key West' instead of trying to claim it was a remake........No, still would have been awful

When I reviewed Road House as 'OK', I forgot to ask WTH Jake Gylenhall was doing in it. I was building the opinion that if he was in a film, it was generally good.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    When I reviewed Road House as 'OK', I forgot to ask WTH Jake Gylenhall was doing in it. I was building the opinion that if he was in a film, it was generally good.
    You've obviously not seen Prince of Persia Sands of time then !

Saltburn. Indescribably terrible on every level.

Master
    I hate being this negative as a movie fan, but Hollywood has lost the plot!
    Of all the movies I've watched in the past couple of months (a lot longer, probably), I can rave over and recommend maybe half a dozen, almost all lower budget and indie titles.

Everything I've been excited over (the Marvels project, Ghostbusters, Road House, Godzilla X Kong and TONS more) have promised everything in the trailers and delivered nothing. It's either sub-par or mediocre acting, half finished stories or just agenda pushing 'woke' nonsense.

Godzilla X Kong....what in the holy hell? This looked so good in the trailers and it's horrible, I can't believe I sat and finished the whole screening. Godzilla had about five minutes screen time... this was supposed to be the big Kaiju team-up-and-destroy that we'd been promised. And even more frustrating that in comes off the back of the (totally unrelated) Japanese made Godzilla Minus One which was made on a shoestring budget and was EXCELLENT from Start to finish.

What's next? Deadpool looks fantastic, but there are rumours that Disney exec's are meddling with reshoots and post production shenanigans trying to tone down the content. If this happens people will riot, there's a reason the last two 18 rated movies did so well. I'm beginning to despair. What happened to just making a good movie for people to enjoy??

Journeyman
    Roadhouse was so terrible. It was stupid in fact

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post

At first I thought that it was about John Major, till I read the rest of what you had typed.

Journeyman
    The mother - with Jay-Lo

Master
    Expendables

gave up after the first 10 minutes - the dialogue is neanderthal and the camera work, lock and load and "banter" is so childish.

As others have said, watched RoadHouse at the weekend with the family after ranting about it all week. How disappointing, and whoever thought Conor McGregor could act wants firing!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Saltburn. Indescribably terrible on every level.
    Really? I'd say disgusting and disturbing in parts, but brilliant overall. Some stunning acting and dialogue.

Master
    Argyle on Apple TV. It may be free to watch, but you won't get your time back.

The main issue is the script, which for far too long leaves you wondering if anything is real, completely taking you out of the movie. All the other departments fail too. Once it gets past a predictable twist things improve very slightly, but it's too little too late.

Argylle

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by A440 View Post
    Really? I'd say disgusting and disturbing in parts, but brilliant overall. Some stunning acting and dialogue.
    Sorry, not my take at all.

I really liked the cinematography and the lighting, but the rest of it? It was trying so hard to be Brideshead's high-cheekboned bad-boy big brother, full of a desperation to shock.

And then there's the script. It features a protagonist who is smart and resourceful, and really envious of someone cooler, smarter, more attractive and crucially, much wealthier than they are. Our protagonist then stays for a long period at the posh friend's posh family home and worms their way into their friend's life even more. Then there's a fallout between the protagonist and the posh friend, which forces the protagonist to do Unspeakable Things so they never have to go back to their sad lonely previous existence. Except that I've just outlined the plot of The Talented Mr Ripley, which is essentially the same film, only a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Sorry, not my take at all.

I really liked the cinematography and the lighting, but the rest of it? It was trying so hard to be Brideshead's high-cheekboned bad-boy big brother, full of a desperation to shock.

And then there's the script. It features a protagonist who is smart and resourceful, and really envious of someone cooler, smarter, more attractive and crucially, much wealthier than they are. Our protagonist then stays for a long period at the posh friend's posh family home and worms their way into their friend's life even more. Then there's a fallout between the protagonist and the posh friend, which forces the protagonist to do Unspeakable Things so they never have to go back to their sad lonely previous existence. Except that I've just outlined the plot of The Talented Mr Ripley, which is essentially the same film, only a lot better.
    Genuinely thanks for that... the wife and I turned it off after about 20 minutes or so, seemed to be shaping up exactly as you describe...but I´ve been wondering in passing if I´d missed something worth watching, though my gut feeling was NO...and you´ve just put it to bed, excellent, cheers.
    Agree TTMR set the bar good and high for all such movies, some of Damon's most nuanced work imho.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Genuinely thanks for that... the wife and I turned it off after about 20 minutes or so, seemed to be shaping up exactly as you describe...but I´ve been wondering in passing if I´d missed something worth watching, though my gut feeling was NO...and you´ve just put it to bed, excellent, cheers.
    Agree TTMR set the bar good and high for all such movies, some of Damon's most nuanced work imho.
    i subjected myself to Saltburn after chatting to a younger friend who loved it...

what a croc of pretentious shite! bastardized mash up of Talented Mr Ripley and Downtown Abbey in the current day. Admittedly beautifully shot and a great cast; but the story was ridiculous with no comeback to any of the incidents and then a half arsed recap/summary at the end that did little to explain why this uber rich and Machiavellian family were taken in by this guy; even after they found out his back story was bullshit.

all for show and some of the hammy overacting, for me, was cringe-worthy

Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    i subjected myself to Saltburn after chatting to a younger friend who loved it...

what a croc of pretentious shite! bastardized mash up of Talented Mr Ripley and Downtown Abbey in the current day. Admittedly beautifully shot and a great cast; but the story was ridiculous with no comeback to any of the incidents and then a half arsed recap/summary at the end that did little to explain why this uber rich and Machiavellian family were taken in by this guy; even after they found out his back story was bullshit.

all for show and some of the hammy overacting, for me, was cringe-worthy
    Good to know I´m not alone...Bit edgy maybe this, but I wasn´t blown away by Dune 2, not rubbish, certainly watchable but somehow lacking grandeur, drama... maybe it´s because I´ve read the books, so know the source material possibly too well and while it certainly looks hokey now I´ve fond memories of the ´84 movie.
    Also I personally don´t rate Zendaya as all that an actress, seems to play the same role here, Peter Parkers girlfriend...Didn´t think the guy playing Feyd Rautha brought the necessary depraved menace either. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    At first I thought that it was about John Major, till I read the rest of what you had typed.
    I started watching this a couple of nights ago and realised, a few minutes in, that I'd seen it - Sums it up pretty well that I'd forgotten it in a few months.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The Circle

Tom Hanks. Emma Watson. Facebook/Google techno-thriller.

On Netflix. Jesus, it’s shit.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    The Circle

Tom Hanks. Emma Watson. Facebook/Google techno-thriller.

On Netflix. Jesus, it’s shit.
    Pretty decent book though imho.

Quote Originally Posted by A440 View Post
    Agree

Blog Entries
    Watched the Prime version of Roadhouse and whilst Jake Gyllenhaal is a likable hero, the film is totally charmless - much like Conor McGregor seems to be.

Whatever the 4th Expendables film is called, it's a total crock of smelly stuff. I enjoyed the previous ones on a 'brains off' mode, but the 4th one is horrifically bad.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day