closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed test anyone?

Speed test anyone?

Share your speed tests here:

No. Well, okay mine's 18Mbs which is very good for ADSL, but Talktalk just aren't installing cable near me. When they do it'll only be 38Mbs max.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3609184308
    Last edited by Glamdring; 7th July 2014 at 13:37.

Quote Originally Posted by sonyman View Post
    That link is borked for me in TapaTalk at least.

Quote Originally Posted by xenon View Post
    Share your speed tests here:
    Another Bristol boy then eh?
    Nice to see!
    Johnny.

Recently installed Sky Fibre unlimited. Previously only getting about 3mbs on normal broadband.
    Not great considering I live in a city and we don't have Virgin

Another Sky Fibre user. This is about as good as it gets for me, and it does go down to 17/18Mbps when demand is higher than on a Sunday morning!

Blog Entries
    Installed the new Sky hub Yesterday and the fibre optic is set to go live on the 11th averaging 2mbps download &.98 upload at the mo (we are at the end of the string and tin can) so if I get the estimated 17+ i will be happy.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Just gave it a try.

On virgin media, here in Suffolk

Just has BT infinity upgrade (fibre to the cab) getting about 50Mb/s down and 5Mb/s up. Frankly in real life it make little difference. The web sites that were slow to load before the upgrade are no better now.

Duplicate post ignore.
    Last edited by alan2273; 6th July 2014 at 12:14.

I have no landline at the moment so this is using a EE Mifi.

Craftsman

Looks pretty good according to above, but it seems piss poor when making Lync calls with audio up and down like a brides nighty :/

Mine is a lot slower than most above (all above I think)but for what I use it for it's more than plenty.

When streaming films there is no buffering. Listening to Spotify is fine too.

I just don't see the need to upgrade and pay £40 a month when I can pay £20 and it meets my needs.
    Last edited by jegger; 6th July 2014 at 19:36.

Still only half of what I was promised

John..

Master

I just upgraded my package with Virgin to "upto 152mb", only to later find my laptop has something like a 45mb maximum card inside!, luckily package did not cost me anything but i did not realise iPads, iphones and laptops all had limitations due to internal cards etc - lesson learned.

Craftsman
    Plusnet Fibre. 51MB download & 19MB upload.

Master
    My connection from a large central London office of a NASDAQ listed firm. Pretty crappy to be honest.

Just because I can...

try again...

seems pretty stable...

Mustn't be many students or staff in at the moment :-)

Cheers,

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Just because I can...

Well, if we're going to do that...

Quote Originally Posted by ssahyeong View Post

I knew there would be one - which reminds me, I really must see about upgrading our link :-)

That's pretty good - it's faster than I used to get when I was at Reading Uni (most of the time):

That was just after I upgraded us from 2 x 1 Gig to 2 x 10 Gig (but shared between 20000 people - so was better at some times than others).

I need to do the same for Heriot-Watt - but other projects are more pressing (and we're not hurting yet).

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by ssahyeong View Post

I knew there would be one - which reminds me, I really must see about upgrading our link :-)

That's pretty good - it's faster than I used to get when I was at Reading Uni (most of the time):

That was just after I upgraded us from 2 x 1 Gig to 2 x 10 Gig (but shared between 20000 people - so was better at some times than others).

I need to do the same for Heriot-Watt - but other projects are more pressing (and we're not hurting yet).

Actually - just retested pointing at a different server and it looks like I may be being limited by the far end...

Ah yes... that's better...

And just to show that the far end server really does make a difference...

I'll stop now :-)

Cheers,
    Last edited by markc; 8th July 2014 at 15:55.

Master
    Digging up a slightly aged thread but I've just run a test and my BT broadband is returning :

Download speed 0.97 Mbps
    Upload speed 0.34 Mbps

The BT infinity site tells me they are accepting orders but the main BT site says fibre optic services are not available in my little corner of rural Somerset.

I know I need to wait but does anyone have any ideas how I can increase the woefully poor connection speeds until BT finally get around to sorting things? Just bought a X Box One and everything seems to expect fibre optic type connections and updates/downloads are taking 10's of hours. This is painful!

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Digging up a slightly aged thread but I've just run a test and my BT broadband is returning :

Download speed 0.97 Mbps
    Upload speed 0.34 Mbps

The BT infinity site tells me they are accepting orders but the main BT site says fibre optic services are not available in my little corner of rural Somerset.

I know I need to wait but does anyone have any ideas how I can increase the woefully poor connection speeds until BT finally get around to sorting things? Just bought a X Box One and everything seems to expect fibre optic type connections and updates/downloads are taking 10's of hours. This is painful!
    You're about the same speed as me. When my BT contract is up, I shall be signing up with these folk

http://www.wessexinternet.com/

Is there anything similar in your patch? Most of the houses in our village have sprouted the little white receiver dishes. Its reportedly very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Still only half of what I was promised

John..

Well, It's improved somewhat..

John

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    You're about the same speed as me. When my BT contract is up, I shall be signing up with these folk

http://www.wessexinternet.com/

Is there anything similar in your patch? Most of the houses in our village have sprouted the little white receiver dishes. Its reportedly very reliable.
    That's the sort of magic I was wondering about David. Wessex don't seem to operate where I am but there may well be something similar. A damp piece of string and some old tin funnels would probably do a better job than the ridiculously slow BT arrangement I currently have.

That's the sort of magic I was wondering about David. Wessex don't seem to operate where I am but there may well be something similar. A damp piece of string and some old tin funnels would probably do a better job than the ridiculously slow BT arrangement I currently have.

I have BT infinity in my part of rural Wilts and every so often get up to 25Mb on the down load and 10Mb on the upload, but to be honest it's so intermittent I am not sure why I bothered.

Today its currently running at around 1.8Mb on the down and about 400k on the upload.

Disappointing, but I live in hope.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I have BT infinity in my part of rural Wilts and every so often get up to 25Mb on the down load and 10Mb on the upload, but to be honest it's so intermittent I am not sure why I bothered.

Today its currently running at around 1.8Mb on the down and about 400k on the upload.

Disappointing, but I live in hope.
    Oh dear. Is that what I have to look forward to?

Craftsman

Contemplating the upgrade to the Big Kahuna bundle...

Master
    Oh well.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/3932777954.png
    Measly to say the least. Forget fluid video streaming even at thumbnail size. Our phone line could handle about 16 Mbit/sec it seems, but Orange have purposely limited every connection to the local DSLAM box to 2 Mbit/sec. Changing providers does not help as it's the only DSLAM we have in our village of 180 souls and the orange boys and girls control it.
    Mobile phone reception is not better - it actually got worse here since all providers started spending on 4G in urban areas. So now we have no 3G where we did have it a while ago. Even straight GSM (2G) is marginal at best, you can get 2 bars if you climb on the garden shed and stand on one leg holding your phone over your head, mr Bean style. (I exaggerate. It works just as bad when standing on two legs.) The next minute, reception is gone as someone else made a call and the relay transceiver couldn't handle that.

Upgraded from BT/EE copper to EE Mobile this weekend. Used to get about 1.5GB on a good day.

A

Download speed 0.97 Mbps
    Upload speed 0.34 Mbps

What's your 3G signal like where you are? When I moved into my house we were between ISPs so I bought a 3G mifi , it's a small internet signal generator , you buy a data sim and it broadcasts a wifi signal, works pretty well... I can't remember the name of it now... I still have it, your quite welcome to try it if you want, you just need to buy a data sim for it( payg , a 15gig for £20 was what we used)
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    What's your 3G signal like where you are? When I moved into my house we were between ISPs so I bought a 3G mifi , it's a small internet signal generator , you buy a data sim and it broadcasts a wifi signal, works pretty well... I can't remember the name of it now... I still have it, your quite welcome to try it if you want, you just need to buy a data sim for it( payg , a 15gig for £20 was what we used)
    Thanks Jason, that's very kind.

The 3g signal is worse than the broadband and in fact I have a internet enabled 3g booster connected to my wifi network or I can't use my mobile in the house.

I'm starting to feel technologically disadvantaged!

No worries, that's a shame...
    We also had 'radio broadband' like in that link until recently, it was pretty good, needs like of sight to the transmitter though....
    Cheers..
    Jase

This is happening all to often with Sky

In all the years we were with BT, the serviced never dropped out once, It's a regular event with Sky!!

It's happening so often that i'll be changing soon

John...

Just tested again and the upload speed is much faster than the download speed

John..

Well- It's as chageable as the wife's moods

John..

Bit disappointing, but that's over wifi, rather than ethernet, so my home PC (this is my work laptop) usually tops 150MB download.

It's usable though...

ETA

Ethernet version

M
    Last edited by snowman; 29th July 2015 at 11:39.

'Osprey 2' mobile wifi dongle from EE:

The land line:

Last edited by hogthrob; 28th July 2015 at 12:10.

Craftsman
    Worth the low speed to be away from KC's monopoly. Pretty restricted around here

Life out in the sticks......

Grand Master
    Amazing speeds guys, whilst I rarely go below 75mb I dont think I actually ever need it unless updating apps by download and then its never a chore to grab a coffee
    RIAC

Journeyman

EE

I'm getting 12mb which is fine for what I pay

Not too bad, and pretty consistent..