closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex servicing - how often

Rolex servicing - how often

I have a couple of watches that I really should get serviced

2002 16600 Seadweller
    2003 16610 LV Sub

I have only ever worn the sd at the weekends and the LV only once ( as i always preferred the SD ).

My question is :

Given that you need to service them every 5 years does this still count if they are not worn as frequently?... I am guessing that the oils degrade over time so that even if the watch is not used the oil will not perform optimally. Plus on dive watch the seals around the crown will need replacing to maintain integrity

Craftsman
    I'll be interested to see the opinions on this. I bought my SD last year with papers showing it was serviced in 2010. I'm planning to get it serviced again next year even though I only wear it for a couple of days every fortnight. The rest of the time it's on a winder so the oils keep moving, I don't have to keep resetting it and unscrewing the crown and so on. I think I'll probably stick to the 5 year servicing regardless of how often I wear it.

Banned
    Nothing will wear so much it can't be sorted at a service, so if it keeps good time, keep wearing it.

A watch will tell you when it needs a service.

Craftsman
    I service my Rolex watches only when the timekeeping changes significantly, or when power-reserve isn't good anymore, or when my annual WR-test fails.

Quote Originally Posted by patnmand View Post
    I'll be interested to see the opinions on this. I bought my SD last year with papers showing it was serviced in 2010. I'm planning to get it serviced again next year even though I only wear it for a couple of days every fortnight. The rest of the time it's on a winder so the oils keep moving, I don't have to keep resetting it and unscrewing the crown and so on. I think I'll probably stick to the 5 year servicing regardless of how often I wear it.
    Thanks- I am erring towards just getting them serviced for peace of mind if nothing else.

Regarding the watchwinder- i have thought about it but then it seems like a real PITA getting them out the safe - putting on winder , repeating for other models - or am I just being lazy?

Craftsman
    My winders are battery powered so they can run in the safe. So it's on the winder all the time I'm not wearing it. If I go away and I know I'm not going to wear it for a while then I let it stop. Today I'm wearing it as it's the anniversary of the day I bought it ☺

If they are running fine I would leave them. Rolex service price includes parts so any extra wear is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by patnmand View Post
    My winders are battery powered so they can run in the safe. So it's on the winder all the time I'm not wearing it. If I go away and I know I'm not going to wear it for a while then I let it stop. Today I'm wearing it as it's the anniversary of the day I bought it ☺
    that was my error- i only bought a small hotel style safe in order that I could get it fitted in the wardrobe- i should have gone bigger!

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Nothing will wear so much it can't be sorted at a service, so if it keeps good time, keep wearing it.

I'd agree with this - only thing I tend to do with mine is get them pressure tested before I take them on holidays.

Grand Master
    When it stops ticking or bits fall off it
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    If they are running fine I would leave them. Rolex service price includes parts so any extra wear is not a problem.
    Didn't realise parts were included.

Banned
    From what I have gleaned over the years I would suggest having it done ever 10 years if you have no problems. You could keep going till your watch stops but in that case your service/repair could be significantly more expensive than a 10 year refresher. I think having a watch serviced every 5 years is not necessary.

Id say servicing is overrated. Our granddads wore their watches for decades without any servicing whatsoever and those were not pampered like what we do, plus from a technical point of view, the tech used today is made to withstand more than before..

I say, if it runs well, dont service it and dont give them a chance to mess up whats running just fine (just like i dont go to doctors when there is nothing troubling me, but im sure theyd find sth if i did go)

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    When it stops ticking or bits fall off it
    I second that when I get up one morning and it stops lol.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    My friend has an older Submariner. The hand on his started to go backwards, which apparently is a service indicator. Is this common?

I normally have mine serviced every eight to ten years, up until now all bar two have been rotated for wrist time, the two that weren't worn have been on winders or manually wound periodically.

My thinking for getting the watches serviced was that I'd get the oils/lubricants checked over and have the watches adjusted so they are keeping good time; for the watches that are worn the cases and bracelets get a good polish or replacement parts.

However I've had a few come back from servicing with issues so now I'm in two minds, my gut tells me if it ain't broke don't fix it but my head says I should continue to have them regularly serviced to keep them in tip top condition.

Having a watch serviced every five years seems a little too often in my mind but given the cost of these things it's worth getting them maintained.

Master

Servicing

I'd agree with an earlier comment I think worn under normal conditions they will easily do 8/10 years and again like someone said I've had vintage watches that have never been serviced and when done required virtually nothing .

I'm not suggesting leaving them like this but feel if a watch is 5/6 years old and hardly been worn surely it shouldn't even need thinking of servicing as long as its keeping time etc

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    Id say servicing is overrated. Our granddads wore their watches for decades without any servicing whatsoever and those were not pampered like what we do, plus from a technical point of view, the tech used today is made to withstand more than before..

I say, if it runs well, dont service it and dont give them a chance to mess up whats running just fine (just like i dont go to doctors when there is nothing troubling me, but im sure theyd find sth if i did go)
    For decades, well then if you'd look under granddads watch case you would see that mess

Master

My thoughts exactly.

Master

+1

I always wear mines till the timing goes to pot
    Then service them , to me the car comparison doesn't hold imho.

Most Cars need to be serviced every 10 to 15k miles
    my sub doesn't . My watch maker Has said the same
    service when needed ie when the timing goes to s""t

Grand Master
    Not always!

A watch will sometimes keep fairly good time despite running with low amplitude as a result of dried up lubricants. In this state it'll be wearing at an increased rate; when it's been serviced it'll run a lot better but there will still be more wear on certain parts than if it had been lubricated properly.

I wouldn`t leave a watch more than 6-7 years if it's worn regularly, even if it's keeping reasonable time.

As for keeping lubricants 'moving', I don`t agree; leaving a watch running on a winder will increase the wear rate because it's running 24/7.......I wouldn`t trade that off against the convenience of not needing to set it.

Paul

Getting a watch serviced is like going in for surgery. Everytime you open a sealed body up, you run the risk of creating unanticipated damage. As such, I would suggest doing it when there is an actual need. Time them and wear them for a day or so. If they work fine/keep time fine, then leave them alone. To give you an example, I just sent back my Omega flightmaster 911 back for a second time to one of the most respected (and authorized!) North American vintage Omega repair shops. They fixed some things only to botch some other things. When repairing the botched things, other things were subsequently botched as well. Servicing is not magic, no matter who does it.
    Last edited by lenny; 4th July 2014 at 01:08.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    Getting a watch serviced is like going in for surgery. Everytime you open a sealed body up, you run the risk of creating unanticipated damage. As such, I would suggest doing it when there is an actual need. Time them and wear them for a day or so. If they work fine/keep time fine, then leave them alone. To give you an example, I just sent back my Omega flightmaster 911 back for a second time to one of the most respected (and authorized!) North American vintage Omega repair shops. They fixed some things only to botch some other things. When repairing the botched things, other things were subsequently botched as well. Servicing is not magic, no matter who does it.
    This is why I prefer simple watches.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    This is why I prefer simple watches.
    Unless you have a sundial, they are all fairly complex :).

I am not an expert so perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong but don't lubricants/oils dry up within 5 years regardless of whether you wear the watch or not? And don't gaskets/seals deteriorate within 3 years (and even faster if you dive). I am for building a strong relationship with a reputable watchmaker and servicing every 5 years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ghwatch View Post
    I am not an expert so perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong but don't lubricants/oils dry up within 5 years regardless of whether you wear the watch or not? And don't gaskets/seals deteriorate within 3 years (and even faster if you dive). I am for building a strong relationship with a reputable watchmaker and servicing every 5 years.
    Have a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgSYZIUrRkw

and think about it. These are extremely valuable pieces. Do you think he has them serviced every 5 years? Not a chance. Having someone open your watch up and mess with it every 5 years is asking for trouble. I suspect a service every ten years is a happy mean, but opinions vary...

If you are going to subject your watch to diving in salt water, then let me recommend a plastic quartz one. Save a valuable watch for it's primary purpose. Posing on dry land...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If you are going to subject your watch to diving in salt water, then let me recommend a plastic quartz one. Save a valuable watch for it's primary purpose. Posing on dry land...

Is it ok to dive in potable water in a valuable watch?

Have a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgSYZIUrRkw

and think about it. These are extremely valuable pieces. Do you think he has them serviced every 5 years? Not a chance. Having someone open your watch up and mess with it every 5 years is asking for trouble. I suspect a service every ten years is a happy mean, but opinions vary...

uuh...I thought about it....and I realized that you haven't answered my questions re lubricant and gasket life...also I was assuming the "someone" who opens up your watch is a reputable watchmaker and is not going to "mess with it."

The OP's Seadweller and LV Sub are fantastic dive watches and I would think there is no problem diving with them in salt water if you just make sure to replace the gaskets regularly.

By the way I recall reading an interview where John Goldberger says that he never wears those valuable pieces.

Banned
    Ok, let me try again. Regarding the lubricants/oils, your mileage may vary. The consensus seems to be that 10 years is nothing to worry about, even though the oil may have dried/deteriorated a bit. I see no reason why gaskets/seals should not last for at least 10 years with normal use.

I am sure your watchmaker will be happy with the relationship.

uuh...I thought about it....and I realized that you haven't answered my questions re lubricant and gasket life...also I was assuming the "someone" who opens up your watch is a reputable watchmaker and is not going to "mess with it."

The OP's Seadweller and LV Sub are fantastic dive watches and I would think there is no problem diving with them in salt water if you just make sure to replace the gaskets regularly.

By the way I recall reading an interview where John Goldberger says that he never wears those valuable pieces.
    Yes, the old wives' tales about saunas, salt water, soap, etc. just refuse to die. Just rinse the watch off in fresh water and it'll be fine. This should be done even by those who have some kind of phobia about letting their watch near water; what do you think constitutes sweat?

The gaskets and seals on a GMT II that was exposed regularly to showers, salt water, hot tubs and saunæ showed a slow leak developing on a recent test, so I had a full service done since the amplitude was starting to get a bit low as well (though the timekeeping was still quite good). I reckon that wasn't bad run given that the parts were the original ones from when the watch was manufactured in 1997. By the way, though it was due for fresh oil after seventeen years, the movement was in great shape according to the Rolex watchmaker who serviced it.
    Last edited by Belligero; 4th July 2014 at 12:48.

My old used and abused Datejust went 20 years without being opened.
    Now since my finances are better I go with 8ish years on all my autos

The comparison between car and watch servicing always makes me chuckle - a watch suddenly stopping or losing time isn't quite the same as brake failure causing an accident or a breakdown leaving you stranded!
    My submariner is now back with Rolex for the second time since it's service with issues that need resolving so I'd avoid a service on a watch until you need it!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post

Have to disagree with this.

Modern watches keep the water and dirt out far better than older ones, and in some cases the materials are better. The biggest improvement is in the lubricants; modern synthetic lubricants are far better than those used 30-40 years ago. Having said that, lubrication does break down over the years and does need to be replaced. A modern watch probably doesn`t need servicing as frequently as in the past, but it does benefit from being maintained.

Remember, mechanical watches are machines, not electronic items; they require lubrication and maintenance to remain in optimum condition. This may seem old-fashioned but it makes sense in the long run. When a watch is serviced by Omega or Rolex is has to meet a minimum performance standard; that doesn`t make it like a brand-new watch. A watch that hasn`t been serviced in 15 years will have some parts replaced to meet this standard, but it'll still contain 15 years-worth of wear in other areas. It will not be comparable to a watch that's been serviced a couple of times. Anyone who thinks it will is fooling mimself.

Rolexes in particular are expensive items, and it makes sense to look after an expensive item properly IMO. Accredited repairers are the only ones I`d entrust a Rolex to; I practice what I preach on this point because I won`t service my own Rolexes. I just accept it as part of the ownership cost and I knew that before buying.

Paul

I only ever get my Daytona opened up for a battery change, I don't see the point in messing around with it unnecessarily.

A 7 year service cycle should be sufficient. I have seen pics of Omegas that were left til they stopped and they weren't pretty.