closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Christopher Ward - big reveal?

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    I think any companies with new and unproven products will face the same when pitching it into a price point that can get you some nice watches. Particularly if you have made a name for yourself making affordable homages with stock movements. An in house movement is great (and I applaud them for getting the chequebook out and doing it) but as has been said before, it doesn't offer a great deal as yet and is not a particularly elegant solution.

£1500 is the sort of point that gets you some interesting stuff on your wrist - utterly by coincidence I have been looking at small chronographs recently and am currently obsessing over this watch:

Which contains this movement:

A dressy column wheel chrono in a 39mm package and playing Devil's advocate, could be considered 'in house' in the same way as CW as it has been developed for them by their own Group company for unique use in Longines watches.

The price? Just under £1500
    That thing is a beauty. Oh Longines, why do you tempt me so?

The price ranges for Longines watches does seem remarkably similar to Chris Ward ones nowadays. You can get the quality Longines heritage watches for about £600 new, and then up to a few £thousand for some of the more premium models. Very similar to CW. Here was me thinking that Chris Ward is now competing with Nomos, but perhaps it's Longines who are the main competitor now? Certainly in terms of price and product range.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post
    perhaps it's Longines who are the main competitor now? Certainly in terms of price and product range.
    Makes sense to me.

Master
    http://www.christopherward.co.uk/le/c7-cosc-irrt.html this one is nice.

But I agree, I also love that Longine column wheel chrono, that is "kind" of inhouse anyway as that movement is specific to Longine even though eta created it. I just hate it when brands think they can just put the price up and pretend they are super luxury fighting the big established brands. You don't get there over night.

Master
    I think any companies with new and unproven products will face the same when pitching it into a price point that can get you some nice watches. Particularly if you have made a name for yourself making affordable homages with stock movements. An in house movement is great (and I applaud them for getting the chequebook out and doing it) but as has been said before, it doesn't offer a great deal as yet and is not a particularly elegant solution.

£1500 is the sort of point that gets you some interesting stuff on your wrist - utterly by coincidence I have been looking at small chronographs recently and am currently obsessing over this watch:

A dressy column wheel chrono in a 39mm package and playing Devil's advocate, could be considered 'in house' in the same way as CW as it has been developed for them by their own Group company for unique use in Longines watches.

I love this watch having seen it a year ago. Its still in my mind. Great watch, great proven movement, decent price.

Nothing about CW has ever appealed to me, neither the watches themselves or the branding (i.e. what they're saying to me about who I am and why I want to own one) and I agree that they seem to be unable to strike up a brand image that appeals, despite trying a couple of variants. Previous comments about CW rivalling Nomos surprised me as I don't think CW is even a realistic rival for Eddie.

Their designs are weak and safe and their branding awful. I expected this new model to be average but it's actually awful. I've been trying to decide which well-known brand they're like and why. I've come up with M&S; they try to appeal to everyone with bland, generic, safe designs. What they both end up with is nothing inspirational.

Sorry if you're a CW fan - I know not everyone likes what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I love this watch having seen it a year ago. Its still in my mind. Great watch, great proven movement, decent price.
    I realise it's not directly comparable with the CW - different style, functions, size - but it is an example of the space they will be competing in. And as I mentioned, just as in-house as the CW after all ;) Plus Longines have history/heritage, visibility through brand ambassadors and sponsorship, an established brand and a great range of different styles of watch...I just think it's a tough ask.

I hope they do well of course as it means more choice for us punters, but it's going to take more than this I suspect.

GasMan118 is clearly a fanboy, he sent me a PM last night.

What did you do for your tenth year of being in the watch business?

Your website is pathetic, your watches are 20 years out of date, times change, you and your company hasn't.

I'll pm you again in 10 years, see how are doing then.
    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    That seems a little harsh! Smacks of a little too much lambrusco ;)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It is about to get very much tougher in that price range. When the new Zenith range hit the market from around £1600
    +-£2300 for a version of of the Aeronef. There are a lot of nice watches for around £2000. That Longines is awesome!

Blog Entries
    LOL, oh dear.

** edit **
    Seems he is a CW fan... http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post2346138
    Last edited by markrlondon; 3rd July 2014 at 14:31.

Master
    For me CW is like the equivalent of Michael Kors for women. I always thought they were just fashion watches. I guess they are getting serious.

Master

What did you do for your tenth year of being in the watch business?

Your website is pathetic, your watches are 20 years out of date, times change, you and your company hasn't.

I'll pm you again in 10 years, see how are doing then.

Eddie
    When he'll be 20

Personally I think it's nice to see CW trying to develop their brand and their business. While we all know the probable drivers but a "new" movement is still something to be encouraged surely? Nobody slags off Nomos which has now established itself in at least 2 high end AD's in Cardiff. In fact Crouch have a big window display of Nomos and on the upper layer of the window. (It's only sad WIS gits who crouch down to see what the lower layer has to offer.)

BTW that Longines is stunning. Was looking again today at their moonphase offering.

I do like CW generally and want them to do well. I've owned 2 CW's previously and both were great watches. However, the movement size would seem to put some instant limitations in place for what models it can be used in. No chance of using it in a 40mm diver for instance without it going on a diet first. And the C9 model, with it's 3 needle hands that serve to confuse, just looks bland to my eye. A skim over their current model range shows a lot of blandness, I really think they need to focus more on design and getting something distinctive out there above all else. The movement news is a good thing, hats off to them, but they need to step away from dress watches, introduce some variety and discover their own design identity - preferably one that doesn't resemble a Sekonda from 10 paces.

Craftsman
    Good for CW, they've come a long way in 10 years and think it's good they've rattled the 'establishment'.

RE the new watch, agreed the blue face with 3 silver hands isn't a quick read but the white face version has blue hour & minute hands (with a silver second hand) reads much more quickly. I think it looks better too and would the version I'd have over the blue or black variety.

I know nothing about this brand, am willing to learn more and can't help but notice that the word 'London' features prominently on the dial. Do you think that perhaps if I was to write to them, I might be invited to visit their London factory where I could actually see these fine watches being designed, machined, finished, assembled and tested - you know, the way you might at Nomos?

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    When he'll be 20
    Ohhh -you bitch ;)

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    I know nothing about this brand, am willing to learn more and can't help but notice that the word 'London' features prominently on the dial. Do you think that perhaps if I was to write to them, I might be invited to visit their London factory where I could actually see these fine watches being designed, machined, finished, assembled and tested - you know, the way you might at Nomos?
    No, the company is Christopher Ward of London, but the atelier that assembles the watches is in Switzerland - Jura, apparently.

They do have a show-room in Maidenhead, and I think their repairs and service workshop is there... you might be allowed to look around that.
    Last edited by Cirrus; 3rd July 2014 at 16:24.

Master
    Do you think that perhaps if I was to write to them, I might be invited to visit their London factory where I could actually see these fine watches being designed, machined, finished, assembled and tested.....?
    Good idea, let us know how you get on

Thanks Cirrus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    Good idea, let us know how you get on
    I have just visited their website which does indeed mention their Berkshire design studio and clearly explain that their watches are assembled in Switzerland. I suppose they are machined there too.

I will admit to being slightly disappointed though. I had hoped that 'the big reveal' might be the something truly uplifting, such as a UK production facility and the creation of new job opportunities for UK watchmakers...never mind.

Edit: If that were the case, I would swear my loyalty to them.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 3rd July 2014 at 21:51.

Given the size of the movement I don't understand why they've put the date so far away from the edge of the dial. Looking at it from the front you'd immediately imagine that it had a bloody big movement spacer in it.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    Hehe...

While it's not for me, I am curious about the reliability of these new movements. Looking at the Christopher Ward forum, I found some troubling info.

start from halfway down here --->
    http://www.christopherwardforum.com/...26063&start=15

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    While it's not for me, I am curious about the reliability of these new movements. Looking at the Christopher Ward forum, I found some troubling info.

start from halfway down here --->
    http://www.christopherwardforum.com/...26063&start=15
    None of those instances of failure related to the new movement... I would wait until there was actual real-world experience of something before deciding if there is any need to be concerned about it.

FWIW, I think there might well be issues with the new movement - few new products go to market without a few - but if there are I think CW Customer Services will deal with it in the quick, courteous and professional manner people have come to expect of them.

FWIW2, I have owned 5 CW watches (no 6 should be arriving tomorrow) and I have never had the slightest problem with any of them :)

Apprentice
    I have a couple of CW watches which I bought in one of the many sales they have. It always puzzles me that they can sell watches for half price or less, do they actually lose money on them? I think not. This new one has an interesting movement but is it in house? You can buy a lot of watches for this price which will make better than £50 at Cash Convertors.

Anton

Well the jump hour movements are designed and made by the same company, so I would like to see a track record of reliability with their prior endeavors. Those stories (albeit representing a small sample size) do not give me a good feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    Well the jump hour movements are designed and made by the same company, so I would like to see a track record of reliability with their prior endeavors. Those stories (albeit representing a small sample size) do not give me a good feeling.
    Actually, the movement is an ETA 2824 and JJ added the complication. To be fair, it seems like it was this that failed on the few that did.

The SH21 was designed as a unit from a blank piece of paper, and I have no idea if this makes it more or less likely to fail than a modification - we will have to wait for real world contact with it to find out I guess.

Master
    I received a £50 off voucher from CW in the post on Thursday - I'm not planning to use it so if anyone else wants it I'd be happy to pass it on.

SGR

Smart looking watch, everything in proportion even if it is a few mil too large though the "inboard" white date wheel grates a little even if it does match the colour of the typeface. Good move re the movement and I think that it'll be easy enough to read despite the handset style and length, the minute and second hand should be simple to distinguish as one will be spinning faster than the other, it's only in photos where the hands are stationary that a longer glance may be required.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    I received a £50 off voucher from CW in the post on Thursday - I'm not planning to use it so if anyone else wants it I'd be happy to pass it on.

SGR
    Got one of them. I was actually thinking of getting a few watch straps (their 22mm ones on deployment clasp are quite nice and hug the case well). They have also started selling wallets that look of good quality though not seen any review of them as yet.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Nothing about CW has ever appealed to me, neither the watches themselves or the branding (i.e. what they're saying to me about who I am and why I want to own one) and I agree that they seem to be unable to strike up a brand image that appeals, despite trying a couple of variants. Previous comments about CW rivalling Nomos surprised me as I don't think CW is even a realistic rival for Eddie.

Their designs are weak and safe and their branding awful. I expected this new model to be average but it's actually awful. I've been trying to decide which well-known brand they're like and why. I've come up with M&S; they try to appeal to everyone with bland, generic, safe designs. What they both end up with is nothing inspirational.

Sorry if you're a CW fan - I know not everyone likes what I like.
    ChrWard's business plan is blatantly obvious and that is why I dislike them so.
    And then their watches - and that new C9 - is it really a dress watch? what is it?

I've been and had a look at one of these. Very nice. But where can it be had for £1,500? Do you mean second hand? New it's £1,900.

I have just visited their website which does indeed mention their Berkshire design studio and clearly explain that their watches are assembled in Switzerland. I suppose they are machined there too.

I will admit to being slightly disappointed though. I had hoped that 'the big reveal' might be the something truly uplifting, such as a UK production facility and the creation of new job opportunities for UK watchmakers...never mind.

Edit: If that were the case, I would swear my loyalty to them.

Oh how I wish this were true.

I do think (hope) this day is coming. Bremont maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I've been and had a look at one of these. Very nice. But where can it be had for £1,500? Do you mean second hand? New it's £1,900.
    I think he means from a grey market dealer or Iconic where they are indeed about £1500

Journeyman
    I know at the moment it is marketing . but I hope it will push British watch making forward. We need the expertise and machines asap.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    In Christopher Ward's opinion that is a better brand and logo than 'Christopher Ward London' was. Go figure. Perhaps he's right; perhaps it's just conservative WISs who hate the new brand.

For what it's worth, I tried a blind brand/logo preference test on my mother back when the new brand was introduced and she preferred the old one, never having seen either one before. Not sure what that proves though: She's not a watch buyer, not even for presents.
    For whatever reason, the name makes me think of a garden centre or maybe a pub singer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    For whatever reason, the name makes me think of a garden centre or maybe a pub singer.
    LOL!

Journeyman
    I don't buy into nationalism when I choose a watch.
    But if I did, in that I momentarily become a Griffin/ Farrage type watch wearing freak, I'd choose Bremont as they're less confused than ChrWard, in that their designs are consistent with British history and aviation (UK's answer to Breitling I suppose).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Got one of them. I was actually thinking of getting a few watch straps (their 22mm ones on deployment clasp are quite nice and hug the case well). They have also started selling wallets that look of good quality though not seen any review of them as yet.
    Looks like it only applies on purchases over £300 so that might kibosh your straps idea. :-(

SGR

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    Looks like it only applies on purchases over £300 so that might kibosh your straps idea. :-(

SGR
    I know, I was thinking of a few straps and a couple of wallets if they are decent quality.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    It is about to get very much tougher in that price range. When the new Zenith range hit the market from around £1600
    +-£2300 for a version of of the Aeronef. There are a lot of nice watches for around £2000. That Longines is awesome!
    Do you have more info on this? Whats the new range of Zeniths that will only start at £1600 ? and when they released?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    As mentioned above, Iconic have it for a shade under 1500. It's also a price that can be achieved at an AD if you're persuasive. Iconic source from Uk ADs so if you can't get any to match or come close to it, take your cash elsewhere :)