closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lange / Glashutte Original

Lange / Glashutte Original

Hi

Just been down in London for a few days and visited wempe amongst others on bond street.

Anyway, looked at the lange 1815 and was blown away by the finish.

I felt glashutte original models such as the panomatic lunar etc, although awesome was more like my jlc memovox in terms of finish.

Anyone that has owned both lange and glashutte have any views on whether there is a significant gap in finish etc or is it all in the mind and perception? Bearing in mind it was looking at steel against gold and that if the 1815 was actually available in steel the price gap wouldnt be so huge.

Cheers
    G

I have both and would say GO feels more machine-made than handmade. However, I am in no way saying that GO feels worse without more perfect where
    all the lines for example, brushing the surface is perfect. Lange feels a bit more hand-made, even if they are perfect too so they give a warmer feel, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by monty68 View Post
    Hi

Just been down in London for a few days and visited wempe amongst others on bond street.

Anyway, looked at the lange 1815 and was blown away by the finish.

I felt glashutte original models such as the panomatic lunar etc, although awesome was more like my jlc memovox in terms of finish.

Anyone that has owned both lange and glashutte have any views on whether there is a significant gap in finish etc or is it all in the mind and perception? Bearing in mind it was looking at steel against gold and that if the 1815 was actually available in steel the price gap wouldnt be so huge.

Cheers
    G

... in general, I would say that ALS has the higher standards with regard to the finissage of the movement - but that should not come as a surprise as their price point is significantly higher. I in my experience, GO offers excellent value in particular for their steel models as they also put complications in non-precious metals (very rare for the top brands). One thing worth noting is that GO has a higher standard for their more expensive models when compared to the "entry level" steel ranges.

For example, we had here on TZ some time ago a comparison of the steel and platinum version of the Senator PC provided by java:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post3061236

Cheers,
    Christian

Thanks guys.

Bit bizarre how two versions of the same movement are used. Just shows you, you do get what you pay for!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by monty68 View Post
    Thanks guys.

Bit bizarre how two versions of the same movement are used. Just shows you, you do get what you pay for!

Cheers
    I wouldn't knock the movement in the SS version, as it's sublime and beautifully finished (as it should be on a £15k watch). The little details on the enhanced movement are a rather nice touch for sure, though.

Master
    My 1815, sadly long gone.
    Img_0387-1-rs by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Banned
    Blog Entries
    On a recent visit to GO in June (Covered in this thread http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=visit )

I was able to discuss the very issue of finish differences between the two makers. I own several G O watches and have handled extensively many ALS watches. I have had the opportunity inspect both very closely. IMHO there is no doubt at all that ALS maintain the higher standard in overall finish. The hand work involved to achieve this is reflected in the higher cost structure for their watches. IMO once again, the more adventurous and the more dynamic of the two, with regard to engineering and execution of interesting and innovative complication would be G O by some margin.
    I have not had the benefit of visiting ALS as yet. But on my visit to GO it was abundantly clear that huge mutual respect and admiration existed between the two companies.
    Last edited by java; 28th June 2014 at 21:55.