closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hybrid Cars & Mechanical Watches!

Hybrid Cars & Mechanical Watches!

They don't mix well. I have a Toyota Yaris Hybrid and have just worked out why my Omega SMP 300 and Seiko SARB033 are magnetised. Both have been in the boot of the car, which is where the batteries are stored and charged

Craftsman
    LOL..., another good reason to avoid hybrid/electrical as the plague...

Grand Master
    That's interesting! Easiest way to check whether there's a magnetic field is with a compass.

I`ve come across a few magnetised watches in the past couple of years, so it can still happen. Glass backs don`t help for obvious reasons!

As for hybrid cars, I wouldn`t choose one because I`m too much of a dinosaur; viewed objectively I think they make a lot of sense and the technology's here to stay.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 28th June 2014 at 10:40.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk Hoving View Post
    LOL..., another good reason to avoid hybrid/electrical as the plague...
    Unless you want 84mpg, super smooth auto, free road tax and very very cheap company car tax......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    ... very very cheap company car tax......
    That's the only reason I'd consider one. If it's a company car, it's a tool for my job -not just a perk. On my past company car I'd do about 20k miles PA for work with about 1k personal miles. Therefore, I resent paying Mr Osborne any more BIK that I need to - for the ~£2,500 it cost me me PA it'd almost be cheaper to rent a car for personal miles. So the hybrid does make sense (& I never keep any watches in the boot)

z

Craftsman
    Are watches with anti-magnetic cage safe?

... that is an interesting observation, never heard of such an incident before - also a good reason to upgrade the Seamaster to the new amagnetic generation of Omega movements ;-)

Cheers,
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by zeroeseight View Post
    Are watches with anti-magnetic cage safe?
    My Grand Seiko SBGR051 appears to be holding its own; from the Grand Seiko site:

"*The Grand Seiko mechanical watch conforms to the magnetic resistance standard† ISO764:2002.
    † The magnetic resistance standard ISO764:2002 is the standard developed by the International Organization for Standardization, and is a magnetic resistance standard capable of withstanding a DC (direct current) magnetic field of 4800 A/m."

I might be wrong here, but is the magnetic field around a battery pack (or I guess the wiring) really strong enough to affect a watch?
    Last edited by robcat; 29th June 2014 at 08:24.

Let me answer some questions that have been raised on other forums:

• Why were the watches in the boot/trunk? Wore the Seiko while going to pick-up a DJ from the jewelers and the Seiko travelled home in the boot. Same thing has happened with the SMP, plus the jeweler said he had a buyer for my SMP and it has been in the boot more than once for, as I have worked my way up from a Rolex Oyster Precision to my present DJ using the same jeweler.
    • How do the batteries magnetize the watch? It is not the batteries per se, the batteries are being charged while the car is running, the electric motor and wiring create an EMF and it is this that magnetizes the watch
      Someone mentioned an RX45, this is a bigger car than the Yaris and both the passenger and driver are near to the electrical motor in the front of the car

Just for fun try this, take a compass and move it towards any of the following:

• Mobile/cell phone
    • Wireless mouse
    • Wireless keyboard
    • Your computer, Mac’s produce a nice result

You will be surprised by which electrical products produce an EMF.