closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a TAG Monza - About time I joined!

Apprentice

Just bought a TAG Monza - About time I joined!

Good evening all,

I've been browsing this forum for a while now but tonight i bought my first mechanical watch - A Tag Heuer Monza. I'm a motorsport fanatic and love the monza design.

This is the watch I purchased: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2715293791...84.m1439.l2649

As you can see, I won the auction for £750 which I feel, having looked at others in similar condition, is a solid price. Am I right?

A bit more background:

My grandfather left me a 24ct Gold Baume & Mercier Dress Watch which I know little about apart from the fact that it was bought at a time when B&M were thought of more highly than I believe they are now. I will definitely put some pictures up when i'm back at my family home for a weekend.

My current daily watch is a Tissot Chronograph in Blue which was bought for me by my Aunt and Uncle for my 21st Birthday.

Now I've added the TAG to the question which represents the first proper watch I've bought.

I'm still pretty new to the whole watch scene but have always admired them as a kid and hoped one day I would be able to purchase nice watches. Now at 23 I have made that hope come true.

Thanks for the listening and all the wisdom that I have gained from this forum whilst reading in the background.

Cheers,

Michael

Welcome to the forum Michael, good to have another younger member - I'm 24 - be warned though, it gets addictive.

Like you I got a watch for my 21st and since then it's gone a bit mental.

Blog Entries
    Welcome!

I'd say you've done alright on the price... Seller looks (first impression) reasonable too

B&M are a little underrated in my opinion... Certainly have produced a lovley new Clifton range with some lovley looking watches

Look forward to some piccies (always goes down well on this forum :D)

Ben

My favourite Tag. Well done.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    There is something magical about the case shape of the Monza, welcome to the club!

I know watches don't talk but this one popped by to say hello...

... aaaand welcome to the forum :) The old B&M .. pics definitely!

A really poor picture but this was mine . Welcome to the forum.

Craftsman
    Welcome Michael, that is a very nice looking watch mate. Never seen that model before and must say it's right up my street!

This is a great forum with so many knowledgeable and very friendly people here.

Dan.

Apprentice
    Thank you very much for the lovely welcome chaps - really appreciate it.

Should I be concerned about the lack of original strap (although clasp is present). How much would I be looking at for a genuine tag strap?

I love the Monza case and I am sure you will be delighted with your purchase.

Typically the non-chronograph variants (like yours) are valued a little less than the more complicated versions. But as yours looks to be in good condition which is worth a lot, they are not the easiest watches to refinish properly if scruffy.

Here's my cal 36 to add to the lovely pics in this thread:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelA View Post
    Thank you very much for the lovely welcome chaps - really appreciate it.

Should I be concerned about the lack of original strap (although clasp is present). How much would I be looking at for a genuine tag strap?
    The main thing is having the clasp... As for the strap... Just get an eBay search saved or place a WTB in the forum as you never know...! Price depends on whether you go for that 2nd hand or not, but, you'll pay through the nose if you got to an AD

Much nicer, and rarer, than the Monaco in my opinion. Good choice.

Craftsman
    I agree about the shape being nice, it has a real 70's feel to it.

Michael, welcome to the forum.

I don't want to worry you unduly, but I'd be a little concerned on two counts. Firstly, the caseback on the watch you've bought should have the model and serial numbers clearly inscribed as in the photo below. I can't make out whether they're just about visible or not, but if they are it appears as if someone has polished them out.

Secondly, the instruction booklet shown in the seller's photos doesn't relate to the Monza, as its not a cal. 17 movement. Another cause for concern, I'd have thought.

Perhaps drop a line to the seller, asking for clarification?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Would love to see a pic of the baume, I think they are a great brand offering some fine watches.

Not or worry you but I think it may be worth dropping a line to the person you got your tag from. . As something just isn't sitting right in regards to the engraving on the case back. .

Regards
    Chris.

Master
    Welcome aboard, Michael!

I wanted a Monza for ages and finally took the plunge and bought one from a Tag outlet when I was in Florida. I've always loved cushion cases but it very quickly became apparent that we weren't going to bond and that was really down to the strap and deployant - it never really sat comfortably on my wrist. Was always either too tight or too loose and hence sitting on my wrist at an angle. With a heavy heart I chopped it in (getting back pretty much what I'd paid for it) and bought a pre-owned Monaco on a bracelet.

It's always a shame when you lust after something and then are disappointed when you finally get it, so I hope yours gets plenty of wrist time!

With regard to B&M, I really like the latest Clifton range. It certainly used to be a highly-regarded brand but I haven't seen too much in the last 10 years to excite. The price premium being asked for less-than-inspiring designs and fairly standard ETA movements never sat well with me but hopefully the company is now heading in more 'interesting' directions.

SGR
    Last edited by StuartGR; 26th June 2014 at 08:42.

Here was mine (also owned by a few others on here, so really ours).

Unfortunately I do not have a shot of the case back, but the person who bought it does from when they sold it and the S/N & Model number appear blasted rather than engraved so not as prominent - but I would expect to see them on the listing shots.

I'm still saying 'genuine'.

Master
    I can just about make out an LG serial on that image so could have been worn/rubbed down a little if a daily wearer, or just flat light on the pic and its not showing well.

CX2110 is also the refererence of the Targa Florio chrono, not the Monza... the papers don't match the watch :(

Time to start asking questions.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    CX2110 is also the refererence of the Targa Florio chrono, not the Monza... the papers don't match the watch :(

Time to start asking questions.
    I'm no expert, but it is worth pointing out that the seller acknowledges below the listing that the wrong card was photographed with the watch and subsequently posted pictures of a different card.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler69 View Post
    I'm no expert, but it is worth pointing out that the seller acknowledges below the listing that the wrong card was photographed with the watch and subsequently posted pictures of a different card.
    Thank you - I didn't read the ad through well enough!! Panic over hopefully :)

I can >just< about see traces of a serial and model number, they are a different depth, probably acid etched rather than engraved IIRC with my old TAGs.
    Last edited by DB9yeti; 26th June 2014 at 11:00.

Apprentice
    I'm a bit panicked now chaps!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAG-HEUER-...ht_4321wt_1069

I've used this as a comparison and it all looks very similar on the back apart from the serial numbers. I've asked the seller to hold of posting until a couple of things are clarified. Would you guys mind looking for any other signs that this is not a genuine watch because i'm a bit concerned now.

Edit: Just received this message from the seller chaps :

Ok will send there thanks
    The booklet is the one the watch came with I'm afraid
    The watch serial no on the back is wr2110 - lc5085 - it's just very faint
    I have found the original strap and deployment clasp and the warranty certificate from fine watches and diamonds sl so will send these with the watch

Many thanks

I'm disappointed about the wrong booklet etc. Should I pull out of this whilst i still have the chance?
    Last edited by michaelA; 26th June 2014 at 11:11. Reason: Change

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Would love to see a pic of the baume, I think they are a great brand offering some fine watches.

Not or worry you but I think it may be worth dropping a line to the person you got your tag from. . As something just isn't sitting right in regards to the engraving on the case back. .

Regards
    Chris.
    Could you elaborate Chris?

Craftsman
    Question.

Are those Heuer Monzas reeditions? ie they are TAG Heuers with just Heuer on the dial?

Cheers

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    I can just about make out an LG serial on that image so could have been worn/rubbed down a little if a daily wearer, or just flat light on the pic and its not showing well.
    I see the traces of the serial number on caseback. But why is there no serial number on the warranty card? Seems to me like the serial number has been removed from the case and card as they are not the original pairing. I may be wrong!

If serial has been removed maybe that's because it was a stolen watch?
    Last edited by CVByrne; 26th June 2014 at 12:23.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by CVByrne View Post
    I see the traces of the serial number on caseback. But why is there no serial number on the warranty card? Seems to me like the serial number has been removed from the case and card as they are not the original pairing. I may be wrong!

If serial has been removed maybe that's because it was a stolen watch?

The correct warranty card is second to last picture - to be fair the seller does mention this in the advert but confusing cards hasn't exactly filled me with confidence.

I don't think there's anything to worry about. I have a Kirium chrono which I know is genuine but you can barely see the model or serial numbers anymore.

It's also quite common to have incorrect booklets with Tag watches; most ADs are not exactly clued up on what they're selling.

I think it's OK OP, we're just a naturally cautious lot on here.

Craftsman
    The correct warranty card is second to last picture - to be fair the seller does mention this in the advert but confusing cards hasn't exactly filled me with confidence.
    I can pretty much make out a 0 followed by an 8 in the caseback which would fit the serial number. So my best guess is it's all legit and the serial was removed by a case polish.

Seller has sold a £2k watch before and seems ok to me tbh.

I'd make sure you can get the serial number on close inspection of that caseback. Then you're ok dude.

Hi Michael, it looks like you have a mustered a whole crew of Clouseaus' who are doing a sterling job of re-assuring you or not, about your purchase. I was just going to add that Watch Obsession have a nice selection of Monza fit leather straps.....it is worth knowing that the leather has to be quite thin to fit through the clasp - not all straps claiming to fit will do so!
    Gratiuitous pic of my cal 36 Monza with replaced strap.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Apprentice
    Thanks for another response and lovely watch you have there!

The seller has just given me written confirmation that the watch is genuine and will refund me if a jeweller says otherwise.

Apparently the serial number etc are visible just feint. Will go ahead and see what happens when it arrives.

Thanks for another response and lovely watch you have there!

The seller has just given me written confirmation that the watch is genuine and will refund me if a jeweller says otherwise.

Apparently the serial number etc are visible just feint. Will go ahead and see what happens when it arrives.
    Hope it all turns out well for you, it is always a worrying time, the gap between paying and receiving! And it doesn't get any less with further purchases, but as many will tell you on the forum, do your research well and 'buy' the seller.

As mentioned above, TAG dealers are awful about giving the correct booklets out, I have had a good few that are wrong - problem of having a different book for every calibre I suppose. The good news is the correct one will turn up on eBay or perhaps by writing to TAG themselves.

Serials/models are often faint as I said above - they are etched rather than engraved like the branding.

All seems well, shame he didn't swap the photo to show the correct card, but no biggie.

I was bidding on that exact watch and didn't see anything to make me suspicious - hope you enjoy it!
    Tim

Master
    The watch is legit

The price is about right for a non-chrono with an unbranded starp. If you want to use the clasp these straps are much better value than the original TH ones (no connection to the seller)

http://www.watchstrapworld.com/tag-heuer-monza-c-15_4
    Last edited by dl_griff; 26th June 2014 at 21:32.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    As mentioned above, TAG dealers are awful about giving the correct booklets out, I have had a good few that are wrong - problem of having a different book for every calibre I suppose. The good news is the correct one will turn up on eBay or perhaps by writing to TAG themselves.

Serials/models are often faint as I said above - they are etched rather than engraved like the branding.

All seems well, shame he didn't swap the photo to show the correct card, but no biggie.
    I can attest to that.. My Monza came with the wrong booklet!

As this appears to be turning into a Monza appreciation thread, here's one of mine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CVByrne View Post
    Are those Heuer Monzas reeditions? ie they are TAG Heuers with just Heuer on the dial?
    Yes, mine is from 2000 (a CR2110), this case shape was never produced under the Heuer brand before the TAG acquisition. The old original Heuer Monzas look quite different and command quite different prices as well.

While this puts some people off the Monza I love it to bits.

Calibre 11 did an article about the Monza, it seems that the seventies version was a bit of a mash up and the original was actually a cushion case from the 1930s.

Master
    Wait until you get the watch and see how it looks then. I think looking at the photo the camera flash or lens has made it look like the numbers are feint. If they are not as they should be (there are plenty of examples on chrono24) I would lodge an item not as described claim with eBay. You won't have a problem getting your money back. If it's not right it's always going to be a problem trying to explain away if you decide to sell in future.

Apprentice
    Hi guys,

Got a missed delivery note so will have to collect the watch on Monday.

I did some research on the seller and it looks like he's an architect of some sort - in my mind not the kind of guy to sell fake watches. I will post some pictures when I receive the watch and will go from there. I think the watch is real at this stage but it will just be a shame if the serial numbers are not prominent. If i feel i don't receive what was expected then I will seek advice to get a refund.

Many thanks,
    Michael

Grand Master
    Welcome to the forum .

As for the strap, it should be possible to obtain a good quality generic replacement from Cousins. Personally I`d put it on a black strap, I`m not a fan of brown straps with black dials. A semi-matt black alligator or croc would be my choice.

For me, this is the best of the Monzas. I`m not a big fan of chronographs, I prefer this version with the nice uncluttered dial.

TAG are a bit strange; they supply movement parts and case parts via their service centre but straps and bracelets have to be bought from their retail ADs. Strange but true.

Paul

Here's another one.

Apprentice
    Hi guys,

The watch has arrived at my dads and he's opened it up.

The good news is that it's definitely not a fake and in great condition. The serial number is present but is quite feint. I'm happy!

Super news.

Apprentice
    Also a quick thank you to everyone who posted.

It was a nervous time waiting for my first expensive watch* and I appreciate those who advised me.

*I know expensive means different things to different people! To me this was a lot of money for a watch.

Welcome! Great watch, the Monza!

Best! Glenn

Hi guys,

The watch has arrived at my dads and he's opened it up.

The good news is that it's definitely not a fake and in great condition. The serial number is present but is quite feint. I'm happy!

Michael that's good news.I am pleased that it all worked out in the end.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures real soon!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Here's another one.

Love that one Dave. Maybe my all time favourite watch, can't believe I passed if up. If you ever want rid...

Smile

Glad it all turned out OK. Now to resist collecting....

Not a big Tag fan but I really do like those and the Monacos. Very nice!