closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Patek 5296 or 5711?

I'd wait until I was 45. Failing that I would get the 5711, sell the Aquanaut & get a JLC Reverso Duo Ultra Thin or better still a MUT Moon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Get the more youthful and sporty 5711 or 15202 when you are 40 and trade for the 5396 when you are fifty.
    That is a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by baronetto View Post
    ^^^^^

Yes, all the way. I love this watch. It's special. Deserving gift for a big age change. Appreciate cost is at least double. I think the best price I've seen for one of these new is £27k :shocking:
    I was hoping pre owned around the 25k mark, but that dial isn't easy to get at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by rmblaikie View Post
    I would opt for the 5711, gorgeous watch IMO. but also love the AP ROO 15202 that Pacchi suggested

Tough choice, you need to head out and try a few on, the AP wears extremely well.

Rob
    True, much trying on needed!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    Been thinking about my answer for a while today and it's led me to another question...

When you first posted a shot of your collection earlier this year you had a nicely balanced three watch set. There was a Rolex Sub 14060M, PP Aquanaut and the PP Annual Calendar 5146g. A watch for every occasion IMO.

You've recently bought a couple of daily wearers - Rolex GMT 16710 and Omega Speedy - and swapped out the 14060M for a 5513, so you've got more choice day-to-day plus a lovely vintage piece too.

I'm not sure what the idea is with either of the two Pateks you're considering now. You already have a gold Patek on leather and a sports Patek too, so perhaps they are to give you more choice in those areas just as you expanded the daily wearer category too? How do you see either of the Pateks fitting in? It would drive me nuts having too much choice! But I know that's not an issue for many

I can't really choose between the two, although I'd tend to favour the Nautilus. What I would recommend though, is to consider a JLC Reverso - perhaps in gold with complications. That would be a good piece to enrich your collection!

If you do go for the Nautlius, you could sell me your Aquanaut!
    To be honest I'm possiblly getting a bit greedy and as you say I have plenty of choice day to day, I think maybe I'm trying to cover it at weekends and special occasions too. I would like another watch to mark my bday, which is still over a year away yet but is already in my thoughts now. Patek really does it for me, very special. Initially I wanted something classic, like my 5196g which I moved on to get my 5146, but the more I see of the calatrava line the less I'm interested. The one that still is in with a chance is the sector dial 5296, but due to the 5711 being stainless steel and the versatility of it from casual to dress I may get more wear from that.
    The 5396 would be something to work towards longer term, which might be a better idea as it would make me cool my boots a bit and let the dust settle from recent watch purchases.

I'll try the 5711 this week hopefully and see how it wears.

Nagra- have you tried the 5711?

5296g (white gold) for me if you were keeping that collection as is. But if I had £17k or so to add to your current collection I would flip the 5167 and get a SS Daytona and then put the £6k left over on the respective deals to add to your £17k and get your grail Patek. Just a thought. I know the 5167 is a completely different watch from the Daytona but every collection needs a Daytona at some stage and you will always get your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    To be honest I'm possiblly getting a bit greedy and as you say I have plenty of choice day to day, I think maybe I'm trying to cover it at weekends and special occasions too. I would like another watch to mark my bday, which is still over a year away yet but is already in my thoughts now. Patek really does it for me, very special. Initially I wanted something classic, like my 5196g which I moved on to get my 5146, but the more I see of the calatrava line the less I'm interested. The one that still is in with a chance is the sector dial 5296, but due to the 5711 being stainless steel and the versatility of it from casual to dress I may get more wear from that.
    The 5396 would be something to work towards longer term, which might be a better idea as it would make me cool my boots a bit and let the dust settle from recent watch purchases.

I'll try the 5711 this week hopefully and see how it wears.

Nagra- have you tried the 5711?
    As you clearly love Patek surely another would be a good idea. I agree that you'd probably get more wear from a Nautilus, but that would mean less wear from your other watches too and may lead to a sell off down the line... A simple Calatrava dress watch is certainly a gap in your range but if they aren't really exciting you much I'd avoid the Calatrava at the moment.

I've not tried a Nautilus but I've seen a few models in windows. If I had one it would be my daily wearer like my Aquanaut was. I'd love to handle one to see what the bracelet and dial are like up close.

Craftsman
    I have my aquanaut on today and I forgot how different it is in real life, compared to internet photos. It really is amazing! I would like something similar but different, which the 5711 would be. I love the 5396 but I'm not sure how much wear it would get and would also not be an option for a good few years.
    I know you don't like too much choice and I haven't in the past but I think as long as I love them all even if they aren't getting worn as much as they should there is no reason to move them on unless I need the money back in the bank.
    I'm hoping trying the 5711 this week will make my mind up, yay or nay.

You have 2 pateks, I'd be looking at the AP RO instead (also think it's much nicer than the nautilus)

Craftsman
    5711.... I passed 40 already but that grail is going to be fine in the future...

Banned
    5296. That other one looks a bit dated while the 5296 is a classic.

Craftsman
    Well I'm not 40 for another year but I got it anyway!

Journeyman
    Beautiful watch, grail for me- though prefer non date version

No input at all from me but thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread it really is another world! Lots of watches i didn't know existed

Whatever watch you go for i am sure you will enjoy it very much and with that collection my only concern would be making sure i wore each as much as possible

Thanks for the read

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    No input at all from me but thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread it really is another world! Lots of watches i didn't know existed

Whatever watch you go for i am sure you will enjoy it very much and with that collection my only concern would be making sure i wore each as much as possible

Thanks for the read
    You are right there, the more you have the less wear they get which is a shame. I currently have 5 but the gmt isnt seeing much wrist time so may not hang around.

Master
    Pure 70s' retro.

Well, it was introduced in 1976, after all.

Now, how do they describe the 70s? The decade that style forgot.

Image from Patek Philippe online catalogue.

Master
    Wait a minute! The Audemars Piguet Royal Oak is also a testament to 70s' taste.

It was introduced in 1972.

Image from AP online catalogue.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Tinker; 17th November 2014 at 11:11.

Craftsman
    Not a fan I take it. I have to say the pictures of the nautilus don't do it justice, it really is sublime.

Master
    Not a fan I take it. I have to say the pictures of the nautilus don't do it justice, it really is sublime.
    I agree that the quality of production (of both PP and AP) is superb and, for this reason, I would happily wear either, but the designs are dated now.

That said, taste is personal, of course.
    Last edited by Tinker; 17th November 2014 at 02:35.

I have both a 5711 and a Calatrava (6000G) and as someone also inching towards 40 (i'm 37) I would suggest the Nautilus. I just find there aren't that many times that I reach for a dress watch, a sports watch is more suitable to my everyday activity.

We all change over time, if you were looking to mark your 60th, I think the Calatrava might be more appropriate but at this age I think the Nautilus would be of more use.

Journeyman
    Of those two, the 5296. The other one is AWFUL!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ballin View Post
    Of those two, the 5296. The other one is AWFUL!!!
    Nice of you to say

Craftsman
    Great choice

I've had the 5296G (indeed the one earlier in the thread with the rail track dial used to be mine), a 5167 and a 5711. I have just the 5711 now and it is the only watch I wear. If it gels with you, I genuinely think it is the perfect watch for just about every occasion.

Then again the 5396 has got me thinking... Maybe that can be for my 40th (at least 3 years away still!)

Craftsman
    I didn't get to see the 5711 before I ordered it (the blue dial isn't easy to track down) so I wasnt 100% sure whether I'd go through with it but as soon as I put it on it felt great. Very versatile, can be dressed up or down.
    The 5396 is great but I've tried it twice and on both occassions it felt a bit too dressy for me. Having said that the dial looked amazing and I think I was trying to put myself off it as I couldn't get the 5396 and keep my 5146 at the same time. Maybe some day!

Cinch, how long did you have to wait before your 5711 arrived and was through an AD that you got it from?

Master
    That's the choice I'd have made. The versatlity of the 5711 wins it for me, can be dressed up or casual if needed. Looking at these and the APRO at the moment, just don't have a big birthday to use as an excuse, does 47 count?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    That's the choice I'd have made. The versatlity of the 5711 wins it for me, can be dressed up or casual if needed. Looking at these and the APRO at the moment, just don't have a big birthday to use as an excuse, does 47 count?
    The big 4 7! That's definitely worthy of a big present!

Master
    The big 4 7! That's definitely worthy of a big present!
    Nearly went for an AP ROO last week but couldn't get my head around the numbers on the dial rather than hour markers, looking at this thread has confirmed my thoughts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    I am given to understand that when you are 47 you are finally grown up and can buy stuff without permission (im not there yet myself) so go for it!

Banned
    Well I'm not 40 for another year but I got it anyway!
    thanks for the update and many happy returns! Thats a gem, enjoy it!

The 5711 is so thin and so well proportioned it is like a second skin.

Craftsman
    I'd also be interest to know how long it took to get a 5711 from a UK Patek Salon. When I asked I was told a year, and advised to pop up the road to Wempe!

I suspect I would have similar feelings about the 5396 as I did with the 5296. Objectively beautiful but it was too pretty for me to want to wear it very much. Whereas the 5711 is absolutely an everyday watch.

I wore my Sea Dweller for the first time in a few months yesterday, to see if I missed it. Suffice to say I am back to the Nautilus today!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    I am given to understand that when you are 47 you are finally grown up and can buy stuff without permission (im not there yet myself) so go for it!
    SWMBO has a rampant shopping gene so daren't mention anything i buy as at least a watch might have a residual value (man maths wins every time on the retail front!), the phrase "people in glass houses" springs to mind!

have some consolidating to do before going upmarket though as it's got a bit ridiculous in the watch box. there is a sort of end game in plan and a 5711 or AP RO are part of it.

Journeyman
    Can anyone tell me what ref the Patek in the top left hand side is? Sorry for my ignorance but it is stunning.

I turn 40 in a year and half and I'm thinking of adding one more final watch (I bet we all say that!) to mark the occasion.
    I would like it to be a Patek but I'm stuck between these 2 models:

And 5711

I know they're very different but I do like them both but for different reasons.

This is my current collection and none of them are going anywhere, I'm very find of them all:

My initial thought was I couldn't get the 5711 because I already have the 5167 but from comments from others I gather they are different enough to have both in the same collection.

Can I have your thoughts and opinions please.

It's a 5146G annual calendar

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Cinch, how long did you have to wait before your 5711 arrived and was through an AD that you got it from?
    i ordered it in June and they were expecting it to come in Dec but I received it just last week. I got it from Berrys and they told me Berrys Group won't be allocated another one until April 2016.
    Last edited by Cinch; 19th November 2014 at 20:10.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tmilligan View Post

I suspect I would have similar feelings about the 5396 as I did with the 5296. Objectively beautiful but it was too pretty for me to want to wear it very much. Whereas the 5711 is absolutely an everyday watch.
    I can see that, when I've tried it on it was so clean, gleaming and pretty. I think my attire and general appearance would let the watch down.

Thanks Cinch for the info.

Congratulations and may it bring you and the next generations pleasure for decades to come.

I have just started the hunt :)

Craftsman
    Thanks Cinch for the info.

Congratulations and may it bring you and the next generations pleasure for decades to come.

I have just started the hunt :)

Master
    This is a sensible review of the 5711: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHRPSaVHSg

I had a close look at one and wore it for half an hour at my local AD recently and, 'in the flesh', the watch is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    This is a sensible review of the 5711: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHRPSaVHSg

I had a close look at one and wore it for half an hour at my local AD recently and, 'in the flesh', the watch is wonderful.
    Tinker, I take it that the watch was already spoken for??

Craftsman
    Great video, nice close up shots.

Master
    Tinker, I take it that the watch was already spoken for??
    It was a 'display model', I suppose. Why? Do you want to buy it? (My AD wil be pleased.)

Craftsman
    Rubbish photo but current collection, now the aquanaut is back after repair:

Craftsman

Congratulations, beautiful collection

The 5146J was my first Patek

And this one is my latest and only Patek :)))))

Craftsman
    The 5711 is a great all rounder, smart, classy and can be simple and casual. I think it would be my last to go.
    What happened to your 5146?

Craftsman
    The 5711 is a great all rounder, smart, classy and can be simple and casual. I think it would be my last to go.
    Totally agree. It is the only watch I wear these days.

Blog Entries
    5296 gets my vote of the two proposed. Classic timeless and can be worn most places except extremes - but you already have sport watches that cover that angle. Good luck with the choosing!

I have the 5146J for my old age when I can't remember what month it is let alone the time - I will only need to remember the year, which may be difficult by then :-)
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th December 2014 at 11:52.

Master
    Here's my 5296G, it got my vote(!)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomax99 View Post
    Here's my 5296G, it got my vote(!)

It's is a very nice watch but to be honest I do love sports watches and I knew if I was going to spend that much I want something I'm going to get plenty of wear from, so the 5711 won for me!
    Last edited by Cinch; 3rd February 2015 at 21:31.