closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch for 21st Birthday.

Craftsman

Watch for 21st Birthday.

Guys,

I have nearly broken Google over the past few weeks and am still no further forward! My Son's 21st birthday is in September and I am looking to get him a watch. I have a budget of £500 and don't want to go over it as have other plans for his birthday.

Been toying with a 1993 watch but am struggling to locate one at the right price point. Ideally, I want to keep with a brand that he would recognise in order for him to have his little bit of bling if you like

Can I throw it open to you and your experience with what you think I will be able to get?

Thanks,

Jon

Kalispera Jon,

Vintage Seiko of some sort - or even better for his 21st IMO - a new Seiko Monster?

Banned
    You are not likely to get a birth year watch that he will want to wear in that price bracket. So while its a nice idea, my suggestion would be to buy him a good quality watch that he can enjoy for years to come.

what sort of thing are you after, sporty, dressy, classic looks or fashionable?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Kalispera Jon,

Vintage Seiko of some sort - or even better for his 21st IMO - a new Seiko Monster?
    Yassou Mario,

I like the idea of a Monster, will have a good look and see what is about. The vintage Seiko will have some mileage as well.............Thanks koumbare

As a jumping off point Ernest Jones have a sale on, done a quick search for you to get the ball rolling:

http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstor...nt%7Chim/?Sm=1

If he would be interested in a diver then I would suggest a Longines HydroConquest from Iconic:

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/in-stock.html?brand=44

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    You are not likely to get a birth year watch that he will want to wear in that price bracket. So while its a nice idea, my suggestion would be to buy him a good quality watch that he can enjoy for years to come.

what sort of thing are you after, sporty, dressy, classic looks or fashionable?
    Thanks Josh, I was looking at Birth year Tags and couldn't picture him wearing some of them! I am biased towards divers and have swayed the lad in that direction as well.

Thanks.

Have you gauged with your son whether he wants (1) a watch (2) a birth year watch (3) an expensive watch etc.

If that's what he wants I don't think you'd go wrong with a Tag Heuer of that era, prestigious brand and decent quality watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypjon View Post
    Thanks Josh, I was looking at Birth year Tags and couldn't picture him wearing some of them! I am biased towards divers and have swayed the lad in that direction as well.

Thanks.
    Ok, you replied by the time I posted. My first thought was Tag because they are great valued pre-owned but if you can't see him wearing one and Josh suggests a non birth year quality watch then that opens your options as there are plenty of sales on at the high street jewellers at the moment and that's before you start to look at pre-owned.

Good luck.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by eduk View Post
    As a jumping off point Ernest Jones have a sale on, done a quick search for you to get the ball rolling:

http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstor...nt%7Chim/?Sm=1

If he would be interested in a diver then I would suggest a Longines HydroConquest from Iconic:

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/in-stock.html?brand=44
    Thanks Ed, another one for the pot!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    Ok, you replied by the time I posted. My first thought was Tag because they are great valued pre-owned but if you can't see him wearing one and Josh suggests a non birth year quality watch then that opens your options as there are plenty of sales on at the high street jewellers at the moment and that's before you start to look at pre-owned.

Good luck.
    Thanks Chris, yes his preference would be a birth year Tag. I have never owned one or looked at them closely before. Subsequently I am not sure what I am looking for. Some of the pieces that I looked at did not appeal to me, that in turn sort of swayed me away. Suggestions will be gratefully recieved!

The birth year think lends a lot of value to the pre-owned idea to him. If I cant get one or near as dammit, will have to look at buying new. My thoughts are he will get a lot more bang for my buck with a pre-owned piece.

Thanks again Chris.

Thanks Chris, yes his preference would be a birth year Tag. I have never owned one or looked at them closely before. Subsequently I am not sure what I am looking for. Some of the pieces that I looked at did not appeal to me, that in turn sort of swayed me away. Suggestions will be gratefully recieved!

The birth year think lends a lot of value to the pre-owned idea to him. If I cant get one or near as dammit, will have to look at buying new. My thoughts are he will get a lot more bang for my buck with a pre-owned piece.

Thanks again Chris.
    New would be nice for a 21st. What about something versatile but a bit different like a Seiko Alpinist?

Banned
    The Longines Hydroconquest is a very good call. Brand, heritage, good modern looks - what's not to like?

i might also consider looking at Oris' diver range as well as Glycine and Fortis. There are also a couple pre-owned Sinn models on SC at the moment near to budget (I realise you can't see them but pm me if interested).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Archduke View Post
    New would be nice for a 21st. What about something versatile but a bit different like a Seiko Alpinist?
    I like that lots! May even get one for meself! Top shout Archduke. Thanks.

The Longines Hydroconquest is a very good call. Brand, heritage, good modern looks - what's not to like?

i might also consider looking at Oris' diver range as well as Glycine and Fortis. There are also a couple pre-owned Sinn models on SC at the moment near to budget (I realise you can't see them but pm me if interested).
    Josh, many thanks mate. This is getting better and better. Again, no great experience with the Sinn models but for sure will have a look. Thanks again for your help.

Journeyman
    What size wrist does he have, I'm guessing at 21, he's not going to pull off some monstrous diver.
    What about a Glycine Combat Sub? List price is above your budget, but judging by ones for sale online, you should be able to find one for under £500.

Helson Sharkdiver?
    Ocean7?
    Tissot Seastar?

If you wanted a birth year, what about a Breitling Colt?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Iano View Post
    What size wrist does he have, I'm guessing at 21, he's not going to pull off some monstrous diver.
    What about a Glycine Combat Sub? List price is above your budget, but judging by ones for sale online, you should be able to find one for under £500.

Helson Sharkdiver?
    Ocean7?
    Tissot Seastar?

If you wanted a birth year, what about a Breitling Colt?
    Thanks Iano, he is not a small lad, he dwarfs me! A big diver would not pose a problem. The Glycine Combat Sub is another fine suggestion, will check out the Colt as a birth year option.

Cheers,

Jon

21 year old may very well prefer brand new ....Glycine, Steinart, Longines, Tissot all good brands ...check out Neil at Chronomaster

Hi Jon,

I will not give you specific models suggestions but I will give you a couple of online shop choices, if they're new to you, both offer free ship. to CY
    www.watchshop.com (arrives quite fast)
    www.creationwatches.com (can choose DHL for faster delivery, their reg. post free option normally takes about 2-3 weeks)

I am also in the same boat with regards to it being difficult to find an attractive watch for a young man hailing from 1993, wasn't that good of a period at least in the realm of the mid-priced brands.

Some brands to consider: Tissot, Longines, Hamilton, Raymond Weil, Mido, Oris
    Seiko, Orient Star (these last two would be my top suggestions but I am strongly biased towards JDM models :p

Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post

I will not give you specific models suggestions
    Actually, scratch that, I will give you a few anyway ;) . It's very unlikely he won't like these. Chose black dials for more versatility, one very sporty one, one that's both classy and sporty looking and the last one which is pure class

Seiko "Sumo" - bulletproof and in Cyprus you're never far from water so nice to have a diver
    http://www.seiyajapan.com/products/s-sbdc001

Orient Star "Retrograde" - Classy watch but a bit on the chunky side as well (40mm case, 14mm thick) so it won't look very small on any wrist as many kids have problems with "too small" watches.

http://www.skywatches.com.sg/reviews...dial-watch.htm

Seiko SARX019 "Presage" - a bit out of the budget if you'll get hit with VAT but very-very distinctive
    http://www.seiyajapan.com/collection...resage-sarx019

Last edited by Dan83bz; 17th June 2014 at 17:53.

Journeyman

Vintage Watch

My opinion is to buy a vintage watch for your son-for example
    an Omega Seamaster-steel case or a Cyma WWW which is also in a steel case
    Classic watches that may increase in value over a period of time
    Good Luck

Guys,

I have nearly broken Google over the past few weeks and am still no further forward! My Son's 21st birthday is in September and I am looking to get him a watch. I have a budget of £500 and don't want to go over it as have other plans for his birthday.

Been toying with a 1993 watch but am struggling to locate one at the right price point. Ideally, I want to keep with a brand that he would recognise in order for him to have his little bit of bling if you like

Can I throw it open to you and your experience with what you think I will be able to get?

Thanks,

Jon
    Longines Hydroquest or Conquest. Done .Brand new in budget and a brand that has a lot of heritage etc

Quote Originally Posted by agee View Post
    Good Luck
    That is a big MAY. A gift should be more thought as a nice thing to remember the occasion, particularly if we talk about wristwatches and especially at this price range.

Master
    The 21st birthday is a moment of transition and I think it's an occasion for something new that he will use, keep or otherwise treasure for years to come.

Birth year watches are for oldies, nerds, or just an excuse for another watch ;)

Whatever you get, make it new and not something that has belonged to someone else.

IMO.

If he is genuinely getting into watches we will have his whole life to buy pre-owned. Please just get him something new for his 21st, then its his watch from his occasion. He will be 21 in 2014. Get him a 2014 watch, with no internal or external issues and a warranty (just in case). I have nothing against pre-owned but the watch I got for my 21st was new, and will always be 100% mine and my 'history' as its never going anywhere.

Get the best brand you can for the money - Hamilton, Longines, or Seiko and preferably auto.

Craftsman
    Actually, scratch that, I will give you a few anyway ;) . It's very unlikely he won't like these. Chose black dials for more versatility, one very sporty one, one that's both classy and sporty looking and the last one which is pure class

Seiko "Sumo" - bulletproof and in Cyprus you're never far from water so nice to have a diver
    http://www.seiyajapan.com/products/s-sbdc001

Hahahah Thanks Dan. I must admit the Sumo is leading the way at the moment.
    Last edited by Cypjon; 18th June 2014 at 07:26. Reason: Deleted pics.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Longines Hydroquest or Conquest. Done .Brand new in budget and a brand that has a lot of heritage etc
    Thanks Jonny. I am getting closer. Have narrowed it to a Sumo, Monster or a Hydroquest. Eenie Meenie and all that now!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by agee View Post
    Good Luck
    Thanks, I have the breaking strain of a soggy Kit Kat...............Am looking a new now. Thanks.

That is a big MAY. A gift should be more thought as a nice thing to remember the occasion, particularly if we talk about wristwatches and especially at this price range.
    Your Sumo pic got me Dan...............Will make my mind up over the next couple of days and get a watch sorted for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    The 21st birthday is a moment of transition and I think it's an occasion for something new that he will use, keep or otherwise treasure for years to come.

Birth year watches are for oldies, nerds, or just an excuse for another watch ;)

Whatever you get, make it new and not something that has belonged to someone else.

IMO.
    Agreed and thanks for putting it into that perspective...............I am rapidly falling into the nerd category!

Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    If he is genuinely getting into watches we will have his whole life to buy pre-owned. Please just get him something new for his 21st, then its his watch from his occasion. He will be 21 in 2014. Get him a 2014 watch, with no internal or external issues and a warranty (just in case). I have nothing against pre-owned but the watch I got for my 21st was new, and will always be 100% mine and my 'history' as its never going anywhere.

Get the best brand you can for the money - Hamilton, Longines, or Seiko and preferably auto.
    Great advice and thanks Dent. Definitely getting him a new one now.

New definitely. Buying a watch for someone else is tricky so I would suggest something classic..Speed bird 3 if they are still in stock, or maybe a Seiko SARB of some description . monster is a great watch , but not to everyone's taste - can be a bit in your face to some.
    Last edited by seikopath; 18th June 2014 at 07:44.

Banned
    It's his birthday. Just give him the 500 quid. If he wants a watch he will buy one.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Chrono-bargain

Well over budget (by 50%) but a nice watch, might be able to get a Quartz version for budget?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...510-31-00-Sold

This ones sold but very nice, in budget but not a diver, so depending on how big a guy he is that might not work

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...k-dial-REDUCED

Diver, might be on budget but its still the top whack. dont know anything about it or the make but its nice.

Failing that get him something like this, http://www.kentdiving.com/Apeks-Gent...h__p-3091.aspx
    and his open water ticket, That way he can actually dive in his dive watch and its something he will always remember came from you for his birthday.

Thanks Jonny. I am getting closer. Have narrowed it to a Sumo, Monster or a Hydroquest. Eenie Meenie and all that now!
    Hydroquest not easy to get new within your budget, Monsters are everywhere... it's got to be the Sumo! Classy, tough, unusual (outside Japan anyway). It's equally happy at the ambassador's reception or diving a coral reef. Perfect 21st birthday present - I'd have been well happy with one! I had to wait until my 42nd...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe nobodies suggested the Prs-82!

http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm

Craftsman
    +1 for a Sumo or a PRS-68 (I've been bitten by the Seiko diver but recently)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    New definitely. Buying a watch for someone else is tricky so I would suggest something classic..Speed bird 3 if they are still in stock, or maybe a Seiko SARB of some description . monster is a great watch , but not to everyone's taste - can be a bit in your face to some.
    Thanks Buddy. I am 95% sold on a Seiko for him. Have discounted the Monster now and probably going for a Sumo.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Chrono-bargain

Well over budget (by 50%) but a nice watch, might be able to get a Quartz version for budget?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...510-31-00-Sold

This ones sold but very nice, in budget but not a diver, so depending on how big a guy he is that might not work

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...k-dial-REDUCED

Diver, might be on budget but its still the top whack. dont know anything about it or the make but its nice.

Failing that get him something like this, http://www.kentdiving.com/Apeks-Gent...h__p-3091.aspx
    and his open water ticket, That way he can actually dive in his dive watch and its something he will always remember came from you for his birthday.
    Can't see SC yet but thanks for the links. He has his AOW ticket so next step is RD. Think that a Sumo will be the right choice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Hydroquest not easy to get new within your budget, Monsters are everywhere... it's got to be the Sumo! Classy, tough, unusual (outside Japan anyway). It's equally happy at the ambassador's reception or diving a coral reef. Perfect 21st birthday present - I'd have been well happy with one! I had to wait until my 42nd...
    Am starting to chant SUMO SUMO SUMO!

Thanks Bitfield.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I can't believe nobodies suggested the Prs-82!

http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm
    And another one to add................Thanks Gav. To be honest, I am liking some of the suggestions for myself. I will have to raid the cookie jar!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mborkow View Post
    +1 for a Sumo or a PRS-68 (I've been bitten by the Seiko diver but recently)
    Thanks and am nearly there, so now best place to buy a Sumo. Looks like I will order it today.

Master

Ahem...

Our host does a fine range of well priced high quality watches...

I'd go for the Speedbird PRS22 GMT or Smiths 200m Diver PRS68.
    Last edited by cmcm3; 19th June 2014 at 08:15.

Sumo is a great choice. Remember to get it engraved!
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Our host does a fine range of well priced high quality watches...

I'd go for the Speedbird PRS22 GMT or Smiths 200m Diver PRS68.
    Decided on a Sumo and looking at a Speedbird or a Dreadnought for myself now! When will the madness stop?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Sumo is a great choice. Remember to get it engraved!
    Didn't think of that, but for sure will do. Thanks!

Master
    When will the madness stop?
    Dunno, I'm still waiting...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Dunno, I'm still waiting...
    I doubt it will cease, just dropped another few quid on a new watch for myself today!

Craftsman

UPDATE!

Ok, guys, first of all many thanks for all your input.

So today, noticed that Seiya was back up and promptly ordered 2 Sumos. 1 in black for me and 1 in blue for my Son. Also ordered 2 Seiko rubber straps. Couldn't resist not getting myself one!

Will upload a few pics when they arrive.

Thanks again!

Jon

Journeyman

Agreed the hydroconquest is a pretty solid choice for that cash

Master
    ''''''''ASK HIM'''''''''

Ok, guys, first of all many thanks for all your input.

So today, noticed that Seiya was back up and promptly ordered 2 Sumos. 1 in black for me and 1 in blue for my Son. Also ordered 2 Seiko rubber straps. Couldn't resist not getting myself one!

Will upload a few pics when they arrive.

Thanks again!

Jon
    been looking at one of these what was rough cost of sumo delivered as site down at moment as SeiyaJapan is away at a fair

Craftsman
    Guys, he is 21 and not in the watches. He would appreciate something what impresses his mates. Seiko (and more-some particular models) is a fun for us. IMHO decent Hamilton or Ball would make better job. You can find some diver or pilots discounted 40% which fit your budget.

My Dad bought me a watch for my 21st.

It was (and still is) a gold plated Swiss automatic.

I wore it then, since and even now, now and then, but I bet if he'd bought me a Seiko back then it'd have been long consigned to the back of a drawer or thrown away (I've lost track of how many Seikos I had in the past but mysteriously no longer do! 3 or 4 I think).

If this was me, I'd have stretched a bit to a Longines Conquest or Hydroconquest (Yes, I know I like them), because I think it would have looked good enough to impress his mates and would still be a watch he'd want to wear in 30 years time.

Just my opinion, nothing against Seikos as a brand in general, I just don't think the ones mentioned here are 'special' enough for a 21st present.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 4th September 2014 at 12:25.